Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Showdown in St Louis: Best Buy vs. IBEW

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-01-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Electricians's Union (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) has been protesting in front of our local Best Buy for the past few weekends. They have huge signs up outside the parking lots and are handing out anti-BB flyers at traffic intersections.

They say that a new Best Buy being built in Wentzville, MO is using workers paid less than "the area standards wage and benefits rates earned by our members". Best Buy counters that the electricians are hired by the construction company and not by Best Buy: "Best Buy does not control and is not managing that construction".

So when I went to buy a DVD today, I had to go through two union workers handing out flyers. Weird.
Old 04-01-07, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Who cares. Maybe they should get educations then instead of bitching that they can't take 10 months to finish a job which these 'lower paid' workers will do in 2-3 months. Lazy.
Old 04-02-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Who cares. Maybe they should get educations then instead of bitching that they can't take 10 months to finish a job which these 'lower paid' workers will do in 2-3 months. Lazy.

Oh...

Last edited by dablueguy; 04-03-07 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Wow, I guess I you could do their job since it doesn't take an education right? How do you know their education level? Maybe they are complaining that the contractor is using illegal aliens to do the work thereby undercutting Americans trying to earn a living? How do we know? Maybe some day they will get illegals to do your job, then who would be complaining?

It seems very silly to make a blanket statement like that without knowing all the facts...maybe you need to get "educated" on the situation before slandering these tradesmen..
Sigh. My post was clearly sarcastic. Notice how I put 'lazy' at the end of it. You should watch that episode of South Park where they classify a certain race as 'lazy'.

And for the record, most illegals actually DO my job. I live in California, I am the minority. It would be great to go back to college, but registration is already filled due to all the illegals getting in for no other reason then they can't discriminate against them, but can against me. Oh well. This is better suited for the Political forum I suppose.
Old 04-06-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...yeah, Best Buy doesn't hire those electricians. Maybe they should be picketing the construction site instead.

= J
Old 04-07-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Hmmm...yeah, Best Buy doesn't hire those electricians. Maybe they should be picketing the construction site instead.

= J
But then nobody would see them.

Reminds me of a few years back when workers at a regional donut maker went on strike. They picketed in front of independently owned stores that sold the donuts because that was where people would see them. They had no beef at all with the stores.

To make a long story short, in the end everybody who went on strike was fired and the temporary employees hired to make the donuts were made permanent.
Old 04-07-07, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Heat
To make a long story short, in the end everybody who went on strike was fired and the temporary employees hired to make the donuts were made permanent.
Kinda like the grocery strikes here in California a few years back. Alot of scabs became permanent employees.
Old 04-07-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda like the grocery strikes here in California a few years back. Alot of scabs became permanent employees.
Seems fair to me. Nothing is risk free - using a contractor that doesn't hire union, means you've got the risk of being picketed or even having some employees go on strike and hurting your business. Going on strike means you have the risk of permanently losing your job.

No pain, no gain.
Old 04-10-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
In the CA grocery strikes, they set up a two-tiered system where all the old employees got their jobs back and the new employees/scabs got jobs with lower wages. This is the bone of contention between the union and the stores now, which might result in another grocery strike.

So no, not really like the donut one, where the old workers lost their jobs.