Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever accidentally found a place where they shot a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is probably a thread about this but I can't figure out what search terms to use to find it. I live in Washington and I drove out to North Bend the other day to see about a job and when I entered there is a complex of gas stations and fast-food restaurants that I immediately recognized from the lame remake of The Vanishing with Kiefer Sutherland, Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock. Also, nearby, there are some of a few areas where they shot "Twin Peaks" (as evidenced by a restaurant advertising Twin Peaks Pie and Coffee). I know "Northern Exposure" was shot in the area also.

Here are a few screencaps from the movie of the place in question:

There is a Burger King in the movie and it's still there, but the Dairy Queen was replaced by something else as far as I can remember and in the movie the gas station is dressed up as a fictional station (in real life it's a Shell). But Mt. Si restaurant is definetely still there.

Regardless of the movie's suck factor, I just thought it was really neat and cool to see something I clearly remembered from a movie. Anyone else ever stumble upon a place like this?
Old 04-01-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once when I was in Seattle, I was walking with a friend of mine and we entered this neighbourhood that I immediately recognized from many tv shows and movies. Specifically there was a couple episodes of Grey's Anatomy that I know were shot in that exact location.
Old 04-01-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was out in L.A. last summer I recogized a lot of places from Entourage.
Old 04-01-07, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In January I was going to work and accidentally walked through the set of Fred Claus. I was like "Why is there Christmas stuff still up its January?"
Old 04-02-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
Once when I was a teenager (late 80's), I was in New Orleans and myself and several friends were walking around the French Quarter streets and walked right in the middle of a scene being filmed without realizing it. They had barriers up but we just walked around them not knowing what they were doing. We thought it was just to block traffic as many of the streets do down there.

I heard a guy on a megaphone start screaming and he started cussing at us to "move the fuck back!" We were very pleased with ourselves. We never took the time to see what movie was being filmed. We just stepped back, watched the take, and then scurried off the street.
Old 04-02-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great topic. I was driving though Garrison NY a few years back and passed a dilapitated gas station...and did a double take. It was the same one from Jim Jarmusch's Smoke where Forrest Whiitaker's character worked.

On a related note, I was working on a Sunday in Manhattan and was heading to Grand Central. When I turned onto Vanderbilt Ave. There were like 30 crushed cars upside-down in the street. Unfortunately, it was the filming of the crapfest Godzilla.
Old 04-02-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've never been so lucky, but one of our own members (Dabaomb) accidently wandered onto the set of Elf....and ended up in the movie! The thread's still around here somewhere, but the DVD screencap is no longer hosted.
Old 04-02-07, 12:47 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Not exactly - more the other way around. A few years ago while vacationing in Yorkshire my wife and I visited Bolton Abbey. I took a number of photographs of the area, and then a couple of years later, while watching the Neil Labute movie Possession, he used the exact same shot of the abbey as a photograph I had taken.
Old 04-02-07, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
When I was in Prague I came across the park where they filmed an outdoor performance in Amadeus.

It's also fun to watch films shot in and around London, especially my favourite part of town Sloan Square where the Royal Court Theatre is.
Old 04-02-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a double-discovery story.

Years ago, I travelled (from Atlanta) to my company's branch office in L.A. to help set up some new communications equipment. The office is actually in Vernon, which is an industrial area filled with small factories and other light industry. After the branch manager picked me up at LAX, we drove back, and near the office we passed by an entire block of buildings painted with a series of farm scenes. I immediately recognized this as the same location pictured on the cover of the album "Gumbo" by Dr. John:

Which was pretty cool (the buildings are a packing plant for "Farmer John's" meat products, which I presume is a SoCal brand).

However, some years later I saw "Carrie" (after not having seen it since it first came out) and recognized that it was also the outside of the slaughterhouse where the kids get the pig's blood.
Old 04-02-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I ever saw as it was being filmed was the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" music video, outside that famed shop. The group, Deep Blue Five, were all dressed up at the table going through their routine. The director (or maybe an assistant) kept on using a bullhorn to tell passerby to keep on moving and not stop to watch or to look into the cameras.
Old 04-02-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
It's impossible to drive around L.A. without doing this. Probably the most OMG moment was driving through Hawthorne & seeing the Pulp Fiction diner. Sadly closed, but still standing. It's since been demolished. Wish I could've eaten some delicious pork products there.

Here are some pics: http://www.cougartown.com/hollys.html
Old 04-02-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie W
It's impossible to drive around L.A. without doing this.
So true. When I was a kid I grew up in a neighborhood where filming was fairly regular thing. As a matter of fact that new show on Comedy Central, "Halfway Home" uses the same house "Evil Toons" and a few other movies used. As soon as I saw the outside shots of the house I knew where they shot it. I doubt they shoot the show there because they probably shoot it on the lot. But obviously any outside shots of the house are done at that location.

"People under the stairs" was filmed one house over from my childhood apartment building. Anyway, tons of stuff has been shot on that block and I've seen shots of the neighborhood in 70's movies.

On a very personal note, my Father was a truck driver and he bought the truck used in "Never Too Young too Die"(John Stamos and Gene Simmons). It was cool to see my Daddy's future truck in that movie.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-02-07 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 03:52 PM

I live in LA, so I see quite a few places that I recognize from movies and TV. Most are filmed on popular locations, such as 24 and Spider-Man 1 on 7th and Fig, Blade 1 on Broadway, Shark at the nearby rail station, and The Shield just about anywhere in a 'bad' side of LA. That's just a scratch of what I've seen. I've been the Langers where they've filmed Curb Your Enthusiasm, Pinks - Entourage, and the mall where they shot Jackie Brown. So it's pretty cool to be in LA, sometimes.
Old 04-02-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts
I was visiting San Francisco several years ago and stumbled upon a Carnival in a local park. I thought it was odd that it was roped off and no one was inside until I saw a Jim Henson Productions truck parked along the street. Several years later I'm watching Eddie Murphy's Dr. Doolittle and notice that it's the carnival I saw.
Old 04-02-07, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Speaking of which in Chicago I walk through locations all the time. A lot of the movie Weather Man was shot not far from my old job. I remember when they were shooting Mind of the Married Man here.
Old 04-02-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yeah, being in L.A. it's pretty much a given to see a film and then say "That's not new york, that's downtown L.A!" or what have you.
Old 04-02-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Yup, Dogma.

The scene where they are in a small parking lot with hockey sticks (towards the beginning). I believe they said it was an abortion clinic in the movie. It was shot right down the street from me in a town called New Kensington, Pa.. At the time, they said the movie was going to be called BearClaw. If someone can post a capture of the building I described, I can post a photo of it from now-a-days.

I also go to the Monroeville Mall all the time, which is where they shot Dawn of the Dead. I posted a bunch of then/now pics before.
Old 04-02-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Eplicon
The only thing I ever saw as it was being filmed was the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" music video, outside that famed shop. The group, Deep Blue Five, were all dressed up at the table going through their routine.
You mean Deep Blue Something.

I walk through times square (as featured in vanilla sky) everyday to get to work...does that count?
Old 04-02-07, 11:10 PM
Banned

I was on the Tour at universal studios and they were filming the parade scene from Jingle all the way.
Old 04-02-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Mt. Si is definitely the famous Twin Peaks mountain. I was in North Bend and Snoqualmie and visited the sites (including the exact spot of the Twin Peaks sign next to the windy road and in front of Mt. Si), but I don't count that, since I went there on purpose while working in Seattle. I also went walking up the railway where Laura was killed and found a stack of firewood in the middle of nowhere (no houses, just railroad track). I had to grab a single Loglady log.

(This is kind of the other way around, but) I was watching Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks and was shocked to recognize the movie theater that I used to go to every week (Tuesdays were $1 day back in 1983-84) when I was a kid. This was in Simi Valley, so it's really hard to count it either, just like all the LA sites since that's where they make most movies and TV shows. Unless it's iconic, like say you lived next door to the Brady Bunch house, it's hard to really count LA locations.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-02-07 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I live in Washington and I drove out to North Bend the other day to see about a job and when I entered there is a complex of gas stations and fast-food restaurants that I immediately recognized from the lame remake of The Vanishing with Kiefer Sutherland, Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock. 19/mtsi3.jpg[/IMG]

There is a Burger King in the movie and it's still there
That's funny, I've never seen the movie but have driven past this many times. I've eaten at the BK too.

I drive by the cemetery in Everett pretty often, where they filmed a scene from Assassins (12 yrs ago!). I went and watched em film for about 20 minutes - Stallone waived.

Of course there's the Deception Pass bridge from The Ring, which everyone who camps has driven over.

Not a lot happening in the Seattle scene for feature films, so it's still a neat thing to see and hear about filming locations.
Old 04-03-07, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

By accident i saw some of the houses where the Wire was filmed (that ain't a fun place to get lost in trust me)
Old 04-03-07, 09:16 AM

Living in Indiana, I don't get a chance to see a lot of movie locations. However one day I was visiting Bloomington, and while wandering "downtown" I recognized several locations seen in "Breaking Away."
Old 04-03-07, 10:18 AM

I ate dinner at the same spot Woddy Harrelson sat and ate at in the movie KINGPEN

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.