Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is a MacGuffin?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What is a MacGuffin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
What is a MacGuffin?

Can someone give me a clear definition of what a MacGuffin is?

I see this term often when a reviewer describes the plot of a movie.
Old 04-01-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Can someone give me a clear definition of what a MacGuffin is?
I see this term often when a reviewer describes the plot of a movie.
The first return google gives me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin or Maguffin) is a plot device that motivates the characters and advances the story, but has little other relevance to the story.
The titular statuette in The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The microfilm in North by Northwest (1959)
The glowing briefcase in Pulp Fiction (1994)
The "metal case" in Ronin (1998)

Last edited by covenant; 04-01-07 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A MacGuffin is something that doesn't really matter, but drives the plot. This is generally something the characters want, but doesn't actually do anything or mean anything to them other than wanting it and motivating the characters to go and get it (or attempt to get it), thus moving the story along.
Old 04-01-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rabbits foot in Mission Impossible: III
Microprocessors in The Departed.
Old 04-01-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes a MacGuffin can be a person, wouldn't Jeremy Piven's character be considered a MacGuffin in Smokin' Aces? I haven't seen the movie.
Old 04-01-07, 04:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Any Nicholas Cage movie.

jk
Old 04-01-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It's a tasty breakfast sandwich sold at McDonald's.
Old 04-01-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sometimes a MacGuffin can be a person, wouldn't Jeremy Piven's character be considered a MacGuffin in Smokin' Aces? I haven't seen the movie.
Yeah, he's probably a MacGuffin.
Old 04-01-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Laura Palmer's death was intended to be the MacGuffin in Twin Peaks.
Old 04-02-07, 04:30 PM

I read the money in Hitchcock's Psycho is, and that's where the word was created, or started.
Old 04-02-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought the MacGuffin originated in "Notorious" with the champagne bottle full of uranium.
Old 04-02-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
I thought the MacGuffin originated in "Notorious" with the champagne bottle full of uranium.
One of them. Hitchock was noted for including them as plot devices.
Old 04-03-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The champagne bottle is just one of MacGuffin. Hitch have already did several movies with MacGuffin before Notorious, such as The Lady Vanishes.
Old 04-05-07, 02:11 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
The whole backstory of "Children of Men" was a MacGuffin. An unecessary one at that.
Old 04-05-07, 07:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
Laura Palmer's death was intended to be the MacGuffin in Twin Peaks.
I could certainly see it being intended that way, but it didn't come off as a MacGuffin.
Old 04-05-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rosebud in Citizen Kane and Letters of Transist in Casablanca.
Old 04-05-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a type of bird.
Old 04-06-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"the body" in stand by me?
Old 04-06-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would argue that "Rosebud" isn't a MacGuffin in Citizen Kane, as it in no way has "little relevence to the story". That Rosebud reveal was one of the most devestating things I've ever seen on film, when you finally realise what it meant to the character of Kane. It had huge relevance.
Old 04-07-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
That Rosebud reveal was one of the most devestating things I've ever seen on film, when you finally realise what it meant to the character of Kane. It had huge relevance.
According to some sources, including Kenneth Anger's "Hollywood Babylon", Rosebud was really W.R.Hearst's nickname for his favorite part of Marion Davies's sexual organ.
Old 04-07-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
According to some sources, including Kenneth Anger's "Hollywood Babylon", Rosebud was really W.R.Hearst's nickname for his favorite part of Marion Davies's sexual organ.
LOL. Well it was devastating in the context of the film. Just absolutely sucked the wind out of me.
Old 04-07-07, 10:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
LOL. Well it was devastating in the context of the film. Just absolutely sucked the wind out of me.
Interested why you think it was "devastating".
Old 04-07-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was just really emotional. Once you realise what "Rosebud" is, and when you realise that flashback halfway through the film that seemed like it could be written off as just backstory comes full cricle and really means something now that you have seen what Kane had become before he died.

Filmsite.org explains it much better than I can:
Spoiler:
"Only film viewers in the audience are let in on the mysterious, dramatic meaning of Rosebud after Thompson leaves, moving off with other reporters. The camera now shows the incredible accumulation of Kane's acquisitions over a lifetime. The camera slowly glides over years and years of his pitiless pieces of material goods, looking like a broken jigsaw puzzle, a deserted skyscraper city, or a metropolis when photographed from high above. [Steven Spielberg memorialized this shot in his ending to Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), when the crated Ark of the Covenant is stored in another vast warehouse.] There in the piles of possessions are: iron bedframes, an open, wooden toybox (with a few dolls and a picture of Kane around the time of his first marriage), a pile of old newspapers wrapped in twine, a photograph of Kane as a boy with his mother, and a snow sled (that is picked up by a workman). Kane's life appears as a disjointed collection of failed energy to productively use resources.

In the basement beneath Xanadu, workers clear away the vast array of junk and articles. A workman is sorting and crating his possessions near an incinerator, a blazing furnace where items are thrown that are considered junk. The worker with the sled in his hands is told by Raymond, the butler, to toss it into the flames of the incinerator to be consumed, along with an accumulation of other possessions. The words are the final ones uttered in the film:

Throw that junk.

The sled is an enduring and beautiful symbol of Kane's life. The name "Rosebud" (and its decorative, painted blooming flower) is briefly seen on the sled in a close-up before the bonfire's heat warps and blisters the paint and it is consumed by the flames. The two sleds in the film significantly exemplify different aspects of Kane's life:

Rosebud: decoratively-painted, placid, pretty, from nature, innocent (from his childhood home and a reminder of his mother)
Crusader: metallic, strident, cold and heartless, crusading (received from Thatcher when Kane was taken from his home to be a ward of the impersonal banking interest)
[Does this answer the film's fundamental question? Or is it just another piece of the gigantic puzzle of his life?]

The "Rosebud" sled is a memento from Kane's childhood with his mother, a childhood that was interrupted and abandoned by the opportunities wealth and fortune bestowed upon him. When he glimpsed the snow crystal paperweight on his deathbed, Kane might have imagined the house in the globe was Mrs. Kane's boarding house, and had a fleeting, dim memory of the sled that he loved there. The sled symbolized the innocence, beauty, and love that he lost, the love that eluded him - a dying man's memory of a childhood possession that held special meaning for him.

He also might have remembered his first meeting with Susan where he first saw the globe - she was the one true love in his life (in the words of the El Rancho nightclub waiter: "Why, 'til he died, she'd just as soon talk about Mr. Kane as about anybody"). She wasn't impressed by his wealth - and they experienced a loving relationship until his tyrannical demands led her to abandon him. She left to prove that she could act independently of him (in her own words: "I can't do this to you? Oh, yes I can"). He died an old man, friendless, loveless, but wealthy and able to buy Susan's love, but not truly invested in her. His power and wealth were unable to halt his decline - his crusade to be a trust-busting champion of the people faltered amidst storehouses of wealth and opulence."

Last edited by hardercore; 04-07-07 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I like egg MacGuffins best. With bacon.