Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor to have another all-star edition?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 05:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Sh...845512-ca.html

Rumours that another "All-Stars" installment is on the way this fall due to Survivor's decline in mainstream popularity over the last few seasons, don't surprise Probst at all. On record as not being a fan of the concept the first time around, Probst would like to see a different "All-Stars" format such as giving past players that fans might not think of as true 'All-Stars' a second chance or maybe pitting a group of "All-Stars" against other players.

"My own personal preference is really irrelevant. This is a show we make for the people who watch it and we have been blessed with a loyal fan base who do want another "All-Stars" and it is not out of the question to have another one," he said.

Perhaps this is another way for CBS to get Boston Rob to appear on tv. I'm not down for another all-star edition and I don't want to see an "all-star" season in which the whole cast is made up with the first person booted out from their season.

I know CBS has signed on for 1 more season of Survivor. The contract can always be extended. The ratings are still good so I see no reason why Survivor can't go on for a few more years.
Old 03-31-07, 07:25 PM

bring back Rudy and maybe they can bring back Boston Rob to fight Rocky from this season.
Old 03-31-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
How about a real all-star edition: bring back each winner and make the prize $5 million.
Old 03-31-07, 07:42 PM

I can only think of a handful of former players since the last train wreck edition of all-stars that would be worthy of being picked for an all-stars edition. I imagine that instead of getting Tom and/or Terry back, we'd get more of the over-rated Stephame...or perhaps that crying quitter Ian.

Instead of an all-stars edition or a lame twist have/have-nots edition...they should go back to casting people from audition tapes and not recruiting them. Then we'd have people that are fans of the show and perhaps would know how to play....instead of people like Lisi that have how the numbers in the game works spelled out for them and they still don't get it.
Old 03-31-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please no more Rob and Amber. I know almost everyone loves these 2 but I'm really getting tired of seeing them.
Old 03-31-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only remaining twist in the Rob versus Amber thing would be to split them up, which would surely mean paranoid players would quickly vote them off because they know they have extra-team alliances built in.

If they have to do it, why not bring in everybody eliminated first?
Old 03-31-07, 08:37 PM

I'd like to see it as only people from season 9 to the present. There would be plenty of good candidates from those seasons.
Just a few:
Twila, Sarge, Chad, Ian, Tom, Terry, Johnathan, Shane, Judd etc. Great players and characters. Not sure if I'd let Steph and Bobby-Jon back. I think twice should be the limit, besides if they were in it they would be out first for that reason.
Old 03-31-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob and Amber mentioned on Regis & Kelly they had some big news but couldnt say at the time so i wonder if its connected although i cant imagine theyd do it again since they would be target #1 and #2.
Old 03-31-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
How about a real all-star edition: bring back each winner and make the prize $5 million.
That would be awesome!
Old 03-31-07, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by kidindy
Ian
Explain to me why a quitter is a good candidate?
Old 03-31-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James

If they have to do it, why not bring in everybody eliminated first?
Because there is a reason they are elimimated first: they annoy the shit out of everyone.
Old 03-31-07, 09:22 PM

As long as Johnny Fairplay, Lil, and Sandra show up and are all on the same tribe, I'm in.
Old 03-31-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Because there is a reason they are elimimated first: they annoy the shit out of everyone.
Exactly. I think it would be fun to see that dynamic play out. The audience might be annoyed, but the annoying people who were the finalists would have endured perhaps the most horrific conditions on the show yet.
Old 03-31-07, 10:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I imagine it would be hard to get Richard Hatch out of jail.
Old 03-31-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knowing CBS they would make each winner give back the million bucks and then just compete for the 5mill.

please no more Rob and Amber. I know almost everyone loves these 2 but I'm really getting tired of seeing them.
I'm with you there, the only thing sadly was that they wern't that annoying this time around on the Amazing race: all-stars.

i would actually like to see another all-star edition as long as they put the man-"Yaw Man"! in it, then im all for it.
Adding Rubert would be the icing on the cake, he would have alot of money!
Old 03-31-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianflow
I imagine it would be hard to get Richard Hatch out of jail.
LOL

Survivor All-Stars: Prison Break
Old 04-01-07, 12:50 AM

They should post fifty audition tapes of new people and let people vote who they want on the show. It would build some buzz for season.
Old 04-01-07, 11:20 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
...maybe they can bring back Boston Rob to fight Rocky from this season.
That would be like pairing a heavyweight fighter against a flyweight. Rob actually won challenges.
Old 04-01-07, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silt
Explain to me why a quitter is a good candidate?
I don't think Ian is a quitter in the sense of this game. The others who have quit did so either because they could not handle being there or because of a dieing loved one/naked Richard Hatch. Ian made a deal with Tom to try to redeem himself for his past actions/lies. How many of use would place honor and integrity over a million dollars?
Old 04-01-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just think upping the prize would make the regular seasons better as well. They can certainly afford it.
Old 04-01-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To keep the winners from all getting voted out at the begining, you could have one tribe full of sole survivors, and another with a group of other popular players. If the winners go to the merge with the advantage, they're in good shape. If not, probably screwed. Could be interesting.

Or, don't do it at all and make a point to cast interesting characters.
Old 04-01-07, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by kidindy
I don't think Ian is a quitter in the sense of this game. The others who have quit did so either because they could not handle being there or because of a dieing loved one/naked Richard Hatch. Ian made a deal with Tom to try to redeem himself for his past actions/lies. How many of use would place honor and integrity over a million dollars?

Ian was manipulated into feeling guilty by a superior player....a player who did quite the same thing to others during the game that he was getting on to Ian for planning to do to him. Ian even got worked over mentally by Katie, who is easily one of the most useless Survivors in history and perhaps one of the few to actually gain weight during a season.

He was made to feel guilty for planning to lie and backstab in a game that is built on lying and backstabbing. So he quit. Simple as that.

If you'd place "honor and integrity" over a million dollars in the confines of the game, you shouldn't be on Survivor in the first place...let alone on an all-stars edition of the show. I wouldn't be shocked to find out Ian's kicked himself in the ass a 1,000 times since that season ended...
Old 04-02-07, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
To keep the winners from all getting voted out at the begining, you could have one tribe full of sole survivors, and another with a group of other popular players. If the winners go to the merge with the advantage, they're in good shape. If not, probably screwed. Could be interesting.

Or, don't do it at all and make a point to cast interesting characters.
That sounds like a good idea, but how many seasons since the last all-stars have there been ? Wouldn't they need to get all of the winners to participate, and how many would that be (assuming that there would be 2 tribes and only allowing contestants newer than the last all-stars to be on).

Though i guess you could have 3 tribes to start, one being made up of winners (or maybe winners/2nd places).

I want to see a Tom/Terry/Ozzy immunity challenge showdown!!
Old 04-02-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
That sounds like a good idea, but how many seasons since the last all-stars have there been ? Wouldn't they need to get all of the winners to participate, and how many would that be (assuming that there would be 2 tribes and only allowing contestants newer than the last all-stars to be on).

Though i guess you could have 3 tribes to start, one being made up of winners (or maybe winners/2nd places).

I want to see a Tom/Terry/Ozzy immunity challenge showdown!!
Including the current season, there have been 6 since the last all-stars
Old 04-02-07, 10:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An idea I had, although it may not be workable, is to have a pair of contestants from each season. They would play the entire game as a unit and split a 2 million dollar prize if they won. And these pairs would put in tribes together and treated as an individual unit. And you only get one vote as a pair. So say one pair was Rich Hatch and Sue Hawk. In tribal council you would be voting out Sue and Rich as a unit.

The interesting thing about this is it FORCES the two players to work together. Pairs would have to make alliances with BOTH members of another pair for it to work. And you could really mess with the pairings. Pair up two people who hate each other, or maybe one 'nice' player with one backstabber. Just the inter-team dynamics would provide a high level of entertainment and shake up the formula a bit.

And in reality, this idea could just as easily be applied to a non-all-star edition. Pairing up random strangers might work just as well, especially if you had someone with a disruptive streak like Rocky paired with a calm and collected player like Yul.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.