Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy A Second Opinion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 11:14 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just discovered something startling, Hitchhiker, which I thought was pretty bad when I saw it in the theater, is actually good when your blood alcohol level is above .10!
Old 03-30-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So's this thread.
Old 03-31-07, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really even the "Thanks for All the Fish" song?? wow you must be wasted!
Old 03-31-07, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How is this news? I mean, the movie even told you the answer to making it better. 42(oz of your choice malt liqour)
Old 03-31-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember my first beer.

Count me as one of the few sober people to like this flick. Especially the "Thanks for All the Fish" song.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 03-31-07, 11:26 AM

I have now seen the film altogether six times (one of them being with commentary). It got better on every viewing up until the fourth time I watched it, after which it has steadily started to get worse again.

I think I probably won't be watching it again anytime soon so that it stays at least relatively watchable for those who haven't seen it yet.
Old 03-31-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a fan of the book, I really enjoy the movie! Here's hoping for a sequel!
Old 03-31-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also really enjoyed the movie (especially the song!), and I have read the books and watched the miniseries, and I've never had a drink in my life...

I'm weird.

Last edited by Sondheim; 04-01-07 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The movie was godawful, it started OK but just turned into complete garbage as it went along. As a fan of the novels, I was bummed. Paranoid, even.
Old 03-31-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I preferred the miniseries to the movie, but the movie, imo, was still pretty good.
Old 04-01-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This movie blows more than Stealth.
Old 04-01-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chase3001
I preferred the miniseries to the movie, but the movie, imo, was still pretty good.
Is the miniseries on DVD?
Old 04-01-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I think the movie is great, the opening song doubly so. I can't imagine that anyone can hate that song even if they don't care for the rest of the movie.

Every iteration of the story has had some differences, I can't imagine why so many folks bag on it for doing it's own thing.
Old 04-01-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Is the miniseries on DVD?
Yes.
Old 04-01-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Movie was great the first time I saw it, but on subsequent viewings my opinion decreased due to its major differences from the book. I want to marry Zooey Deschanel though. She's way better than the fish song.
Old 04-01-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
As a guy knows the books, but never read them, this movie knocks my socks off. I like to play it in the background when I'm working at home. The replay value is way up there. I'd say that I've watched it a good 5 times. And played it a good 10-15 times.

It is what it is. It's a technically-acheiving, consistanly enjoyable movie with plenty of good parts. The production design is just dazzling to me. It makes the effects blend very well. It's one of a kind. I can't compare it to anything else. Poking fun at religon, thought process, and logic.

The movie definately talked over a lot of people's heads. Which is really a shame. Because I like to think that people, in general, are smarter on the inside than they appear. I remember seeing it in theaters, twice. There were a lot of people that couldn't seem to articulate exactly what they saw. Lots of the comments were like, "wtf was that" and, "that was stupid". Nobody reaalllyyy had anything bad to say about it. And, so far, I have yet to see a comment that gets into WHY the movie was bad. THAT blows.

It's like, the movie keeps it's world and it's ideas very self contained. And it explains everything you need to know, rather explicably. And people still - didn't - get - it. This became set-in-stone apparent when I was watching it with the family last Christmas, and they sumed it up the same way. I was pretty bummed that I had to keep answering their questions about what was going on.

Then, of course, there's ALWAYS the impossible-to-please fans of the book. Which is understandable. Books create little movies in your mind. As a fan, it's always a real trip to see your vision of the book, cut up, and displayed on an actual movie screen.
Old 04-01-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was okay. It met my minimum requirements for a H2G2 movie. It wasn't as good as I had hope it would be, but it was wasn't bad enough for me to want to hate it. The biggest problem was that it was just too short. There was too much stuff to cram into it's running length. All the jokes seemed rushed, they needed more breathing room to really work.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 04-01-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to see nearly every movie that came out in theaters. It was this movie that made me use more discretion when choosing what I will see theatrically.
Old 04-01-07, 06:59 PM

I had no idea this film was so hated. I've watched it countless times, and saw it in the theater. I remember being unsure but was dragged by my girlfriend. The moment the opening song started I knew the movie was going to rock... and it did. Ive never read the books though, but still, even if you have I don't get how this movie can't be seen as a good comedy...
Old 04-01-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Awhile ago I wrote part of a script for a movie. It's probably unfilmable and perceptive people will probably say that it's pretty much just the novel transcribed into an improper screenplay format but my "direction" is written in there as it isn't supposed to be, and so if you're bored you can take a look. I didn't finish.

http://www.comingsoon.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25134
Old 04-01-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also like the movie, and didn't really find the changes in it from the book all that detracting at all. I enjoyed it much more than the made for TV miniseries. I hope they continue the adaptations of books into movies.
Old 04-02-07, 02:09 AM

I liked it. Thought it was clever, funny, and visually appealing. I've seen it about 3 times and enjoyed it equally with each viewing.
Old 04-02-07, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
I also loved the mini. The movie did nothing for me. I went in with great expectations and left with a, "meh" feeling. It was neither good nor bad just ok.
Old 04-02-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I've NEVER been one to complain about changes in a movie for the sake of adaptation. Films work differently than TV and Radio and Books. This was just an adaptation that missed the mark. I just thought this film missed what made the other versions so funny, which was the absurdly overwrought Python-esque dialogue. They had to trim it down so much that the film had to depend upon its plot, which it never really had much of to begin with. It was just one absurd situation after another and if they couldn't talk absurdly about it, then it was just...a situation. A shame, really. I was so looking forward to it. I did like the dolphin song, though, and I didn't even mind Mos Def. I was bummed the budget didn't allow for Zaphod to have a proper second head, too.
Old 04-03-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chalk me up in the "I never knew it was hated....I loved it" column.

I've read the books, and I understand that you simply can't get everything from the book into the film.

Kinda like the Potter flicks. Very enjoyable, a few things different from the books (or perhaps just left out). Those books, and CERTAINLY Hitchhiker's would have to have multiple films to try and cram in everything per book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.