Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How to remove dust depot on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-30-07, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some of my dvds suffer from that unpleasant situation...they're not scratched at all, but it's like they have this dust depot on them that seems to be unremovable..like it is printed on the surface of the disc..is there a way I can remove that? I tried boiling water so far..did work a little but not that much
Old 03-31-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
brillo
Old 03-31-07, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dust depots must remain so that the dust despots can get to and from their destinations, since they're destitute from smoking dust
Old 03-31-07, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
dust depots must remain so that the dust despots can get to and from their destinations, since they're destitute from smoking dust
this is a smoke free home and I'm not sure if I get what you meant there..
Old 03-31-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 03-31-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WTF is a dust depot?
Old 03-31-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I think he means "deposits".
Old 03-31-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't get those dust deposits stuck on the surface of a DVD unless you leave it out exposed for a long ass time. I've had that happen with CD-Rs I've burned that had mistakes and I toss off to the side of my desk and I forget about them and I see those little spots on there you can't get off. Why are you leaving your DVDs out so long?
Old 03-31-07, 03:07 PM

yeah that's what happened, dunno I moved to Montreal like 6 months ago and forgot some CDs over here, and well they took them out of the player without my knowledge..so they have those deposits on them..
Old 03-31-07, 04:54 PM
Banned

no deposit, no return
Old 03-31-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Water...... lint-free cloth.....wipe in a straight line from center spindle to outer edge?????
Old 03-31-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Check office depot or home depot for the proper cleaner to take care of your dust depot.
Old 04-01-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Water...... lint-free cloth.....wipe in a straight line from center spindle to outer edge?????
It won't work.
Old 04-01-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazy123

I guess this is directed to me? Or to the OP??? I don't quite get it....

Assuming it's directed to me....you can't get those types of dust deposits off with just water and a cloth. We are talking about those small dots that appear on a disc after it's been left exposed to the elements for an extended period of time. I think the OP said he's got a DVD that had dust collect on it for four months. You wipe the dust away and there are dots left on the disc that are damn near impossible to remove. I say "near impossible" but I've never been able to get them off. Luckily for me I've only had this problem with CD-Rs and a couple old CD-ROM games I didn't want anymore anyway, so I never tried to find an alternative to get them off outside of the normal disc cleaners people use.

So if there is a way to get these off, I would hope somebody would post a solution, if there is a cleaner that can get these off.
Old 04-01-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I guess this is directed to me? Or to the OP??? I don't quite get it....

Assuming it's directed to me....you can't get those types of dust deposits off with just water and a cloth. We are talking about those small dots that appear on a disc after it's been left exposed to the elements for an extended period of time. I think the OP said he's got a DVD that had dust collect on it for four months. You wipe the dust away and there are dots left on the disc that are damn near impossible to remove. I say "near impossible" but I've never been able to get them off. Luckily for me I've only had this problem with CD-Rs and a couple old CD-ROM games I didn't want anymore anyway, so I never tried to find an alternative to get them off outside of the normal disc cleaners people use.

So if there is a way to get these off, I would hope somebody would post a solution, if there is a cleaner that can get these off.

How about:

Boiling in water ...... lint-free cloth.....wipe in a straight line from center spindle to outer edge?????
Old 04-01-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
How about:

Boiling in water ...... lint-free cloth.....wipe in a straight line from center spindle to outer edge?????
Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
I tried boiling water so far..did work a little but not that much
Old 04-01-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do they affect playability? If not, who cares, leave them there.
Old 04-01-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Some people are really particular about crap on their discs. If this happened to a DVD of mine, I'd want to replace it.

But then again, I don't leave my DVD's out. They're either in the DVD player, or in their case. The only time I ever leave a DVD out is if I'm just swapping in something like Family Guy, where I'll only be watching for a half an hour... then I'll put the other disc back in. Even then though, I usually put DVD's in the case of whatever it is I'm currently watching so they're not left out. I have to get back in that case again eventually anyway... so I'm not leaving any other disc out.

Just sounds like you took pretty poor care of your DVD's, or at least whatever particular one(s) you're speaking of.

But on the bright side, you've learned a lesson. If you're really so worried about the disc that you want to try everything under gods creation to get it cleaned again... just do yourself a favor, replace the disc, eat the cost, and learn from your mistakes and take care of your discs better in the future.
Old 04-01-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Do they affect playability? If not, who cares, leave them there.
I haven't tried to play any myself (they have always been discs I meant to throw away anyway) but I have heard of this happening with games, like PS2 or XBOX or others, and no, they do not play. The deposits interfere with the laser.
Old 04-02-07, 09:44 PM

For those of you who cares about this, I actually found a way to remove them...it involves toothpaste..

Here's what I did, I poored some paste on the disc, then gently with the tip of my finger, I made sure there was toothpaste all over the surface, and left it there for a few minutes...and then I rinced the whole thing with hot water to make sure there was no more paste and voila, I'd say 95% of it was gone!
Old 04-02-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
For those of you who cares about this, I actually found a way to remove them...it involves toothpaste..

Here's what I did, I poored some paste on the disc, then gently with the tip of my finger, I made sure there was toothpaste all over the surface, and left it there for a few minutes...and then I rinced the whole thing with hot water to make sure there was no more paste and voila, I'd say 95% of it was gone!
Great tip! I don't know if I have any discs around to try it out on, though. I heard about the toothpaste and hot water tip to help discs read with scratches too.