Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Crazy movie stunts

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy movie stunts

I just learned that the crocs in JB 007 Live & Let Die were real

Thats pretty crazy stunt if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxwLRl9NYJ4

Do you know any dangerous stunts performed by real actors and not by stuntmen?
Old 03-30-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Bond stunt was indeed a stuntman not Roger Moore. I am guessing you mean stunts performed by a real person and not CGI or special effects. If that is the case I will have to say the motorcycle crash from THX-1138 is at the top of the list.
Old 03-30-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Jackie's clock-fall on Project A. Can't BELIEVE he didn't break his neck!

More to come later..
Old 03-30-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Go to the Lethal Weapon 4 disc and look at the extras. There's the stunt where they drive thru a building and come out the other side between 2 window washers. You can clearly see that in this take (which is different from the one in the film) the car actually clips one of the window washers trying to jump out of the way.
Old 03-30-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
The Road Warrior has some incredible stunts in the highway battle finale.
Old 03-30-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
the one where harrison ford flew into the giant worm's mouth. omg. what if the worm actually swallowed?!?!?!!11
Old 03-30-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Go to the Lethal Weapon 4 disc and look at the extras. There's the stunt where they drive thru a building and come out the other side between 2 window washers. You can clearly see that in this take (which is different from the one in the film) the car actually clips one of the window washers trying to jump out of the way.
I agree, when I saw that I rewatched it about 4 times. Couldn't believe it!
There is a stunt in the remake of the Italian Job where the copter is following the mini over a hill and another car goes right underneath it, right between the skids and the copter was also at a slight angle. Very close.
Old 03-30-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fire up just about any Jackie Chan movie and you can see *REAL* people doing crazy ass stunts.

I'd nominate Michelle Yeoh from "Polce Story 3" when she landed that motorcycle on the moving train.
Old 03-30-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jackie Chan has done some good ones, but Dar Robinson is the king. That dude was crazy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar_Robinson

Honorable mention to Rick Sylvester who skiied off the mountain in The Spy Who Loved Me. That was badass!
Old 03-30-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tdirgins
Jackie Chan has done some good ones, but Dar Robinson is the king. That dude was crazy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar_Robinson
Ah, good ol' Dar.
A&E would often run a documentary about him from time to time. Probably his most memorable stunt would have been his plunge in Burt Reynolds' Stick. No rear projection or any effects to prove that he wasn't gonna land on an airbag below. And no parachute underneath his outfit. Just a wire connected to his leg (Never noticable in the shot, miraculously)
Old 03-30-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really a stunt but a blooper and I assume is real ... on the two disc edition of "Punch Drunk Love", there's a commercial for Philip Seymour Hoffman's store that was shot but not used in the movie. PSH is standing on the roof of his store, playing the guitar and hawking matresses. Below him is an old station wagon with many matresses strapped to the top, probably to nine or ten feet high. PSH jumps off of the roof, intending to land safely on the matresses, but hits and bounces off, landing very awkwardly on the ground ten feet below (he never lets go of the guitar and doesn't use his arms to break his fall). He is lucky he didn't wind up paralyzed. I think he is a former wrestler so has some experience taking a fall but this was a pretty amazing sight.
Old 03-30-07, 03:25 PM

Lillian Gish jumping around under extremely cold environment in Way Down East (1920) and apparently from imdb trivia it "somewhat impaired" her hand.
Old 03-30-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Along with Jackie, I'll give it up to the guys in Ong Bak. IIRC, the shoot was extended due to so many injuries during the filming. Not only is Jaa amazing, but the fight scenes were outrageous (especially the cave sequence where Jaa picks up the pole and you see the slow-mo shots of the pole actually hitting actors).
Old 03-30-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess you could include Brandon Lee in this category
Old 03-30-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the Silent Era they were still developing the "technique" of appearing to take dangerous risks for the benefit of audience thrills. So you had things like the ice scene mentioned from "Way Down East"; Fritz Lang "Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler" where they used live ammunition throughout; the Buster Keaton scene where he stands expressionless while the entire facade of a wooden building collapses in one huge piece around him and he remains unscathed because in his specific little spot was an open element (window or something).
Sometimes these risks proved to be too great: the career of the pioneers didn't last long through injuries and worse. A lot of deaths during one raging river scene in one early film.
Still happens: let's not forget Vic Morrow.
Old 05-22-07, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just thought of another one. In The Peacemaker with George Clooney, in the bridge sequence when the helicopter is lowering down the missile container with Clooneys stunt double on top. When the container hits the ground the stunt man jumps down and does a roll, as well as the container. It looks like the container just misses rolling on top of him.
Old 05-22-07, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Not really a stunt but a blooper and I assume is real ... on the two disc edition of "Punch Drunk Love", there's a commercial for Philip Seymour Hoffman's store that was shot but not used in the movie. PSH is standing on the roof of his store, playing the guitar and hawking matresses. Below him is an old station wagon with many matresses strapped to the top, probably to nine or ten feet high. PSH jumps off of the roof, intending to land safely on the matresses, but hits and bounces off, landing very awkwardly on the ground ten feet below (he never lets go of the guitar and doesn't use his arms to break his fall). He is lucky he didn't wind up paralyzed. I think he is a former wrestler so has some experience taking a fall but this was a pretty amazing sight.
This is actually a copy of an actual commercial gone wrong. Check it out:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGelfTwJWPI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oGelfTwJWPI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56
The Road Warrior has some incredible stunts in the highway battle finale.
Yeah, just watched the new BD release and couldn't believe how insane those drivers were at the end, especially one stunt where the pickup(?) truck with the guy at the mounted gun on the back drive nearly under the rear wheels of the semi and almost lose control when it gets pushed back out.
Old 05-22-07, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, just watched the new BD release and couldn't believe how insane those drivers were at the end, especially one stunt where the pickup(?) truck with the guy at the mounted gun on the back drive nearly under the rear wheels of the semi and almost lose control when it gets pushed back out.
the film's frantic editing style and camera movement/film speed also added to the dangerous stunt work.
Old 05-22-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
The "corkscrew" car jump in The Man With the Golden Gun is simply amazing. Very dangerous, but well planned out. The end result is much better than any CGI crap.
Old 05-22-07, 03:40 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iM7WqxTyg5s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iM7WqxTyg5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-07, 07:59 PM

I always liked the end of the opening sequence from "The Spy Who Loved Me." I'm not sure who the stuntman is, but I can't believe he actually ski-ed off that cliff.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpPQaLC3Y7E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpPQaLC3Y7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never saw that Twilight Zone: Movie footage. That's pretty f'ed up.
Old 05-22-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE

I'd nominate Michelle Yeoh from "Polce Story 3" when she landed that motorcycle on the moving train.

That's the one I immediately thought of. Even more impressive considering she wasn't even a stunt driver or anything.
Old 05-22-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Zoe Bell in Death Proof comes to mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.