Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX Elite- The info

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XBOX Elite- The info

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...t.campSrc=Home

"Think about these [the three versions of the Xbox 360] as if they are bundles. The console is the same, we did some neat stuff because a lot of people said they liked black," Albert Penello, Director of Global Platform Marketing for Xbox, says, while he explains the new Elite version of the Xbox 360. "We think it's cool to try something interesting. When you're a new customer, what configuration makes sense for you? All three of these consoles are different bundles."

Microsoft announced the "Elite" version of the Xbox 360, an announcement that comes after numerous reports of an expected console revision (remember how Microsoft downgraded shipment figures back at CES?), and as previously speculated the Elite will be available in late April (April 29) for $479.99.

For $479.99, here's what gamers will get (in black -- see picture):

# Xbox 360 Elite console. The console is equipped with a premium black finish and three powerful core processors capable of producing the best in HD entertainment (up to 1080p), 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, HDMI output and DVD playback with upscaling capabilities right out of the box.
# Xbox 360 120GB hard drive. The 120GB detachable hard drive allows gamers to save their games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, levels, demos and other content available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.3 The hard drive is sold separately for an estimated retail price of $179.99 (U.S.).
# Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (black). This award-winning, high-performance wireless controller, now in black, features the Xbox Guide Button for quick, in-game access to friends and music. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries. It is sold separately for an estimated retail price of $49.99 (U.S.).
# Xbox 360 headset (black). Now available in black, the headset lets gamers strategize or trade taunts while playing games and send voice messages to friends on Xbox LIVE.
# Xbox 360 HDMI cable. New to Xbox 360, HDMI allows consumers to get HD video (up to 1080p) and multichannel surround sound, all from one cable. (Editor's Note: The component/composite cable already included with the Xbox 360 is also in the Xbox 360 Elite box).
# Xbox LIVE Silver Membership. With this, gamers can chat with friends online, collect achievements and gamerscores, send and receive voice and text messages, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace content such as game demos, HD movies and TV, as well as the best in downloadable games from Xbox LIVE Arcade.
# One-month subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold. An Xbox LIVE Gold Membership provides a complete online entertainment experience. Those who subscribe to this premium service can engage in competitive online multiplayer matches, tailor their matchmaking via feedback and accomplishments, chat with more than one person at a time, and take advantage of unique privileges in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Old 03-28-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

now the question is... who is getting one
Old 03-28-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
No thanks!
Old 03-28-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 954 Likes on 697 Posts
Already being discussed in length in the XBOX thread. No way I'll buy one. I will buy a black controller if they sell them separately.
Old 03-28-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There is so much that is fucked about this announcment. First of all charging current owners $180 for a measly 120GB HDD is a crime. Second they basically released a copy of the 20GB PS3 with 100GB more of storage, but no HD movie ability. At least the PS3 HDDs are upgradeable with any standard 2.5" drive or you can hook up a portable HDD to store music and movie trailer downloads.

If I was seriously considering spending the kind of money the Elite and a Wi-fi adapter would cost, I would just pay the extra $30 to get the 60GB PS3 with Blu-ray movie playback.

I just don't get what they are doing. They should be kicking the crap out of the PS3 by lowering the prices of their console not by raising it up to PS3 levels. Now they have 3 skus for their hardware? Fucking stupid.

Say what you want about Sony charging too much for the PS3, but Microsoft is the king of accessory overpricing. $99 for Wi-fi and $180 for a hard drive is crazy.

Last edited by darkside; 03-28-07 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 65nm = no sale.

I'll keep waiting.
Old 03-28-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if we have their HD-DVD add on, will we able to get Dolby Digital True HD soundtracks now since it has the HDMI output?

It doesn't sound like too bad a package to me for new consumers buying the 360 (the hard drive and DVD upscaling capabilities seem nic), but for people who have already had it for sixteen months it seems kind of cruel to be releasing it and not at least offering its new features (like the 120 gig hard drive) at a discount for owners of the original.
Old 03-28-07, 12:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This could have been a key move to deliver another major blow to Sony but instead it actually makes Microsoft look slightly bad. Now the general public is going to think the "best 360" costs $480. And since people have been repeatedly told to get the best one, (before meaning the Premium as opposed to the Core) they might not understand what's going on here if they don't closely follow the game scene.
Old 03-28-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dcprules
So if we have their HD-DVD add on, will we able to get Dolby Digital True HD soundtracks now since it has the HDMI output?

It doesn't sound like too bad a package to me for new consumers buying the 360 (the hard drive and DVD upscaling capabilities seem nic), but for people who have already had it for sixteen months it seems kind of cruel to be releasing it and not at least offering its new features (like the 120 gig hard drive) at a discount for owners of the original.
Actually this could be bad for new owners. To get the same HD movie ability and features of the 60GB PS3 you have to spend $779 on your Xbox360.

Even if you drop off the HD movie ability and Wi-fi you are only saving $20 over the PS3 that has built in Blu-ray ability. This console makes no sense to me.

They should have launched this console as their new premium model at $399. Then they would have crushed Sony.
Old 03-28-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
There is so much that is fucked about this announcment. First of all charging current owners $180 for a measly 120GB HDD is a crime. Second they basically released a copy of the 20GB PS3 with 100GB more of storage, but no HD movie ability. At least the PS3 HDDs are upgradeable with any standard 2.5" drive or you can hook up a portable HDD to store music and movie trailer downloads.

If I was seriously considering spending the kind of money the Elite and a Wi-fi adapter would cost, I would just pay the extra $30 to get the 60GB PS3 with Blu-ray movie playback.

I just don't get what they are doing. They should be kicking the crap out of the PS3 by lowering the prices of their console not by raising it up to PS3 levels. Now they have 3 skus for their hardware? Fucking stupid.

Say what you want about Sony charging too much for the PS3, but Microsoft is the king of accessory overpricing. $99 for Wi-fi and $180 for a hard drive is crazy.
co-signed.

MS owned this gen as far as "next-gen" goes(Wii's "new-gen" aside). Sony fucked up nearly everything they did or touched for the past year, they were fighting an uphill battle. All MS had to do was wait it out and continue to be on top. They had a 10 million head start and selling more than PS3 monthly. There's no reason to do something so rash just yet.

I understand that maybe Sony may have been right in the HD thinking and planned it out better, but this is too soon for MS. Maybe release the Elite once Sony starts getting their footing back, but right now it just makes MS look bad and makes Sony look like quite the progressive thinkers. It looks even worse when you break down the pricing. Console prices are supposed to drop, not increase.

And all of this without the newer chipset. Fix what's been plaguing your current system before moving on to a new sku. Jeez.

One thing is for sure. With Microsoft's "Big" announcement, it is a great day to be a Sony fan.
Old 03-28-07, 12:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, and I'm strongly considering getting this.

But I can see why current owners wouldn't be interested.
Old 03-28-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would be interested in HDMI and 1080p.

However I am not interested in spending another $500 to get that.
Old 03-28-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
co-signed.

All MS had to do was wait it out and continue to be on top. They had a 10 million head start and selling more than PS3 monthly. There's no reason to do something so rash just yet.
Well i recently read an article about sales figures for all three systems and the PS3 since release has actually been outselling the 360. So they have had a head start, but it doesn't appear that the PS3 is dead in the water as many believe.

For myself, well i have been waiting for the release of the new 360. I actually think the PS3 has potential and within 2 years i think it will be at least joint leader with the 360. However, with the release of many games that were once exclusives on the Playstation now coming to the 360 it has swayed me to move over systems. I don't think the 360 is anywhere near as good a machine as the PS3, but lack of any great games so far on the PS3, cost and the still undecided HD war.....i can't justify taking a chance on the PS3. The new 360 Elite looks nice, but i was more interested in them addressing the issues the console had with the noise and heat it produces. I am going to pick one of these up at the end of the month, but i wish they had sorted these problems out.

Does anyone know if the Elites are as noisy as the old console?
Old 03-28-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The elite will likely have the new quieter disc drive, if thats the noise you are referring to. If you are talking about the fan noise, you'll have to wait until the implement the 65nm IC's for any hope of it getting quieter.
Old 03-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
Well i recently read an article about sales figures for all three systems and the PS3 since release has actually been outselling the 360. So they have had a head start, but it doesn't appear that the PS3 is dead in the water as many believe.
But outselling by how much? Even if they outsell the 360 by 100,000 systems a month that is still only a gain of 1.2 million over what MS is selling in a years time. In other words, at the end of one year they will be 9 million behind instead of 10.
Old 03-28-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been holding out for the HDMI ever since it's been rumored, but with the extra $80 without the reduced chipset size, I think I'll keep waiting. I don't care about Wi-fi since I'd just plug an ethernet cable in anyway. $180 for a 120 GB hdd is ridiculous. I know it's a 2.5" drive, but you can get one that size from newegg for a little over $100.
Old 03-28-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
No 65nm = no sale.

I'll keep waiting.

I agree, because that's that thing that I wanted most.
Old 03-28-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Well, I was looking for an excuse to finally get a 360, and this certainly is not it. I wanted the Premium for 300, and instead I get the Ultra-Premium option for 480? Yeah, I think I'll stick to renting movies, and waiting for Wii games until Sony and MS feel like dropping into my price range.
Old 03-28-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So is it true that this one is supposed to drop to $400 and the current premium will drop to $300 in the summer?
Old 03-28-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, any news on DVD upscaling over HDMI?
Old 03-28-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
I agree, because that's that thing that I wanted most.

So wait... You were going to buy an entire new xbox just to have a cooler chip?
Old 03-28-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want it because I want the system in black(HDMI is nice, don't care about the hard drive), but I certainly won't pay $80 MORE than what I paid for my first one. That pricing is ridiculous.
Old 03-28-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But outselling by how much? Even if they outsell the 360 by 100,000 systems a month that is still only a gain of 1.2 million over what MS is selling in a years time. In other words, at the end of one year they will be 9 million behind instead of 10.
Well your original statement was that they were selling "more than PS3 monthly", that statement is inaccurate. I understand that they have sold a lot more....they released their system a lot earlier than than Sony. Thats obvious. All i was saying was that Sony are not out for the count just yet and i feel that within a period of a couple of years the PS3 will have clawed its way back somewhat. You have to take into account that the 360 has sold a lot and that a majority of its market has picked up the unit already. The sales figures IMO for the PS3 can only go up. So far there may be fewer households with a PS3 in, but the more that the system, games for the system and Blu-Ray movies become desirable for the PS3 the more demand it will create. The same can be said the 360, but the fact remains that a large section of the market who would purchase a 360 have already done so. The best MS can hope for is a levelling out for their sales figures, but its inevitable that their sales figures will decline. Also the 360's HDD component seems to be a waste of time and the prices coming from MS seem to make the PS3 a serious option for people spending the money. If the PS3 had a good games line up at the monent i would not hesitate in buying one over a 360. But i am even with the 360's issues i am going to give the Elite a shot. I am positive that when the PS3 comes down in price i will be picking one of those up also.
Old 03-28-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
So wait... You were going to buy an entire new xbox just to have a cooler chip?
I agree with them. Thats the thing that i was hoping for with the new system. My nephew has a 360 and the heat coming off the thing was amazing. I wanted them to sort this problem out and reduce the noise the console made. Looks like i'm shit out of luck.
Old 03-28-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Also, any news on DVD upscaling over HDMI?
I haven't read anything that says for sure, but since you can over VGA I would guess that HDMI will retain that functionality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.