Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Shield - The Complete Fifth Season'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-27-07, 10:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of The Shield - The Complete Fifth Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=27196 and...

While I thought the review was dead on, why spoil the ending of the season if you are not going to offer some insight into it. The spoiler right now is not doing anything except hanging out at the end of the review being a spoiler. That's something DVD Talk to my knowledge does very little of.

I generally hate spoilers especially to endings or major turning points, but if they are done in order to further critique the story, then it is sometimes worth it for those of us looking to see reactions to things we already have seen.
Old 03-27-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But he gave you fair warning and you could tell it didn't go on for pages. I'd understand if he didn't warn you (twice), but as it was, no biggie for me, and a very nice review to boot.
Old 03-27-07, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bravesmg
But he gave you fair warning and you could tell it didn't go on for pages. I'd understand if he didn't warn you (twice), but as it was, no biggie for me, and a very nice review to boot.
Not saying he didn't warn...The warning was blatant.

I just dont see the point in saying the end in a review without really commenting on it. I felt the rest of the review had some great insight and it would have been nice to get that same level of interpretation of the end.

But like I said, I felt the review was dead on. He succinctly described exactly why the show is so good building on every season.
Old 03-27-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Shield is a rarity - one of those shows that instead of maintaining a holding pattern or going downhill, it's gotten better and better every season. It's an example of how a series can be great when the network executives keep their hands out of things. Some shows start off as a great show with a sweeping story arc that requires the viewer to not only be there for every episode but to pay attention as well. Then the execs come in and start demanding that changes be made. Don't be so complex. Don't have long story arcs. Have more episodes that are self-contained, where everything is over in that show. Then the execs wonder why the show isn't doing as well as it used to. Battlestar Galactica comes to mind.

The Shield has avoided that, and hopefully it will continue to avoid it as they enter the final season.
Old 03-28-07, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by blindzero
Not saying he didn't warn...The warning was blatant.

I just dont see the point in saying the end in a review without really commenting on it. I felt the rest of the review had some great insight and it would have been nice to get that same level of interpretation of the end.

But like I said, I felt the review was dead on. He succinctly described exactly why the show is so good building on every season.
I still remember the day I saw the entire 2 episodes as a whole (Mice and Lem and Postpartum). I recorded the shows because I would watch them at once (abuot 3 or 4 at once). Just had my jaw dropped the entire time, of what was happening.

It's just the kind of thing that is so good, you have to tell people. The Shield is definetly loved by anyone who has ever watched more than 2 episodes. You really have to be a fan to understand all of it, and it's just the spirit of the fan that wants to tell about it; It's hard to restrain your emotions about something like [season 5 spoiler] because it was truly one of the most moving fictional events to ever take place. The strike team is like family in our house, because it unites us all in front of the television on Tuesdays before anything else. "the team comes first".