Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

French WW2 movie DAYS OF GLORY (INDIGENES) available now!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-25-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVD available now at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=29952

10 dollars, PAL, widescreen (most likely anamorphic), French DD 5.1, English Subtitles!
Old 03-25-07, 06:53 PM

Nice spot toddly6666!

Was just looking at a review for this film this morning and it looks like its only getting a limited theatrical release here so I have ordered. I usually get eThai order in about a week.

Thanks
Old 03-25-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know the status of this being released here in R1 or R2UK, etc.? Also, I haven't followed Thai-released DVDs too closely as of late, but where does that digital blurring (aka censorship) on Thai DVDs stand right now? I'm eager to see this film but am wondering if any of the violence (given that it is a war film, I'm assuming there might be some in this film) might be digitally blurred.
Old 03-25-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
Released theatrically across Canada on Feb. 23rd by Alliance Atlantis. I expect the DVD to be out in a couple of months, most likely with english subs.

The UK theatrical release is March 31st. So I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer for the UK R2.

A single, and a two disk collector's edition are set for release in France on April 5th by TF1 video, but this is french only.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-25-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-25-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
Anyone know the status of this being released here in R1 or R2UK, etc.? Also, I haven't followed Thai-released DVDs too closely as of late, but where does that digital blurring (aka censorship) on Thai DVDs stand right now? I'm eager to see this film but am wondering if any of the violence (given that it is a war film, I'm assuming there might be some in this film) might be digitally blurred.
The film is definitely coming to both R1-US and the UK! I don't have any info on a specific date as of this moment but I would cetrainly wait as in both markets quality distribs are handling the film!

Outstanding film indeed!

Pro-B
Old 03-27-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,
With the new rules, Thai DVDs don't blur/censor European flicks. They only do that to their own movies, thank god...
Old 04-16-07, 03:59 AM

Picked up the Fr R2 of this at the weekend - I missed it on its theatrical release, but thoroughly enjoyed watching it on DVD. I got the single disc edition, which as usual was 5€ cheaper than the double. As eXcentris mentioned above, it is French-only in terms of language choice, but does have Fr HoH subs and a DTS track. A 25-min "making-of" is also included.

Dazza.
Old 04-16-07, 12:07 PM

It's not a French/Arabic Saving Private Ryan or Letters From Iwo Jima. Not even as good as the bad Hamburger Hill.

I was very disappointed and even laughed at a few scenes. Seemed very unprofessional and I'm sure I caught an actor looking for the camera.

Poor 3/10.
Old 04-16-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well add my two cents...

On the one hand, and as a big fan of the war film genre, I did find the film entertaining and would label it "good enough".

On the other hand, and also considering its status as an Oscar nominee, I also found it disappointing. Basically it felt very paint-by-numbers. I realize it is difficult to come up with "something new under the sun" in the well-worn war film genre, but still this film felt a little too derivative for me to award it great praise. I credit it for its powerful subject matter, but the execution was rather routine. The film is sort of mix of "Glory", "Saving Private Ryan", and the "The Big Red One" but no where near as good as these aforementioned films. Unlike the recent Hollywood war film "Windtalkers", it is nice that it stayed focused on the story of these "forgotten" men....though I would have preferred some greater depth to the character development. I'd rank "Indigenes" below most of the other modern war films I've seen (including "Taegukgi", "Yamato", "El Alamein", "Joyeux Noel", "Der Untergang", the usual suspects from Hollywood, etc.). It is subjective, but this film really didn't hit me hard enough on an emotional level. The battle scenes were infrequent and relatively low-budget, but I can excuse that this film was really about showing war scenes. Also, while the closing text gave the film a nice kick, I thought the overly familiar closing scenes should have been left on the cutting room floor. In summation, would I recommend "Indigines"..."yeah sure" I would, but would I pass it as a very good/excellent film just because it tells an important story..."no" I wouldn't.