Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I'm sick of Borders' crappy service.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-23-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered a movie for instore pickup a few days ago and it said $7.99; I go to pick it up today and they had crossed off the $7.99 computer printout price and wrote $9.95.

I asked them what the deal was and they said 'Special Orders are subject' to price changes. This happened once before, I ordered a film quoted at $9.99 and they tried charging $14.99; I asked if the computer price for instore searches is valid and that time they said, if something instore is higher than the computer price, they will ower it; I got that DVD for $9.99.

Today I showed them that the computer instore still said $7.99; they said basically tough luck, that's the price if its on the shelf.

Now here's where the bullshit comes into play; I could have said I don't want the DVD; then they would have taken it and placed it on the shelf. I did this once before when they refused to take a coupon for an ordered copy of Apocalypse Now; I went back the next day, and bought it with a coupon.

Had I done this today, I could have walked in tomorrow, bought the film off the shelf and paid $7.99.

Anyone else sick of Borders in general? I really hope they suffer the same fate as Tower Records; their prices are just as shitty, and even their Rewards program is considerably more worthless than last year.
Old 03-23-07, 10:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Barnes & Noble just opened a big store around here and they're going to give Borders some hefty competition, which I'm very glad to see.

I don't think the competition will be much in DVDs, neither is all that good in that particular area. (I mostly only go to Borders to look for OOP DVDs which they tend to have because they're the last place anyone buys DVDs.) But B&N looks somewhat better for books.
Old 03-23-07, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An in-store pick up is not a special order. It is just an in-store pick up, as simple as that. You reserved the DVD so you can pick it up later. The assclown that serve you must be an imbecile and with your electronic reciept, which Borders is supposed to email after you reserved the DVD, you can go to the consumer affairs dept. of your state and complain.
Old 03-23-07, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I ordered a book online @ amazon for pickup at borders. I took the email confirmation up to the front registers, where the book was waiting for me. The cashier looked at the email, scanned the book, saw it came up a whopping $2.99 less than the in-store price (but the correct price it was sold for online) and had to call a manager. The cashier looked at me and told me amazon sold it for the wrong price. I didn't say a word but gave her the 'you're an idiot' look. The manager had to override the price. It was painless, but I couldn't believe an outfit would have setup such an ordering system and not have these common kinks worked out. Apparently 3 years later it still hasn't. To be fair, Best Buy has been just as bad in my experience. The only one that worked out well was Circuit City, but I've only used it once.
Old 03-23-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dx23
An in-store pick up is not a special order. It is just an in-store pick up, as simple as that. You reserved the DVD so you can pick it up later. The assclown that serve you must be an imbecile and with your electronic reciept, which Borders is supposed to email after you reserved the DVD, you can go to the consumer affairs dept. of your state and complain.
I argued that point and the manager got involved. They said the "Actual Price May Vary" clause protects them and that they only have honor the "In Store Price" on the actual in-store computers for stuff from the shelves.

They said whoever did the placing of the order for in-store pickup (it was not instock at the time) changed the price to $9.95 because of the distributor.

I thought this was complete horseshit though, since as I mentioned if I had declined the film, it would be on the shelf tomorrow and avaliable for $7.99

You're the second person to recommend I contact the State and complain, and I will definitely do so Monday morning.
Old 03-24-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that happened to me and thats why i stopped using the Borders website and ordering system. i ordered a DVD for instore pickup and when i went to get it, the price was higher and i argued it. i wanted the DVD for the price i ordered it at and they said no, "the distributor sets the price and it doesnt matter what the website said".

bottom line being the prices on the website are useless and they can charge anything they want once you go to pick it up. the site DOES say that the instore price may vary but then what is the point of special ordering from them if you dont know the real price until you get there. pretty crappy policy and thats why i stopped using them.
Old 03-24-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Borders is Dumping Amazon!

Borders is going to sever its ties with Amazon and will open their own online website in 2008. This was announced on Thursday. However, the article didn't say when this will happen. I'm hoping that they will stay affiliated with Amazon until their own site is ready in 2008 because I have an awful lot of Borders gift cards that I would like to use at Amazon. As of right now, they are still partnered up with Amazon. Does anyone happen to know when Borders is going to officially drop Amazon? If they are going to sever their relationship soon, then I have to get to ordering ASAP. Thanks.
Old 03-25-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just a tip: If the cashier scans the bar code on the sticker, it'll come up at the price printed on the sticker. But if the cashier manually types in the number on the sticker, it might come up at a lower price. That's because sometimes stores fail to resticker product following price drops. Just politely ask them to type in the number instead of scanning it, and the DVD should come up at the lower price.
Old 03-25-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Just a tip: If the cashier scans the bar code on the sticker, it'll come up at the price printed on the sticker. But if the cashier manually types in the number on the sticker, it might come up at a lower price. That's because sometimes stores fail to resticker product following price drops. Just politely ask them to type in the number instead of scanning it, and the DVD should come up at the lower price.
Nothing was scanned; she typed in the title of the DVD and $9.95 for a price manually; they claimed that's how they have to ring up special-order/in-store pickups.