Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Puzzle Quest - DS/PSP...PC Demo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puzzle Quest - DS/PSP...PC Demo

This game comes out today for the DS and the PSP.

You can download a PC demo here:
http://www.gamedaily.com/canvases/gd...15101009990002

It is basically a hybrid of puzzle and rpg games. It is quite fun, and the demo lets you play all 4 classes and lasts for quite a long time.
Old 03-20-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interested in this one, but I was holding out for some reviews before deciding whether to buy it or just rent it. Guess I'll try the PC demo when I get home.

Edit: I couldn't wait, so I just downloaded it here at work. I only played one level, but it was enough to convince me, so I'll be picking up the DS version on my way home today.

Last edited by UncleGramps; 03-20-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll have to check this out tonight as well. Too bad it doesn't have WiFi support. The trailer just screams it. I'm a big fan of the Warlords universe anyway and this could be a nice stopgap before the DS version of the main game hits.

Anybody know if BB is getting these? BB.com has no listing for it and those $5 off DS coupons aren't getting any younger.

Last edited by pinata242; 03-20-07 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I played the demo for about an hour or so tonight. It's interesting. Had the same basic feel of Warlords, at least from the overworld. A series of quests with scripted and random battles. The battles are obvious what would make this game unique and I think it works. I'm not sure if I can spend $30 on the DS version, but maybe if my current queue dries up. If it had Nintendo WFC support, it would be a no-brainer, but with no one local to play against it would just be against the computer and I don't know how long that could keep me interested. It has the potential to be very deep. I'll wait to hear more detailed reviews of the retail version before I decide.
Old 03-20-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really liked the demo. Probably my next game purchase. Definitely seems worth $25 at Best Buy since I still have a few coupons left.
Old 03-21-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamespot has a review up. 8.1 for the DS version and 8.5 for the PSP version. Here's a link for the DS version, which has the same text as the PSP review, just a different score:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/pu...summary;review

They claim that the pieces can be difficult to discern on the DS's lower screen, but looking at the screenshots, I'm not really understanding how that's possible. I'm still going for the DS version since it seems well suited to stylus control. Of course, none of the stores around here seem to even know about this game. I'll do another sweep in the afternoon, and if I come up empty I'll just order it somewhere online.
Old 03-21-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played Bejewelled for years on my PDA and its the perfect type of puzzle game for stylus control. The graphics won't be as nice as the PC Demo, but I also had no trouble telling the pieces apart. The problem seems to be in finding the game. Gamestop may be the only option for this one.
Old 03-21-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked it.

Has anyone else put DS demos online (for PC) like this before? I think it's awesome they did this. Certainly make me more interested in the game. I doubt I would have even rented this game before playing the demo, now I'd consider buying it (depending on price).
Old 03-21-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Has anyone else put DS demos online (for PC) like this before? I think it's awesome they did this.
Trion Cube did. You'll eventually be able to download DS demos to your Wii to be shot to your DS.
Old 03-21-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone sees this in a B&M store, please post here. Sounds like people are having a tough time finding it even at EBs and Gamestops. I'd rather not deal with shipping fees, so I'm hoping to find it somewhere local.
Old 03-21-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I liked it.

Has anyone else put DS demos online (for PC) like this before? I think it's awesome they did this. Certainly make me more interested in the game. I doubt I would have even rented this game before playing the demo, now I'd consider buying it (depending on price).
The situation with this game is a bit odd. It started out as a PC game and somewhere along the line they decided to make it on the DS and PSP. The PC demo is probably the left overs from that PC development. No word if they will finish the PC version. They would be very smart to release a PC, XBLA and PS3 online version. This game would do very well if picked up by one of those Real Arcade or Yahoo Game services. GameTap would actually be very smart to go and grab this for their service.
Old 03-21-07, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
See here for info on whether we'll see PC and 360 versions (short answer -- the developers deny that anything has been officially announced, but leave the door open that they will port it).

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archi...zzle-quest-ds/
Old 03-22-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who are trying to find the game, I just got the last copy at the Gamestop near my office. If you go to the Gamestop/EB site and use the stock locator, it'll most likely show all nearby stores as having 0 copies. However, if the "More on the Way" column says "Yes", call the store and see if they got it in today. I guess smaller releases take an extra day or two to arrive, so it should be showing up today or tomorrow, even though the online inventory won't reflect it immediately.

Also, a heads-up for people considering the PSP version. Apparently a bug slipped into the PSP version but not the DS version. It's relatively minor - companion effects won't work - but it could be annoying to some players. Here's the post at the official forums that mentions it:

http://www.infinite-interactive.com/...opic.php?t=327
Old 03-22-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a shitty bug. Hopefully they'll do a replacement like Taito did with that Bubble Bobble game.
Old 03-22-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, I don't understand Gamespot's criticism about the symbols being tough to differentiate on the DS. Having played the game for a bit, it's pretty obvious to me. However, they do have a point about the stylus control being a little touchy. The symbols are fairly small and the controls are sensitive, so you'll occasionally select a symbol you didn't mean to. Certainly not a big deal, but it's worth mentioning.
Old 03-22-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How hard can it be? They're completely different colors, right? Red, blue, green, yellow, purple, skull, and gold. What's hard to differentiate?

Really, is it that hard to see the difference in this icons?

Last edited by pinata242; 03-22-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, and that's even a small screenshot. I have the game sitting in front of me and it's pretty damn clear. Maybe the reviewer has a vision problem.
Old 03-22-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this going to eventually be available at stores like Best Buy, or is it too small? I've got several giftcards, and I'd like to be able to use some of them on this.
Old 03-22-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm probably going to order mine off of Amazon. I got a $10 gift certificate for doing a survey of the Hilton Family website (I basically got paid to tell them I would never stay at their hotel chain and give money to their whore of a daughter, I think I was more diplomatic in my review) and this would mean a $20 game including shipping.
Old 03-23-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I saw a copy last night at Best Buy. Only one and it was probably the only copy they got in.
Old 03-23-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I saw a copy last night at Best Buy. Only one and it was probably the only copy they got in.
Thanks! I'll swing by there today and check it out. I noticed it's not on their website at all, so that's why I asked initially.
Old 03-23-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet Fry's will have plenty. They ALWAYS stock the good, lesser known games!

That reminds me.. Radio Allergy should be out now!!
Old 03-23-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am really hooked on this game right now. The RPG elements are deeper than I expected. When I first saw footage of the game, it seemed like you just sort of wandered around, and when you encountered an enemy, you played the puzzle game to battle them. Having spent more time with the game, it's very much like an RPG, since you level up, assign points to different stats, get companions in your party, and manage weapons, armor, and other special items. You can even build and upgrade your keep, research new spells, capture enemies, and get mounts. I initially thought of it as a puzzle game with RPG elements, but it's really an RPG with puzzle battles. From what I've read, the quest is surprisingly long and there are a ton of optional side quests. Very cool stuff.
Old 03-24-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I couldn't resist. Picked it up today at Gamestop after striking out at 3 Best Buys. I didn't want to risk wanting it later and not being able to find it (ala Phoenix Wright). Wanted to get Radio Allergy for the Cube at the same time, but they didn't even have it in the system. May just have to go through Amazon for that one.

Taking PQ with me to the poker game tonight but I usually don't get much down time since I kick so much ass at the table with the guys I play with.
Old 03-25-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is now my all time favorite puzzle game. I've already put in 10+ hours and I am addicted. Brilliant game. RPG elements are much deeper than expected.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.