Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Armored Core 4 (360)

Old 03-19-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armored Core 4 (360)

The epitome of mech-greatness will finally be released in the next few days. After watching a trailer on XBOX LIVE, it only added to the excitement.

Reviews aren't anything special, but then again, there hasn't really been any Armored Core that was rated that well :/

Anyone else excited to play some on-line matches?
Old 03-19-07, 08:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is is compared to say a Mech Warrior that came out on the Xbox? Those were supposed to be some great mech games that pretty much flopped.
Old 03-19-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I tried one of the early AC games (ps2?)and I couldn't get into it. The trailer looked ok but the rendering seemed incomplete for some reason. It was like they didn't put any detail into the Mechs.

With that said, I'd be willing to give the franchise another try on the 360 so we'll see.....
Old 03-19-07, 08:11 AM

I'd say its more similar to Chrome Hounds at a much faster pace than a game like Mech Assault for the Xbox
Old 03-19-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know the reviews have been BRUTAL on this. 4/10 in some mags.
Old 03-19-07, 09:35 AM

well, if you aren't new to the AC series, its really not going to be anything ground-breaking, which could easily account for some of the bad reviews.

Chrome Hounds got terrible reviews as well, and that title was fantastic
Old 03-19-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Isn't this also coming out on PS3 on the same day? Or do we want to segregate the console versions? Just wondering.

Reviews have been brutal, but this seems like a "if you liked the first few, you'll like this one" kinda game. Seems like it's nothing really revolutionary besides a graphics upgrade. Read the reviews in EGM, one mentioned that if you look at it like a mech BUILDING game, and the actual "piloting your mech around" as more of an interlude, you'll like it more.
Old 03-19-07, 12:00 PM

the 360 version is cooler by default
Old 03-21-07, 12:37 PM

oh WOW!

2-8 player co-op!
Old 03-22-07, 07:51 AM

anyone else get this game yet?
Old 03-23-07, 10:42 AM

the game is DEFINITELY better than what some people would have you believe. The game is much longer than what they've said as well.

the controls are top notch, and the game is very pleasing to look at.

The frustrating thing is getting used to customizing your mech, and where to make the improvements.

It took me 2 days to make a decent mech, but after I slapped on the last part, and I started bull-dozing the simulation mechs, which means I now get to use those mechs I've defeated.

Online multiplayer is very addictive, and I lose most of the time. 4 player free for all seems to be what I like to do online. Makes for plenty of action, but its not overwhelming.

I have yet to see a single shred of lag when playing online, nor have I heard one person complain about it
Old 03-27-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So your enthusiasm has definitely intrigued me... I haven't played an Armored Core since 2, though I enjoyed both 1 and 2. Is the appeal of this game mostly for the online play? I'm not a huge fan of online matches, especially in a game like this which gives the advantage to the ones who have the better equipment. Is single player enjoyable?
Old 03-28-07, 07:47 AM

I think the online play really helps the replay value. I like signing online to test out new mechs I've created, or just play test ideas that I want to throw around.

I would recommend beating 1 player mode on normal before trying to get "serious" about playing online. The mech Ive been using since chapter 5 (only 6 chapters in the game) seems to be the best mech I have, even after I beat the game on normal.

I found single player very enjoyable, and its so much more demanding on hard. They even have a SIMULATOR mode, which allows you to make/build any mech, even if you can't afford all the parts, and battle boss-type mechs 1vs1. The awesome thing about that is, when you beat them, you get their mech schematics, which means you can use the mech you've beaten, and they also give you money for winning the battle.

Theres about 15 or so mechs in simulator to beat, and 35 missions. If you count those missions again on hard (i surely do) you're looking at a good 85 or so levels to tackle without even addressing online play.

I must admit, I love games like this that just seem to have an excellent community. Everyone is extremely friendly, and more than eager to help you out if you questions.

Last edited by KurrptSenate; 03-28-07 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how hard is this game on the easiest setting?
I'm having a difficult time these days getting thru action games.
I was breezing thru Gears of war till the last boss on casual. Took me about 50-75 tries before I was able to kill raam.
Old 03-28-07, 12:16 PM

the first time through, I got stuck on chapter 3 for a little while. With these missions, you basically develope ways to beat it easier. If you lose a mission a few times, I recommend just trying something different.

After I got past chapter 3, i used some new parts to make a new mech, and basically breezed through the rest of the game.

Going back through the game on hard is much more challenging

I'd say, once you get a hang of mech building, or at least how to edit your starting mech to make it more powerful, you really shouldn't have any problem
Old 03-28-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this better, worse, or about the same as Chromehounds?
For anyone looking to get this, next week at Circuit City you can buy
Guitar Hero 2 + 1600 Marketplace points (89.99)
Armored Core 4 + $10 GC (59.99)
GRAW 2 (49.99)
some cheap DVD
- $40 off $200 coupon
$160 + tax
Old 03-28-07, 12:44 PM

it has some similiarities to Chrome Hounds, like the menus and what-not, but the battles are completely different, and faster paced. In chrome hounds, it could take you 15 minutes to walk from one corner of the map to the other. In AC4, you could traverse the same distance in about 30 seconds to a minute.

Theres constant movement and boosters going on at once. I find this game MUCH easier to get into than Chrome Hounds, considering you really have to play CH for a few weeks straight to be able to acquire enough parts to make a respectable mech. In AC4, you really only have to get to chapter 4 to make an awesome mech, would could be done in a night, if you were dedicated.

In online matches, theres no respawn, but you do get to switch cameras to any other member playing. Its like the Gears of War camera, but you can check out the enemy as well
Old 04-02-07, 08:41 AM

damn, this game keeps getting better and better!

I build another 5-7 mechs this weekend, and beat a few, very difficult missions on hard to unlock some new parts.

I'll definitely be playing this game for a few more months....straight
Old 04-02-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rented this game for the PS3, not sure what the differences are between versions. I have a few complaints:

1. I didn't feel like they really explained how to use your boost to raise above the ground. In fact, I'm still not sure I understand how to do it consistently.

2. The interface seems really, really confusing, especially being able to buy parts. This may all be explained clearly in the manual (which I didn't get with the rental),and maybe it's common sense to AC veterans, but I had a tough time trying to figure it out.

It is fast paced, though. I stuck with the same default mech for the first two chapters and only had a little bit of trouble... then in some of the stages in the third chapter I started getting my butt kicked, so I have to look into buying new parts. Mainly I wanted to try it out to see if it was worth a buy, since it's basically 10 bucks off at CC this week. Jury's still out at this point.
Old 04-02-07, 12:25 PM

yea, basically you ran into the frustration I had out of the gate, concerning mech building and editing your current schematic.

as far as flying, you just double tap the normal boost button (left trigger on a 360 controller, could be L2 on yours?)

As far as the mech editting screen, it took me a few days to get the hang of it. The confusing thing is, you can outfit your mech with any part and test it out without paying for it. If you try to leave the shop, they will charge you for the parts you haven't paid. What you can do is hit the X button (should be square on a PS3 controller) and it will bring up a small box displaying the price of the item currently selected. You can see if you don't yet own it, because a button will say 'BUY'. If you already own it, the button will say 'SELL'

Yea, took me a bit to find that out too

As far as chapter 3 is concerned, thats really where I initially had problems on. What helped a TON was buying some grenade launchers
Old 04-02-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a demo in the Marketplace now.
Old 04-02-07, 12:51 PM

oh sweet

hopefully a bunch of people check it out and start playing fo' reals
Old 04-02-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
I'm glad they came out with a demo. I've wanted to play it since I first read about it but I've been too apprehensive to drop full price. I haven't played a mech game since Mech Assaut.
Old 04-02-07, 03:08 PM

id recommend trying out control scheme 2 to anyone who is going to play this game, or is interested in the demo

I found it counter-productive to have to take your right hand's thumb off of the control stick to be able to shoot a gun. I found using the LB/RB to shoot and keeping the triggers as your boosters to be the perfect scheme
Old 04-02-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to download the demo tonight. I hope it's as good as all the videos make it seem.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.