Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What older comics are you finally reading?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So what older comics are you finally reading for the first time? Aside from our monthly new releases, what catalog stuff are you guys getting into?

This week for me was:

Saga of the Swamp Thing Vol 1
The Ultimates HOC Vol 1

Of course Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is legendary, but for whatever reason I never got around to reading it. Today at my LACS they had 50% off green heroes, so I was able to get Vol 1 for $10. What a spectacular read it was. Even though it was wordy like others of its time, it read more like a novel. Seeing the JLA helpless in a crisis, that only "Alec" could resolve was great to see. Currently planning on buying the rest.

Ultimates was enjoyable also, probably due to oversize hardcover format, and not waiting years for it to finish. If was an interesting take on the classics, and it had a great epic "movie" feel. Don't think I can look at the Wasp the same way again

Last edited by stingermck; 03-18-07 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-18-07, 01:14 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started reading Bone by Jeff Smith for the first time. Really enjoying it so far.
Old 03-18-07, 05:27 AM

I've been devouring the ESSENTIALS and the SHOWCASES like my life depended on it recently. Haunted Tank, Unknown Soldier, Defenders, Tomb of Dracula, Peter Parker, House of Mystery. Great stuff.

I'm planning to pick up the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing as well.
Old 03-18-07, 07:31 AM

Power of the Atom & Arak
Old 03-18-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
So what older/classic comics are you finally reading for the first time? Aside from our monthly new releases, what catalog stuff are you guys getting into?

This week for me was:

Saga of the Swamp Thing Vol 1
The Ultimates HOC Vol 1

Of course Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is legendary, but for whatever reason I never got around to reading it. Today at my LACS they had 50% off green heroes, so I was able to get Vol 1 for $10. What a spectacular read it was. Even though it was wordy like others of its time, it read more like a novel. Seeing the JLA helpless in a crisis, that only "Alec" could resolve was great to see. Currently planning on buying the rest.

Ultimates was enjoyable also, probably due to oversize hardcover format, and not waiting years for it to finish. If was an interesting take on the classics, and it had a great epic "movie" feel. Don't think I can look at the Wasp the same way again
Ultimates is only a few years old. Does it really qualify as a classic already. classics should be at least 20 years old.
Old 03-18-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
Ultimates is only a few years old. Does it really qualify as a classic already. classics should be at least 20 years old.
OK updated. Like I said above, older as in something thats didn't come out this month, that your catching up on, reading for the 1st time, etc.

I was just thinking of a companion to the "what are you reading this month" thread, since its usually new stuff.

Last edited by stingermck; 03-18-07 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-18-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle charlie
I just started reading Bone by Jeff Smith for the first time. Really enjoying it so far.
I bought that one volume a couple of months ago and blazed through the first half of the book. Then I got a little bored by the story and put it down. I only have a couple hundred pages to go, so maybe when I go back to it, I'll be into it.
Old 03-18-07, 11:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Amazingly, I still haven't finished Sandman.

Back when I bought single issues, I read it each month and got up to the final 2 or 3 issues. I saw the ending coming (well, not all of it I'm sure, but the basics) and, of course, didn't want to see it end. So my silly logic is that if I never read the final part, it won't end.

Several times over the past years I've started from the beginning, and read all the way up to the final trade. But I always stop there. And then 6 or more months go by and I get the urge to really finish it. But I have to start at the beginning (part of my unique form of ocd), read all the way to the last trade, but stop again.

I'm messed up, I know. But at least the 2nd or so best series ever (after Alan Moore's Swamp Thing at least) is still ongoing in my silly little mind.
Old 03-18-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DataZak
I'm planning to pick up the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing as well.
One of the best runs on any series EVER, IMO. Post your thoughts on it when you're finished here.
Old 03-18-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
This week, I have finally finished gathering all issues of Preacher and Mage: Hero Discovered (needed to resort to eBay for a few hard-to-get issues). I plan to begin the immersion within a few days.
Old 03-19-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I found every issue of american flagg in the 25 cent bin awhile back, time to start that soon.