Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

THE COMPLETE TERRY AND THE PIRATES 6 Volume set starts July 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE COMPLETE TERRY AND THE PIRATES 6 Volume set starts July 2007

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105464

Celebrating the centennial of Milton Caniff ’s birth, IDW Publishing will publish a fully authorized six-book series collecting the entirety of Caniff ’s groundbreaking newspaper adventure strip Terry and the Pirates. The Sunday pages will be reproduced in their original color, alongside the daily black-and-white strips.

No cartoonist has so heavily influenced his medium as has Milton Caniff, and no comic strip has had more imitators than Terry and the Pirates. He is considered the great American novelist of the comics medium.

“In Terry and the Pirates,” wrote Jerry Robinson in The Comics, “all the storytelling techniques of the adventure strip fused and a classic style emerged. Caniff developed and integrated the narrative and its visual expression into a uniform aesthetic balance.” Jules Feiffer noted, “Before Caniff introduced the Dragon Lady to Pat Ryan, before Burma and Raven Sherman and Normandie Drake fell for our hero, there was not a hint of sex to be found in the American newspaper strip. Caniff changed all that.”

Terry and the Pirates provided the vehicle for Caniff's maturation both as an artist and as a storyteller. He set the strip in exotic China, where historic events then occurring in the region during the 1930s provided the raw material from which he blended fantasy and reality to create an extraordinary graphic narrative. Howard Chaykin, who has written the introduction to Volume One, says, “It's historically the first, and for my money, greatest example of what we do. The evolution of what Caniff did with Terry in his first year is unbelievable. It's pure core storytelling.”

The story introduces young Terry Lee, his adult pal Pat Ryan, their sidekick Connie, as well as an array of unforgettable brigands such as Captains Judas and Blaze, and the two toughest women to ever sail on the China Seas: the alluring Burma and the inimitable Dragon Lady.

Volume One, to be published in July, contains more than 800 consecutive strips, from the series' beginning in October 1934 through the end of 1936. An informed essay provides biographical material, and places Caniff ’s seminal work in the context of both comic strip history and of the real-world events reflected in the stories.

The Complete Terry and the Pirates also launches a new imprint for IDW: The Library of American Comics. “There's no better comic strip to inaugurate The Library of American Comics than Milton Caniff's masterpiece," says series editor and designer Dean Mullaney.

"This is the definitive edition of the definitive adventure series (NBM’s long out-of-print collections printed the color in separate volumes from the B&Ws). The books will be oversized, 11” x 8.5” oblong, in order to showcase the richness of Caniff ’s art and storytelling. All Sunday pages have been lovingly restored from the original color pages culled from my private collection, and supplemented by the Cartoon Research Library at Ohio State University.”

Color is essential to Terry. The syndicate had dedicated engravers working on his Sundays. Caniff was thrilled, “I never had a chance like this in my life to do real newspaper color…Right from the start, I started using the most elaborate color schemes I could get.” Future editions will be released on a quarterly schedule.

Born in Hillsboro, Ohio in 1907, Milton Caniff received two Reuben awards from the National Cartoonists Society, the Exceptional Service Award of the United States Air Force, as well as the nickname "the Rembrandt of the comic strip." The Complete Terry and the Pirates joins IDW’s ongoing The Complete Dick Tracy series presenting the best examples of the American newspaper comic strip.

A Library of American Comics Original
THE COMPLETE TERRY AND THE PIRATES
Vol. 1: 1934-1936
by Milton Caniff
Introduction by Howard Chaykin
Hardcover, 11” X 8.5”
Full Color & B&W • 368 pages, with index
$49.99, ISBN: 978-1-60010-100-7

I don't think that I have ever read any of them but I will be picking this up.
Old 03-17-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 347 Posts
I know the strip by name only, but have heard about Milton Caniff from somewhere (maybe Terry and the Pirates? d'oh!). I love that these type sets are coming out (a la Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes) and will most likely grab this.

I heard something about some old old old Mutt and Jeff comics being released in a compilation book, too - I love the old pre-1940 Mutt and Jeff!!
Old 08-26-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.c...e-5354d0e858c7

Ed Brubaker

Date: Aug 26, 2007 3:36 AM
Subject: This week’s best comic was...
Body: For me, the best thing, and the best surprise I got at the comics store this week was the first volume of the Complete Terry and the Pirates. There were a lot of good books this week, and I bought a lot of comics, but this is the nicest looking archive edition of Caniff's stuff I've ever seen. The Sunday pages are absolutely gorgeous. I don't geek out much over stuff like this, but you have got to go buy this book. About halfway through it, Caniff start becoming a giant. The next three volumes in this set (or is it only two more?) are going to be amazing.

Did anyone else pick this up? I noticed it will be in my next DCBS order.
Old 09-23-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Bump: anyone pick this up?
Old 09-23-07, 10:04 PM

I have it, it's very nice. About 9 x 12, very heavy book. Good thick paper. The Sunday color strips are presented first (about 110 pages worth), then the daily strips take up the rest of the book. Well worth it.

EDIT: Meant to say that the daily strips follow the Sunday strips, but once the daily and Sunday storylines join up, they are presented together.

Last edited by Shiv Shankly; 09-24-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I haven't picked this up. I really want to, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to read it.

Oh, who am I kidding. It's now in my Amazon cart.
Old 09-26-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I gotta pick this up. Looks like vols. 2 and 3 are coming out in Jan--awesome.
Old 04-06-08, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am almost done with Vol 2 and am really loving this book.

Vol 4 solict for July huge spoilers inside!

Spoiler:
THE COMPLETE TERRY AND THE PIRATES, VOL. 4 -- 1941-1942

Written and art by Milton Caniff.

America's premiere adventure comic strip thunders to its pre-War crescendo in an October, 1941 storyline so powerful, creator Milton Caniff was forced to take to the radio airwaves to explain why he chose to shock the nation with the death of a major character. In the 1942 strips, the World War drives Terry Lee to join the military, where he meets nurse Taffy Tucker and Army flight instructor Flip Corkin, then gets into plenty of trouble investigating a spy ring! And then there's the women‹the strong, beautiful and independent Caniff women. . . . IDW Publishing's Library of American Comics has collected over 700 newspaper strips, including more than 100 Sunday pages restored to their original luster, in this pivotal volume in the Terry and the Pirates saga. With a biographical essay by Bruce Canwell and an introduction by Jerry Robinson. The fourth in a six-volume series edited by Dean Mullaney.

352 pages, $49.99.

Old 08-06-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just wondering how many others have picked up multiple volumes?

I enjoyed the 75% of vol. 1 when I had some reading time on my hands, but haven't picked it up since and am not sure how badly I need the second volume. Of course if I was familiar with the series and looking for a certain plotline, it'd be a different story.