Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Reporting copyrighted material on Youtube?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had it many times where when I search for trailers/behind the scenes for certain movies on Youtube, I come across users who have uploaded entire movies in parts. Does anyone know how to report this to the administrators or to the owners of the films? I know it's not really our job to do that, but it bothers me (not as much as the news items posted in Other about subhuman parents abusing their children, but still...)
Old 03-17-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried looking into it on the YouTube site once, when I saw that people were just uploading films from the DVD, and it said that "IF I WAS THE OWNER OF THE COPYWRITTEN MATERIAL, I HAD TO FILL OUT A REQUEST FOR IT TO BE TAKEN DOWN".

Of course they get away with it most of the time because the owners of the material simply aren't aware of it.
Old 03-17-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Youtube is being sued by Viacom and I'm sure more suits will follow.
Old 03-17-07, 03:41 PM

So you're the jerks that are taking down all the good videos
Old 03-17-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
On ebay, you have to be the copyright holder to accomplish anything, so I'm guessign youtube would have a similar policy.
Old 03-17-07, 05:41 PM

if somone wants to see a movie without paying for it, they're going to be able to regardless of if it's on youtube or not.
i wouldn't spend too much time thinking on how to report this... the movie studios are WELL aware what content is on the net.
Old 03-17-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
So you're the jerks that are taking down all the good videos
Yeah, seriously, why do you care?
Old 03-18-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I don't get it...does Hollywood seriously feel threatened by people who want to post bootlegs on YouTube. Granted, I HATE bootlegs and bootleggers, but let's face it, the movie industry is not losing all that money they claim they are losing. I seriously doubt those people would go out to buy those movies anyway...if for not the bootleg then they would just live with out it. Am I supporting bootlegs? Hell no. But I would not waste my time getting my undies in a bundle when I find them online.

And these studios suing You Tube....that also amazes me. Like Universal requiring they take down all the Colbert and Daily Show clips...as if people are only watching those shows in clips on YouTube. Uh, no, they found the show so funny they want to relive those moments, and share them with friends and the show gets more popular through word of mouth. Should people pay for it? Well, that's the point of the lawsuit, I suppose, but I'd look at it as free advertisement. And I know that's not why people post those videos online, but really, it is free advertisement. Not everybody wants to go to ITunes and pay per episode to watch a clip they want to see again.
Old 03-18-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Danmit, I have often said to myself, "Wow, I can't see that movie in 24 parts, on a three inch screen, extremely low res, filmed with a cell phone from the back of a theater... now I have to buy the DVD."
Old 03-18-07, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by GrimTangent
I've had it many times where when I search for trailers/behind the scenes for certain movies on Youtube, I come across users who have uploaded entire movies in parts. Does anyone know how to report this to the administrators or to the owners of the films? I know it's not really our job to do that, but it bothers me (not as much as the news items posted in Other about subhuman parents abusing their children, but still...)
why? who cares. you get to watch it free. hollywood isn`t lose any sleep over it.
Old 03-18-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by bloopbleep
why? who cares. you get to watch it free. hollywood isn`t lose any sleep over it.
I care. And if more people took this stance, the less bootlegging there might be. I report anything to my studio's security.
Old 03-19-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Narc!
Old 03-19-07, 01:33 PM

If someone wants to be a dick and illegally DL a movie - so be it. If someone wants to be a loser and sit at their PC and watch a movie in 15 parts on a 4 inch Youtube screen, instead of on dvd with perfect quality and sound on a comfy couch or chair, instead of paying for it, let them be losers as well.
Old 03-19-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think about this logically. You can't file a claim in court stating that Person A is violating company B's copyright if you're not affiliated with either. The same is true with Youtube. If company B wants to complain, they can.
Old 03-19-07, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I care. And if more people took this stance, the less bootlegging there might be. I report anything to my studio's security.
you care about some the most greedy people who ever existed(HOLLYWOOD). people who make money by lying. people who love to screw and have been screwing the people for years with thier overpriced dvds and cable bills, people who don`t even know you or I exist. I just worry about my health,bills, food on the table and getting laid. sorry I and millions of other people could care less if Hollywood gets screwed.
Old 03-19-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you care about some the most greedy people who ever existed(HOLLYWOOD). people who make money by lying. people who love to screw and have been screwing the people for years with thier overpriced dvds and cable bills, people who don`t even know you or I exist. I just worry about my health,bills, food on the table and getting laid. sorry I and millions of other people could care less if Hollywood gets screwed.
I happen to work in this industry for a major studio and I will report offenses against my place of employement. Would you not do the same for your place of employment or is your job that shitty yet that secure that you could turn the other way?
Old 03-19-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These studios don't understand that the best publicity they could ever buy is on Youtube. And it doesn't cost them anything. I've started watching shows just because people have posted funny scenes on Youtube. Not because some networks lame ass commercial enticed me to do it. And no I would never watch a movie on Youtube for the reasons others have stated.
Old 03-19-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts
I really think that studios are making a much bigger deal about downloading than they should. It seems like at worst, the benefits and downside cancel each other out, but mostly, it's free advertising.

I will admit to watching a few tv shows, getting fanatical about making my own downloaded dvds, then buying the region 2 dvd releases since they came out sooner than the US versions (which I guess is a Hollywood crime). I've seen movies online only to go to the theater later. Same for music and deciding to go to a concert based on what I put on my ipod.

I have cable (w/Starz, HBO, Showtime etc), Blockbuster Online, and kids who love to go to the theater, so it isn't that I won't spend money for entertainment. It's more about convenience and what's available.

I did just buy a home theater, and that has affected my movie going decisions a great deal. I think the smartest thing movie studios could do is recognize that availability is crucial. It would be hard on theaters unless they got some percentage of "on demand" profits, but rather than worrying about illegal downloading, I think studios ought to make legal downloading high quality, affordable, fast, and convenient.
Old 03-19-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I host karaoke shows and created a youtube page of the regular singers doing karaoke at my local bar and one of the videos of my friend singing got pulled due to copyright violation... amazing. He was singing Sinead O'connor. I still can't figure out how that got pulled... a video I shot myself of my friend singing!

search for Murphys Arms Karaoke if you want to torture yourself.
Old 03-19-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
These studios don't understand that the best publicity they could ever buy is on Youtube. And it doesn't cost them anything. I've started watching shows just because people have posted funny scenes on Youtube. Not because some networks lame ass commercial enticed me to do it. And no I would never watch a movie on Youtube for the reasons others have stated.
Scenes are one thing, full movies are another. And some movies already have a presence set up on YouTube without people having to add their own content. Ghost Rider, for example, has weblogs on YouTube, set up by Sony publicity. Spidey 3, also.
Old 03-19-07, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I happen to work in this industry for a major studio and I will report offenses against my place of employement. Would you not do the same for your place of employment or is your job that shitty yet that secure that you could turn the other way?
if your in the hollywood business, you of all people should know thier is no loyality in this business. you should actually download stuff from this major studio you work for to youtube for free publicity. you would actually be helping your studio more that way then by reporting things. its called free publicity. people who didn`t know your studio existed would see what your studio has to offer.
Old 03-19-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if your in the hollywood business, you of all people should know thier is no loyality in this business. you should actually download stuff from this major studio you work for to youtube for free publicity. you would actually be helping your studio more that way then by reporting things. its called free publicity. people who didn`t know your studio existed would see what your studio has to offer.
Our publicity department already creates free exclusive content for YouTube (and Grouper and Google) for upcoming releases, but they aren't going to upload a full movie. And with studios spending millions to publicize on TV, at the theater, in print and on billboards, I find it hard to believe there are people that you claim wouldn't know a particular studio existed because of something uploaded to the internet. That was the most asinine statement I've read in a while.

And what do you know about loyalty? Let me ask again, do you have such a supreme job that they don't mind if you fuck them over?
Old 03-19-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's a pretty harsh indictment from someone who has 300+ posts in a DVD forum and lists his occupation as "actor."
Old 03-20-07, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Remind the teacher to assign homework.
Old 03-20-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
That's a pretty harsh indictment from someone who has 300+ posts in a DVD forum and lists his occupation as "actor."
Sounds to me like a typical actor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.