Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion in June

The Two of Us (1967; $39.95)

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
Le poulet (1962), director Claude Berri’s Oscar-winning short film, an earlier, playful take on the subject of disguise
New video interviews, with Berri and actor Alain Cohen
Two interviews from 1967: Berri on his family roots and identity and Michel Simon on his role
An excerpt from a 1975 French talk-show segment, “The Jewish Children of Occupied France,” featuring Berri and the woman who helped secure his family’s safety during World War II
Original theatrical trailer
New and improved English subtitle translation
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic David Sterritt, an appreciation of the film by François Truffaut, and excerpts from Berri’s memoir

WR: Mysteries of the Organism (1971; $39.95)

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Dušan Makavejev
Audio commentary assembled from Raymond Durgnat's 1999 book on the film
Hole in the Soul, Makavejev’s 1994 tragicomic autobiographical short film, originally made for the BBC
New video interview with Makavejev
PLUS: A new essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

Sweet Movie (1974; $29.95)

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Dušan Makavejev
New video interview with Makavejev
New interview with Balkan film scholar Dina Iordanova
Actress Anna Prucnal sings a song featured in the film
PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Stanley Cavell and David Sterritt

If... (1968; $39.95)

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek and assistant editor Ian Rakoff
Audio commentary featuring film critic and historian David Robinson and actor Malcolm McDowell
A 2003 episode from the Scottish TV series Cast and Crew about If. . . ., featuring interviews with McDowell, Ondricek, director’s assistant Stephen Frears, producer Michael Medwin, and screenwriter David Sherwin
Thursday’s Children (1955), Anderson’s Academy Award–winning breakthrough documentary about a school for deaf children, co-directed by Guy Brenton and narrated by Richard Burton
New video interview with actor Graham Crowden
Original theatrical trailers
PLUS: A booklet featuring pieces by critic David Ehrenstein, screenwriter David Sherwin, and director Lindsay Anderson

La jetée/Sans soleil (1963; $39.95)

GUILLAUME-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
New, restored high-definition digital transfers, approved by director Chris Marker
New video interview with filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin
Chris on Chris, a video piece on Marker by filmmaker and critic Chris Darke
An excerpt from the French TV series Court Circuit: The Magazine, presenting a clip from David Bowie’s music video, “Jump They Say,” which is inspired by La jetée
New and improved English subtitle translations
Old 03-16-07, 09:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the news OP...
Some interesting selections this time...
I wont be picking any of these up but I'll definitely have to Netflix "If..."
Old 03-16-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If for sure.
Old 03-16-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Just read some plot summaries for Sweet Movie and Mysteries of the Organism and all i have to say is...interesting. Not sure they would be something i would want to pay to see, but...interesting. If im excited about though.
Old 03-16-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No if about IF - hopefully O LUCKY MAN is not far behind. And even though the third part of the trilogy has been released on DVD, the Criterion treatment would get me to double-dip.
Old 03-16-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm definitely in for If, Sweet Movie, and WR. Possibly Sans Soleil/La Jetee
Old 03-16-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got a chance to see "if..." recently and will definitely be adding it to my collection (and Warner said they'll be releasing the second part in the "trilogy", "O Lucky Man" sometime this year, which is extra nice.) "12 Monkeys" is based on "La Jetee", which is enough to make me want to see and own it.

"The Two of Us" I'll be sure to rent, and the other two I don't think are quite my cup of tea.

Anyways, this looks like another fantastic month in what has so far been a great year for Criterion. Supposedly "Ivan's Childhood", "Ace in the Hole" and Melville's "Les Enfants Terrible" are all coming out by the end of the summer, which is extremely exciting.

Last edited by Sondheim; 03-18-07 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is nudity on the covers!! This is an outrage!

I kid. I kid.
Old 03-17-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All but La Jetee....good news!! I must say however this is a very strange pick to reintroduce Berri to US audiences.

Pro-B
Old 03-17-07, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
All but La Jetee....good news!! I must say however this is a very strange pick to reintroduce Berri to US audiences.

Pro-B
Why, "all but La Jetee"? It's certainly a worthy film. I'll only pick up the disc at used prices since already own the WB disc, and I think the MSRP is ridiculous for the amount of content...but I'm all about the film getting exposure to the masses via a spot in Criterion's library. It's a beautiful short.

-JP
Old 03-17-07, 10:16 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Awesome selection for June. WR is much anticipated.
Old 03-17-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Why, "all but La Jetee"? It's certainly a worthy film. I'll only pick up the disc at used prices since already own the WB disc, and I think the MSRP is ridiculous for the amount of content...but I'm all about the film getting exposure to the masses via a spot in Criterion's library. It's a beautiful short.

-JP
I am going to be honest with you: La Jetee is one of the very few films I saw that did absolutely nothing for me. In fact, this is the one film where I think that Hollywood's involvement/Gilliam actually gave the story more credibility-you have to agree that visually 12 Monkeys is very impressive. On top of that a very good UK disc has been out for some time.

I am simply not an admirer!

Pro-B
Old 03-17-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must say however this is a very strange pick to reintroduce Berri to US audiences.

Pro-B
I'm wondering why they didn't showcase either Jean de Florette or Manon Of The Springs as both are now OOP. And they're probably his most widely appreciated films.
Old 03-17-07, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr

-JP
The Marker two-fer is not just a short film, La Jetee, but also his feature film, Sans Soleil. If it were just La Jetee, I think the price would have been commiserate with something like Night and Fog.
Old 03-17-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

It's La Jetee and Sans Soleil. Sans Soleil alone is worth the money!
Old 03-18-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, lots of Criterion worthy films for June.

Thumbs up for Makavejev.

If Criterion ever gets around to O Lucky Man let's hope they include a soundtrack CD.
Old 03-19-07, 10:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh ... my... god...

Sweet Movie... what a literal head fuck of a movie (that's a positive statement) ....

awesome news!
Old 03-19-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
if... finaly!

I remember a few years ago when the head of Paramount's home-video at that time posted here that if... was on it's way within the year. Now about 5 years later, we get a Criterion - I guess that's fair.
Old 03-19-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to be honest with you: La Jetee is one of the very few films I saw that did absolutely nothing for me. In fact, this is the one film where I think that Hollywood's involvement/Gilliam actually gave the story more credibility-you have to agree that visually 12 Monkeys is very impressive. On top of that a very good UK disc has been out for some time.
'La Jetee' did nothing for me as well. I found it incredibly boring. I was able to sell the OOP 'Shorts 2' dvd that it was on for a nice profit, and since I am looking forward to seeing 'Sans soleil', I will be buying it for that.
Old 03-19-07, 02:47 PM

Wow, we watched part of Sweet Movie in school and I've been trying to remember what it was for years. I'll be very interested to see if this is really as disturbing as I remember.
Old 03-19-07, 02:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
Wow, we watched part of Sweet Movie in school and I've been trying to remember what it was for years. I'll be very interested to see if this is really as disturbing as I remember.
I don't remember it being disturbing, just really really kinky...

Spoiler:
golden showers from Dean Vernon Wormer... er, I mean John Vernon
Old 03-19-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
It's La Jetee and Sans Soleil. Sans Soleil alone is worth the money!
Definitely. As much as I love "Jetee", and especially that one sublime, ineffable scene that evinces the power of "motion pictures" as no other film has, I have to agree that it is "Soleil" that is the most masterful masterpiece on this DVD. And the best Marker film I've ever seen, though I have many left to see.

Hopefully, this means more Marker to come, and perhaps his Tarkovsky documentary "One day in the life..." as a special feature on either "Ivan's Childhood" or a re-released "Andrei Rublev".
Old 03-19-07, 04:49 PM

I'm not familiar with a single one of these movies, but I want to buy them all simply for the artwork. Especially WR and If.....