Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Showtime. Did I really see this? + Bonus Thread: Your own forgettable movies.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

We've all seen unforgettable movies in the theatres. And we've seen our share of forgettables as well. Not bad movies, just stuff you don't really think about, like the 1999 Val Kilmer / Mira Sorvino vehicle At First Sight. Or Swimfan. Or Dana Carvey's Clean Slate. Or Unnecessary Roughness.

I was recently going through the old Rank 'Em As You See 'Em threads and noticed that I had, somehow, seen Showtime.

What?

Showtime? Really? Showtime? This seems like the type of crappy movie I'd remember.

But I can't recall a single damn thing about the movie. So, I ask you for your help. Can you name some scenes that I might remember? Was my viewing of Showtime so bad, so truly terrible, that I commanded my brain to never think of it again?

I just saw the trailer but I still can't remember anything outside of what the trailer has shown me.

Bonus Thread: Has this happened to you? What was the movie?

Last edited by The Bus; 03-16-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember going to see Almost Heroes, the 1998 period comedy with Chris Farley and Matthew Petty as two guys trying to beat out Lewis & Clark.

What I just typed was information I just read on IMDB. I have absolutely no recollection of this movie whatsoever.
Old 03-16-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUS: It's Necessary Roughness, not Unnecessary Roughness. Plus its one of the best football movies EVER!

Anyways onto your question. I know i've seen Bye Bye Love with Paul Reiser. I have no idea what the movie is about or who's in it. I know i watched it back in High School because a girl i was dating wanted to see it.
Old 03-16-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
BUS: It's Necessary Roughness, not Unnecessary Roughness. Plus its one of the best football movies EVER!

Anyways onto your question. I know i've seen Bye Bye Love with Paul Reiser. I have no idea what the movie is about or who's in it. I know i watched it back in High School because a girl i was dating wanted to see it.
Actually, Bye Bye Love isn't that bad. It's like watching a feature-length sitcom, but it could've been a lot worse.

Plus it falls under my "2 cast members from Buffy rule". That rule states if any movie has at least 2 actors who were on Buffy, it's gotta be at least watchable. Bye Bye Love has Eliza Dushku and Amber Benson. Of course Seth Green had to go render that rule meaningless when I found out he'd been in My Stepmother Is an Alien with Alyson Hannigan.
Old 03-16-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I also saw Showtime, yet I can only remember 1 scene in the entire movie, and that is of DeNiro yelling at a camera man to move out of the way.

I've seen Metro, and don't remember a single thing.

Blown Away, I remember Tommy Lee Jones terrible accent, but that's all.

The Siege...a bus blowing up? Soldiers marching on the Brooklyn Bridge. Umm.....
Old 03-16-07, 03:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a few like that, especially from the time I won a year's worth of movie passes and honestly saw about 95% of the movies our theater got. I think I only missed about 12 wide release movies that year, and that includes kids flicks. Looking at my list I even actually saw See Spot Run... all I remember about it is David Arquette, and a big dog... things I could have known just from looking at the poster/DVD box.
Old 03-16-07, 03:40 PM

Most of Michael Bay films. I have seen Bad Boys I & II, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor more than once on telly but they never seem to stick. I honestly can't remember a single scene. Exception to the lot is The Rock which I had seen numerous times (even own on DVD) as a young kid.
Old 03-16-07, 03:51 PM

Aside from remembering that it sucked, I remember one of the biggest flaws of Showtime being that DeNiro's cop character says in the beginning that being a cop isn't like what you see on TV. Then the entire movie is car chases and shootouts. And Renee Russo turns it into a reality show with Eddie Murphy as his partner.

Some utterly forgettable movies for me: Abandon - Shitty Katie Holmes movie from Stephen Gaghan, No Escape - Starring Ray Liotta, Unforgettable (ironically enough) - Also starring Ray Liotta.

I'm sure there's more. I just can't recall them at the moment.
Old 03-16-07, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There's some art thief movie with Sandra Bullock and Denis Leary (Two If By Sea?). I went and saw it for some reason, don't remember a thing about it.
Old 03-16-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually remember some scenes from Showtime. Like when Rene Russo fixes up DeNiros apartment, the scene with Eddie Murphy practicing his jumps/rolls over the hood of the car with William Shatner, and the end when they are at a gun show.
Old 03-16-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I've seen Metro, and don't remember a single thing.
Metro has one scene which I immediately filed away for future use. I believe there's some kind of testing going on and they may or may not be picking on the rookie, played by Michael Rappaport.

The trick is, how do you get a cigarette from inside an empty Coke bottle standing on a desk. You can't touch or move the bottle. I think they tried some string or something, and then Eddie Murphy (maybe, maybe it was the captain of the police force) took a jar of water and poured it into the Coke bottle. The cigarette floated to the top.

That's the only thing I remembered from the movie.

That's still the worst "Two Thumbs Up!" movie I've ever seen.
Old 03-16-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Metro has one scene which I immediately filed away for future use. I believe there's some kind of testing going on and they may or may not be picking on the rookie, played by Michael Rappaport.

The trick is, how do you get a cigarette from inside an empty Coke bottle standing on a desk. You can't touch or move the bottle. I think they tried some string or something, and then Eddie Murphy (maybe, maybe it was the captain of the police force) took a jar of water and poured it into the Coke bottle. The cigarette floated to the top.

That's the only thing I remembered from the movie.

I think it was a pen cap, not a cigarette.
Old 03-16-07, 04:43 PM

That could be another thread right there.
Old 03-16-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw Superman Returns in the theater and on DVD about 3 weeks ago. Still can't remember anything about the flick. So forgetable.
Old 03-16-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Speaking of De Niro, I know I have seen 15 Minutes but I do not recall a thing about it.
Old 03-16-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There have been a few times where I will say, "hey lets rent this", and my wife will say "we've already seen it." The only one I can think of now is Darkness Falls. My wife insists we rented it once, but I have no earthly clue what it is about.
Old 03-16-07, 06:27 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Death Becomes Her

I want to shoot myself everytime I remember that I WENT TO THAT IN THE THEATER!
Old 03-16-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
I recently had a friend talk to me about the the time we went to see Celtic Pride in the theater.

My first response was, "What the hell is Celtic Pride?"

Until I actually saw an old movie poster for it, I couldn't remember a single thing about it...nothing.
Old 03-16-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Metro has one scene which I immediately filed away for future use.
Hey! I immediatley filed that trick away too...it's been what? 10 years since Metro was released, and I'm still waiting for some fool to try and pull that test on me.

And Ironically enough, that scene and the "Who am I, Redd Foxx?" scene are the only scenes I remember as well. Though I might only be remembering the Redd Foxx scene cause it was in the trailer...
Old 03-18-07, 01:07 AM

I have never seen the film "Matinee" in it's entirety, despite going to see it twice. I've fallen asleep both times, usually at the 15-minute mark. I can't describe for the life of me what that film is about. Nothing To Lose is another one. Despite my opinion that Tim Robbins is a great actor, I can't remember anything about that film except a lot of swearing.
Old 03-18-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
I saw Superman Returns in the theater and on DVD about 3 weeks ago. Still can't remember anything about the flick. So forgetable.

Maybe you were subjected to the "amnesia kiss" from Lester's SUPERMAN II.