Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

how much do you spend monthly on comics?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 01:11 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am just very interested to know how much you guys spend a month on comics?
Old 03-09-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently around $15-20. Sometimes a few bucks more if I find something cheap on eBay. I have cut WAY back over the past year.
Old 03-09-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was typically in the $100 range, but came to my senses a few months ago and brought that down to the $30-$40 range.

My latest order was $50. Stupid Buffy Omnibus.
Old 03-09-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a month without any extras, about $75. About every other month however, I'll pick up a hard cover, a mini statue, or some toy. Those average about $30. I used to spend $100 a month when comics were less than a buck. Man, I used to get a crapload of books back then.
Old 03-09-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I don't want to know. If I had to hazard a guess, it's probably around $60-$80/month.
Old 03-09-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
lately has been around $125-150. That includes the singles I still get, as well as new trades, and a few catalog ones.
Old 03-09-07, 03:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
I've been an on-and-off, but fairly consistent collector for years.

I was very consistent from about 1980 to 2000, my monthly average starting around $50 but creeping closer to $150 near the end. $2-300 months were not that uncommon.

I went cold turkey at that point, now just going on occasional sprees and mainly sticking to TPBs. For the last few years I average maybe $40 a month.
Old 03-09-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Around $300 to $350. But that includes statues and other misc. things I might add to the order for my kids like Godzilla plushes etc.
Old 03-09-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On just comics now, since I'm not a retailer anymore, I spend about $300-400 a month but when you throw in statues & figures occasionally it can reach $700 or more.

I know that seems insane to some, especially when I see constantly on this board people saying they can't afford a few issues a month so they simply have to switch to trade. For me, I love comics, have since I was a kind & I will when I'm an old man & I don't mind spending my money on something I love. I make good money, I work hard for it, so why not spend it on what makes you happy. At least that is how I justify it to the girlfriend, when she yells at me.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-09-07 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow....I spend 20-30/month
Old 03-09-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
On just comics now, since I'm not a retailer anymore, I spend about $300-400 a month but when you throw in statues & figures occasionally it can reach $700 or more.

I know that seems insane to some, especially when I see constantly on this board people saying they can't afford a few issues a month so they simply have to switch to trade. For me, I love comics, have since I was a kind & I will when I'm an old man & I don't mind spending my money on something I love. I make good money, I work hard for it, so why not spend it on what makes you happy. At least that is how I justify it to the girlfriend, when she yells at me.
I don't think you're nuts. I'd shell out plenty more for comics except I have a problem you don't. I'm married. Good luck spending that much on ANYTHING once you're married.

But seriously, I'm guessing you buy a load of books every month with $400. My problem now is that I'm very quickly running out of room for these books. I have about 40 long boxes. How many do you have and where do you keep them?
Old 03-10-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
I don't think you're nuts. I'd shell out plenty more for comics except I have a problem you don't. I'm married. Good luck spending that much on ANYTHING once you're married.
Yeah, the girlfriend gives me a hard time as it is now, if she sees me buying statues. Fortunately marriage is still a looooong way off for me.

But seriously, I'm guessing you buy a load of books every month with $400. My problem now is that I'm very quickly running out of room for these books. I have about 40 long boxes. How many do you have and where do you keep them?
When the apartment gets to crowded with comics, it's time to visiant the parents, & unload some long boxes. Statues though, I have a huge problem with now. I basically just rotate what I have on display, I can only fit so much. Most of my statues are just in boxes in my closets, in hopes of some day owning a home where all my geekiness can be displayed in full glory.
Old 03-10-07, 09:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Yeah, the girlfriend gives me a hard time as it is now, if she sees me buying statues. Fortunately marriage is still a looooong way off for me.

in hopes of some day owning a home where all my geekiness can be displayed in full glory.
Not to get too deep here, but sometimes I think my ocd/hoarding-like collecting may make marriage an impossibility.

But back to storage, I too think/say that same line when people see my closets packed full of stuff. "Some day I'll own a home where all my geekiness can be displayed in full glory"
Old 03-10-07, 10:07 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

holy crap 700 bucks a month! you must make a boatload of money.
Old 03-10-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
On monthlies, as little as $3 a month and as much as maybe $20. I only have a couple of steady books (and one of them is "Astonishing X-Men", which doesn't exactly have the most reliable publishing schedule) but tend to pick up miniseries every once in a while.

I'll usually drop $80-$100 an order on trade paperbacks and hardcovers from DCBS, and I do that every month or two.
Old 03-11-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Between 30 to 40 a week all DC.
Old 03-11-07, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spend between 20-30 per week on my books. But I can assure you I will be saving 5.99 per month since I dropped Wizard and anything related to Wizard magazine. Never again will I give Gareb Shamus one red cent....Wizard is STILL selling huge amounts of Captain America #25 on Ebay. My estimate is that Wizard has sold over 5000 copies of this book since Wednesday. That is 5000 copies at at least $10-$12 per book. This should be investigated IMMEDIATELY...
Old 03-12-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe $20-$30, seeing as I usually buy $100 worth of trades a few times a year.
Old 03-12-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I go through Previews every month and highlight everything I want. Then I end up chopping a few hundred dollars off each order because the damn wife & kids complain. "We need food". "We have to pay the mortgage". Shit like that. Ah well, I still end up with some nice hc's, great trades, a statue every other month or so.

And on your $700, you're having fun and not hurting anyone else, I say enjoy!

Old 03-12-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm at around $50 a month these days.

What's interesting is that a while ago, when comics were cheaper, I spent almost double that a month. But when prices got jacked, I cut down enough where I spent way less even with more expensive books - and the comic book companies should take note of that because I'm pretty sure I wasn't alone.
Old 03-12-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
holy crap 700 bucks a month! you must make a boatload of money.
Not really, but I do all right, especially for my age & DVDs use to take up a lot of the spending money, I've cut back drastically. I've just never had the attitude of being stingy with my money. I work for it, so I spend it on what I enjoy, as long as I still have enough to pay the bills, & keep the girlfriend moderately happy.