Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one sick of DVDs going OOP quickly?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The past few days, we've learned 1900, for unknown reasons is going OOP after only 3 months in circulation.

The great Oldboy 3 Disc set, is OOP now after 4/5 months and Tartan seems to have no plans to re-release it.

This shit is really irking me; I totally understand if Tartan wanted the tin set to go OOP and then all future copies would be the discs alone: no film cel, manga or fancy packaging. They released one of the finest DVD sets I've ever seen for a single film and they want to be stingy with it.

Anyone else tired of this crap? All I see it doing is giving bootleggers a new title to churn out, since there are a lot of people who would pay $20 or $30 for a bootleg of it six months down the line, rather than shelling out $100+ for the real thing.
Old 03-09-07, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, no because the way I view it is that new items are always coming about.
If your a collector, its a snooze you lose type deal.

If you really wanted it you should have picked it up first day. The thing is though, even though these things may go out of print, you may still find it in stores.

I'm an action figure collector as well, so its almost the same thing. Action Figures may get a wide release but after a while they stop making a certain product and then its the same deal. People will jack up the prices and we are left kicking ourselves for not picking it up sooner....

Thems the life...
Old 03-09-07, 01:24 AM

Well Oldboy was a limited edition set, and that enough shouldve been a warning. But I guess when you have so many "LE" dvd's like Memento and Saving Private Ryan, its hard to know which ones to take seriously. Plus theyre not really giving bootleggers anything because they already have the 1 disc released, which is still pretty nice compared to some asian film dvds.
Old 03-09-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheJoker
Well, no because the way I view it is that new items are always coming about.
If your a collector, its a snooze you lose type deal.

If you really wanted it you should have picked it up first day. The thing is though, even though these things may go out of print, you may still find it in stores.

I'm an action figure collector as well, so its almost the same thing. Action Figures may get a wide release but after a while they stop making a certain product and then its the same deal. People will jack up the prices and we are left kicking ourselves for not picking it up sooner....

Thems the life...

Some people might not have the money to pick up everything they want on release day. I know I don't...I have 900+ DVDs, and there are still plenty I want.
Old 03-09-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it means they, the studios, actually release some of their movies in back catalogue (like 1900) than no it does not bother me one bit. At least give us a choice to own the DVD or not to. Some other titles like United 93, Jarhead CE going OOP the same day, that is annoying but at least these things get released. IMO that matters more, that it get's a release in the 1st place and not wether or when it goes OOP.
Old 03-09-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought the Oldboy set was titles "Collectors Edition" not Limted Edition or Limted Collectors Edition.

I'm not against stuff going OOP altogether, but 4/5 months is rediculous. If something is on shelves for a good year, then I'd say it's fair game.

I really don't see the action figure comparrison; there's effort put into the bonus material on these releases, and for them to be released in very small quantities, for a short time, doesn't give the people inolved the respect they deserve.
Old 03-09-07, 05:20 AM

Who said Tartan won't release another SE with all 3 discs somewhere down the line? Or an HD set?

As far as stuff going OOP, there's already no more room on store shelves (which is why the Oldboy tins are all dented) and there's 200 new titles every Tuesday.

Some people assume that if they wait long enough, every dvd will be on sale for 90% off, with B1G1 and a Google Checkout deal. But sometimes you're going to get burned. Sorry, but them's the breaks.
Old 03-09-07, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of items going OOP after a couple of weeks. Case in point: United 93 and Jarhead 2-disc editions from Universal. I did manage to get Jarhead new on ebay, but U93 I haven't seen for a looong time.
Old 03-09-07, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
Some people assume that if they wait long enough, every dvd will be on sale for 90% off, with B1G1 and a Google Checkout deal. But sometimes you're going to get burned. Sorry, but them's the breaks.
Plus, since all the titles mentioned so far in this thread were explicitly labeled by the company as "Collector's Edition" or "Limited Edition" there doesn't seem to be much cause for complaint. Typically the regular editions continue to be available.
Old 03-09-07, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, you are.
Old 03-09-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'm not against stuff going OOP altogether, but 4/5 months is rediculous. If something is on shelves for a good year, then I'd say it's fair game.
IMO, 4/5 months is plenty of time to pick up something you really want. As Mr. Cinema mentioned, look at people who miss out on releases w/store exclusives (lenticular covers, extra disc, steelbook case) a mere week or two after they're out.
Old 03-09-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when Oldboy was announced, there was NO mention that's is "limited".actully, DVDplanet.com is the only online retailer that adds the word "limited" to the title.

personally, i feel sick cos i had to pay alot in the last few days to order Oldboy and Cinema Paradiso limited boxsets....1900 and Heat are rumored to be OOP too...argh i hate it when so many things go OOP at the same time, not to mention,you don't know exactly when they will,you will check amazon and suddenly bang! it's OOP.
Old 03-09-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
IMO, 4/5 months is plenty of time to pick up something you really want. As Mr. Cinema mentioned, look at people who miss out on releases w/store exclusives (lenticular covers, extra disc, steelbook case) a mere week or two after they're out.
I agree that 4-5 months is a reasonable time for a "non-exclusive" type of release, but I'm still furious about the MASH: Martinis & Medicine box set going OOP in what seemed like mere weeks, with no warning, and with a woefully insufficient supply online and in stores to fall back on.
Old 03-09-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I agree that 4-5 months is a reasonable time for a "non-exclusive" type of release, but I'm still furious about the MASH: Martinis & Medicine box set going OOP in what seemed like mere weeks, with no warning, and with a woefully insufficient supply online and in stores to fall back on.
I too am frustrated by stuff going out of print. Mostly due to me pushing off getting stuff thinking I can pick it up next month. When Jarhead came out on dvd i had recently seen it in theaters, so I wasnt too worried about picking it up quickly. Now I really want it, and can't find the ce for a reasonable price anywhere.
Oh, all this talk about Oldboy got me curious so I looked up teh movie and it sounds like a truly awesome flick. Couldn't find it anywhere local yesterday, but i did see several copies of the MASH set, so its still out there.
Old 03-09-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
I too am frustrated by stuff going out of print. Mostly due to me pushing off getting stuff thinking I can pick it up next month. When Jarhead came out on dvd i had recently seen it in theaters, so I wasnt too worried about picking it up quickly. Now I really want it, and can't find the ce for a reasonable price anywhere.
Oh, all this talk about Oldboy got me curious so I looked up teh movie and it sounds like a truly awesome flick. Couldn't find it anywhere local yesterday, but i did see several copies of the MASH set, so its still out there.
I got my Jarhead 2-disc on ebay about a month ago. It was sealed/new. Paid the retail of $39.99. Check there every so often...
Old 03-09-07, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
when Oldboy was announced, there was NO mention that's is "limited".actully, DVDplanet.com is the only online retailer that adds the word "limited" to the title.

personally, i feel sick cos i had to pay alot in the last few days to order Oldboy and Cinema Paradiso limited boxsets....1900 and Heat are rumored to be OOP too...argh i hate it when so many things go OOP at the same time, not to mention,you don't know exactly when they will,you will check amazon and suddenly bang! it's OOP.

For future reference, a two pound tin the size of a cigarbox is always limited.

No one can claim that dvds go "bang!" OOP. There is a thread here updated every Sunday. Heat was on it. 1900 was on it.

There are also threads in the bargain forum deicated to sales. 1900 was $10 at DvdEmpire last week. Heat was $10 at Best Buy last week. (both are still widely available).

HUNDREDS of dvds go OOP every week. You have to do some research.
Old 03-09-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol, dude iam not a newbie, i know that 1003939393 go OOP everyday but:

first,The Oldboy set went OOP a month ago and I WAS the one who posted about it in the other Oldboy.sadly, no one replied then.

second,i was just saying that iam pissed that so many MUST-HAVES titles are going OOP.

third,"a two pound tin the size of a cigarbox is always limited" you are wrong, many Tins are still in Print, Bands Of Brothers is still one of them.

fourth, i always make fun of ppl who don't buy dvds that 10000% are going to be OOP in 1-2 weeks of the release date.like the Jarhead one or the Munich one because simply they are from Universal and we all know Universal do this.i got them before the release date.

fifth,i know that Heat and 1900 are still around, i was just mentioning that iam pissed that all these cool titles are going OOP at the same time.

sixth, before you reply to someone's post, know who you are talking to,i can't believe this is coming from someone who joined this forum last year.

seventh, FUCK OFF AND DIE.
Old 03-09-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ahahahahaha

= J
Old 03-09-07, 12:39 PM

lol, dude iam not a newbie, i know that 1003939393 go OOP everyday but:

first,The Oldboy set went OOP a month ago and I WAS the one who posted about it in the other Oldboy.sadly, no one replied then.

second,i was just saying that iam pissed that so many MUST-HAVES titles are going OOP.

third,"a two pound tin the size of a cigarbox is always limited" you are wrong, many Tins are still in Print, Bands Of Brothers is still one of them.

fourth, i always make fun of ppl who don't buy dvds that 10000% are going to be OOP in 1-2 weeks of the release date.like the Jarhead one or the Munich one because simply they are from Universal and we all know Universal do this.i got them before the release date.

fifth,i know that Heat and 1900 are still around, i was just mentioning that iam pissed that all these cool titles are going OOP at the same time.

sixth, before you reply to someone's post, know who you are talking to,i can't believe this is coming from someone who joined this forum last year.

Oh yeah. I can't believe I had the nerve to even talk to an old timer from way back in 2004.
Old 03-09-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
ahahahahaha

= J

I know. I giggled when I read this post too.

(because he used the F word. hee hee)

loser
Old 03-09-07, 01:00 PM

I love a good catfight!

I'm a bargain hunter, I very rarely buy any new releases. I can count on my hand the number of times I've bough a DVD in it's first week of release. I only buy something if it's on sale, My collection would be much smaller if I bought things when they were first released. If there is something I gotta have then I'd buy it to make sure I had it before it went OOP, but that has yet to happen.
Old 03-09-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is anyone else amazed that NO ONE had picked Boba Fett as their moniker?!
Old 03-09-07, 01:06 PM

Yes, somewhat surprising.
Old 03-09-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did not know that MASH: Martinis & Medicine box set went OOP. I almost decided to put it off until after Christmas
Old 03-09-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is supposed to be a surprise. That's why they call it "OOPs!"

The MASH set scarcity was surprising, I'm glad I talked myself into getting it for $111 during the DDD sale, even though I haven't watched it yet.

I was happy with my one disc version of Oldboy, so I never considered buying the tin. Now I wish I had, just for the resale value, heh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.