Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sarah Silverman Season Finale !?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Sarah Silverman Season Finale !?

Was very suprised to see a commercial for the season finale of the Sarah Silverman Show to be aired tonight. At first I thought there were only 4 episodes that have aired so far. But according to IMBD, tonight is episode 6. Either way, these "seasons" are getting shorter and shorter. What the hell?
Old 03-07-07, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable series generally have shorter seasons than network shows--usually 13 vs 23 or so. But yeah, 6 is pretty short.

Maybe we're adopting the British series method.
Old 03-07-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just don't think Comedy Central is going to front the money for a bunch of episodes before they know if the show has potential or not.

I'm guessing the 6th episode will be the last we see of this show.
Old 03-07-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I just don't think Comedy Central is going to front the money for a bunch of episodes before they know if the show has potential or not.

I'm guessing the 6th episode will be the last we see of this show.
The series has already been renewed for a 2nd season so it can't be the last we will se of her and the show. I don't know about the other two episodes though.

Just watched Jesus is Magic the other night for the first time. Hillarious.
Old 03-07-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It has already been picked up for a second season. And to note, first seasons are generally half-seasons for cable sitcoms, they test the waters and then commit (and thus don't have time to film new episodes). It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a similarly short 7 episode first season. (And almost equally as short second season of about 10 episodes) Drawn Together had an 8 episode first season.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-07-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

6 episodes? Who the hell do they think are? A BBC series?!
Old 03-07-07, 01:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'd give this show a shot, but Silverman's whole schtick is so filled with negativity about everything under the sun that I cant watch the damn thing
Old 03-07-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I watched 4 episodes and thought I had watched 1 episode. It was amusing, but just the same schtick over and over.
Old 03-07-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight at 10:30 after the new South Park. Looks like Hiro is on it based on the preview I just saw.
Old 03-07-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
It has already been picked up for a second season. And to note, first seasons are generally half-seasons for cable sitcoms, they test the waters and then commit (and thus don't have time to film new episodes).
Yeah, Comedy Central also ordered 10 episodes of Man Bites Dog, 10 eps of Stella, 9 eps of Kid Notorious, 8 eps of That's My Bush!, 8 eps of TV Funhouse, 6 eps of Wanda Does It, and 6 eps for Dr. Katz's first season.

Oddly enough, short episode orders are occurring on the major networks now too. NBC ordered only 6 episodes for the first season of The Office. CBS only ordered 8 eps of Smith initially, although that show probably would've had a longer first season if it hadn't been canceled.
Old 03-07-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

remember back when there were 33-36 episodes a season and the episodes ran 25 mins instead of 21-22 mins. or a hour show was 50 mins unstead of 41-42 mins.
i know these type of channels have shorter seasons but 6 episodes?
its like the BBC Series 'a touch of frost' seasons, 3 or 4 episodes a season. i know there 1 hr, 41 mins but still.
Old 03-07-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmm...I think they made the right move using "Offcer Jay" as the premiere for this series. Tonite's episode had PILOT written all over it - uneven, clunky, no reference to Officer Jay as being Laura's boyfriend.

I did get a hearty laugh out of Sarah eating Bugles, and then getting freaky in bed with Black God.
Old 03-07-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I know these type of channels have shorter seasons but 6 episodes?
Keep in mind that these short seasons are only for the show's first season. If the show gets renewed, it gets a larger season order.

Without ordering a full season upfront, there's really no way for a cable network to renew quick enough to extend the first season. Broadcast networks can do this often since they order more episodes upfront, usually around 13, and renew early into the run so that the show's production hasn't even stopped filming the initial order before the network requests more. The reason broadcast networks can order more shows, and thus have more risk if the show fails, is because they get way more viewers than cable networks get, and thus have bigger pockets. Broadcast networks can survive without showing every episode produced of a given show, most cable companies couldn't afford to just shrug off that much of an investment.

Even then, sometimes the network will pull a show off the air for a few months, meaning the 2nd half of a season could be as split up as two separate cable network seasons.

Oh, I just remembered that the FOX series The Loop, which is coming back for a 2nd season soon, only had a 7 episode first season.
Old 03-07-07, 11:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"Dispatch we have a black male"

"White woman!"

"Oh sorry, force of habit"

This ep was pretty bad for the most part. I don't know if it it's such a good thing when the person the show is named after is consistently the worst part of the show.
Old 03-08-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Hmm...I think they made the right move using "Offcer Jay" as the premiere for this series. Tonite's episode had PILOT written all over it - uneven, clunky, no reference to Officer Jay as being Laura's boyfriend.
But isn't Officer Jay dead now? I mean, Sarah ate him, right?

Originally Posted by MrX
I don't know if it it's such a good thing when the person the show is named after is consistently the worst part of the show.
Speak for yourself, dude. I find her hilarious and super sexy. Even when she was singing about pooping her pants -- which is probably a bad thing.
Old 03-08-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love Sarah and the fact people from Mr Show are in the series, but I'm also having trouble getting into this show. It has moments, but overall its just too much of an extension of her comedy act. Saying stupid things just for shock value.
Old 03-08-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Speak for yourself, dude. I find her hilarious and super sexy.
Ditto.
Although I have to say her legs seemed very chunky compared to the rest of her body when she did the tap-dance routine in that beauty pageant episode.
Old 03-08-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I did get a hearty laugh out of Sarah eating Bugles, and then getting freaky in bed with Black God.
It was the pilot. I can't tell you why on earth it aired last. Another obvious anachronism was in a previously aired episode in which she already knew Black God.
Old 03-08-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Speak for yourself, dude. I find her hilarious and super sexy.
I liked the convenience store clerk’s (Hiro from Heroes) description of her:

“She’s a white female…kind of Jewey, but totally hot…not hot, just cute…long neck…really nice skin…could pass for 20.”
Old 03-08-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It was the pilot. I can't tell you why on earth it aired last. Another obvious anachronism was in a previously aired episode in which she already knew Black God.
Yup, there was also a sequence where Sarah recalled her bad luck with men in last week's episode,which also had the two orange gay dudes bickering over a soft drink.

Old 03-08-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, there was also a sequence where Sarah recalled her bad luck with men in last week's episode,which also had the two orange gay dudes bickering over a soft drink.

The gay dudes alone make the show worth watching. That picture is proof.
Old 03-08-07, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The series has already been renewed for a 2nd season
Great news! I actually enjoyed this show and would love to see more.
Old 03-08-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Part of the reason the pilot aired last may have to do with the fact that Rob Harmon - one of the three series co-creators - was fired after the pilot. This also explains why many of the elements of this episode were radically different.
Old 03-08-07, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Her sister looks and dresses different (low cut shirt, tattoo etc.).
Pretty damn funny episode.
Old 03-09-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know that was the pilot. I actually liked her nosey neighbor and the sad sack friend that was moving.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.