Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buying Region 2 DVDs for the first time

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-07-07, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never purchased a Region 2 DVD and i'm really considering it as I've noticed most (or all) titles have better special features than their Region 1 counterpart. I have no idea how it works though. I live in the U.S. (Colorado). Would I just go to a online store that sells region 2 DVDs and use my Visa - will they automatically convert the currency?

Any favorite places or popular places to purchase region 2 DVDs?

I have a Oppo DV981-HD player.
Old 03-07-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BMan100
I have never purchased a Region 2 DVD and i'm really considering it as I've noticed most (or all) titles have better special features than their Region 1 counterpart. I have no idea how it works though. I live in the U.S. (Colorado). Would I just go to a online store that sells region 2 DVDs and use my Visa - will they automatically convert the currency?

Any favorite places or popular places to purchase region 2 DVDs?

I have a Oppo DV981-HD player.

Try Amazon.co.uk

Yes they convert the currency.
Old 03-07-07, 03:52 AM

It's actually your credit card company that does the conversion (and may charge a small-ish fee - I think mine's 15%) but yes, that's correct. You may run into some region 2 dealers that won't ship outside of Europe (notably play.com), but unfortunately that comes with the territory.

I've successfully ordered from

Cd-wow.com/cd-wow.us
Sendit.com
Amazon.co.uk
Bensonsworld.co.uk
101cd.com
Old 03-07-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely check out amazon.co.uk

I have placed many orders with them, and they have incedibly fast service. In the UK, "vat" (sales tax) is automatically included in the published price of things, and at Amazon it is deducted for items being shipped to the U.S. (Not all places deduct the VAT - check the FAQs on other sites.)
Old 03-07-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might also want to consider shopping region 4 DVDs from Australia as they are less expensive than their R2 counterparts (and the US Dollar is doing better against the Australian Dollar than it is against the pound). Many of the DVDs sold in Australia are formatted for both region 2 and 4, so do a price comparison before your order. I have always gotten great service from EZDVD (and they have some cool exclusive tins, too).
Old 03-07-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taronga
It's actually your credit card company that does the conversion (and may charge a small-ish fee - I think mine's 15%)
If that's true, you're getting hosed. Most are around 3%.
Old 03-08-07, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
If that's true, you're getting hosed. Most are around 3%.
You're right. Mine is 3%. I got confused because last year they sent an error-ridden list of updated rates in which it said the foreign currency transaction fee was $15. I about had a heart attack...
Old 03-10-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel like I was just reading about a credit card that has no conversion fee, but now I can't find it. Any ideas?

All of mine have 3%. Not that I buy international that much, but if the card had some good rewards, I would consider it.
Old 03-10-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The next step is to start watching actual foreign movies that have not had a release in the USA yet. Don't be afraid, reading subtitles can help to reduce the onset of Alzheimer's when you get older.
Old 03-11-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amazon.co.uk is the only place I shop from overseas, and that's because of their awesome customer service when I get a defective disc, and they also remove the VAT (a tax they charge to UK residents).

If you are going to go the region 4 route, I suggest DVDorchard.com.au. Awesome selection, and they don't charge an arm and a leg for overseas shipments the way other Australian stores do (or at least they didn't the last time I ordered from them).
Old 03-11-07, 07:26 AM

I have bought quite a few region 2 dvd from amazon.co.uk....on my amazon visa.

the only strange thing I noticed was in the currency conversion they went from pounds to euros to dollars which pushed the price through two different currency rates
Old 03-11-07, 04:50 PM

blahDVD.com is my favorite source for R2 DVDs. They have free shipping to anywhere in the world (and it's often faster than some places right here in the USA), and typically beat out other UK dealer prices - at least for what I'm looking for, which is mostly classic films.

Their prices change like crazy, though, so if you're a bargain hunter you have to keep tabs on what you want (no wish list feature) and it'll go down in price eventually.