Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Moving advice needed.

BigPete
03-07-07, 01:02 AM
I have very simple questions:

How the hell am I supposed to move all of my computers, LCD monitors, stereo components, home theater, bookshelf stereos, tvs, and dvd players?

How do I pack this stuff in boxes? Do I trust it to the moving company, or take it piecemeal in my own car? This crap amounts for ~40% of the volume of my stuff.

Also, how do I move my mounted posters and art?

RunBandoRun
03-07-07, 10:01 AM
I'd take anything really precious or delicate in my car, but the other stuff you mention can be professionally packed. Especially if they pack it themselves, the movers are responsible if anything happens to your stuff.

melbatoast
03-07-07, 10:24 AM
Yeah, move all that delicate stuff on your own. The insurance doesn't cover the replacement cost if the company breaks it or f's it up while moving it. Also, your HO insurance doesn't cover it while being moved. SOME companies will cover it while in the truck in transition, but not while being carried to and from. It's kind of a fine line there.

Be very clear on the insurance coverage they carry if you choose to have them move this stuff for you. Once you submit a claim, they will nickel and dime you and try to pay you about $6 per pound of the item or something really close to that.

Been there, done that.

danegger
03-07-07, 11:35 AM
When we made our big move a few years ago into our house, I took all my prized possessions myself. TV, Stereo, DVD's, DVD Player, etc. I wasn't about to trust it to anyone. To much money invested.

I also had a buddy last year who used movers and when he got to unpacking and everything, he came across a few things missing. Just be careful 'cause you never know what or who you may be dealing with.

WallyOPD
03-07-07, 12:13 PM
Yeah, move all that delicate stuff on your own. The insurance doesn't cover the replacement cost if the company breaks it or f's it up while moving it. Also, your HO insurance doesn't cover it while being moved. SOME companies will cover it while in the truck in transition, but not while being carried to and from. It's kind of a fine line there.

Be very clear on the insurance coverage they carry if you choose to have them move this stuff for you. Once you submit a claim, they will nickel and dime you and try to pay you about $6 per pound of the item or something really close to that.

Been there, done that.

The standard insurance moving companies carry is only $.60 per pound. I would definitely spring for more.

melbatoast
03-07-07, 03:28 PM
The standard insurance moving companies carry is only $.60 per pound. I would definitely spring for more.

Oh, 6 CENTS per pound. I thought it was $6. That's even more reason not to use them to move the breakable, valuable stuff!

We moved 3 months ago. We had to file a claim because they tore my umbrella awning thingy to a pretty pricey lawn swing. They refused to pay it because it doesn't exceed their required $500 minumum claim. Then they took it upon themselves to calculate the cost of it to be like $10 or something like that.

Bastards I tell ya!