DVD Talk
Converting 1 1/2 Car Garage Into A Bedroom. Would That Increase Property Value? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Converting 1 1/2 Car Garage Into A Bedroom. Would That Increase Property Value?

vegasbaby
03-06-07, 03:14 PM
Giving some thought about converting a nice size garage into another bedroom.

When it comes to selling, would that increase property value or would buyers look negatively that there's no inside garage?

BTW : There's a 2 car driveway ...

AGuyNamedMike
03-06-07, 03:25 PM
I don't know much about property values, but I'd much rather have a garage/workshop than another bedroom.

twikoff
03-06-07, 03:27 PM
yep
its like adding a pool
to some it increases, to others it decreases

although... i dont guess thats property value as much as sellability

X
03-06-07, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I think this is one of those that totally depends on the buyer.

If you only had one bedroom, I'd say convert it. But I don't think it's worth the cost and potential negative to buyers to convert a garage that some buyers may want.

melbatoast
03-06-07, 03:35 PM
You should call a local Realtor ans ask them. I would think it'd be different for each area. But if you did convert it, you'd add that square footage to your insurance, which would make your premium go up a bit.

kvrdave
03-06-07, 04:29 PM
It adds value and decreases saleability. How's that for a fine HOWDOYOUDO?

jeffkjoe
03-06-07, 04:33 PM
Most people are looking for a garage. Believe me, a co-worker converted his 2 car garage to a fifth bedroom and now he can't sell his house b/c all the buyers want a garage.

DVD Josh
03-06-07, 05:00 PM
When I was looking for houses, this guy turned his garage into a home gym with a hot tub, sauna, tanning bed, plasma, and speakers. It was like some man room out of a dream. What's more, everything in it was included - free weights, eliptical, nautilus machines. Everything was bit older but in good shape.

Of course, it was about 100k out of our price range, and the guy was having trouble selling it (I have no idea why, unless every wife reacted like my wife and said absolutely fucking not, which is possible).

pinata242
03-06-07, 05:10 PM
My wife would never hear of not using our garage for its intended purpose: keeping cars clean, warm, and dry. If we had any sort of extra crap to store, we'd rent a storage unit and eat the cost rather than park either of our cars outside. You'd be better off adding a bedroom to the structure than losing the garage.

CinemaNut
03-06-07, 05:13 PM
If ya do this w/o a zoning permit you better not plan on selling EVER. And mostly it will decrease value.

RunBandoRun
03-06-07, 05:18 PM
My ex and I lived across the street from a guy whose wife bitched and whined and moaned until he did their one-car garage over as a dining room (these were really small, 1000-sq-ft slab foundation early 50s houses). He poured this monster asphalt driveway that held five cars to try and make up for it, but after he and his wife both died, their kids had a hell of a time trying to sell that house.

Unless your house only has one bedroom -- and even then -- I would think long and hard about losing the garage.

Ranger
03-06-07, 05:20 PM
You should call a local Realtor ans ask them. I would think it'd be different for each area. But if you did convert it, you'd add that square footage to your insurance, which would make your premium go up a bit.
That is a good tip.

Personally, I would not convert it. I think in most cases, people really do prefer a garage over a bedroom.

Nick Danger
03-06-07, 05:33 PM
When I was house hunting, I refused to buy a house without a garage. I probably wasn't the only one, because 2000 sq ft houses without garages were priced in the same range as 1500 sq ft houses with garages.

vegasbaby
03-06-07, 05:45 PM
I guess I will keep my garage intact. thanks for the input.

kvrdave
03-06-07, 05:55 PM
If ya do this w/o a zoning permit you better not plan on selling EVER. And mostly it will decrease value.

Do you mean building permit?

DVD Josh
03-06-07, 06:00 PM
My ex and I lived across the street from a guy whose wife bitched and whined and moaned until he did their one-car garage over as a dining room (these were really small, 1000-sq-ft slab foundation early 50s houses). He poured this monster asphalt driveway that held five cars to try and make up for it, but after he and his wife both died, their kids had a hell of a time trying to sell that house.

Unless your house only has one bedroom -- and even then -- I would think long and hard about losing the garage.

See, if this was me, I'd simply retrofit the thing into a heated / cooled garage.

melbatoast
03-06-07, 06:37 PM
Just make your wife sleep in the garage and call it a bedroom.

al_bundy
03-06-07, 06:39 PM
since this is NYC, it's a great way to house an illegal renter and make some cash

CinemaNut
03-06-07, 07:11 PM
Do you mean building permit?

Both - If the house is zoned on record at city hall as having a garage, (or non living area it must remain a garage or be changed no more than into a carport, etc but not something to inhabit - unless the zoning ordinances where he lives are highly flexible - but in urban areas they arent

cultshock
03-06-07, 07:16 PM
If we had bought a house with a garage, I would have been really tempted to turn it into a kickass home theatre, regardless of how it would affect the house value. :) (anyway, it's not like someone buying the place couldn't turn it back into a garage if they wanted to, it would just be a bit of a PITA)

kvrdave
03-06-07, 07:18 PM
Both - If the house is zoned on record at city hall as having a garage, (or non living area it must remain a garage or be changed no more than into a carport, etc but not something to inhabit - unless the zoning ordinances where he lives are highly flexible - but in urban areas they arent

Huh. Glad to be in a rural area, I suppose. :lol:

The Bus
03-06-07, 08:34 PM
Cars, like pets and children, are meant to live outside.

Ranger
03-06-07, 08:37 PM
See, if this was me, I'd simply retrofit the thing into a heated / cooled garage.
I wouldn't do that either - could bump up that electric bill quite a bit.

DVD Polizei
03-06-07, 09:04 PM
It increases the White Trash Value. :up:

Goldberg74
03-06-07, 09:12 PM
When we moved into our house 5 years ago, the neighbors had a garage that was converted into a bedroom, and it was the only one on the street (out of 40 homes). They had crappy cars sitting in the driveway and it was an eyesore (for a bit they had a tent trailer that their teen was staying in.

When they left (it was foreclosed, really rare in our neighborhood), the new owners pulled the front wall out, put a garage door back in and increased the value (and exterior view) of the home.

We liked the change.

Sonicflood
03-06-07, 09:25 PM
What a timely thread!

I just had this discussion with an appraiser today. He stated that unless you have a two bedroom or less home, don't do it as it negatively affects the property value. He also stated that if the majority of other homes in your neighborhood have a garage and you enclose yours, it's considered a negative.

In addition to being a real estate broker, I perform property valuation opinions for many lenders and have fun discussions/questions like this all the time.

I have a valuation to perform on a home that is going into foreclosure and the lender needs to know what it's worth. It has an enclosed garage and is in need of some major TLC.

DVD Polizei
03-06-07, 09:28 PM
There could be local "Homeowners Association" community guidelines too.