DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : American Idol -- Top 16 Boys Edition -- 03/06/07

LorenzoL
03-06-07, 06:28 AM
The top 8 male contestants perform. Two more male performers will be eliminated on Thursday night.

Please keep any of the Dialidol.com or votefortheworst.com results with spoilers tags.

tommyp007
03-06-07, 01:09 PM
No doubt Sanjay will suck the worst, but I'll go with Phil getting the fewest votes.

Groucho
03-06-07, 01:15 PM
votefortheworst.com has early results?

clckworang
03-06-07, 04:04 PM
Can't believe Sanjaya is still in this ...

SexualPudding
03-06-07, 05:26 PM
I think Jared will be in big trouble, unless he completely wows. Sanjaya should be a no brainer, but we know that probably won't happen.

TimeandTide
03-06-07, 05:39 PM
Hoping Sanjaya gets the boot, but it will probably be Jared.

superdeluxe
03-06-07, 07:14 PM
Actually pulling for Sanjaya to pull it off. More talented singers have gone before him. He needs to show that its not all a joke.

and he is from my home state, so I am pulling for him.

And no, I havent been back to that hooters yet. I will soon, pictures for everyone (His sister)

aktick
03-06-07, 08:14 PM
Randy and Paula didn't know the song Blake sang? :wtf:

aktick
03-06-07, 08:20 PM
Thought Blake was good, entertaining.

Sanjaya is a good singer, but damn is he annoying to look at and he's just a weird kid.

Glad the spikes are gone from Sundance. :lol: He was just ok.

DJariya
03-06-07, 08:51 PM
The guys stink tonight so far :thmbsdwn:

BlackCapTen
03-06-07, 09:04 PM

I know, I said to my wife this is the only song that's been on AI that I actually knew... Haha. I knew his song last week as well.

Goldberg74
03-06-07, 09:07 PM
:wave: to Jared and Brandon this week... but I'd take Brandon over Sanjaya anyday, but folks will vote for Sanjaya.

Septemberbaby
03-06-07, 09:12 PM
Where's the option to send them all home? Not impressed at all with any of them.

Daytripper
03-06-07, 09:14 PM
Sanjaya is a good singer, but damn is he annoying to look at and he's just a weird kid.

Huh!? He sucks as a singer AND he's annoying to look at. Dear God, or I should say, U.S. Tweens, please don't vote for him. Again. Simon was spot on with his remarks.

onebyone
03-06-07, 09:20 PM
I liked Blake and Chris Sligh, but not all that much. What a dull bunch the guys are. As long as it isn't Blake, I don't really care who goes tomorrow.

Jadzia
03-06-07, 09:22 PM
What was with all the judges giving Sundance head? He was downright awful, worse than karaoke. I also thought Chris Richardson sounded bad, like he got kicked in the balls. And what the hell is with Phil Stacey? He sounded like Cher in the beginning.

The only guys I really like are Blake and Jared. I can't believe the judges would critique Jared after that out of tune performance by Sundance.

aktick
03-06-07, 09:22 PM
Huh!? He sucks as a singer AND he's annoying to look at. Dear God, or I should say, U.S. Tweens, please don't vote for him. Again. Simon was spot on with his remarks.
I meant I think he has a decent voice - but he's a terrible entertainer, he's best suited in a chorus or something where he's not at the front.

Septemberbaby
03-06-07, 09:37 PM
Sunjaya is a nice kid. He's 17 yrs old. He's polite, adorable, sweet.. but he's not strong enough for this competition. Maybe in a few years he'll be older, more mature and his voice will be stronger. But for now.. he needs to go. I don't want to see this kid get bashed every week by anyone... and if he stays, that's exactly what's going to happen. John Stevens was the victim a couple of years ago.. in the end it wasn't pretty.. there were even death threats. Not cool.
This kid needs to go home.

Deftones
03-06-07, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I've gotta say, it's not like he picked an obscure 311 song. That was probably their biggest hit. I guess if it's not Beyonce or if Randy didn't work with them, they don't know it.

magiccmom
03-06-07, 10:05 PM
I liked Blake and Chris Sligh, but not all that much. What a dull bunch the guys are. As long as it isn't Blake, I don't really care who goes tomorrow.
I agree. I always look forward to Blake because he PERFORMS. He may not be the best singer, but he sure is entertaining. I think Jared will go, Sinjayah should go, but due to backlash he will stay, and either Phil or Brandon will go home. The guys don't know how to leave it all on the stage. I miss the Chris Daughtery performances. Even Taylor performed and left it all out there. The guys are just weak this year.

RichC2
03-06-07, 10:06 PM
Not a single one of these guys should be on this show, though Blake was entertaining.

GuessWho
03-06-07, 10:41 PM
That was probably their biggest hit. 5th biggest hit according to billboard's modern rock chart...

1996 Down Modern Rock Tracks #1
2004 Love Song Modern Rock Tracks #1
2005 Don't Tread On Me Modern Rock Tracks #2
2003 Creatures (For a While) Modern Rock Tracks #3
1996 All Mixed Up Modern Rock Tracks #4

And it didn't even chart on the mainstream rock chart (several others did)

allmusic.com

Patman
03-06-07, 11:40 PM
None of these guys seem to really want it this season, pretty much a mediocre collection of these last remaining 8 guys.

Blake continues with iffy beat-box-hip-hoppism, just stand there and show me you got a voice (because on the radio, no one can see what your doing with your gestures and movements).

Sanjaya is the trainwreck of AI 2007. Can't stand to look away at what inexperienced misstep he'll do on the latest episode of AI.

Sundance continues on with the screamfest that is becoming his signature vocal stylings. I don't think I could listen to him on the radio for any length of time nowadays.

Chris R was not all that interesting with the safe song choice. He sounded whiney as hell on that song.

Jared was okay, but lacks the soulfullness of Stevie to really pull off that song. The prep boy look didn't do him any favors, either.

Brandon is boring.

Phil has an unsteady bottom register, and no upper registers (he just tries singing louder, not higher).

Chris S was a bit on the dull side with the performance, plus the song wasn't all that interesting to listen to. He needs to stop singing obscure songs he likes, and find more melodic songs to sing.

Deftones
03-06-07, 11:41 PM
5th biggest hit according to billboard's modern rock chart...

1996 Down Modern Rock Tracks #1
2004 Love Song Modern Rock Tracks #1
2005 Don't Tread On Me Modern Rock Tracks #2
2003 Creatures (For a While) Modern Rock Tracks #3
1996 All Mixed Up Modern Rock Tracks #4

And it didn't even chart on the mainstream rock chart (several others did)

allmusic.com

Why the fuck you would look that up to prove me wrong makes me :lol:

Patman
03-06-07, 11:43 PM
What was with all the judges giving Sundance head?

Bad Jad, Bad Jad! :D

calhoun07
03-06-07, 11:55 PM
Chris Richardson is just absolutely forgettable. I also am gunning for Phil Stacey to get voted off.

Sanjaya looks like the popular favorite here to hate, but I think he's better than Richardson. Richardson is just blah.

brainee
03-06-07, 11:56 PM
What was with all the judges giving Sundance head? He was downright awful, worse than karaoke. I also thought Chris Richardson sounded bad, like he got kicked in the balls. And what the hell is with Phil Stacey? He sounded like Cher in the beginning.

Those were 3 spectacularly crappy performances. Sundance must've made votefortheworst proud ... maybe he heard they were thinking of switching to Sanjaya, and really turned it up a notch this week? Don't get the Chris R love at all. He sounds awful. And Phil ... that was as bad an AI performance in viewer voting round as I've seen. Low range sucked, high range sucked. He's at his best when not singing at all.

TimeandTide
03-07-07, 12:31 AM
I mentioned up-thread that I thought Cotter would be the next to go. I'm probably right, but I actually thought his performance was the least awful of the night.

Big props to Blake though for singing a 311 song. No surprise that none of the judges recognized it. His was my second favorite.

The rest? SUCKED.

Heat
03-07-07, 12:36 AM
I had never heard of that 311 song but it was nice, Blake has potential.

I ended up giving Phil Stacey 50 votes and Blake 25 votes. There were no busy signals.

With regard to Sundance, I see potential in him but he just hasn't been bringing it out. He reminds me somewhat of a young Meatloaf.

Big Quasimodo
03-07-07, 12:41 AM
Sanjaya and Jared were the worst performers. Sanjaya vocally and Jared onstage.

Sundance's hair and makeup looked terrible. Oy.

I would like to see the 6 be minus Sanjaya and Jared. That would make me happy.

atlantamoi
03-07-07, 07:22 AM
God, what a horrible show. This is easily the worst group of guys I've heard since this show started. Curly-haired guy is okay (sorry, I'm so put off I don't know all their names), but the others are totally worthless. I am enjoying the girls, though. I'm not really a Pearl Jam fan and watching Sundance butcher that song was eye-poppingly bad. Good lord, wake me when this show is down to six women.

starman9000
03-07-07, 08:02 AM
I'm not really a Pearl Jam fan and watching Sundance butcher that song was eye-poppingly bad.

I like how he used the "have you ever heard the original" argument to defend his crappy rendition.

TomOpus
03-07-07, 08:05 AM
The guys don't seem to have any consistency. One week they're bad, one week they're decent, now they're bad again.

At least half the women are consistently good/great. Unless something weird happens, there's no way a guy will win this year.

big whoppa
03-07-07, 08:40 AM
Another night of mediocrity with the boys. But by far worst was baldy. He totally ruined that LeAnn Rimes song. And with and without hair, that guy doesn't look right. He looks like Boy George.

First guy sounded like Snow and "Informer".....lickie boom boom down.

The Justin Timberlake sound-alike/look-alike will probably make it the furthest.

mphtrilogy
03-07-07, 09:08 AM
These guys are limping in, they defintely need the merge, I cannot take another week of these guys, they really stink.

superdeluxe
03-07-07, 10:12 AM
God, what a horrible show. This is easily the worst group of guys I've heard since this show started.

Season 3?

Kocheese99
03-07-07, 10:21 AM
My favorites for the guys are the two chris's and Blake. They seem to have the best overall talent for the guys. Blake because he brings something completely different than everyone else. Chris R because he seems to have the best vocal range, as he can do the hip hop/punk thing and he can do country as well. Chris S. because he has the best pure sound of the group.

I'd like to add that dialidol sucks ass. No wonder they can claim 87% accuracy when you have all 8 guys listed for the bottom 3. Way to go out on a limb guys.

EDIT: I didn' spoiler that dialidol crap because it doesn't reveal a damn thing. If i ruined it for anyone sorry.

Daytripper
03-07-07, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I've gotta say, it's not like he picked an obscure 311 song. That was probably their biggest hit. I guess if it's not Beyonce or if Randy didn't work with them, they don't know it.

Yeah. Keane they knew, but not 311 !??

dadaluholla
03-07-07, 10:56 AM
With all the stupid beepityboop beat box scratching noises that idiot was making, I barely could tell it was a 311 song either. That, combined with the strange hillbilly type character that he displayed in the segment before he did his song, makes him one of my most hated Idol contestents for this season.

Simon was being WAY too nice saying 3 1/2 deserve to go through to the final 12.

starman9000
03-07-07, 11:00 AM
First guy sounded like Snow and "Informer".....lickie boom boom down.

Thats what I said last night too. I think they were way too nice to his performance, seems like they basically didn't know what to say.

aktick
03-07-07, 11:12 AM
Thats what I said last night too. I think they were way too nice to his performance, seems like they basically didn't know what to say.
Meh, he was the only one that I found entertaining. The rest were all boring as hell.

Jadzia
03-07-07, 11:27 AM
Using DialIdol isn't even fun this year. I don't know if it is the area I live in or what, but I use it for the 2 hours to vote and all I get are busy gignals. I have not been able to register even one vote for the guys! On girls nights I can only get maybe 1 or 2 votes in.

In previous seasons I was able to get many more votes cast. Does anyone else have this problem? My modem is dialing fine, I can hear the dial tone, etc. Just constant busy signals all the time. Very strange, especially since I am voting for some the least popular candidates (like Jared.) I mean, why wasn't I able to get even 1 vote in for him? That doesn't seem right.

zebop
03-07-07, 11:30 AM
These guys make Justin Guarini look like Al Green. They are all dreadful...

starman9000
03-07-07, 11:55 AM
Meh, he was the only one that I found entertaining. The rest were all boring as hell.

The rest were definately boring, but I still didn't like his performance. I was shocked that Randy didn't point out how "pitchy" he was.

DVD Josh
03-07-07, 11:58 AM
I will echo some of the sentiments here - as a whole, this group is awful. Blake was not bad, but honestly, I'm tired of the hip-hop act. He should really try and mix it up a bit. And I was shocked that people haven't heard that 311 song before, it was HUGE when it was a single. I was a fan of Sundance until he butchered one of my favorite songs of all time. He took all of the emotion and power out of the song. Fucking fatass.

I think that Jarred and Sanjaya go home. I think Phil will round out the bottom three and has almost an equal chance of leaving.

aktick
03-07-07, 12:06 PM
I'm tired of the hip-hop act. He should really try and mix it up a bit.
Well he did do, what, Keane? That was a solid performance. But I think this is who he is.

zebop
03-07-07, 12:08 PM
Even I have heard that 311 song and I basically just listen to R&B/jazz from the '70s and '80s. Is Randy crazy? I did like him talking about Jamiroquai, thanks Randy, I've only heard their stuff for 15 years..., like everyone else...

danegger
03-07-07, 12:10 PM
Blake, Chris R, and Chris S are the three boys that will make it the furthest in my opinion. Last week, I think Chris Richardson cemented his spot in the top 12. He was really good. He didnt' do so bad last night. He's my favorite guy of the bunch, followed by Blake and Chris S.

My vote to leave is Sanjaya and Brandon. Brandon hasn't done much of anything since his audition. Sanjaya shouldn't be here in the first place.

DRG
03-07-07, 12:11 PM
Mostly a bland show. Blake is really the only memorable one here. His actual singing last night could have used some work, but at least he was entertaining.

Sanjaya was better than the past two weeks but still dull. Sundance was very karaoke hard rock, IMO... inserting a growl into your vocals doesn't cover up the otherwise weak whiny singing. I can't believe the praise Chris R. got for his mellow country.

Jared is a good singer, but I hate when they do Stevie songs. IMO most Stevie Wonder songs just sound corny when done by anyone other than Stevie himself. With the sweater thing I couldn't help but think of Don "No Soul" Simmons from the movie "Amazon Women on the Moon".

Phil was a train wreck. I thought that was painful to listen to, worst of the night. Brandon had energy and is far from the worst singer, but I fear he hasn't done enough to endure himself to the audience. Chris Sligh isn't bad, but he isn't great either. If he didn't have a unique look/personality he would disappear. I can't remember one thing he's sang.

Shannon Nutt
03-07-07, 12:16 PM
Sundance's hair and makeup looked terrible. Oy.

Separated at birth?

http://www.curlio.com/pictures/AI2007_03_06_03_sundance.jpghttp://www.teako170.com/shame8.gif

hahn
03-07-07, 12:18 PM
Was at work late so I didn't see it. And I didn't miss it! I usually like American Idol. Last season was particularly good with Daughtry, McPhee, and Hicks. This season just blows. I honestly can't see any of them deserving the title.

You know what I WISH the show would do? I wish they would bring back a few of the contestants that they booted that were actually good. Like Tommy Daniels and Marisa Rhodes. Stick them in as wild cards and see how long they last.

magiccmom
03-07-07, 12:19 PM
Chris Sligh isn't bad, but he isn't great either. If he didn't have a unique look/personality he would disappear. I can't remember one thing he's sang.
I actually loved his rendition of "Trouble". It made me really interested in the song, and even after hearing the original artist, I still liked the way Chris Sligh sang it.

Jadzia
03-07-07, 12:20 PM
You know what I WISH the show would do? I wish they would bring back a few of the contestants that they booted that were actually good. Like Tommy Daniels and Marisa Rhodes. Stick them in as wild cards and see how long they last.

:up:

I thik they cut many of the good people in Hollywood and left us with this lame-o group.

The judges have tin ears this year.

Quake1028
03-07-07, 12:21 PM
What was with all the judges giving Sundance head?

For whatever reason, he has been the judge's darling this year. He hasn't had a good performance since his audition, and anyone with any objectivity knows he should have been gone on the first day (and second, and third) of Hollywood week.

Daytripper
03-07-07, 12:24 PM
Separated at birth?

http://www.curlio.com/pictures/AI2007_03_06_03_sundance.jpghttp://www.teako170.com/shame8.gif

People here said Kimberly Locke and the Heat Meiser were twins a few years ago.

brainee
03-07-07, 12:45 PM
Jared is a good singer, but I hate when they do Stevie songs. IMO most Stevie Wonder songs just sound corny when done by anyone other than Stevie himself. With the sweater thing I couldn't help but think of Don "No Soul" Simmons from the movie "Amazon Women on the Moon".

I thought of Carlton from "Fresh Prince":

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/28/180px-Carlton_lg.jpg

Bugg
03-07-07, 12:46 PM
The guys stink! Send 'em all home.

This is what happens when the judges shitcan people who can actually sing in the Hollywood rounds, because they are not "unique" enough. Half of these guys sucked just as bad in Hollywood but got pushed through based on their auditions. :thmbsdwn:

Patman
03-07-07, 01:00 PM
Brandon should do covers of that dude who does alot of covers, Lenny Kravitz.

DJariya
03-07-07, 01:12 PM
Not a single guy even remotely entertained me last night. I would say I was moderately entertained by Chris Sligh, but everyone else blew big time. Even Blake sounded off key singing that 311 song.

Hopefully the girls will bring it on tonight.

Septemberbaby
03-07-07, 01:23 PM
Anyone wanna take a stab at what the big announcement is on Thursday?
Some are saying that there aren't going to be 6 girls and 6 guys.. just the top 12 vote getters.
Thoughts?

Groucho
03-07-07, 01:34 PM
From the wording, it sounded like the announcement had nothing to do with gameplay. Probably some stupid thing like "The American Idol All-Stars Tour".

dadaluholla
03-07-07, 01:38 PM
I figured the announcement was going to be that song writing contest, but maybe they had already mentioned it.

mdc3000
03-07-07, 01:42 PM
I thought the big Thursday announcement will be that Michael Jackson is going to be a guest judge this season.

Septemberbaby
03-07-07, 01:48 PM
I thought the big Thursday announcement will be that Michael Jackson is going to be a guest judge this season.

Haven't you noticed? He's already one of the contestants!!
Pay Attention! ;)

I think the song writing thing was already announced.
It's probably something very small and won't be a big deal.. I was just reading some of the responses on the Idol forum and many feel the top 12 vote getter thing is what it's going to turn out to be. :shrug:

I did hear that the Idol summer camp thing that's starting up this summer is somewhere in the 30K range. Don't know how long it runs or even where it's being held.

dadaluholla
03-07-07, 02:16 PM
I would hope they go the top twelve highest voted route instead of the 6 boys/6 girls. I would love to see the looks on some of the guys faces when the majority of them get sent home.

rkndkn
03-07-07, 02:20 PM
I can't believe how poorly the men choose their songs.

Brandon and Phil will probably go home. Sundance deserves to, but he seems popular for some reason.

There's no way Sanjaya is going home after straightening his hair. ;)

zebop
03-07-07, 02:27 PM

I hope Sanjaya's gone by then...

Shannon Nutt
03-07-07, 03:34 PM
Anyone wanna take a stab at what the big announcement is on Thursday?
Some are saying that there aren't going to be 6 girls and 6 guys.. just the top 12 vote getters.
Thoughts?

If it's not the song-writing contest, it might be that there's going to be a Top 13, and America gets to vote on who they want to come back.

But I'm going to say the "surprise" is probably that Paul McCartney has agreed to do a show. An even bigger "surprise" would be if he's agreed to perform with Ringo Starr.

Gunde
03-07-07, 03:50 PM
If it's not the song-writing contest, it might be that there's going to be a Top 13, and America gets to vote on who they want to come back.
Exactly.

They should just bring Marisa back and be done with it.

superdeluxe
03-07-07, 04:36 PM
I'm enjoying everyone flipping out about sanjaya.

magiccmom
03-07-07, 04:40 PM
I think they are gonna take the top vote getters. That's why they asked the judges how many guys they think should be going on...and you got the answer of 4.

magiccmom
03-07-07, 04:51 PM
Of course I think we are all going to be surprised who the top voter getters might be!

DRG
03-07-07, 05:10 PM
Of course, the top vote getter thing might not work if the audience is not in on it. Unless there's an overall voter apathy for the male vote getters, people are currently voting for members of each group in comparison to others in that same group. Meaning someone may vote for, say, Blake nonstop just because they feel he is the best of that group. But maybe there are 4 or 5 girls tonight they feel are better than Blake. Regardless, when the girls come up they won't have voted for each of those 4 or 5 girls more times than they voted for Blake the night before. At worst the plan could backfire completely if the 2 or 3 top girls syphon the votes from the other girls and the guys have a more balanced voting base.

magiccmom
03-07-07, 05:19 PM
Of course, the top vote getter thing might not work if the audience is not in on it. Unless there's an overall voter apathy for the male vote getters, people are currently voting for members of each group in comparison to others in that same group. Meaning someone may vote for, say, Blake nonstop just because they feel he is the best of that group. But maybe there are 4 or 5 girls tonight they feel are better than Blake. Regardless, when the girls come up they won't have voted for each of those 4 or 5 girls more times than they voted for Blake the night before. At worst the plan could backfire completely if the 2 or 3 top girls syphon the votes from the other girls and the guys have a more balanced voting base.
aha, very true....especially since the field of girls are much stronger than the field of guys which is especially weak. The top girls are getting their votes split, so in recognition of that, I'm hoping that is not the case about the top vote getters because it wouldnt be right in light of that. Very good point DRG!

Jadzia
03-07-07, 08:20 PM
Phil Stacey:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3c/Batchild.jpg/200px-Batchild.jpg

Patman
03-07-07, 08:24 PM
More Phil:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-08/23/xin_24080123073583597013.jpg