Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wild Hogs - review thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-02-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wild Hogs

I went to see Wild Hogs tonight. I sound defensive because it's pretty obvious this film isn't highly regarded here (as this the first post ). Well, it's not the comedy of the year but it's not deserving of its 15% Rotten Tomato rating either. It has a lot more laughs than you might expect although none of them are especially wildly original. There I go being apologetic again.

Sometimes you just want to spend $10 to turn your brain off for two hours. Wild Hogs handles this beautifully without leaving an insipid taste in your mouth. The story's been done before, and at times the movie works on a level that recalls the great comedies of the 80's which honestly weren't much more original either. None of the main stars could really carry a comedy by themselves (ok, Macy has) but as a mixture there's enough flavor in there to make it appetizing. Tim Allen plays himself, as does Martin Lawrence, and Travolta comes close to channelling Val Kilmer. (Maybe it's the wind-swept hair).

I liked a lot of the appearances by:
Spoiler:

Stephen Tobolowsky as a town sheriff
Kyle Gass as a chili cook-off entertainer
M.C. Gainey ("Mr. Friendly" from Lost)
Paul Sr. & Paul Jr. from OCC
John McGinley as the gay highway cop
Drew Pinsky as... a doctor
Ty Pennington
Spoiler:

Peter Fonda as the head of the biker gang

Not as funny as Reno 911!: Miami but I've seen a lot worse. B-
Old 03-02-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,161 Likes on 2,037 Posts
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this. I watched the trailer multiple times cause it made me laugh! I might not get around to seeing it in the theater but I'll definitely give it a rent when it comes out.

Any comdey that DOESN'T star: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, John Heder, Adam Sandler, or Rob Schneider is certainly welcome to me.
Old 03-03-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Not as funny as Reno 911!: Miami but I've seen a lot worse. B-
Haha. How flattering.

I'll see this is my family wants to go see it or something. But otherwise I'll probably catch it on cable sometime.

You know, Tim Allen doesn't get too much credit. But I like all of his movies. I always have a good time when I watch them. They're mildly passive and forgettable. Not the kind of stuff I revisit a lot. But if you look at his filmography, you can tell that he works pretty hard at finding the right stuff. He just doesn't get too much credit because he doesn't do big budget or hard hitting material.
Old 03-03-07, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Haha. How flattering.

I'll see this is my family wants to go see it or something. But otherwise I'll probably catch it on cable sometime.

You know, Tim Allen doesn't get too much credit. But I like all of his movies. I always have a good time when I watch them. They're mildly passive and forgettable. Not the kind of stuff I revisit a lot. But if you look at his filmography, you can tell that he works pretty hard at finding the right stuff. He just doesn't get too much credit because he doesn't do big budget or hard hitting material.
I agree. Galaxy Quest still stands out in the long list of movies he's done since then, though.
Old 03-03-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was OK, I'm wondering why Ray Liotta isn't getting much mention. He has a decent sized role.

The funniest part of the movie was Kyle Gass singing his songs.
Old 03-03-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My in-laws took the wife and I to see the movie. Previously I had zero interest in it, I hate my in-laws company and yet I still enjoyed the film a good bit.
Old 03-09-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too would much rather see this movie than spend time with my in-laws. Saw this yesterday and found it quite entertaining. Several laugh out loud scenes. Not the funniest movie ever but certainly worth spending a couple hours at the show.

Last edited by JimRochester; 03-09-07 at 11:46 AM.