Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDPlanet banned me

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDPlanet banned me

Old 03-01-07, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good

All is well, and am able to order again. Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately, this might be the only way to get a response. I've sent several emails about the B1G1 issue and have been ignored.

The below is what I most recently sent to Mark Harill regarding an order I placed on Tuesday.

You've never got back to me about my issue. I'd
like to know what is going on.

I just placed an order with you and used 1000 frequent
buyer points. Right there is indicative of the amount
of $$ I've spent at your company.
I got an email that the order was canceled, so I
called support. They said I am not allowed to order
anything from you anymore...

I know this stems from the whole snafu with the
Buy1Get1 glitch that your site had. As far as I knew,
we were square with that. I explained the situation,
but you never replied. You guys owed me a DVD set, and
I owed you one. To me, that cancels out and we are
even.
I thought it was obvious that I was not exploiting
you, since you said others were ordering 20+ dvds, and
I got one extra from a string of 10+ orders(which were
placed in quick succession, so any manifestation of a
glitch was not noticed - and i'm sure you can verify
the timestamps.)

Bottom line, if you don't want my business - which was
enough to earn 1135 points - thats fine, ill go
elsewhere.
But i want to place this last order so i can use my
1000 points since I rightfully earned them.
My order number is #xxxxxx or #xxxxxxxx (they differ
between the website and email i got).

Thanks in advance for your response.

The B1G1 snafu is illustrated here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488444. Basically what it came down to is I got an extra Stargate Season, and they supposedly sent the same set to me on 12/20. I let Mark know that i would "return to shipper" once it arrived. I never got a response back from that and I also never got the package.
I then received ANOTHER loss prevention letter and wrote back again. No response as before.
Considering there is a thread called DVDPlanet sucks! right under here, It's hard to think this lack of service is a precedent.

Last edited by Pookymeister; 03-15-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say they'd keep ignoring you.
Old 03-02-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's usually not a good idea to tell a company that you hate them and will never do business with them again... then ask them to do something for you.
Old 03-02-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gee, I don't see Pooky saying that he hates them, just that if he's been banned then he (obviously) won't shop there, but that he wants what he was promised.

I haven't looked at the terms of the points agreement since they were still digitaleyes, but I don't recall them being something the vendor could just cancel as they saw fit.
Old 03-02-07, 08:22 AM

I don't know all the particulars of the situation, so I can't comment on whether DVD Planet was justified in closing your account or not. That's for them to decide. But as someone who works in Loss Prevention for another retailer, I can say that e-mail will probably get you nowhere.

If I've made a determination to close an account, that's usually the end of it (unless some new information comes into play that totally changes the situation). An account is either open or closed... there's no in-between. I hear customers all day who want to bargain with me: "Why don't we call it even"... "Please let me make just one more order"... Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

And let's say I've already decided to close a customer's account. If they now threaten never to do business with us ever again, first of all, that's a moot point, because WE have already decided to stop doing business with that person. Second, we sort of welcome it, because we know they're going to leave us alone, rather than calling all day trying in vain to get the account reopened.

I'm not trying to pick on the OP. Like I said, I don't really know anything about your situation, and the merchant could be totally wrong for closing your account. Just trying to give some perspective on why they'll probably read your e-mail and tell you to suck it.
Old 03-04-07, 12:59 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by StealthStratos
I don't know all the particulars of the situation, so I can't comment on whether DVD Planet was justified in closing your account or not. That's for them to decide. But as someone who works in Loss Prevention for another retailer, I can say that e-mail will probably get you nowhere.

If I've made a determination to close an account, that's usually the end of it (unless some new information comes into play that totally changes the situation). An account is either open or closed... there's no in-between. I hear customers all day who want to bargain with me: "Why don't we call it even"... "Please let me make just one more order"... Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

And let's say I've already decided to close a customer's account. If they now threaten never to do business with us ever again, first of all, that's a moot point, because WE have already decided to stop doing business with that person. Second, we sort of welcome it, because we know they're going to leave us alone, rather than calling all day trying in vain to get the account reopened.

I'm not trying to pick on the OP. Like I said, I don't really know anything about your situation, and the merchant could be totally wrong for closing your account. Just trying to give some perspective on why they'll probably read your e-mail and tell you to suck it.
Of course just because YOU decide someone cannot do business with YOUR company, it does not mean it is legal. You have to have a valid reason. And do not even try to say you do not, as the person could then say they are refused of age, sex, race, etc.
Old 03-04-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marylandjoe03
Of course just because YOU decide someone cannot do business with YOUR company, it does not mean it is legal. You have to have a valid reason. And do not even try to say you do not, as the person could then say they are refused of age, sex, race, etc.
He says that he works for "loss prevention" so the assumption is that some sort of illegal activity occurred.
Old 03-05-07, 01:49 AM

guess i will let the BBB sort this one out.
Old 03-05-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marylandjoe03
Are you saying that it would be illegal for DVP to refuse to do business with a particular person? What valid reason do they need in order to refuse business to anyone?
Old 03-05-07, 03:04 AM

It's not illegal for DVP or any retailer for that matter to refuse to do business with a particular person. All companies have that right. They don't even have to justify it.

OP, I hope that e-mail works for you. It sounds like you did a lot of business with DVP and it's a shame that your business relationship with them is ending on such a bad note.
Old 03-05-07, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
guess i will let the BBB sort this one out.
Don't count on it. The BBB is 100% funded by member companies, they are just a PR organization. Sure, sometimes they produce an improved result, you gotta have something to base your PR on. Unresolved complaints against paying-members eventually expire (6 months seems to be common period) while unresolved complaints against non-members generally never expire.

If DVDPlanet isn't a dues-paying member of the BBB, then your incident will be used as a shakedown tactic to get them to pay up.
Old 03-05-07, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the post Pookymeister.

I received your e-mail and requested the fraud department look into re-opening your account. The person in the fraud department that can look into this is on vacation. As soon as he returns I will have an answer for you. I do not have the ability to make any changes to a customer's account status without going through them.
Old 03-05-07, 11:29 AM

Look guys,

People who exploited the B1G1 free promotion were the only people that were banned from purchasing from DVD Planet and other companies owned by Infinity Resources. I am sorry if this seems unreasonable, but it is a decision that was made by Loss Prevention.
Old 03-05-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may be once again clueless, but what was the DVDPlanet B1G1F glitch? I don't recall reading about one recently and a search on the bargains forum turned up nada for me. (Of course, someone will quickly respond and show how anti-mad my searching skillz are....)
Old 03-05-07, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
I may be once again clueless, but what was the DVDPlanet B1G1F glitch? I don't recall reading about one recently and a search on the bargains forum turned up nada for me. (Of course, someone will quickly respond and show how anti-mad my searching skillz are....)
We had a handful of customers that figured out how to do a Buy One Get 10 or more free by manipulating the cart. There were less than 15 people that did this and they were banned for this.
Old 03-05-07, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Planet
Thanks for the post Pookymeister.

I received your e-mail and requested the fraud department look into re-opening your account. The person in the fraud department that can look into this is on vacation. As soon as he returns I will have an answer for you. I do not have the ability to make any changes to a customer's account status without going through them.
Thank you Mark. I appreciate it.
I do agree with the bannings, I just don't believe I should have been included in that pool.

Last edited by Pookymeister; 03-05-07 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Hadn't seen mention of that. Banning for cheating like that seems appropriate. Not commenting on the OP's situation, of course, which seems different. Thx.
Old 03-14-07, 05:16 PM

Speaking to the BBB situation, I filed a complaint against Best Buy with the BBB after they refused a legitimate return for no reason (it was some young kid with an attitude). Let's just say, that kid no longer works at the store and I was given a nice giftcard ... and they kept my business, so it does work if you post something thoughtful and not vitriolic.
Old 03-14-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by jayntampa
Speaking to the BBB situation, I filed a complaint against Best Buy with the BBB after they refused a legitimate return for no reason (it was some young kid with an attitude). Let's just say, that kid no longer works at the store and I was given a nice giftcard ... and they kept my business, so it does work if you post something thoughtful and not vitriolic.
I've used the BBB 3 times and had success with each complaint. Once it wasn't even a refund--they helped me reschedule my GRE when my kid got sick the night before.
Old 03-14-07, 08:21 PM

Like I said, "sometimes they produce an improved result, you gotta have something to base your PR on." Just don't expect to get anything more than your money's worth from the BBB.
Old 03-15-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

speaking of points....can someone explain to me this whole points thing? i placed over 10 orders with dvdplanet via google in the last few months...does that count and where i should go to know my points?

thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-07, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
speaking of points....can someone explain to me this whole points thing? i placed over 10 orders with dvdplanet via google in the last few months...does that count and where i should go to know my points?

thanks in advance!
Pretty sure you can login with your email address and GOOGLE as password. Good idea to change it after that. Points should be listed on your account page.
Old 03-15-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i logged in my account over dvdplanet (not the google one) and i see that i have 300 something points...

iam sure there's a guide for this somewhere but i can't find it...can you explain to me what each point means? and how do i use them as a discount?
Old 03-15-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iam sure there's a guide for this somewhere but i can't find it...can you explain to me what each point means? and how do i use them as a discount?
I'll quote an email I got a couple of days ago about the points I received from a recent order:

The DVD Planet Frequent Buyers Club is the great new way to earn dollars against
your DVDPlanet.com orders! It's so simple: you earn one DVDPLANET point per dollar
spent, which you can apply against your DVDPlanet.com order as follows:

When You Accrue: You Earn These Credits
200 points - $5 credit
400 points - $12 credit
600 points - $20 credit
800 points - $28 credit
1000 points - $40 credit

Points are SO EASY to redeem. If you have more than 200 points, a redemption drop-
down will appear at checkout. Select the number of points you wish redeem and click
apply! Up to 1000 points can be applied to any order as long as the total of the order
is not less than the amount of points you are trying to apply.
Old 03-16-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok thanks for this man but i have a few questions:

1-i logged on to my account over dvdplanet using my own password not the google one as Pooky said, and i found that i have 359 points but when i calaculated my spending since 2005 (whether it's via their website or google) and i found that i spent $377 and something....so if can earn 1 dvdplanet point for each dollar i spend,then why i have 359 points instead of 377? are there any exceptions or anything?

2-does the redemption drop-down appear in google checkout?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.