DVD Talk
At work, how do you let your manager know how busy you are? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : At work, how do you let your manager know how busy you are?

j123vt_99
03-01-07, 11:50 AM
So I started a new job about 5 months ago and things are going well. I've been assigned to a new job that basically makes me the main contact point/point of responsibility. My manager oversees a couple of different people but is also pretty busy herself. I certainly want to keep her up to date on how busy I am and how good a job I'm doing, but I feel weird if I just swing by her cube and let her know. How can I let her know that I'm doing a good job, things are under control, but busy? (basically give myself a pat on the back without making it super obvious)

BuddhaWake
03-01-07, 11:58 AM
I think I may have gotten in trouble the other day by saying that the workload was too much and pointless when they could go for higher acuracy of completion and less output. then I said that the big brass managers were idiots and got their managing skills from the back of a cereal box. In other words is better to keep your mouth shut which is my recomendation. If you go over you risk the chance of them giving you even more work because you are doing a good job and can rely on you even for last minute things. Of course I work for the government so is not the real world. plus the more you care the more they screw you over.

nodeerforamonth
03-01-07, 12:02 PM
Budda's right. Last time I mentioned my workload, the boss said "What's wrong with you? Can't you do two things at once?!!??!" Of course I was doing about 6 things at once and since he's so out of the loop, he doesn't know about all the other projects I'm doing or all the retarded questions I'm spending my time answering all day.

If you are working off hours, you can always send an e-mail out (cc-ing your boss) stating what projects you finished.

j123vt_99
03-01-07, 12:03 PM
I think I may have gotten in trouble the other day by saying that the workload was too much and pointless when they could go for higher acuracy of completion and less output. then I said that the big brass managers were idiots and got their managing skills from the back of a cereal box. In other words is better to keep your mouth shut which is my recomendation. If you go over you risk the chance of them giving you even more work because you are doing a good job and can rely on you even for last minute things. Of course I work for the government so is not the real world. plus the more you care the more they screw you over.

That's actually a good point about if you are doing a good job, you will just get overloaded

WallyOPD
03-01-07, 12:08 PM
Do you have any regular meetings with her and do you have specific performance objectives? I have a pretty good relationship with my boss so he knows what I'm working on most of the time but I also track everything I do and how it impacts my objectives. My performance reviews are pretty much me bringing in documentation to show my boss how awesome I am. Makes his job and my job a lot easier.

RunBandoRun
03-01-07, 12:16 PM
I keep three or four DVDTalk Forum screens open on the computer. :D

GreenEggs248
03-01-07, 01:02 PM
They have a ticketing system here. They can tell how many issues we verified.

wendersfan
03-01-07, 01:15 PM
Yeah, right. :lol:

4KRG
03-01-07, 01:18 PM
I would go with STFU and don't say anything until something is said to you

tropicana
03-01-07, 01:30 PM
They have a ticketing system here. They can tell how many issues we verified.

:lol: it doesnt go well with the beer and pingpong table in your break room

I would go with STFU and don't say anything until something is said to you

yea i agree, but most managers are poor with the recognition unless they somehow come across an outcome. if you wait...you might be waiting forever

ANDREMIKE
03-01-07, 01:32 PM
You could send her a weekly report. Give her updates on various things you are working on. When she sees that you are not doing enough work, she may ask you, or give you more...

Fincher Fan
03-01-07, 01:58 PM
Keep jars of your own urine on your desk. It will show you are too busy to even go to the bathroom.

DVDsAreMyLIFE
03-01-07, 02:22 PM
Don't get caught reading this site while you are supposed to be working.

-Tyler

devilshalo
03-01-07, 02:41 PM
The less they know what I'm doing, the better, as long as I'm getting it done.

kbmagic
03-01-07, 02:51 PM
I agree with Andremike -- send her weekly synopsis reports of the activities you've completed each week. My chart has a place for daily activities, and a place at the bottom for 'outstanding issues' and a place for issues I need my manager's input on. It works for me....

DVDsAreMyLIFE
03-01-07, 02:53 PM
I agree with Andremike -- send her weekly synopsis reports of the activities you've completed each week. My chart has a place for daily activities, and a place at the bottom for 'outstanding issues' and a place for issues I need my manager's input on. It works for me....

I guess it really depends on how your company runs. Where I work, you usually just get your stuff done. If it is done then they know you are working, if not then they can question you about, might not always be your fault. Just get your shit done, on time and make it quality work and you should be fine.

-Tyler

Pressplay
03-01-07, 03:04 PM
Buy that "forever smoking" fake cup of coffee and leave it on your desk at all times.

milo bloom
03-01-07, 06:00 PM
It's my experience, that if they don't know on their own, then they won't care if you bring it up. My current manager is well aware of my recent workload (helping another department), so he'll defend me to other departments, but he'll also keep me honest privately.