Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

March 2007: What comics are you reading?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This week (March 1st):

Justice 10: Amazing, simply amazing. This book comes out every 2 months but I have no problem whatsoever following the story. Writing timeless characters in a timeless fashion is always a recipe for success. I like the art too, it's not as stodgy as Alex Ross' art usually comes off as.

Flash 9: Holy crap does this book have "rushed" written all over it.

Did anyone get Walking Dead this week? my store didn't get it.
Old 03-01-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what I picked up yesterday. . .

52 Week #43 - Damn, what an awesome issue.

Action Comics #846 - The superman books are just awesome right now.

Batman Confidential #3 - Haven't read 1 or 2 yet.

Crossing Midnight #4 - 1 of many books that needs to be checked out by all.

Exterminators #14 - The most underrated & underhyped book on the market.

Firestorm The Nuclear Man#33

Flash The Fastest Man Alive #9 - The worste relaunch of a title ever IMO. Forgetting the last few filler issues, the Flash was one of the best superhero titles being published for years, only to be relaunched into a series with no direction, not very new reader friendsly IMO, & with the art that looks like a child is drawing it. At least Tony Daniel is going to be doins some issues so that is something to look foward to.

Green Lantern #17 - After nearly dropping this book, it has done a completely 180. It's actually become one of my most looked foward to comics now.

Hawkgirl #61 - Fun issue, I'm diggin' the hell out of the artist on this book, he doesn't get any recognition. Much like this comic since I'm probably the only one here that reads it.

Jack Of Fables #8 - Haven't had a chance to read any issue from this series, but I have no doubt it will be all kinds of awesome.

JSA Classified #23

Supergirl And The Legion Of Super-Heroes #27

Fear Agent #11 - Not as good as it use to be, but still a comic worth everyone picking up the first trade of.

Jack Staff #13 - Been a while since some sweet Jack Staff goodness came out.

Noble Causes #27 - Anyone bored with superhero comics needs to run out & check this book out.

True Story Swear To God #4 - Not real big on "slice-of-life" comics but I've always enjoyed this book in it's pre-Image days. Glad to see it is getting some more notice.

Walking Dead #35 - Yeah it did come out today. But I'm so far behind reading this book.

Annihilation Heralds Of Galactus #1 Terrax Stardust - I can't stress enough how much Annihilation kicked Civil War's ass in terms of quality & greatness. It has compltely revamped Marvel's cosmic world & showed how to do a major event right. Yeah, Marvel is going to milk it for all it's worth, but with the names they have lined up on the follow ups, it shows they are actually getting something right for a change.

Black Panther #25

Daredevil #94 - Holy damn what an awesome cover.

Iron Man #15

Runaways #24 - What a truly brilliant run on a comic. It is impossible to picture this book with any other writer & artist but BKV left it off with some great stuff for Whedon.

Wolverine #51

X-Factor#16 - Really good issue.

X-Men #196 - Ramos has become my new least favorite artist. I've always hated his stuff but this issue was just a mess. I just don't get the appeal of this guy.

Conan & The Midnight God #2

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic #14

& of coarse the new Wizard.
Old 03-01-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only picked up Eternals #7 and the Jack Of Fables trade.

I haven't even read issues 5 or 6 of Eternals, so I can't comment on the last issue yet. Jack Of Fables was great, though. I'm a huge fan of Fables and I loved seeing Jack out in the real world(kinda). The identity of the informant wasn't exactly a shock, but the end of issue 5 was great. I can't wait for the next trade.
Old 03-02-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17

Batman Confidential #3 - Haven't read 1 or 2 yet.

Flash The Fastest Man Alive #9 - The worste relaunch of a title ever IMO. Forgetting the last few filler issues, the Flash was one of the best superhero titles being published for years, only to be relaunched into a series with no direction, not very new reader friendsly IMO, & with the art that looks like a child is drawing it. At least Tony Daniel is going to be doins some issues so that is something to look foward to.

Green Lantern #17 - After nearly dropping this book, it has done a completely 180. It's actually become one of my most looked foward to comics now.

Noble Causes #27 - Anyone bored with superhero comics needs to run out & check this book out.

Walking Dead #35 - Yeah it did come out today. But I'm so far behind reading this book.

Annihilation Heralds Of Galactus #1 Terrax Stardust - I can't stress enough how much Annihilation kicked Civil War's ass in terms of quality & greatness. It has compltely revamped Marvel's cosmic world & showed how to do a major event right. Yeah, Marvel is going to milk it for all it's worth, but with the names they have lined up on the follow ups, it shows they are actually getting something right for a change.

X-Men #196 - Ramos has become my new least favorite artist. I've always hated his stuff but this issue was just a mess. I just don't get the appeal of this guy.

& of coarse the new Wizard.
The Superman books have been great since the OYL storyline. Yay for Superman eating a pretzel!

Batman Confidential didn't inspire the same kind of interest in me as Superman Confidential did, but then again, it seems like another way to get that Image Comics era back from the dead. A very weak opening story so far.

Indeed, Flash has been really bad. Granted, a revamp was necessary, although a total relaunch wasn't. After Johns left there just wasn't any creative direction and Flash didn't have much of a presence in IC. It's really foolish of DC to suddenly drop the ball with Flash, being that the book has been a strong seller for them, and a creative hit, way back from the beginning of Waid's run. Millar and Morrison had a nice stint, but it was great to see someone hit another nice, meaty stride that Johns did. Consistently great art and storytelling every month, and now we have this.

What really irks me is that Wally is just gone. That's it, poof, no great superhero send off, no fantastic goodbye, no passing of the torch, no memoriam, just GONE. And for no reason whatsoever, because the character wasn't tired in the least.

Noble Causes is a great book, especially since I hate anything else Jae Faerber writes. It's another great pure superhero book, much in the vein of Invincible and Superman/Batman, although without the overly-sappy yet tremendously limited character development of the former and the wild, totally narcissistic direction of the latter.

Walking Dead has been really intense as of late. Kirkman has the pacing and plotting of this book down pat. We have issues of zombie attacks, but he also gives us plenty of character interaction so that the emotional impact hits harder. What I really love is how consistent the art is on this book. It seems muddled and overly dark at first, but the action is totally easy to follow, and despite the 10 million characters, you can easily recognize them.

Annihilation was a great crossover. Loved it. Marvel sure knows how to do it's cosmic stories. A great story that got lost in the hype for Civil War.

Daredevil for me has been a favorite ever since the Marvel Knights relaunch. A cover like this really shocked and delighted me though, and reminded me of the Marvel from 2000-2004 that was wildly experimental and entertaining. More of this, please.

I too hate Ramos' art. I loved Crimson when it came out, but for some reason his art has taken a turn for the worse. It's much more stylized and consistent, definitely less derivative, but I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN EACH PANEL!!!

It surprises me that you read Wizard: The Comic Book Movie Hype Magazine.
Old 03-02-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Right now I'm reading:

It's so-so.
Old 03-02-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Currently only reading ESSENTIAL LUKE CAGE, POWER MAN Vol. 1. It is a lot more fun than I was expecting it to be, jive turkey. I might head to the comic shop this weekend to pick up my regular floppy books.
Old 03-02-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

52 Week #43 - Damn, what an awesome issue.

Black Panther #25

Wolverine #51

Action Comics #846 Full agreement on both Action and Superman

Daredevil #94 - been enjoying the heck out of Daredevil for a long time! Was concerned about this issue due to the theme but it came out well enough. Great retro cover!

Wolverine #51 - Anticipating that this will resolve nothing when it's over, I give this issue a solid "meh"

X-Factor#16 - This has been my favorite X-book since it relaunched (or shortly thereafter once I realized how good it was). Unlike any other X-book, I'm totally entertained each issue.

X-Men #196 - The Ramos cover alone caused me to nearly not even pick this up. His style just does not fit with anything I've seen him do (Spider-man, Wolverine, whatever else I've tried to since forget). Give him some obscure Anime thing to draw and leave me alone!

52 Week #43 -
Spoiler:
I'm not hungry anymore either
Old 03-02-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is a real shame that the books status quo was set by these two guys. I won't call them bad writers as their other book Red Menace has been well received, but it's obvious that they weren't right for the new Flash. Such a bad move on DC's part. I'm guessing all of this stuff is going to be swept under the rug with the next writer.
Old 03-02-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I think it is a real shame that the books status quo was set by these two guys. I won't call them bad writers as their other book Red Menace has been well received, but it's obvious that they weren't right for the new Flash. Such a bad move on DC's part. I'm guessing all of this stuff is going to be swept under the rug with the next writer.
You know as a general rule I don't give my comics much thought, but I had basically the same idea as I was reading this month's Flash. Actually my exact thought was "Why am I still buying this?"
Old 03-02-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy

I too hate Ramos' art. I loved Crimson when it came out, but for some reason his art has taken a turn for the worse. It's much more stylized and consistent, definitely less derivative, but I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN EACH PANEL!!!
The last thing I read from Ramos was Crimson, though I liked his Impulse run... thought he was perfect for that book. But what you say reminds me a lot of my complaints about Bachalo... loved his early stuff even though he wasn't the clearest storyteller, but his work in Steam Punk, while highly detailed, was too difficult to follow. I know he's on the X-books now... has he toned it down a bit?

It's funny, I was reading through the Age of Apocalypse collections recently, and it strikes me in retrospect how bad some of the art really was (though I still love Madureira). And then reading through the TwoMorrows Modern Masters series featuring artists like Maguire, Art Adams and Weiringo, I still love their stuff. Even though I love Tom Strong, I wish Chris Sprouse, for example, would go back to a traditional superhero book.
Old 03-02-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
CATWOMAN #64 - another great cover, and love the last panel

ROBIN #159

B[B]IRDS OF PREY #103 – Batgirl cameo, and Babs past, nuff said.

BRAVE AND THE BOLD #1 Mmmm Old school team-up books. Hal and Bruce gambling is worth it alone.

FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MAN #33 Too bad this is ending soon…

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #4 - Humours issue, but a character shouldn’t cameo his own book. Starting to feel like a useless CW relaunch, only making the MAX series better.

FLASH THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #9 Christ. “I can run real fast, and I help people” OMG. And note to artist, Robins costume changed. Last year…

GREEN LANTERN #17 – Month in and month out, 1 of my favorite books.

GI JOE AMERICAS ELITE #21 WOW. It’s amazing what a new team can do for a book. This is the first issue of Elite that had a lot going on story wise, and didn’t loose it, or feel rushed. +5 for hard ass Cobras killing children too 
Old 03-02-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
52 WEEK #43 - Wow. Just...wow.

ACTION COMICS #846 - Is this late? Or is it just me wanting more of this a lot sooner? Unlike the other Supes comics, I enjoy this one.

BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL #3

CITY OF OTHERS #1 - Couldn't remember why I ordered this...until I saw Wrightson on the cover.

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE #11 - Wow. Terribly bad.

FLASH THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #9 - See comments above. Only redeeming thing was EVS's cover.

GREEN LANTERN #17 - One of these days i'll have to sit down and read these books.

JLA CLASSIFIED #35 - One of these days i'll have to sit down and read these books.

JSA CLASSIFIED #23 - One of these...you get the point.

JUSTICE #10 - This is almost over, right?

NEW EXCALIBUR #17 - Not bad. Good art. Okay story. Is this based on a real-life events? I know Claremont was having health issues a while back...

WOLVERINE #51 - Looks GREAT. Reads TERRIBLE.

X-FACTOR #16 - You know how they say everyone on the planet has a double? Well, i'm now convinced Marvel has two Peter Davids working for them. The brilliant one that responsible for this title and stories like "Jean DeWolff" and then the one that does Neighborhood Spider-Man.

X-MEN #196 - This is a painful title to collect. The art is terrible. The "story" is a LOT worse. I really hope Rogue leaves so I can drop this. Actually, a new team on the book (writer/art team, that is) would be preferable.
Old 03-02-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Since I didn't do last week's...

52 WEEK #42 - Wow. Just...wow.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #538 - Wow. Didn't see that coming, he said sarcastically.

BRAVE AND THE BOLD CVR A, CVR B #1 - Yep. Both covers. Excellent art and the story wasn't bad either. Let's hope George can keep it up.

CHECKMATE #11 - Excellent book.

CIVIL WAR #7 - What a steaming pile of shit.

ELEPHANTMEN #7

NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI #2 - Umm...yeah. So now the Illuminati each have an Infinity Gem? Got it. Oh, and I like Cheung, but there was something off about his art in this book. Particularly with Xavier in a couple of panels.

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #4

ROBIN #159

SE7EN SLOTH #3

SHADOWPACT #10

SHE-HULK 2 #16 - Not bad. But i'm getting tired of Slott making Shulkie a slut. I hope she helps rips some shit up when cousin Brucie comes back.

SILENT WAR #2

SUPERMAN #659 - I am so lost with this book. One minute he's fighting in Siberia or something and the next, he's in the future? Oh yeah, Arion's back too.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE #4

WONDER WOMAN #4 - Man, this book looks great. Really wish it wasn't on a bi-quarterly schedule though.

X-MEN FIRST CLASS #6
Old 03-02-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Currently only reading ESSENTIAL LUKE CAGE, POWER MAN Vol. 1. It is a lot more fun than I was expecting it to be, jive turkey. I might head to the comic shop this weekend to pick up my regular floppy books.
I took Essential Defenders 2 on my vacation and dang if that thing didn't last me the whole SF-Honolulu flight. I was hoping for a similar return from Showcase Presents JLA 1, but it seemed dull and I started skimming...
Old 03-03-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the 3 issues of Johns' and Donner's run so far on Action Comics, and all I can say is ohmywow. I love the retelling of General Zod's origin story, and I love where the story is going with all the Kryptonian criminals being released from the Phantom Zone and attacking Metropolis. It's just too bad that the next issue is a couple months away.
Old 03-03-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588

NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI #2 - Umm...yeah. So now the Illuminati each have an Infinity Gem? Got it. Oh, and I like Cheung, but there was something off about his art in this book. Particularly with Xavier in a couple of panels.
I think that was the time gem playing havok with them. Hence why Mr. Fantastic looks really old in some panels.
Old 03-03-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I picked up the 3 issues of Johns' and Donner's run so far on Action Comics, and all I can say is ohmywow. I love the retelling of General Zod's origin story, and I love where the story is going with all the Kryptonian criminals being released from the Phantom Zone and attacking Metropolis. It's just too bad that the next issue is a couple months away.
I'm waiting for the inevitable hardcover
Old 03-05-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Yeah I'm really liking Zod and the Gang. The backstory was really interesting.
Old 03-07-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my haul today . . .

52 Week #44 - Yet another great week

Detective Comics #829 - So far behind on this book.

Helmet Of Fate Zauriel #1

Jonah Hex #17 - Much like Green Lantern, after a very, very shaky start on this series, to the point where I almost dropped it, this has become one of my favorite comics. Last issue was brilliant, & Noto's art is stunning.

Justice League Of America #6 - Love the variant cover on this one. I know it's geeky trendy to be hating on this title, but I think it's been great so far.

Loveless #16 - Been diggin' the hell out of this book since issue #1, & it's still strong.

Midnighter #5 - Book is picking up steam, getting better, but I think Ennis is one of the most overrated writers in comics. He is the definition of a "one-trick pony".

Nightwing #130 - This book has been so so bad, for so so long.

Scalped #3 - Pretty cool book so far, not a big fan of the art but the story is better than I thought it would be.

Showcase Presents House Of Mystery Vol 2 TP - Oh how I love this book. The first vol is my favorite Showcase Presents so far. For less than $15 these things are soooo worth it.

Superman Batman #32 - I'm literally like 2 years behind on this comic. I think the last issue I read was 12.

Welcome To Tranquility #4 - One of my "buy this book people" titles that probably everyone ignores when I preach the greatness of a comic.

Dynamo 5 #1 - Looked worth checking out, haven't read it yet.

Captain America #25 - Now I am not a message board guy (aside from here), I don't read comic book news sites at all, but I was a retailer when the order was placed for this issue & for what it's worth, I HAD NO F'N CLUE this was going to happen at ALL let alone in this issue, in fact I didn't even know about it until I went to the store today, & people kept walking in off the streets asking about this issue . I don't think since I was a little kid, have I ever been so genuinely shocked reading a comic, largely since this is my favorite Marvel character. And for all the geeks that will instantly knock something like this, all I can say is Brubaker knocked this issue out of the ballpark with how brilliant it is. From the little bits of what Rogers means to supporting characters to the awesome fight between
Spoiler:
Bucky & Crossbones
, this honestly (& you guys see how many comics I read) is one of the best single issues of a comic I've ever read.

Mighty Avengers #1 - Then on the other had, you have Bendis, who again shows why he is the most overrated hack in the business. I didn't think his dialogue could be more pointless, & distracting & then he goes & brings back word balloons. Cho's art though is amazing as usual.

Daredevil By Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus - Frank Miller Variant - I just love these things. This one looks beautiful on the shelf.

Fantastic Four #543

Incredible Hulk #104

newuniversal #4

Uncanny X-Men #484 - I simply refuse to believe this is Bru writing this comics. It has to be a ghost writer.

Star Wars Legacy #9
Old 03-08-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome To Tranquility #4 - One of my "buy this book people" titles that probably everyone ignores when I preach the greatness of a comic.
I do NOT ignore it. I just don't always follow or agree.
Legion of Monsters: Werewolf by Night - The werewolf story was entertaining, but nothing special. Didn't like the Frankenstein at all, though. This could make a nice monthly series if they just had a new classic creature(werewolf, vampire, mummy, etc) every month with a stand a lone story of this tone.
Connor Hawke:Dragon's Blood - A little better this month, but still could be better. And I hate this art. If I didn't like the characters so much, I wouldn't be buying this.

Last edited by exharrison; 03-08-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up the fifth book of Ex Machina a few days ago. Still one of my favorite series. If I can find issue 26, I might start buying individual issues instead of the TPBs.
Old 03-09-07, 12:17 PM

Vaughn writes such wonderful cliffhangers... it's the only reason I don't go to individual issues on Ex Machina. I can't handle it.
Old 03-09-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wanted the AH! variant cover for JLA #6, but since I swore off the non 50/50 variant covers, I held firm and bought the regular cover edition. Looking back, I'll probably regret not spending the extra $4 to get it. Grrr.... Poor Reddy, he really got put through the ringer by Grundy.

52 has been insane these past few weeks.

Haven't read an issue of Captain America in decades, but I did enjoy #25, from both a storytelling and artistic standpoint.
Old 03-09-07, 01:09 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Incredible Hulk #104 -- gosh i love this Planet Hulk stuff...i am eating it up. the storyline is so genius. Hulk is one awesome character. bring on WWH.

Civil War #7 -- good stuff...cheesy end though

Civil War: The Initiative #1 -- haven't read yet

Daredevil #94 -- haven't read yet

Ghost Rider Trail of Tears #1 -- i was like "wtf is going on"...don't know what it has to do with the Ghost Rider we all know

Ghost Rider Trail of Tears #2 -- i am really digging this now...it is kind of like a "horror" western.

Captain America #25 -- tragic, didn't see this one coming

Daredevil Visionaries Vol 2(Frank Miller) -- can't wait to get into this.

Last edited by wlj; 03-09-07 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by exharrison
Legion of Monsters: Werewolf by Night - The werewolf story was entertaining, but nothing special. Didn't like the Frankenstein at all, though. This could make a nice monthly series if they just had a new classic creature(werewolf, vampire, mummy, etc) every month with a stand a lone story of this tone.
I also thought the werewolf story was so-so, but I really loved that Frankenstein tale, both the story and the art. I totally agree that this would make a great monthly series.

Anybody else reading Dark Horse's "Samurai: Heaven and Earth"? I love Luke Ross's art (and also loved his Jonah Hex run last year).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.