DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Smoking Aces: [dvd/hd-dvd] -4/17/07

gerrythedon
02-27-07, 11:05 PM
Universal Home Video has sent over early details on Smokin' Aces which stars the likes of Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, and Alicia Keys. The release date has yet to be confirmed I'm afraid, although from what we understand - the disc will be available from the 17th April. As well as an anamorphic widescreen presentation, and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track - the disc will include an alternate ending, around twenty minutes of deleted scenes, outtakes, and more. We'll bring you further details shortly. A HD DVD/Combo release will also be available for around $39.98 or thereabouts.

DVDACTIVE.com

ignition
02-27-07, 11:09 PM
I'll at least be renting this, unless some B&Ms have some real good prices for it on release day.

speedyray
02-28-07, 12:30 AM
Count me in for the HD-DVD (despite the combo BS).

project86
02-28-07, 12:34 AM
I'll definately get this, I loved this movie. Horray for action movies semi-making a comeback.

nateman
02-28-07, 02:50 AM
I will get this movie! It looked really good from the previews i saw and since i don't go to the theatres this will be my blind buy (Movie) of the week, when i pick up 'not just the best of larry saunders' dvd.

steebo777
02-28-07, 10:10 AM
I liked the flick but will pass.

darkside
02-28-07, 10:24 AM
I'll get this one on HD DVD. Hopefully it will be $27.99 at Amazon.

Fincher Fan
02-28-07, 10:29 AM
Fucking combos. Still, I may have to pick it up.

Bluelitespecial
02-28-07, 12:05 PM
I'll definately get this, I loved this movie. Horray for action movies semi-making a comeback.

You mean R-rated action flicks?

Jake77444
02-28-07, 01:08 PM
I'll get this and throw it in to the wood burning stove to watch it burn.

FantasticVSDoom
02-28-07, 02:05 PM
I liked this, but not sure if I will pick it up due to the combo... I guess it will depend on the price and what the reviews are for the quality of the picture/sound.

dpz301
02-28-07, 09:16 PM
i enjoyed this in theatres. not sure about the combo, but if there is a 12.99 or so price on release day, i'll get it, otherwise, i might just wait.

Dean Kousoulas
02-28-07, 09:55 PM
I'm in. Pissed about the combo (not the format, but the price) but I will bite the bullet on this one.

jdslater1
03-01-07, 03:45 AM
The combo doesn't bother me much. The DVD side means my folks can use it and I can watch it at work. Do people not like combos because of the extra price?

darkside
03-01-07, 10:03 AM
The combo doesn't bother me much. The DVD side means my folks can use it and I can watch it at work. Do people not like combos because of the extra price?
Just the price. I love the combo idea and I lend them to people without HD DVD players, but I wish they were cheaper.

Mr. Cinema
03-01-07, 10:11 AM
I don't like 2-sided discs of any kind.

Mittman
03-01-07, 12:19 PM
Just the price. I love the combo idea and I lend them to people without HD DVD players, but I wish they were cheaper.

Agreed. But with Blu Ray charging the same prices for non-combo releases, I guess things could be worse. I do like the idea of being able to watch these films in the bedroom or any other room in the house besides my HT. It'll be quite a few years before people having multiple HD players for each room of the house is the norm. I know it wasn't until about 1999-2000ish until I had nearly every room covered with a DVD player. And now, until combo players become the norm, I'll have to buy TWO players for each room. I'd much prefer paying an extra $5 to get a DVD copy too. I can live with standard def on my 26 inch LCD in the bedroom, I just want the option to watch new releases either there or in the living room on the big TV.

ConVerse
03-04-07, 01:22 PM
This movie rocked the sh*t .... I'll definitely be buying it.

FantasticVSDoom
03-04-07, 05:44 PM
Exactly... Got lucky with The Departed abd Best Buy, so if they do the same for this one, maybe I will get it.

ConVerse
03-05-07, 07:24 PM
Wait a second? Are they releasing a regular DVD and a DVD/HD combo or just the DVD/HD combo?

DoubleDownAgain
03-05-07, 07:37 PM
Both the regular DVD and the HD-DVD/DVD combo

DoubleDownAgain
03-06-07, 12:35 AM
Doesn't look like a lot of features, I'll wait for a price reduction and/or special edition.

ConVerse
03-06-07, 09:49 AM
Both the regular DVD and the HD-DVD/DVD combo

Thank god, I'd be pissed if I had to buy an HD-DVD without owning an HD-DVD Player

rexinnih
03-06-07, 10:09 AM
Missed it in the theaters. Time for a rental and we'll go from there.

gerrythedon
03-09-07, 10:50 PM
Further Details:
Universal Home Video has sent over early details on Smokin' Aces which stars the likes of Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, and Alicia Keys. The disc will be available to own from the 17th April, and should retail at around $29.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include an audio commentary with Writer/Director Joe Carnahan and Editor Robert Frazen, a second commentary with Writer/Director Joe Carnahan, Common, Christopher Holley and Zach Cumer, deleted and extended scenes, outtakes, a Shoot 'Em Up: Stunts & Efffects featurette, a Cowboy Ending featurette, The Line-Up featurette, and The Big Gun featurette. A HD DVD/Combo release will also be available for around $39.98 or thereabouts.

DVDACTIVE.com

gerrythedon
03-16-07, 11:08 PM
originally posted by SuckaMC

Loved this movie.. more details are up at IGN:

The Smokin' Aces DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

18 Minutes of Additional Footage
Cowboy Ending - Alternate Ending
Deleted/Extended Scenes & Outtakes
Shoot 'em Up: Stunts and Effects
The Line Up Featurette
The Big Gun Featurette

Feature Commentary with Writer and Director Joe Carnahan and Editor Robert Farazen

Feature Commentary with Writer and Director Joe Carnahan and film actors Common (Sir Ivy), Christopher Holley (Beanie) and Zach Cumer (Warren)

U-Control Assassin Tracker: Use Google Maps to track the assassins to Reno (HD DVD exclusive)

U-Control Picture In Picture: Access interactive bonus features, including cast interviews and behind-the-scenes footage, all without interruption to the movie experience (HD DVD exclusive)

click for art work
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/773/773039p1.html

It says 18 min of additional footage AND deleted scenes.. I wonder if the 18 mins are back into the movie. I hope so.

shacmasta
04-18-07, 12:44 AM
Went to best buy to pick up smokin aces, figured why not go with the deck of cards, but to my surprise the smokin aces dvd came packed together with the cards inside a box. It was the exact size of the borat tee shirt set that best buy was selling a few weeks ago.

ConVerse
04-18-07, 10:45 AM
BOUGHT IT !!!! I love this movie more and more everytime I see it.

The extras were pretty good. The alternate ending was pointless, but the outtakes were hilarious. I also liked the stunts/effects feature as well as "The Line Up" where the cast talked about their characters.

matome
04-18-07, 11:57 AM
Went to best buy to pick up smokin aces, figured why not go with the deck of cards, but to my surprise the smokin aces dvd came packed together with the cards inside a box. It was the exact size of the borat tee shirt set that best buy was selling a few weeks ago.

Picked up the Best Buy pack as well for $16.99. Good deal.

Snowmaker
04-18-07, 03:00 PM
Wonder if this would be a good blind buy. It sounds like something I'd like. My Wal-Mart has it for $14.24.

matome
04-18-07, 05:59 PM
If you like the True Romance type flicks, I think it's definitely worth a blind buy.

Snowmaker
04-18-07, 06:20 PM
If you like the True Romance type flicks, I think it's definitely worth a blind buy.

I do.

Geist
04-18-07, 08:04 PM
The reviews seemed pretty mixed so I Netflixed it instead of blinding buying.

And I'm glad. The DVD seems like it has some nice extras, and I liked NARC, but I was surprised by how insulted I was by this film. So much so that I'm going to watch it one more time just to make sure that I really disliked it as much as I think I did.

jdslater1
04-18-07, 08:36 PM
Just want to point out a good point about combos. My Toshiba didn't want to play the HD-DVD side of a film (Children of Men) so I had to watch the SD side. So until all players play all the things they are supposesd to, combos are pretty good.

Getting back to Smoking Aces, really good sound on this when it set to the right volume. I now have a Denonn 2807 receiver with HDMI so I can get the full sound. I am now watching it a 2nd time since Saturday with the U-Control. Some pretty good stuff with the map.

ConVerse
04-18-07, 08:47 PM
Wonder if this would be a good blind buy. It sounds like something I'd like. My Wal-Mart has it for $14.24.

Buy it

laserdogg
04-18-07, 09:32 PM
Went with the HD-DVD combo which Walmart was selling for 19.96

Snowmaker
04-18-07, 10:34 PM
The reviews seemed pretty mixed so I Netflixed it instead of blinding buying.

And I'm glad. The DVD seems like it has some nice extras, and I liked NARC, but I was surprised by how insulted I was by this film. So much so that I'm going to watch it one more time just to make sure that I really disliked it as much as I think I did.

"Insulted"?

Geist
04-18-07, 11:02 PM
Not in a PC way, like it insulted my delicate sensibilities. Insulted like they thought I should be gushing over such an OMGSOAWESOME!!!1 ending that I'd forget all the other stupid wannabekewl bullshit I won't mention for risk of spoilers and thread-capping.

Snowmaker
04-18-07, 11:07 PM
Eh, maybe I'll just rent it.

thelwig14
04-19-07, 11:53 AM
I did not take it seriously (how could you?) and thought it was entertaining. I will definitely snag it in the next BBV sale.

maingon
04-19-07, 03:05 PM
got the HD-DVD version from Netflix. the PQ looked fantastic on my 92" screen. one of the better HD-DVD transfers.

clappj
04-19-07, 03:13 PM
Not in a PC way, like it insulted my delicate sensibilities. Insulted like they thought I should be gushing over such an OMGSOAWESOME!!!1 ending that I'd forget all the other stupid wannabekewl bullshit I won't mention for risk of spoilers and thread-capping.

Do what?!?!

MGunn
04-19-07, 04:27 PM
I looked everywhere here locally, but couldn't find the HD-DVD anywhere. I'm going to wait a few more days, then I may have to order it online.

ConVerse
04-20-07, 02:07 PM
I looked everywhere here locally, but couldn't find the HD-DVD anywhere. I'm going to wait a few more days, then I may have to order it online.

I saw the HD-DVD at my local Best Buy, if you went there, it probably was sold out. It's a good buy

SuckaMC
04-20-07, 03:24 PM
Hey there. Just wondering about this... I've read in a couple of interviews that the Tremors attack was a couple of minutes longer.. Is this correct? I would watch it myself but I think I'm getting it for my birthday sunday. Or is it a deleted/extented outtake?

philip74
02-18-09, 08:46 PM
dvd pacific and deepdiscountdvd are listing smokin aces with a preorder date 03/22/09,
does anybody know what will be new or different about that version?

http://www.dvdpacific.com/search2008.asp?c-id=all&t-id=&t-text=smokin+aces
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=62234113

dx23
02-18-09, 08:53 PM
dvd pacific and deepdiscountdvd are listing smokin aces with a preorder date 03/22/09,
does anybody know what will be new or different about that version?

http://www.dvdpacific.com/search2008.asp?c-id=all&t-id=&t-text=smokin+aces
http://scripts.affiliatefuture.com/AFClick.asp?affiliateID=33279&merchantID=1175&programmeID=3706&mediaID=0&tracking=forum&url=http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=62234113

Just a price drop. Online stores tend to do this with dvd that have been released but are getting a price drop.

Bluelitespecial
02-18-09, 08:58 PM
I am guessing this will be for the bluray version right?

philip74
02-18-09, 08:59 PM
ok, i just researched a bit on the internet and found out that this "new" version includes movie cash for fast and the furious.
are they that desperate to promote fast&furious??
i mean there are already 3 new fast and the furious special editions being
released! do we really need a re-release of smokin aces, just for a fast&furious movie cash??
therefore i am seriously starting to doubt if this version will provide anything new. probably exactly the same old release with the same cover.
if it at least came with a slipsleeve i would buy it.

Tarantino
02-18-09, 09:49 PM
So a <i>slipcase</i> is going to end your two year holdout of owning this movie?

= J

My Other Self
02-19-09, 02:26 AM
So is this the Blu-ray release, then?

tylergfoster
02-19-09, 04:55 AM
No, it is probably the exact same as the edition already released, except it has moviecash in it. It's not really a re-release at all. They had some of these last year where you could pick whether you wanted your ticket to apply to Hellboy or Wanted.

philip74
02-19-09, 06:32 AM
So a <i>slipcase</i> is going to end your two year holdout of owning this movie?

= J

no, i owned the dvd for quite some time, but a friend who borrowed it never
returned it, so since i have to repurchase anyway, a sleeve would
definitely have been an extra incentive.

philip74
03-25-09, 07:46 PM
has anybody already seen the new release with movie cash in it?
is there anything different about the packaging, or the exactly
the same release as before??

MrSmearkase
03-26-09, 09:20 AM
has anybody already seen the new release with movie cash in it?
is there anything different about the packaging, or the exactly
the same release as before??

Same release, same packaging. They've simply applied the ticket sticker with printed E-code to the shrinkwrap, and then added another shrinkwrap on top.

In case you're still interested, it's on sale at Best Buy through Saturday for $5.99, so the $7.50 towards Fast & Furious is gravy on top.

philip74
03-26-09, 04:22 PM
Same release, same packaging. They've simply applied the ticket sticker with printed E-code to the shrinkwrap, and then added another shrinkwrap on top.

In case you're still interested, it's on sale at Best Buy through Saturday for $5.99, so the $7.50 towards Fast & Furious is gravy on top.

thanks a lot for the info!
unfortunately i cant buy at at best buy, as i am home-based in europe :)