The Unit — "Dark of the Moon" — 2/27/2007

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Unit — "Dark of the Moon" — 2/27/2007

"Dark of the Moon" — CBS — 9PM ET
Spoiler:
After arriving at an Army support base in a remote area of Afghanistan, Jonas and his team discover that the base is in a state of disarray and take control of the situation by organizing the troops for an all out attack against the tribal militia surrounding them.

I've never seen an episode like this one so I hope it delivers. It looked a little too A-Team in the previews. Hopefully the show doesn't lose focus of what makes it good.
Old 02-27-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I should "spoiler" this:
Spoiler:
The promos keep harping on "night is coming" like it is a bad thing. I thought we "ruled the night" and preferred it for a fight. They better clean some clocks.
Old 02-27-07, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting episode - no wives!
Old 02-27-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Interesting episode - no wives!
This is the second no wives episode. Last one had just one.
Old 02-27-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
A bit more action than I was expecting but good episode.
Old 02-28-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this might have been the best hour in the history of television.

No Desperate Army Wives!
Old 02-28-07, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
My wife and I commented how this show is sometimes like have a war movie every week. Great episode, and we really liked the one last week, too.
Old 02-28-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Wives!
Old 02-28-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Great episode. The only thing I didn't get was what the hell that Army camp was doing out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-28-07, 09:07 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Dramatic license aside, artistic freedom aside, budgetary constraints aside, if you are going to do a series even slightly based on CAG, aka SFOD-D, aka Delta Force to the laymen, and incorporate the current U.S. Army, they need to drop all the B.S. I saw in this episode and have better production values. Raise the bar!

Listen, the U.S. military owns the night. We have the best night optical devices, aka night vision goggles, in the world and though once issued primarily to combat arms and "above," have now been issued to every Joe and Jane going overseas. To not see even one, especially when many of the soldiers were wearing the specific mount for night vision on the front of their helmets, was lame. I know, it heightened the drama (for some) and it is expensive to outfit the actors with the airsoft replica PVS-series, but no explanation seemed to be given. It's like they wanted a WW2 look and feel. What happened to all the equipment left over from 'Over There?'

Second, the whole radio cutting out on them? Radio checks are done every 15-30-60 minutes 24-7. If no one's responding, SOMEONE comes to investigate (QRF). Especially today, local cellphones are even used for non-sensitive communication and could be utilized. "Delta" all the way down to the grunts have numerous types of radios on their persons and in near every vehicle. Some are satellite enabled. Maybe, just maybe, a mini-nuke or electromagnetic attack could have provided that plot point? Again, I was dissapointed in the lack of logic.

Good god, the actors sure tried, but given tired, cliched dialogue, I guess the writers watched 80's Vietnam movies and thought, hey, nothing's changed, right? Cripes, it may have been popular in WW2, but Sergeants are NOT NOT NOT called "Sarge!" It is a very tired cliche! The female Lieutenant in charge? Who pulls a Sigourney Weaver? Silver Star winning female sergeants aside, let's not kid ourselves. And the insubordination and individualism (not a bad thing, but not the way it's portrayed) is all straight out of an old movie. NOTHING new or ACCURATE. Hell, not even entertaining. Foreshadowing be damned, there was not a single surprise.

Tactics sucked. 'Over There' was bad, but bad because it was so textbook or outdated. I believe they chose a Desert Storm Marine Veteran as their technical advisor, hello, wrong era, wrong service. There was nary a single good tactical decision throughout the episode.

Those sniper rifles? No go. And yes, I realize the real Barrett is illegal in California. There are rentals/props/replicas. Help your Armorer. Same with Wardrobe. Stop purchasing or renting those awful MICH replicas. You distinctly see sizing problems. The chin straps scream fake fake FAKE. It's a good try, but you're trying to portray what you can see on the news every day, so try to get it right.

I could nitpick the whole thing apart for lack of detail and even bad casting, but at the end, it told a story, entertainingly so, and made you root for the cast. That said, I truly wonder just what the retired Command Sergent Major who's the technical consultant for this show is doing, because he doesn't appear to be reading the scripts nor on set for accuracy. No disrespect to him but he needs to take a better look.
Old 03-01-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
Maybe, just maybe, a mini-nuke or electromagnetic attack could have provided that plot point? Again, I was dissapointed in the lack of logic.
I won't argue your other points because I can't. But they did mention that there were sunspots / solar flares causing the radio signal decay.
Old 03-01-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
It was pretty silly how none of them had any type of equipment other than a rifle. More than once I wondered to myself why they didn't even have a frag grenade available to them. That aside, I think it was one of the best hours of TV in a long time.
Old 03-01-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those sniper rifles? No go. And yes, I realize the real Barrett is illegal in California. There are rentals/props/replicas. Help your Armorer. Same with Wardrobe. Stop purchasing or renting those awful MICH replicas. You distinctly see sizing problems. The chin straps scream fake fake FAKE. It's a good try, but you're trying to portray what you can see on the news every day, so try to get it right.

I could nitpick the whole thing apart for lack of detail and even bad casting, but at the end, it told a story, entertainingly so, and made you root for the cast. That said, I truly wonder just what the retired Command Sergent Major who's the technical consultant for this show is doing, because he doesn't appear to be reading the scripts nor on set for accuracy. No disrespect to him but he needs to take a better look.
I agree 100% with everything you noted. I loved the ep. for how entertaining it was and I'm a geek for anything special operations related, but it was exactly the things you mentioned that distracted me the entire ep. (ESPECIALLY the acting and chreap looking unis). Surprised the show isn't more detail-oriented when it probably has a large military audience.

Loved that there wasn't a wife to be found.

Did Mamet write this one?
Old 03-01-07, 11:08 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This is one of my favorite shows, and I wish more people watched it.

Q: Would it be realistic to have a woman in charge of all those men out there??
Old 03-01-07, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
This is one of my favorite shows, and I wish more people watched it.

Q: Would it be realistic to have a woman in charge of all those men out there??
Yes. IIRC, she was part of a supply detachment and as an officer, she outranked the males providing security. I'm sure the scenario they were in is very, very uncommon, but I'm quite positive there have been instances of women leading men in battle.

Meg Ryan's character in Courage Under Fire outranked everyone she was stranded with after her chopper got shot down.

Hitman, you have an answer for us?

Last edited by TimeandTide; 03-01-07 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-02-07, 02:12 AM

Well, they mentioned something about being an infantry platoon, perhaps as a size comparison. Yes, as the lone officer she was the ranking individual. Was it realistic to have her in charge of all those men out there? Yes, it's possible. Unlikely, but possible. Yes, female troops have led and done well, i.e. Silver Star awardee SGT Leigh Ann Hester. There's some awesome female aviators and good ones that work in non-combat arms positions. But as far as putting steel on targets, defending a FOB or patrol base, etc? All authority should reside in the most qualified ranking officer or NCO there, and that would be Haysbert's Sergeant Major.
Old 03-02-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, they mentioned something about being an infantry platoon, perhaps as a size comparison. Yes, as the lone officer she was the ranking individual. Was it realistic to have her in charge of all those men out there? Yes, it's possible. Unlikely, but possible. Yes, female troops have led and done well, i.e. Silver Star awardee SGT Leigh Ann Hester. There's some awesome female aviators and good ones that work in non-combat arms positions. But as far as putting steel on targets, defending a FOB or patrol base, etc? All authority should reside in the most qualified ranking officer or NCO there, and that would be Haysbert's Sergeant Major.
Again, I'm not too familiar with military protocol, but from a storytelling standpoint, I think Snake Doctor purposefully put her "in charge" so her group wouldn't be so splintered. He was still the basic decision maker and veteran, but he wanted to show the other soldiers that she was their leader.