DVD Talk
Do you think that overly 'obese' children should be taken away from their parents? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you think that overly 'obese' children should be taken away from their parents?

mrpayroll
02-26-07, 06:22 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/26/AR2007022600801.html

Britain May Take Custody of Obese Boy

By COURTNEY FRENCH
The Associated Press
Monday, February 26, 2007; 4:31 PM

LONDON -- Authorities are considering taking an 8-year-old boy who weighs 218 pounds into protective custody unless his mother improves his diet, officials said Monday.

Social service officials will meet with family members Tuesday to discuss the health of Connor McCreaddie, who weighs more than three times the average for his age.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/02/26/PH2007022600804.jpg
Connor McCreaddie right aged 8 who weighs 218 pounds (99 kilograms) and his mother Nicola McKeown, left, outside their home in Wallsend, 300 miles (480 kilometers) north of London, England, Monday Feb. 26, 2007. Connor who weighs more than three times the average for his age, could be taken into protective custody away from his mother for his own benefit. An unnamed health official was quoted as telling a newspaper that the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.(AP Photo/Scott Heppell) (Scott Heppell - AP)

"The worst case would be Connor getting taken into care. He is well cared for," the boy's mother, Nicola McKeown, told ITV television.

A spokeswoman for health officials in Wallsend, North Tyneside, 300 miles north of London, said the hearing was part of a process that could eventually lead to Connor being taken into protective care. She declined to comment further.

The health agencies organizing the meeting said they "have been working with the family over a prolonged period of time and will continue to do so."

Officials would not say whether Connor suffered from a medical condition that led to his obesity, citing privacy issues.

An unidentified health official was quoted as telling The Sunday Times that taking custody of Connor would be a last resort, but said the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.

"Child abuse is not just about hitting your children or sexually abusing them, it is also about neglect," the official was quoted as saying.

Dr. Colin Waine, the director of the National Obesity Forum in Nottingham, England, called Connor's lifestyle "extremely dangerous," adding he is at risk of developing diabetes in his early teens, and cardiovascular and nervous system problems in his 20s.

"He's really at risk of dying by the time he's 30," Waine said.

Dr. Michael Markiewicz, a pediatrician, agreed.

"I'm not saying they can't care for him, but what they are doing is through the way they are treating him and feeding him, they are slowly killing him," he said.

Connor's case attracted national attention after his mother allowed an ITV News crew to film his day-to-day life over the course of a month.

Connor's mother said he steals and hides food, frustrating her efforts to help him. He eats double or triple what a normal seven-year-old would have, she said.

"If I didn't give him enough at teatime then he would just go on at us all night for snacks and stuff," she told ITV.

Connor, who lives with his mother and sister, has difficulty dressing and washing himself, misses school regularly because of poor health, and is targeted by bullies.

"People pick on us because of my weight. They call us fat. It makes us feel sick of the nutters always shouting at us," Connor told ITV.

Even though this is happening in England, this could be anywhere in the world. Personally, I think this is abuse and the child should be taken away. If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.

There really is no excuse for a child of 8 years old to be this overweight. He looks to be at least 12 or 13 years old.

Chris

The Bus
02-26-07, 06:32 PM
The British government is just saving Hansel in the above pictured case. Had they acted sooner, his sister would still be alive.

NotThatGuy
02-26-07, 06:38 PM
I don't see a problem with it.

-p

kvrdave
02-26-07, 06:40 PM
I have seen a show on this case. The boy has a disease where he cannot tell he is full. Unchecked, he could easily eat himself to death. Not death from obesity, but death from one fatal buffet sitting because he doesn't stop eating.

So, it is kind of a misrepresentation to say that they are taking him away for being obese. They are taking him away because the mom can't control him breaking the locks on the cabinets that have the food in them (that was the actual problem, as I recall).

Jason
02-26-07, 06:51 PM
Just for curiosity, how heavy should an 8 year old boy be?

kvrdave
02-26-07, 06:57 PM
My son is almost 8, in the second grade, and taller than all but two 4th graders. He is about 85 poiunds.

nazz
02-26-07, 07:09 PM
The article makes it sound like the mother doesn't make the effort to help him. She refuses to show up for counseling and medical appointments and overfeeds him because he'll nag her if he doesn't. Based on that information it sounds like she's unfit to care for him properly. Putting locks on the cabinets does sound like an effort though. She needs the professional guidance to handle the situation and refusal to cooperate would justify removing him from her care.

Mordred
02-26-07, 07:11 PM
I have seen a show on this case. The boy has a disease where he cannot tell he is full. Unchecked, he could easily eat himself to death. Not death from obesity, but death from one fatal buffet sitting because he doesn't stop eating.That was the plot of a CSI episode last year where a guy was chained to his chair to keep him from eating.

kvrdave
02-26-07, 07:19 PM
That was the plot of a CSI episode last year where a guy was chained to his chair to keep him from eating.

:lol: It was right around Thanksgiving, as I recall. That is the same thing this boy has, iirc.

stevevt
02-26-07, 07:38 PM
My son is almost 8, in the second grade, and taller than all but two 4th graders. He is about 85 pounds.

There's a joke in here somewhere that plays on the fact that pounds = money in England. I'm imagining a Photochop where the kid has 85 pounds in his hands and makes an offer on your son, and it's somehow made clear that he intends to eat him.

Cosmosguy
02-26-07, 07:46 PM
So are they going to start placing teenage girls with anorexia in protective custody if their parents can't make them eat? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

DVD Polizei
02-26-07, 07:49 PM
That is one HARD lookin' woman.

jfoobar
02-26-07, 07:57 PM
So are they going to start placing teenage girls with anorexia in protective custody if their parents can't make them eat? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

Yup, pretty much. On paper, it makes some sense. However, this sort of thing, if actually put into practice, sounds like a symptom of an America that has lost its last grasp on the concept of liberty.

Perhaps if government could show some reasonable self-restraint and restrict involvement to only the most extreme cases...but that won't happen.

SamDVDCompare
02-26-07, 08:03 PM
I live in the UK and just watched a 30 minute TV special about this family a few years ago. The kid can eat, but his mother has done nothing to stop him and blaming it on the authorities is just as irresponsible. Whilst I believe she is an extremely poor parent however, I really don't think that putting an 8 year old kid into care is going to help matters. Instead of being an eight year old fatty, he will become an eight year old fatty who hates the world.

OldDude
02-26-07, 08:07 PM
Yup, pretty much. On paper, it makes some sense. However, this sort of thing, if actually put into practice, sounds like a symptom of an America that has lost its last grasp on the concept of liberty.

Or, in this particular case, Britain.

No doubt, if taken away from their parents and thrown into "the system" these children can thrive, and grow up to be serial killers.

The kid will be booted from foster home to foster home due to the behavioral problems, and turn out even more fucked up than if left with his parents. At least, that's my prediction.

FantasticVSDoom
02-26-07, 08:37 PM
The boy obviously has Prader-Willi Syndrome, which also means he has mental retardation (which can range from moderate to severe) and quite possibly other serious medical conditions such as seizure disorder, autism, and even severe behavioral issues. Im sure its just not the fact that he is obese. He wont go to a foster home per se (Im not sure how it is in Britian) but here in NY for example he would be part of a community agency where the family would be an integral part of his support and care.

CreamyGoodness
02-26-07, 09:11 PM
Even though this is happening in England, this could be anywhere in the world. Personally, I think this is abuse and the child should be taken away. If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.

So, being different means that it's ok for a bully to kill him? :wtf:

I live in the UK and just watched a 30 minute TV special about this family a few years ago. The kid can eat, but his mother has done nothing to stop him and blaming it on the authorities is just as irresponsible. Whilst I believe she is an extremely poor parent however, I really don't think that putting an 8 year old kid into care is going to help matters. Instead of being an eight year old fatty, he will become an eight year old fatty who hates the world.

His hatred of the world will probably be partly based on people calling him 'fatty'.

Off the top of my head, I would say that if we get to a point where kids can be removed from their homes for being too fat, then we also have to remove kids in these situations --

If the parents smoke (second hand smoke and passing the addiction to the kid).
If the parents drink (passing the addiction to the kid, and people who drink are statistically more prone to violence).
If the parents are too poor.
It the family lives in an economically depressed area (with high crime rates).

Funny thing is, as crazy as this sounds, I can see someone making those arguments.

resinrats
02-26-07, 09:22 PM
If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.

Wouldn't it be him doing the bulling? Threaten to sit on them or crush them up against stuff.

I don't see where the kid is putting all those pounds. Yes, he looks fat but not 200+ fat.

dadaluholla
02-26-07, 09:37 PM
So, being different means that it's ok for a bully to kill him?

Only if he plans on eating him after killing him. That would be a lot of good meat going to waste.

Lee Harvey Oswald
02-26-07, 09:46 PM
Yes, if the parents don't make an improvement. Especially, if the parents are buying their kids big macs four times a day or something like that.

mrpayroll
02-26-07, 11:24 PM
So, being different means that it's ok for a bully to kill him? :wtf:

Welcome CreamyGoodness to the Other, I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm condoning violence against a kid. I hate bullies, gang members, anyone that preys on the weak and this kid is weak.

Chris

kvrdave
02-26-07, 11:29 PM
Yes, if the parents don't make an improvement. Especially, if the parents are buying their kids big macs four times a day or something like that.

I think it is time for the government to make a parental handbook so that everyone knows under what circumstances their children can be taken away, and what will constitute adequate improvement in all other areas.

mrpayroll
02-26-07, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't it be him doing the bulling? Threaten to sit on them or crush them up against stuff.

I don't see where the kid is putting all those pounds. Yes, he looks fat but not 200+ fat.

He looks to be at least 4' 8" and if his weight is evenly distributed on his body, it wouldn't stand out.

Chris

Fok
02-27-07, 12:24 AM
it should be done,the mother is basically killing the kid

kvrdave
02-27-07, 01:16 AM
What the hell is the point of having kids if we don't have that right, I say.

Joe Molotov
02-27-07, 01:38 AM

Yeah, I can't believe America is making Britan take that boy away from his parents. America is really out of control!

jfoobar
02-27-07, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I can't believe America is making Britan take that boy away from his parents. America is really out of control!

I believe I was responding to the question asked by the thread topic, not responding to the merits of this particular case.

I could be wrong though. You'd know better than I.

CreamyGoodness
02-27-07, 08:14 AM
Welcome CreamyGoodness to the Other, I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm condoning violence against a kid. I hate bullies, gang members, anyone that preys on the weak and this kid is weak.

Chris

Well, it is a shame that we live in a world where we have to conform in order to NOT get preyed on.

I get what you're saying now. Apologies. :flowers:

Iron Chef
02-27-07, 08:52 AM
this woman is allowed to breed, have children and make them fat

My wife and I can't have children, and we are the ones that get scrutinized because we want to be considered by the state for adoption.

Tracer Bullet
02-27-07, 08:56 AM

This is the first sensible thing you've ever posted. :thumbsup:

Seeker
02-27-07, 09:01 AM
this woman is allowed to breed, have children and make them fat

My wife and I can't have children, and we are the ones that get scrutinized because we want to be considered by the state for adoption.

yep.

RunBandoRun
02-27-07, 09:06 AM
When I was ten years old, I weighed 91 pounds and was considered overweight. :lol: This kid puts me to shame. I shouldn't laugh, though, because I know all too well the ostracism and pain that can accompany being overweight.

This woman is no different from any parent who can't control a child. Some kids roam around vandalizing or stealing; this kid eats. While I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of taking him away from her, it DOES appear that something's go to give here, or this kid is going to literally eat himself to death.

Minor Threat
02-27-07, 09:07 AM
I think it is time for the government to make a parental handbook so that everyone knows under what circumstances their children can be taken away, and what will constitute adequate improvement in all other areas.

I think that's clearly detailed in "Mein Kampf".....

nazz
02-27-07, 09:19 AM

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

http://interaktiv.vg.no/filmextra/bilder/personer/bill_cosby.jpg

satellite
02-27-07, 09:19 AM

No, no, no - we need to harvest all of the eggs at birth and require licensing for all people who want to become parents.

RunBandoRun
02-27-07, 09:20 AM
"I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

http://interaktiv.vg.no/filmextra/bilder/personer/bill_cosby.jpg

"And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one that looks just like ya."

:D

dork
02-27-07, 09:28 AM
Yeah, so the slippery slope argument doesn't work any better here than it usually does. "What? They're going to take my kids away from me because I like to whale on them with a brick? OMG, next they'll be coming for parents who spank! POLICE STATE!!!!111"

kvrdave
02-27-07, 10:30 AM
This is the first sensible thing you've ever posted. :thumbsup:

Ever?

You're one of those "warp drive without inertial damperners" types, aren't you? :grunt:

mrpayroll
02-27-07, 10:55 AM

Will you be my daddy?

Chris

Nazgul
02-27-07, 10:59 AM
Huh?

I thought only American kids were fat?

RunBandoRun
02-27-07, 11:03 AM
Huh?

I thought only American kids were fat?

This reminds me of when I was in Heathrow Airport with a British friend. We were eating breakfast together before my flight and saw a huge, sloppy looking woman herding her kids toward the concourse. My friend said, "She must be an American. British women don't let themselves go like that."

I gritted my teeth and said nothing, determined to be polite, until we heard the "must be an American" woman yelling at her kids in an unmistakably British accent. My friend gulped and said nothing. It was one of those moments to cherish. :D

mrpayroll
02-27-07, 11:16 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070227/ts_nm/britain_obese_boy_dc

UK childcare workers may remove obese boy from home

30 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - British social workers will meet an eight-year-old boy who weighs almost 200 pounds (91 kg) on Tuesday to decide whether he should be taken away from his mother after she refused to stop feeding him junk food.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070227/2007_02_27t104945_303x450_us_britain_obese_boy.jpg?x=232&y=345&sig=FerjGAeSqwrHWVmyvuI0Xg--
Connor McCreaddie (L), eight, and his mother Nicola McKeown pose for photographers outside their home in Wallsend, northern England February 26, 2007. (Nigel Roddis/Reuters)

Connor McCreaddie's mother said on Monday her 196-pound son refuses to eat fruits and vegetables, but rejected suggestions she put a lock on the fridge.

Connor and mother Nicola McKeown will appear at a child protection conference organized with their local government authority in northeastern England.

Social workers might take the decision to put him into care against the will of his single mother, who suffers from depression. She has appealed to allow her to keep Connor, dismissing allegations that he has been neglected.

"Taking him away from his family when he needs them to help him would be, I think, disastrous for Connor. I think it would make him worse," she said.

With studies showing Britain has the worst rate of obesity among children in Europe, the country's media regulator plans to ban television advertising for junk food aimed at school-age children from next year.

Connor, from Wallsend, Newcastle, is four times the healthy weight of his peers and was even heavier before Christmas, prompting his 35-year-old mother to seek help.

He lost weight following advice from health workers and a dietician at the start of the year.

Local authorities have issued a statement saying they worry about the schoolboy's health.

And responding to Vibiana's comments regarding kids that steal or vandalize. Kids that do that are doing something that is wrong. This obese kid and his mom are powerless to get him the help he needs.

He needs to be taken away for awhile and I hope his mom realizes that this is being done to save his life. After he loses enough weight and is able to understand that he has a problem and can deal with it, then put them back together.

But I wonder if his mother is the reason for his obesity and he will revert back to his old ways?

Chris

mrpayroll
02-27-07, 11:19 AM
Regarding the above photo where it says that he is now 196 lbs. I'm 196 lbs and 6' 1 1/2" and according to the US government I'm considered obese. Go figure!

Chris

RunBandoRun
02-27-07, 11:22 AM
And responding to Vibiana's comments regarding kids that steal or vandalize. Kids that do that are doing something that is wrong. This obese kid and his mom are powerless to get him the help he needs.

Chris: I certainly didn't mean to imply that overeating is "wrong" in the same way that vandalizing or stealing is. If it was, I would be on Death Row right now. :lol:

But it IS a control issue between the parent and child, and I think that THIS is what needs to be addressed. The kid's eating is a SYMPTOM of the problem.

I have a strong family history of obesity, and maybe I'd have been fat anyway, no matter what my mother and father did. I just know that part of the problems I had in childhood WERE related to the way my parents talked to me, about me, and their own weight problems.

Fincher Fan
02-27-07, 01:13 PM
He's allowed to stay with his mother.

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British social workers have decided to allow an eight-year-old boy who weighs almost 200 pounds (91 kilograms) to remain at home with his mother, who has refused to stop feeding him junk food.

Connor McCreaddie's mother says her 14-stone (196-pound) son will not eat healthy food like fruits and vegetables and had rejected a suggestion that she put a lock on the fridge.

Social workers had considered taking the boy into care. His plight has prompted intense media interest in a country increasingly concerned about rising child obesity levels.

But after a meeting with Connor and his mother Nicola McKeown, 35, the local council in North Tyneside in northeastern England said he would remain at home.

"We have had a useful discussion today during which all agencies and the family confirmed that the priority in this matter is the eight-year-old boy," the council said in a statement Tuesday.

"The Local Safeguarding Children Board was able to confirm that its hope and ambition is to enable this child to remain with his family."

The council said it had made a formal agreement with the family "to safeguard and promote the child's welfare". It gave no further details.

Single mother McKeown, 35, who suffers from depression, had dismissed allegations she had been neglecting her son, who is four times the healthy weight of same-age children and was even heavier before Christmas.

Connor, from Wallsend, Newcastle, has lost one-and-a-half stone since the start of the year after his mother sought advice from health workers and a dietician.

With studies showing Britain has the worst rate of obesity among children in Europe, the country's media regulator plans to ban television advertising for junk food aimed at school-age children from next year.

British social workers have decided to let boy, 8, who weighs almost 200 pounds (91 kilograms) to remain at home with his mother.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/27/obese.child.reut/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

mrpayroll
02-27-07, 01:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070227/wl_nm/britain_obese_boy_dc

Obese British boy to stay with family
29 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - British social workers decided on Tuesday to allow an eight-year-old boy who weighs almost 200 lb (90 kg) to remain at home with his mother, even though she has refused to stop feeding him junk food.

Connor McCreaddie's mother says her 196-lb (89 kg) son will not eat healthy food like fruits and vegetables and had rejected a suggestion that she put a lock on the fridge.

Social workers had considered taking the boy into care. His plight has prompted intense media interest in a country increasingly concerned about rising child obesity levels.

But after a meeting with Connor and his mother Nicola McKeown, 35, the local council in North Tyneside in northeastern England said he would remain at home.

"We have had a useful discussion today during which all agencies and the family confirmed that the priority in this matter is the eight-year-old boy," the council said in a statement.

"The Local Safeguarding Children Board was able to confirm that its hope and ambition is to enable this child to remain with his family."

The council said it had made a formal agreement with the family "to safeguard and promote the child's welfare." It gave no further details.

Single mother McKeown, 35, who suffers from depression, had dismissed allegations she had been neglecting her son, who is four times the healthy weight of same-age children and was even heavier at 218 lb (99 kg) before Christmas.

Connor, from Wallsend, Newcastle, has lost one-and-a-half stone since the start of the year after his mother sought advice from health workers and a dietician.

Oh well, we'll see what happens to the kid.

And Vibiana, I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of obese children come from parents who they themselves are obese. It's probably a combination of genes and home environment that allow children to become obese. :D

Chris

jdodd
02-27-07, 01:22 PM
Why is 'obese' in those single quotes in the thread title?

mrpayroll
02-27-07, 01:24 PM
Why is 'obese' in those single quotes in the thread title?

I don't know why I did that.

Maybe to highlight an excessive case of obesity, which this case is, and not one in which the government thinks I'm obese! ;)

Chris

Joe Molotov
02-27-07, 04:19 PM
I believe I was responding to the question asked by the thread topic, not responding to the merits of this particular case.

I could be wrong though. You'd know better than I.

You are. Sorry to have to break it to you. :(

kvrdave
02-27-07, 04:48 PM
Holy cow, she is 35 years old? I was guessing closer to 55.