NBC's improv comedy challenge series "Thank God You're Here" starts April 9th

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC's improv comedy challenge series "Thank God You're Here" starts April 9th

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20070226nbc02

[02.26.07 - 12:10 PM]

Released by NBC
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC'S NEW IMPROV COMEDY SERIES 'THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE' --TELEVISION'S MOST DANGEROUS NEW COMEDY CHALLENGE -- PREMIERES MONDAY, APRIL 9 AND APRIL 16 BEFORE RESUMING IN REGULAR DAY AND TIME ON WEDNESDAYS BEGINNING APRIL 18 (8-9 P.M.)

Guest Stars Who Dare to Try Improv Include Jennifer Coolidge, Bryan Cranston, Joel McHale, Tom Arnold, Fran Drescher, Fred Willard, Nicole Sullivan, Tom Green, Chelsea Handler, George Takei, Shannon Elizabeth, Paul Rodriguez, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mo'Nique, Alanis Morrisette, Former "Seinfeld" Stars Jason Alexander and Wayne Knight, and Ana Gasteyer of "Saturday Night Live"

BURBANK February 26, 2007 -- NBC's new improv comedy challenge series "Thank God You're Here" hosted by David Alan Grier ("In Living Color") alongside presiding improv judge Dave Foley ("NewsRadio") -- will premiere on Monday, April 9 (9-10 p.m. ET) and Monday, April 16 (9-10 p.m. ET), preceded by "Deal or No Deal" (8-9 p.m. ET). The wildly unpredictable series will then resume in its regular day and time on Wednesday, April 18 (8-9 p.m. ET).

From the producers of "American Idol," the series originated in Australia, and continues to be Australia's #1 hit for the past two years. "Thank God You're Here" showcases the improvisational skills of a group of four different brave actors each week as they walk into the high-wire act known as improv each one entering into a live sketch without a net or script -- their only armor and motivation is an unforeseen and unexplained wardrobe change.

The only thing the celebrity can count on when walking into the scenario is a desperate greeting from a fellow actor in the skit, proclaiming upon their arrival, "Thank God You're Here!" This is the only show on television that gives the performers costumes, sets and propsbut no script! Taped in front of a live audience, the series' pilot episode features Jennifer Coolidge ("For Your Consideration," "Best in Show"), Bryan Cranston ("Malcolm in the Middle"), Joel McHale (E! Entertainment's "The Soup") and Wayne Knight ("Seinfeld").

Other guest stars trying their hand at improv in subsequent episodes include Fred Willard, Tom Arnold, Fran Drescher, Tom Green, Chelsea Handler, George Takei (NBC's "Heroes"), Shannon Elizabeth, Paul Rodriguez, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mo'Nique, Angela Kinsey (NBC's "The Office") and Alanis Morrisette. Former "Seinfeld" star Jason Alexander also joins the fun as well as former "Saturday Night Live" star Ana Gasteyer as they both return to NBC.

"Thank God You're Here" is produced by FremantleMedia North America. Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO of FremantleMedia North America ("American Idol"), along with Fax Bahr and Adam Small ("The Jamie Kennedy Experiment," "Mad TV") are executive producers. David Alan Grier is producer.

FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) is a division of global media giant FremantleMedia, one of the largest international creators and producers of program brands in the world. Based in Burbank, California, FMNA currently produces some of the most innovative and highest-rated entertainment on television, including the Emmy-nominated musical/reality phenomenon "American Idol" for Fox, "America's Got Talent" and "Thank God You're Here" for NBC, "American Inventor" for ABC, "The Janet Dickinson Modeling Agency" for Oxygen, "Property Ladder" for TLC, "Monarch Cove" for Lifetime, the daily syndicated "Family Feud", and the longest-running game show in television history, "The Price Is Right" for CBS.

FremantleMedia is the production arm of the RTL Group, Europe's largest television and radio broadcast company. With interests in 34 television channels and 30 radio stations in 11 countries, RTL Group is a division of leading integrated media and entertainment company, Bertelsmann AG.

For further information, visit http://www.fremantlemedia.com.

This might actually turn out to be pretty good. I remember seeing a British series in the 90's that this shows premise is based on. I might give it a try.

Chris
Old 02-26-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
That is the name of the show? If so, it sucks.
Old 02-26-07, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Who's line is it anyway?
Old 02-26-07, 04:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
That is the name of the show? If so, it sucks.
They're probably hoping it will catch on as a catchphrase, since it seems that line will be uttered in every sketch. But I agree it seems like a terrible title as far as pulling in first time viewers.
Old 02-26-07, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
They're probably hoping it will catch on as a catchphrase, since it seems that line will be uttered in every sketch. But I agree it seems like a terrible title as far as pulling in first time viewers.
Well, viewers of TBN might tune in!

Chris
Old 02-26-07, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Are you having a laugh?
Old 02-26-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I think "Thank God It's Over" will become a more popular phrase first.
Old 02-26-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Are you having a laugh?
Is he having a laugh?
Old 02-26-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joel fuckin' McHale? I'm all in regardless of how crappy the name is.
Old 02-27-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What? No Ryan Stiles or Colin Mochrie? No Greg Proops?
Old 02-27-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll watch this. I'm suprised at the "level" of talent in this. Alanis??? She must bored, surely she doesn't NEED this.

Maybe she's part of the production company?

Hopefully Jennifer Coolidge's skit will involve bikinis. MILF! MILF! MILF!