Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Wain's "The Ten" - 8/3/07

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-25-07, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Directed by
David Wain

Writing credits
Ken Marino
David Wain

Starring
Jessica Alba
Rob Corddry
Paul Rudd
Famke Janssen
Kerri Kenney
Joe Lo Truglio
Ken Marino
Gretchen Mol
Oliver Platt
Winona Ryder
Liev Schreiber
Ron Silver

imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811106/

movie site: http://www.thetenmovie.com/

quicktime trailer: http://www.thetenmovie.com/thetentrailer1.mov

Old 02-25-07, 07:32 PM
Banned

Found this while poking around IMDB today after seeing Reno 911:Miami. I realized during the film that I'm a much bigger fan of the stuff that Wain et al have done since The State than the stuff that Lennon and Garant have done. After seeing the cast David lined up for this film, it immediately jumped to the top of my most anticipated film list for 2007.

Looks like it's going to be screened at SXSW this month. Lucky bastards in Austin.
Old 04-04-07, 10:06 AM
Banned

THIS THURSDAY, APRIL 5:
Philadelphia Film Festival
Opening Night Film! (David Wain & Paul Rudd in person)

and coming up:
Sonoma Valley Film Festival April 11-15 (Ken Marino & David Wain in person)
Sarasota Film Festival April 14 @ 7:15pm & April 15 @ 6:30pm
Independent Film Festival of Boston April 25-30
Indianapolis Film Festival April 27 @ 9:45pm & April 29 @ 9:45pm
Berkshire Int'l Film Fest May 18
Old 04-04-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice. Looks like a good movie. Doubt I will actually catch it in the theaters (I don't see much nowadays), but I'll probably buy this on DVD to help support the old State members.

OT: Any info on a STATE DVD anytime soon???
Old 04-05-07, 09:16 AM
Banned

Would it be pathetic to leave work after a half day and drive to Philly to see a movie tonight?

Yeah, it probably would.
Old 04-05-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely not! In fact, I'd say anyone with the means should go and it is their duty to report back to us. You'll be kicking yourself for the next 4 months if you don't go.
Old 04-05-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Would it be pathetic to leave work after a half day and drive to Philly to see a movie tonight?

Yeah, it probably would.
I was going to try to see it at the Prince tonight, but I had to come home to Harrisburg for a family funeral.

Oh well, I'll check it out in August...
Old 04-05-07, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
HDNet had a bizarre (but funny) interview segment with the director, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd - interested in seeing it now.
Old 04-05-07, 09:27 AM
Banned

Now you guys are making think about this too much.

I DO have work off tomorrow. (Thanks Jesus!)
Old 04-05-07, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
HDNet had a bizarre (but funny) interview segment with the director, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd - interested in seeing it now.
Really? What show? I'd like to watch that.
Old 04-05-07, 09:49 AM
Banned

Looks like it was on "Higher Definition" last week. I hope they replay it!
Old 04-05-07, 12:25 PM
Banned

Here's a mixed review that leaves me even more excited than I was before...

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...ly_Moses_.html

Some Spoilers follow...

Spoiler:
By Steven Rea
Inquirer Movie Critic

"The Ten" is opening the Philadelphia Film Festival. The sketch comedy stars Paul Rudd, Famke Janssen, Winona Ryder and Jessica Alba, among others.

Moses' storied tablets get the sketch-comedy treatment in The Ten, a hit-and-miss omnibus inspired by the Ten Commandments and brought to blasphemous, surreal life by a game troupe that includes Paul Rudd, Famke Janssen, Winona Ryder, Adam Brody, Jessica Alba, Rob Corddry, Gretchen Mol, Justin Theroux and Liev Schreiber.

Directed by David Wain, and written by Wain and Ken Marino - both of the '90s cult comedy gang (and MTV show) the State - The Ten handles its "shalts" and "shalt nots" in profane, irreverent, nutball ways. A poker-faced Rudd, hosting from a bare stage furnished with two giant stones engraved with the biblical decrees, introduces the chapters - and occasionally takes a break to spar with his ex (Janssen) and his giddy new girlfriend (Alba).

First off is "Thou shalt have no other god before me." Its Monty Pythonesque absurdism is typical of the rest: An engaged couple (Brody and Ryder) go skydiving, but he exits the plane without his 'chute. He survives the fall, but is lodged torso-deep in the ground; if he's moved, he'll die. The media swarm, a cult forms, a hit sitcom is built around him (literally), and so on.

Mol stars as a 35-year-old virgin who finally gets deflowered - in lusty romance-novel fashion on a trip to Mexico. Her hunky lover boy's name? Jesus Christ (played by Theroux). The segment? "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain."

One segment is animated (by Aaron Augenblick) and has to do with a lying rhino, a roomful of crack heads, and a pack of dachshunds spreading AIDS; another plays off "the Sabbath day" commandment, showing a guy getting naked with his buddies while his wife and kids are at church.

The "Thy neighbor's wife" bit is set in a prison, where a new prisoner (Corddry) can't keep his eyes off another (male) convict, who's already spoken for. You know where the jokes are going in that one.

A few characters appear in dueling commandments. Ryder, the dismayed fiance in the film's first episode, lets things fly in the "Thou shalt not steal" segment: as a newlywed who falls for a ventriloquist's dummy, the actress displays a heretofore little-seen, and seemingly effortless, comic insanity. Her sloppy, barroom make-out session with the wooden doll is not to be missed.

Is it just coincidence that all this Old Testament stuff is making its way to movie screens right now? The Ten, admittedly, is not Krzysztof Kieslowski's Decalogue. Wain's pieces are just jumping-off points for screwball improv and inspired throwaways. (My favorite: "Thou shalt not commit adultery," in which Rudd's character encounters Janssen's on the street and ever-so-casually drops the fact that he's remarried - to Woody Allen leading lady Diane Wiest.)
Old 04-05-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this at the Cleveland Film Festival and found it really uneven. There are a couple of funny segments but overall I was disappointed. The Paul Rudd joining segments I felt were weak. I am a fan of absurdist humor - but the segment on the lying Rhino was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I did enjoy the ventriloquist and the Oliver Platt segment.
Old 04-05-07, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I saw this at the Cleveland Film Festival...
Well, that's just great that I find out about this now. Cleveland is definitely close enough to drive to see a movie.
Old 08-06-07, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I saw this at the Cleveland Film Festival and found it really uneven. There are a couple of funny segments but overall I was disappointed. The Paul Rudd joining segments I felt were weak. I am a fan of absurdist humor - but the segment on the lying Rhino was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I did enjoy the ventriloquist and the Oliver Platt segment.
Ugh, I kind of agree with you. And after all the expectations I had going in. Don't get me wrong, I think I enjoyed it as a whole. I will definitely give it another chance or two, even in the theatre. I'm sure I know at least one other person who will want to go see it yet.

Weird. There were a small handful of scenes that were REALLY funny, but most of it fell flat.

Stick around for the credits everyone. There's a very short clip at the end, not to mention the song they play during the credits is great.
Old 08-07-07, 08:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree some scenes were funny like the Gretchen Moll story but others like the African American twin story (honor your father and mother) was flat out bizarre.

I'd give it a letter grade of C+, was expecting more.
Old 08-07-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I looking forward to this; it opens at the end of August here in Omaha.