Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

video game rental

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video game rental

are there any places where you can pay per rental of a game?
places like gamefly sucks because you pay a monthly charge and might not even get the game you are interested in if it is always out of stock.

Blockbuster B&M has this. but all their games are always out.
Any other places I can try?
Old 02-24-07, 01:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There really aren't any ideal solutions. I'd be fine with Gamefly if they had something like a 1 out $9.99 a month plan as it would save me money. But I don't really game enough to justify 2 out at a time, much less at $22 or whatever it is now.

The B&M stores like you note have pathetic stock and its tough to find anything remotely new in stock.

So I've just resorted to mainly waiting for games to hit $20-30 and selling/trading on the forum here ones that aren't keepers to try to keep my costs down since I haven't found a good renting option.
Old 02-24-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
There really aren't any ideal solutions. I'd be fine with Gamefly if they had something like a 1 out $9.99 a month plan as it would save me money. But I don't really game enough to justify 2 out at a time, much less at $22 or whatever it is now.
Their 1 out plan is $15 a month.
Old 02-24-07, 02:15 PM
Retired

Still a bit much as I doubt I average $15 a month on games in my yearly spending factoring in selling off/trading games that I beat.
Old 02-25-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how long would you need to wait for popular games like gears of war to become availible?
Old 02-26-07, 06:49 PM

Gamefly makes a lot of sense if you're a serious gamer but can't afford to buy every game you'd like to try out. If you rent at least two per month you're getting a good deal. Sure, there are brick and mortar stores, but they've got zero selection and damaged games. Also don't bother with the smaller rental chains because they too have no selection.

And I just checked the gamefly site for Gears of War and it's "available now" for the xbox360.
Old 02-27-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

with gamefly, is it possible to check the availibility of a game without being an active member ? If i sign up and don't renew my subscription afterwards, will I be able to check a game's availibility?
Old 02-27-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Uhmm... go to the website now and see for yourself?
Old 02-27-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Uhmm... go to the website now and see for yourself?
i did. there is an icon that says "rent it" but doesnt tell u if it is availible.
I'm wondering what info i would get if I subscribed but let my membership expired. would I still have access to its availibiity even if my membership has expired?
Old 02-27-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Then I'm not sure.

See if it is possible to create a log in account there without actually signing up for a rental plan.

Other than that, then I guess we need to wait for a former Gamefly member who still can log in.
Old 05-01-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any codes for Gamefly trial membership other than the standard 2 week deal?
Old 05-02-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can give some info. I had canceled my Gamefly sub last year, and still visited the site...and you can indeed still tell the availability of games.
Old 05-02-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've mentioned before that you can earn $10/mo in Gamefly credits by watching 20, 30 second commercials on Brightspot.tv

http://brightspot.tv

I signed up a few weeks ago and it only took me a few days to earn $10. They already sent the credit to my Gamefly account.

That means my 2 out account costs me about $12 and I only had to spend 10 minutes a month watching commercials.
Old 05-02-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I've mentioned before that you can earn $10/mo in Gamefly credits by watching 20, 30 second commercials on Brightspot.tv

http://brightspot.tv

I signed up a few weeks ago and it only took me a few days to earn $10. They already sent the credit to my Gamefly account.

That means my 2 out account costs me about $12 and I only had to spend 10 minutes a month watching commercials.
any more info on how this works?
Do you just click on a link and let it run in the background or will you need to answer questions or do something to prove that you actually watched it?
how many do you need to watch?
Old 05-02-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster
any more info on how this works?
Do you just click on a link and let it run in the background or will you need to answer questions or do something to prove that you actually watched it?
how many do you need to watch?
You have to answer 3 multiple choice questions. So you definately have to be at your computer. But I can tell you that the website doesn't know if your sound volume is on or if you have another tab open.
Old 05-02-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I should complete the free trial at Gamefly, sign-up for a plan after the free-trial, and then sign-up with brightspot?
Old 05-02-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is also not like the Brightspot questions have much to do with the commercials watched (so it isn't like a quiz). Many times i will watch a Chevy ad and it asks a few general car questions. Then i watch the McDonald's ad and it asks the same exact car questions.

Supposedly they paid the 10$ on my Gamefly membership so i will see when i get my CC bill if Gamefly only charged me the lower price.

Also, if you join Gamefly almost all the games will show up short wait but unlike Netflix they actually ship. With Netflix it seems things are available or have a wait but with Gamefly it is like everything is flagged with a wait whether it is available or not.
Old 05-02-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
It is also not like the Brightspot questions have much to do with the commercials watched (so it isn't like a quiz). Many times i will watch a Chevy ad and it asks a few general car questions. Then i watch the McDonald's ad and it asks the same exact car questions.

Supposedly they paid the 10$ on my Gamefly membership so i will see when i get my CC bill if Gamefly only charged me the lower price.

Also, if you join Gamefly almost all the games will show up short wait but unlike Netflix they actually ship. With Netflix it seems things are available or have a wait but with Gamefly it is like everything is flagged with a wait whether it is available or not.
My Gamefly account acknowledges the $10 credit, but I haven't seen how it's been applied against my bill yet. But you're right about the questions... You're also right about the "short wait" thing. Most of my "short waits" ship.
Old 05-03-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamefly has changed their availability names/descriptions:

Available Now - Game is in stock
High Availability - 75% or greater likelihood of shipping today
Medium Availability - 50% to 74% likelihood of shipping today
Low Availability - 25% to 49% likelihood of shipping today
Very Low Availability - Less than 25% likelihood of shipping today
Old 05-08-07, 10:32 PM

I am currently using Gameznflix and am cancelling this month. The only complaint I have with them is availabilty they have no new releases(movies or games) and I never get items that are ranked high in my queue(old games like FNR 3 and king kong), however their shipping times are amazing.

I just read that Gamefly just officially opened a new distribution center today in Pittsburgh so I am thinking about giving them a try, but being in Florida I am not close to either shipping location. I'm just wary of them because of what I have read about how long it can take to receive a game.

Also, has anyone tried Gottaplay.com they have the same prices as Gamefly and list several distribution centers one in GA which is not far.
Old 05-08-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
http://www.gameznflix.com

Gottaplay shipped 1 game in my 10 day trial (on a 2 out at a time) so I cancelled it.
Old 05-08-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
My Gamefly account acknowledges the $10 credit, but I haven't seen how it's been applied against my bill yet. But you're right about the questions... You're also right about the "short wait" thing. Most of my "short waits" ship.
I checked, my last bill was $12.95 after the $10 credit. Great price for 2/out imo.
Old 05-09-07, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
http://www.gameznflix.com

Gottaplay shipped 1 game in my 10 day trial (on a 2 out at a time) so I cancelled it.
I can not even justify $13 for gameznflix they have no new games or movies they are always on order.

Thanks for the info about gottaplay. I will try gamefly next month i guess.
Old 05-09-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had an OK experience with gameznflix. Got the following games last month - ArmoredCore4,GRAW2,R6LV. Fairly new games. Takes about 2-3 days for them to receive a game and another 2-3 days for them to send another in.
Old 05-09-07, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster
I've had an OK experience with gameznflix. Got the following games last month - ArmoredCore4,GRAW2,R6LV. Fairly new games. Takes about 2-3 days for them to receive a game and another 2-3 days for them to send another in.
My experience with them was fine until recently. Everything I want is "on order" some of the movies and games came out over a month ago. They don't even list Command & Conquer for 360 which came out this week. I do like that they use fast return, usually if I drop something in the mailbox in the morning that night it is shown as returned. I wish Netflix rented games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.