Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Forever

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batman Forever

just caught forever on tv and it seemed like a movie that got better with age. the soundtrack was good too. did anyone like carrey as the riddler? the robin story was still lame.
Old 02-23-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
was just thinking about the batman movies. The riddler was indeed good. still would say it's my third fav batman movie with the 1st keaton movie and the recent one being at the top.
Old 02-23-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Carrey as The Riddler. I'll be so bold as to say this film is better than the follow-up.
Old 02-24-07, 12:16 AM
Banned

This has always been my favorite batman movie. With the great soundtrack, Carrey as The Riddler and I might be flamed for this but I really liked Val Kilmer as Batman.
Old 02-24-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
was just thinking about the batman movies. The riddler was indeed good. still would say it's my third fav batman movie with the 1st keaton movie and the recent one being at the top.
Same here. I thought it was much better than Batman Returns and the horrible, horrible Batman and Robin.
Old 02-24-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I like Carrey's Riddler but HATED Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, he chewed the scenery and was horribly over the top. Just didn't fit my idea of the character at all.
Old 02-24-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
I might be flamed for this but I really liked Val Kilmer as Batman.
I found him to be a great Batman. He made me care about the character of Bruce Wayne more than Keaton did.

Elliot Goldenthal's creative mutation of Danny Elfman's signature Batman theme was just right as well.

When I first saw it, it was because it was so different from the first two - a big screen event-type of movie, fun, colorful and exciting - that I loved it.

As for Batman & Robin, what's that?

When I got the anthology box set I recall it coming with two coasters....
Old 02-24-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Speaking of Kilmer, after watching the DVD special features for all four movies, I had a new found respect for him as he was the only one of the 3 who played Batman to do any new interviews (I can understand why Clooney didn't, though, lol). In those interviews, he seemed to take the material far more serious than anyone else within the production and he seemed to have respect for the character.
Old 02-24-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
This has always been my favorite batman movie. With the great soundtrack, Carrey as The Riddler and I might be flamed for this but I really liked Val Kilmer as Batman.
I too think that this movie, in parts, was very good. TLJ and JC made a farce out of their characters, when two-face is not that type of character. Perhaps if they made TF more serious, then it would have played better.

Kilmer was very good as Batman. Drew Barrymore was impossibly hot as Sugar.
Old 02-24-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robin character blowed major ass.

My main problem with it is that it came off as too goofy, but it had a lot of potential - and I still like the movie. Great actors, great soundtrack.
Old 02-24-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I still have the teaser poster from this.
Old 02-24-07, 08:15 PM
Banned

Nicole Kidman
Old 02-24-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Nicole Kidman
That's a big amen. She always looks good, but looked especially hot in this one.

In fact, I remember when the first posters came out for the movie, she had too much cleavage showing, so they reprinted them with more of her hair draped over. I remember thinking, "Well, jeez, that was the best part of the damn picture!"

Last edited by The_Infidel; 02-24-07 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I like Batman Forever....although it does have some major suck ass things in it. I liked Kilmer as Batman, i liked the characters of both Two Face and the Riddler and thought that both Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey played the parts well (especially Carrey who was the perfect Riddler). I actually liked the change of design to some extent, although i can lose the dayglow shit that Schumacher has a boner for in these films. Also Robin can go. I have never liked the character and Batman stands on his own without him. The soundtrack was good for the movie, especially U2's title track.

Its funny but both Forever and Batman and Robin are structured EXACTLY the same as movies. They both begin by showing the hero(es) gearing up and on their way to catch one of the main villains of the piece. The villain is almost caught, but escapes at the last second. Shortly afterwards we are then introduced to the secondary villain who works for Wayne Corp and who feels betrayed by Bruce Wayne. They then adopt their full villain identity. The villains both meet and agree to take on Batman. Then we are introduced to a new part of the heroes team who is young and wreckless and demonstrates it. The villains plan then goes into full swing. The young wreckless hero becomes a full member of the team. The heroes/villains fight and the film ends in Arkham Asylum showing what happened to any surviving villain. Roles running to camera in fronmt of Bat signal. Credits.

Also you can add in the obligatory Dayglow sequence and also sequence where Batmobile takes a beating.
Old 02-26-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I never understood the bad rap that Batman & Robin gets. Yes, it's a hopeless, cheesy movie. The reason it is that way is because it's a homage to the TV series. C'mon, ice-skating hoodlums? Tilted camera-angles? Bad one-liners?

The only thing missing was the "Zowie!" and "BAM!" effects hitting the screen.

That doesn't make the movie good. Oh no, it doesn't. It's still bad. But I feel it's largely misunderstood.
Old 02-26-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It always bothered me that they called Two-Face "Harvey Two-Face." Plus, I always thought it was cheesy during the circus scene when Bruce Wayne yells "Harvey! I'm Batman!". Not all that important, I know.

More serious flaws were that I don't think the Riddler and Two-Face characters worked very well together. And, as mentioned, the Robin story-line sucked big time nuts.
Old 02-26-07, 10:09 AM

Kilmer doesn't hold a candle to Keaton.
Old 02-26-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It always seemed to me that Two-Face and Riddler were trying to be Joker. Forever still has the best Bruce Wayne & I did like the move a lot more before I saw Batman & Robin & when I watched Forever again, it reminded me too much of B&R, making me hate the movie.
Old 02-26-07, 11:08 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Bale > Keaton > Kilmer > West > Clooney's Bat Nipples
Old 02-26-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I like Carrey's Riddler but HATED Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, he chewed the scenery and was horribly over the top. Just didn't fit my idea of the character at all.
Add the fact I thought Robin was useless and you my friend have nailed it on the head.
Old 02-26-07, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by resinrats
It always seemed to me that Two-Face and Riddler were trying to be Joker. Forever still has the best Bruce Wayne & I did like the move a lot more before I saw Batman & Robin & when I watched Forever again, it reminded me too much of B&R, making me hate the movie.
I thought they got the Joker right, except when they tried to portray the Joker. They have never gotten a villain right until they finally did Ra's Al Ghul, Falcone and Scarecrow.
Originally Posted by Palpadious
Kilmer doesn't hold a candle to Keaton.
This has alway made me pull a big, fat
Let's see. A pudgy, baby faced comedian with the earnest conviction of an bored Albertson's bag boy. That's the Batman I alway imagined. He nailed it.

"Why do you do this?"
"...Because I can."
Wow Batman. Wow.

At least Kilmer started using some kind of agility in the fight scenes, too. Keaton's rock 'em sock 'em robot style was just sad.

And any movie that has the line "Oh No!!! Boiling acid!!!" can't be all bad.

Ultiimately I will never see any of the films from that run again, but this is the one that I hated the least.
Old 02-26-07, 12:04 PM

superman, batman, superman, batman,superman, batman. hopefully dc can give us some other movies about thier other heroes than these 2. at least Marvel does more than x-men and spiderman.
Old 02-26-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Bale > Keaton > Kilmer > West > Clooney's Bat Nipples
You cannot include West in this. The 60s Batman was purposefully farcical. For what it's intended purpose was, he was great.
Old 02-26-07, 01:49 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You cannot include West in this. The 60s Batman was purposefully farcical. For what it's intended purpose was, he was great.
Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are equally as farcical in my book. But hell, I'll do yah one better:

Bale > Keaton > Bartram > Kilmer > West > Clooney
Old 02-26-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I lilked Val Kilmer, even better than Keaton, but his character was under-written.

Nicole Kidman was drop-dead gorgeous, but didn't care for her character.

Carrey was okay as the Riddler, but his origin, gimmicks, and riddles themselves were lame.

I've never seen any actor ham it up so badly as Tommy Lee Jones did with Two-Face. That is, until I saw Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy.

Chris O' Donnell is a good actor, but the characterization of Robin was off. I found it hilarious when he broke down and whimpered when confronting Batman after he took a joy-ride in the Batmobile

The plot was awful. The Riddler invents a device which alter people's minds and perceptions and legitimately make him billions of bucks, and all he's interested in is obtaining ATM passwords.

The scene were Two-Face teaches Riddler to punch someone was ridiculous.

Overall, it was a bit more interesting than BATMAN RETURNS, but not nearly as catastrophic as BATMAN AND ROBIN.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.