DVD Talk
Interesting Thread on Highland Park, MI - Anyone Ever Been There? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Interesting Thread on Highland Park, MI - Anyone Ever Been There?

shifrbv
02-23-07, 11:09 AM
I was shocked that this place exists and that it's so creepy. It looks like a place frozen in time. It also seems extremely sad that such a place full of promise is now reduced to this.

**WARNING - Some pictures in the link are pretty graphic and may not be suitable for those who may be viewing this while at work. **

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8752

So...Highland Park is (ahem--WAS) an independent city within Detroit, and once upon a time a beautiful center of human achievement, largely driven by Henry Ford's philanthropic efforts in civic planning, etc, and his newly built Model-T Plant, the most gigantic, state of the art factory in the world at that time. It was here that the Assembly Line was perfected, and the “$5 day,” thus changing the industrial world, and the world of labor as we know it forever. If you ever wondered why the standard workday is 8hrs long…it’s because Henry Ford said so. This is also the site of the world’s first expressway, “The Davison,” or M-8. Highland Park might've easily been America's most promising city, with flourishing, highly affluent neighborhoods and institutions.

Today, however, it is America’s most destroyed city, and those neighborhoods have been mostly erased by arson and swallowed by vegetation.

It’s some kind of apocalyptic, post-nuclear, post-Robocop sort of surreality. I couldn’t help but feel like I was in a scene from HG Well’s “The Time Machine”…or “Omega Man”…or “28 Days Later”…or any other movie about the final collapse of civilization. The deserted streets, the detritus, the farm country-like silence…the foreboding congregation of dark, hollow skyscrapers to the south…. Probly the only place in the world that could be creepier would have to be Chernobyl. It felt like we were in some kind of video game like “Resident Evil.”

aerobson
02-23-07, 11:21 AM
Yup, unfortunately, it's as nice as the pictures. Located right in the middle of beautiful downtown Detroit.:sarcasm:

I used to work right down the street from the Highland Park city limits. There are normal areas of the city, but it's basically just a run down forgotten area. I've given some presentations in the high school. If I remember correctly, the school had a giant polar bear statue. That might be their mascot. It was more of a holding cell rather than a high school. Sad really.

al_bundy
02-23-07, 11:22 AM
it's toyota's fault

and it seems like detroit's government is a bunch of morons

reverie
02-23-07, 12:43 PM
I've heard of it plenty, but never been near it in my handful of years living maybe 45 minutes from there. Really interesting, and if I wouldn't fear for my life, it looks like a place I'd have loved to explore as a kid (It's harder to do those sorts of things as an adult, instead of mischevious fun/exploration, it suddenly becomes trespassing and trouble with the police ;) ).

Fielding Mellish
02-23-07, 01:34 PM
Just drove through there on Tuesday.

Guess I should've stopped by for some free live ammunition.

Fincher Fan
02-23-07, 02:34 PM
Looks creepy. What happened to it? Is it overrun with gangs or something?

aerobson
02-23-07, 02:41 PM
It's abandoned. No gangs, but probably lots of drug dealers and vagrants. The city tried running itself independently from Detroit. It's like an island within the city limits of Detroit. They were basically mismanaged and ran out of money. All of the city service buildings you see there were just abandoned when the money ran out. I believe that most of the necessary functions have been taken over by Detroit.

MANBREASTS
02-23-07, 07:26 PM
Highland Park should rent out it's city to hollywood to shoot horror movies.

AGuyNamedMike
02-23-07, 07:43 PM
Something tells me this individual is going to show up in some Otter photochops soon.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5260/arseniodp0.jpg

Pikul
02-23-07, 09:57 PM
Is that Nona Hendryx?

A list of famous people from Highland Park:

Tim Meadows

jonw9
02-23-07, 11:34 PM
Don't forget the Ghostly City Beneath the City!! (http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=17&category=business)

king slug
02-24-07, 12:07 AM
It's Detroit, what do you expect?

Remember Boblo Island though? I miss that place. :(

auto
02-24-07, 09:15 AM
It's Detroit, what do you expect?

Remember Boblo Island though? I miss that place. :(

haha....me too. I would love to see some pic of Boblo Island. That place was run down 20 years ago.

OldDude
02-24-07, 11:21 AM
haha....me too. I would love to see some pic of Boblo Island. That place was run down 20 years ago.

It was sold to a developer. The amusement park is all torn down, removed, and the whole island is VERY expensive homes. I've seen a few pictures, but never been there (since it was redeveloped) as it is WAY out of my price range.

HistoryProf
02-25-07, 03:43 PM
FYI: 8 mile (of eminem fame) is the northern border of Highland Park. and yes, the "city" is a shithole of frightening proportions. I went to a concert at the state fairgrounds that are in the middle of it and feared for my life the entire time.

Groucho
02-25-07, 03:52 PM
Wow. The Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park%2C_Michigan) on the subject doesn't talk about this at all. Indeed, here's the one and only photo they have:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/980/hpcraftsmanmossps5.jpg

:hscratch:

Brain Stew
02-25-07, 04:00 PM
Kinda like Centralia, PA. They had an underground mine fire and now it is a ghost town.

iggystar
02-25-07, 07:51 PM
Man do I miss Boblo, that place used to be so much fun!!!!

The actual article won't come up for me.....

Someone feared for their life at the State Fair? LOL! Which is not in Highland Park by the way. And Highland Park is not in downtown Detroit either. You suburbanites need to stop commenting on a place you pass through once in blue moon. :)

It's a place that has seen much better days, but there isn't a ghost town quality, I don't feel like I'm an extra in 28 Days Later when I shop or travel through there, because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks). As a matter fact a there have been quite a few new stores which just opened. It's located just south of a really expensive and exclusive neighborhood called Palmer Woods.

Sorry, it's not as depressing as you might want to make of it.

crazyronin
02-25-07, 08:03 PM
C.H.U.D.s need a place to live too.

OldDude
02-25-07, 08:26 PM
FYI: 8 mile (of eminem fame) is the northern border of Highland Park. and yes, the "city" is a shithole of frightening proportions. I went to a concert at the state fairgrounds that are in the middle of it and feared for my life the entire time.

No. 6 Mile (McNichols) is the northern boundary. The Fairgrounds and 8 Mile are all part of Detroit. Detroit totally surrounds Highland Park. Actually, from 6 Mile to 8 mile isn't all that bad. Detroit, south of Highland Park, in my estimation is about the same, not much better, not much worse than Highland Park.

But iggystar is right, I don't pass through there much (also right that Palmer Woods is a MUCH nicer area.)

Heat
02-26-07, 01:04 AM
I was born about fifteen miles from there and spent 3+ years in the area. I really don't remember if I was ever driven through Highland Park though.

shifrbv
02-26-07, 10:51 AM

because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks).

I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.

OldDude
02-26-07, 11:47 AM
[I] I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.

That describes Detroit about as well as Highland Park.

jonw9
02-26-07, 11:49 AM
That describes Michigan about as well as Highland Park.

Fixed!

iggystar
02-26-07, 06:59 PM

because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks).

I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.

A state of the art automobile factory that has been gone since before I (or my mother) could remember...you cannot miss what you personally never had!

These businesses exist, they might not be high post, but to paint this city as some Road Warrior wasteland is simply inaccurate. It's a struggling little city, but it's not a ghost town and it's a place to shop, it's not as depressing to me. Sorry it doesn't have an Ambercrombie & Fitch located next to the Starbucks.

OldDude
02-26-07, 07:21 PM

That auto plant was state of the art in 1910, when it opened. It was too small and obsolete when Ford moved auto production to the Rouge complex in the late 1920's. It has had some minor uses since then, but is currently used to store archived records for Ford and archived objects for Greenfield Village & Henry Ford Museum.

It hasn't produced anything since before I was a kid (mid-1950's)