Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I bought Nintendo DS lite (onyx)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought Nintendo DS lite (onyx)

Continuing from the other thread:

I only purchased one game, and that was Brain Age, Metroid was sold out, however I possibly might run out tonight and pick it up.

Ok so I understand I can connect via wireless routers? Do I need additional hardware? Or can I connect via my wireless network at home? How powerful is the wifi built in? Mayeb I can get some service at work? I have not even experimented with this option yet.

Games: I am liking the Zelda due out in March. A lot of games were sold out where I went (Target, Best Buy, and Kids R Us). I plan on purchasing Metroid, any other must haves?

The system seems pretty basic, there was not a whole lot you can do minus the game in the system. The pictochat seems pretty useless, and I was hoping for at least a scheduler of some sort included in the basic software. Since I bought this system totally at random I am not disappointed and it will keep me occupied at work esp. during night shifts

Oh, and I almost forgot I used to be pretty tech savy and very up to speed on gaming systems such as Commodore gaming computer, Atari, Action Max, NES, Sega genesis, Super Nintendo, and more recently N64. I am only 26 and feel light years behind. I am always shocked when I discover something that I did not know about, especially when my 12 yr old nephew points it out to me, hehe. So that in mind please feel free to state the obvious . Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by M2theAX; 02-22-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what type of games are you into

Metroid is NICE online, but the friggin jerks quit, so I wouldn't get too worried about rating on there

my DS works perfect with my Linksys router
Old 02-22-07, 03:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metroid sucks IMO, and the series is one of my favorites. The DS one is just a turd though, so I'd say stay away from it.

I'd recommend New Super Mario Bros as a great second game to pick up.
Old 02-22-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also of note, regarding the Wireless, you can only set it up on your DS when you purchase a game that is WiFi enabled. Also, it does support WEP, but not WPA as far as wireless encryption. A fun WiFi game to purchase if you aren't into FPS is Mario Kart for racing and Castlevania:POR if you are into the metroidvania games.
Old 02-22-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

eh, i thought the controls were bloody brilliant

the 1p mode just got a little bland after 8 hours.

NSMB seemed like a waste after I beat it right away. I do love the mario vs. luigi mode, but finding people to play can be a challenge
Old 02-22-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hotel Dusk is a must in my opinion, but the game isn't for everyone. I would also suggest Mario Kart & new super mario bros
Old 02-22-07, 03:56 PM
Suspended

New Super Mario Bros, Phoenix Wright, and Trauma Center are the must haves so far. There are several others that I could throw on there.

Oh, and I would take a look at the Recommend me some DS games thread that is still on the front page. Great recommendations there.
Old 02-22-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are a fan of the Final Fantasy games from your NES and SNES gaming days, FFIII while $5 more expensive than most releases is an excellent old school RPG with a little higher degree of difficulty than past releases.
Old 02-22-07, 04:45 PM

Both of the Castlevania games are awesome. And for a puzzle game pick up either Meteos or Tetris DS. After you buy New Super Mario Bros. that is.
Old 02-22-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are looking for some great games that feature wifi modes, I recommend:

Tetris DS
Metroid Prime Hunters
Clubhouse Games
Mario Kart

As for other games I recommend:

New Super Mario Bros.
Big Brain Academy
Elite Beat Agents
Old 02-22-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, rent or borrow Elite Beat before buying. I'm having buyers remorse on that one. Wish I had picked up NSMB or Mario Kart instead.
Old 02-22-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow thanks for all the input so far, as far as connecting via wifi I just need to have a wireless network in my house and thats it? No other hardware required?
Old 02-22-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please come back and post your follow-up thoughts. I've been resisting the urge to buy a DS Lite for a couple of weeks now. Last week I actually saw several at Target (all 3 colors too), but I passed.
Old 02-22-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trauma Center fo sho!!
Old 02-22-07, 08:41 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by M2theAX
Games: I am liking the Zelda due out in March.
TLoZ: The Phantom Hourglass was pushed back to October 2007.
Old 02-22-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haw OCTOBER!
arg.

One more question. What do I have to do in order to play people online, not just point to point wifi? Do I have to buy the usb wireless?

Last edited by M2theAX; 02-22-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you already have a wireless router at home, then you just need to have a wifi enabled game in the DS to go to the wireless setup. You would only need the USB wireless if you don't already have a wireless router.
Old 02-23-07, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gromit
Please come back and post your follow-up thoughts. I've been resisting the urge to buy a DS Lite for a couple of weeks now. Last week I actually saw several at Target (all 3 colors too), but I passed.
Ouch. I feel for you. Those things have been sold out just about everywhere since November. You should have picked it up. Best next gen system hands down.
Old 02-23-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Ouch. I feel for you. Those things have been sold out just about everywhere since November. You should have picked it up. Best next gen system hands down.
You're not helping.

The fact that it's hard to find makes me want to search for one even more.
Old 02-23-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DS can only go on-line if the game is WiFi enabled. The DS itself can't go on-line (the chat thingy doens't really count) i.e. you can't use the DS like an internet browser, maybe there's a game that does it?

Unlike the PSP, the PSP supports WEP and i use it to browse stuffs (only if too lazy to use the computer). However, it's a pain in the butt to do it with a PSP.

I mainly use my DS for puzzle, action and RPG games. My favorites are Mario, Peach, Yoshi, FFIII, Tetris, Metro Prime Pinball, Mario cart, Big Brain, Brain Age... All of them i own and only Mario and Peach got completed with perfect saves.
Old 02-23-07, 04:39 PM
Retired

You can surf the net with the DS, but you have to have the Opera browser which isn't available in the US yet (you can import it though).
Old 02-26-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gromit, i picked up a pink DS Lite over the weekend and have been playing it nonstop. It actually bumped out Xbox Live titles for games i was craving playing. Luckily i borrowed a big stack of games from several friends so i have a ton to go through.
Old 02-27-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Gromit, i picked up a pink DS Lite over the weekend and have been playing it nonstop. It actually bumped out Xbox Live titles for games i was craving playing. Luckily i borrowed a big stack of games from several friends so i have a ton to go through.
I'm just struggling with the fact that I A) don't need it and B) probably won't play it enough to justify the cost. But I'm getting a big bonus in a couple of weeks so I'm tempted to just buy one.

If I ever touched my PSP I probably wouldn't think twice about getting a DS Lite. I just don't have many portable gaming opportunities.
Old 02-27-07, 07:01 PM
Retired

I just don't have many portable gaming opportunities.
I play my DS at home 99% of the time.

I prefer 2D gaming to 3D, so many times there's a game on it I'd rather play than anything on my Wii, PS2 or PC. There's also a lot of great pick up and play games that are ideal when I just want to kill 15 minutes, or to play while watching something in the background (i.e. something dull like the Oscars or NFL Draft where you just need to pause and pay attention every once in a while). Its also nice to play in bed for a bit before sleeping. I used to read, but I do so much reading for grad school that I can't stomach any leisure reading right now.

Point being, there are plenty of opportunities to portable game at home IMO. If those don't apply to you, then I'd just save your money.
Old 02-27-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the same thing. I never played my GBA SP at all and sold it due to that fact.

I borrowed a DS from a friend and found myself playing when laying in bed at night as well as the some trips to the throne. I also got Brain Age and my wife is hooked on that game. She plays it and Nintendogs every single day for at least 30 minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.