Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DVR missed the last half of Amazing Race...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to start a separate thread, but I would like to avoid reading spoilers on tonights episode. Anyway, after football season I removed my Cold Case season pass, then tonight there is a 30 minute delay! Does CBS offer downloads on their websites like ABC. I know there are other ways (BT), but I would prefer something quick. Any other ways to download it?

By the way, what delayed it tonight? NBA All-Star game?
Old 02-19-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fucking. CBS.

I got screwed too. I didnt look for any delay so set the time with just 5 min buffer. I just got home and wanted to see it, just saw 30 mins! Shit! I would like to see the rest so I too want to know if its on the net legally.

I already got spoiled though, I couldnt resist
Old 02-19-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasn't the all star game on TNT?

I checked the sports pre-primetime tv lineup. NASCAR was on FOX and golf was on CBS. Is that what everyone else got?

Dunno why more people don't manually set timers for their recorders. If I had some fav tv show to record I would add 15 mins before/after its time but 30 mins is pretty long. Do DVRs let you record two shows at the same time?
Old 02-19-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Golf went into overtime (I think 4 playoff holes had to be played before Man Boobs bogeyed to let it slip away), which caused the delay.
Old 02-19-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Wasn't the all star game on TNT?

I checked the sports pre-primetime tv lineup. NASCAR was on FOX and golf was on CBS. Is that what everyone else got?

Dunno why more people don't manually set timers for their recorders. If I had some fav tv show to record I would add 15 mins before/after its time but 30 mins is pretty long. Do DVRs let you record two shows at the same time?

The problem with recording past the end time is that if you have two programs schedueled to record after the first one, it cancels one of the programs because of the overlap.
Old 02-19-07, 01:31 AM

Does anyone know if this will be on Comcast's ondemand?
Old 02-19-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It wasn't last season. Still just Survivor as far as CBS game shows go.
Old 02-19-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcolon
The problem with recording past the end time is that if you have two programs schedueled to record after the first one, it cancels one of the programs because of the overlap.
That was my problem...already had two things recording at 8pm. Only watching the first 30 minutes of TAR each week really gets old. It happened far too often last fall as well.
Old 02-19-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
You were warned - 2 hours in advance of the cut-off.
Old 02-19-07, 09:52 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They have to figure out a better way to do this than to make everything run late. Especially when shows on other channels are not running late and then you have an overlap that a 2 tuner DVR cannot handle recording more than 2 shows. My wife and I ended up watching the first 30 minutes and then moving to the kitchen to watch the last 30 minutes of the show. After it was over, we started the recording of DH in the living room and watched it, then watched the taping of the Apprentice from the DVR. It sucks, but if it happens this is the only way I've found you can get around it.
Old 02-19-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
You were warned - 2 hours in advance of the cut-off.
Only if you were watching CBS. Thankfully, I sat down to watch the show at around 7:45 so I was able to adjust my DVR. Of course, because of the 8 o'clock conflict I couldn't DVR Rome on HBOHD. I had to set that up for later in the week.
Old 02-19-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Only if you were watching CBS.

Or this forum.
Old 02-19-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Only if you were watching CBS.
I think he was referring to...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=492934

Yeah it kinda sucks. I don't know how Comcast's DVR works, but I have gotten into the habit of always setting my Tivo to pad on Sundays. Whether its football, golf, college basketball, whatever... I pad by a full hour, because you just never know. It's rare for golf to run over that long, but a football game going into overtime, for example, that's generally at least 30 mins right there.
Old 02-19-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a longtime Cold Case watcher, I learned the hard way a few seasons ago that the end of football season does not mean the end of possible Sunday night delays. So I keep my one-hour buffer going throughout the season.

I actualy watch all 3 CBS Sunday shows (Race, Case, & Trace) so I do a manual record on CBS from 11pm - midnight to get any overrun.
Old 02-19-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why don't they just move 60 Minutes to 8 and use that 7 hour for reruns of their Monday comedies on a random basis or something like that? I admit that their policy probably made sense before the VCR, but it screws over anybody doing timeshifting. I also understand that 60 Minutes is CBS's sacred cow that they'd never join in progress. Surely a move would be okay, though. I won't watch any show on CBS Sundays because of the way they work things, and I know I can't be alone there.
Old 02-19-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

The networks don't care about timeshifters since they aren't watching commercials.
Old 02-19-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The networks don't care about timeshifters since they aren't watching commercials.
I think that's a bit simplistic a view for them to take if true. There are plenty of shows I'll catch live whenever possible but will record in order to have some semblance of a life if I have something going on. Now, I know that 2 of the 3 Sunday night shows are procedurals where you might not miss much in an episode that carries over but AR is certainly a show that rewards consistent viewing. If CBS wants its viewers not to watch AR unless they catch it live every single week, that's pretty short sighted. They'd be better off having somebody's eyeballs on the commercials 8 weeks out of 13 than 0 out of 13.
Old 02-19-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

I think they've made the calculation that few people are single-episode recorders. Accurately I believe.

I don't watch anything aired during primetime live except for sporting events.
Old 02-19-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hasn't the ratings for Without a Trace been down since they moved it to Sundays this season? I would think many people do not want to stay up until 11:30 or later to watch the end of an episode.

Plus they lose viewers because people flip to other channels and get involved in a different show while waiting for the CBS shows to start.

It's just a dumb policy all around.
Old 02-19-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I think they've made the calculation that few people are single-episode recorders. Accurately I believe.

I don't watch anything aired during primetime live except for sporting events.
I don't watch sporting events live either, unless you count waiting to start a college BB game until an hour after tipoff as live.

It would just be nice to turn on TAR and see Team Rombur instead of that zombie Andy Rooney babbling about something that maybe would have been funny 50 years ago.