Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How long does bottled beer last in a fridge?

j123vt_99
02-18-07, 04:21 PM
I have some bottled beer in my fridge from last year's super bowl (not the one last week) so it is essentially 1 year old. It's about a case of Bud Lite and then 10 random foreign beers and then one 40 oz. The thing is I don't drink and don't have many visitors so the beer is just sitting there taking up space. What should I do with it?

Save it for next year's Super Bowl?
Throw it away?
Bring it into work?
Drop it off at Goodwill?

Baron Of Hell
02-18-07, 04:27 PM
Mix it with orange juice and have it for breakfast.

movieking
02-18-07, 04:30 PM
Toss it. Most domestic beer is "good" for 120 days, whereas imports are for 180.

Abelkems
02-18-07, 04:37 PM
That's one question that never needs to be addressed at my house. It does good to last a whole day.

The Dude
02-18-07, 04:59 PM
Sip one and see how it is. If it sucks, toss it; if not, toss it back!

Big Quasimodo
02-18-07, 05:02 PM
Not long around here. I'd say 2-3 days.

Use it to boil up some shrimp or bratwurst.

bobby1975
02-18-07, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't know...this issue has never come up for me.

ernestrp
02-18-07, 05:26 PM
Use as setting lotion

Put some life back into flat hair with some flat beer. Before you get into the shower, mix 3 tablespoons beer in 1/2 cup warm water. After you shampoo your hair, rub in the solution, let it set for a couple of minutes, then rinse it off. You may be so pleased by what you see, you'll want to keep a six-pack in the bathroom.

Soften up tough meat

Who needs powdered meat tenderizer when you have some in a can? You guessed it: Beer makes a great tenderizer for tough, inexpensive cuts of meat. Pour a can over the meat, and let it soak in for about an hour before cooking. Even better, marinate it overnight in the fridge or put the beer in your slow cooker with the meat.

Polish gold jewelry

Get the shine back in your solid gold (i.e., minus any gemstones) rings and other jewelry by pouring a bit of beer (not dark ale!) onto a soft cloth and rubbing it gently over the piece. Use a clean second cloth or towel to dry.

Clean wood furniture

Have you got some beer that's old or went flat? Use it to clean wooden furniture. Just wipe it on with a soft cloth, and then off with another dry cloth.

Make a trap for slugs and snails

Like some people, some garden pests find beer irresistible -- especially slugs and snails. If you're having problems with these slimy invaders, bury a container, such as a clean, empty juice container cut length-wise in half, in the area where you've seen the pests, pour in about half a can of warm, leftover beer, and leave it overnight. You're likely to find a horde of them, drunk and drowned, the next morning.

Remove coffee or tea stains from rugs

Getting that coffee or tea stain out your rug may seem impossible, but you can literally lift it out by pouring a bit of beer right on top. Rub the beer lightly into the material, and the stain should disappear. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times to remove all traces of the stain.

-popcorn-

mndtrp
02-19-07, 01:42 AM
Wow, I was pretty suprised to find a bottle of beer after cleaning out a big pot of chili I had made the week before. I couldn't imagine not drinking the beer for a whole year.

Fincher Fan
02-19-07, 02:05 AM
No man would admit to having beer in his fridge for over a year. Mrs. Nesbit, is that you?

DarkElf
02-19-07, 02:13 AM
Given that we're talking Bud Light, the beer is long past the expiration date, which technically, for most A-B products is 110 days after the "Born On" date. With the imports, it really depends on what the specific beers are, but I'm guessing they're things like Heineken or Beck's. These will generally have a longer shelf life according to the expiration codes, but that's only to accommodate the longer transport times; otherwise, the beer might be expired before it even hit the shelves!

If you really care what you're serving your guests, you should dump the beer (assuming I'm guessing correctly that none of the bottles are of much quality to begin with). The beer might not taste vile, but it certainly will taste "old" to some people. Off flavors could range from metallic to oxidized to skunky, but you could also get these flavors from a relatively fresh beer that was stored improperly.

Now let's talk reality. Many people who would willingly drink a Bud Light won't have an educated enough palate to tell the difference unless the defect is substantial, and even then, some wouldn't know. In other words, if it's been refrigerated at 40 degrees the entire time, and NOT on the top shelf next to the interior light bulb, most people won't be able to tell the beer is a year old, and if they were told, they wouldn't care because the beer still tastes great to them.

Toss it. Most domestic beer is "good" for 120 days, whereas imports are for 180.
You must be talking ONLY about the mass-produced lagers.

There are many factors that determine how long you can keep a beer (hops, yeast, ABV, beer style, import/wholesale/retail storage conditions, just to name a few) but domestic v. import is NOT one of them. There are so many exceptions to this "rule," I don't know where to begin! I literally have over 1700 bottles of beer in my "cellar" and most are 1-4 years old, and probably 80% of these are domestic releases.

Shazam
02-19-07, 02:53 AM
I've had beer go skunky on me after a year.

db27
02-19-07, 06:28 AM
bud light would suck day 1 or day 3000, so really it matters not. :)

matta
02-19-07, 07:09 AM
Sip one and see how it is. If it sucks, toss it; if not, toss it back!

He won't need to sip it. At that age, it's skunked. All he needs to do is open to stink up the entire kitchen.

After about 6 months, the beer is no good.

DarkElf
02-19-07, 08:21 AM
I'm going to be a bit long-winded here, but for a reason...

I've had beer go skunky on me after a year.

He won't need to sip it. At that age, it's skunked.

Keep in mind that skunkiness (otherwise knows as lightstruck) isn't caused by age, but by the interaction of light with the hops in the beer (specifically, the isohumulone compound, but I'll spare people the chemistry lesson). Generally, people talk about UV light being responsible, but even the blue end of the visibile spectrum up to around 500 nm can cause a beer to become lightstruck. That's why beer in a can shouldn't ever taste skunky. The only reason why age can play into this is the longer the beer is in the bottle, the more chance it has to interact with light.

The important thing to know here is that when you buy beer at the store, be wary of beer stored in coolers with fluorescent lighting. If the beer is stored on warm shelves away from the bright cooler lights, but the store has bright ceiling fixtures producing a harsh, bluish light, the beer is still at risk. I always grab from the back of the cooler or shelf, hoping to minimize the exposure to light.

And the thing is, light doesn't only affect the flavor of beer. Wine, fruit juice, and even milk will develop off-flavors when exposed to UV and blue visible light. I buy my milk at Costco and it tastes great and lasts for weeks. Why? Because the plastic gallons are packaged inside a cardboard box and stored in dim coolers, therefore keeping the milk away from the damaging light which not only produces off-flavors, but destroys many of the vitamins and also causes quicker deterioration of the milk.

I'm not even going to get into the effect light has on produce and meat!

Sorry for the long answer, but store lighting is far more important than people think.

db27
02-19-07, 10:11 AM
darkelf, i looked at your beer page and i have declared you my hero. i hope to try that many beers before i die.

i am so jealous! you should make a trip to the brewers fest out here in vermont in june, followed closely by the montreal one. both are good times, tons of great beer.

McHawkson
02-19-07, 10:38 AM
Thanks, DarkElf, it was really education! :up:

Bandoman
02-19-07, 10:42 AM
Great posts, DarkElf. :up:

db27 - I was up at Burke Mountain from last Thurs. to yesterday. Arrived just after the storm, and had some fantastic skiing. Where in VT are you?

Seeker
02-19-07, 11:02 AM
I agree with Darkelf.

"It all depends".

db27
02-19-07, 09:51 PM
Great posts, DarkElf. :up:

db27 - I was up at Burke Mountain from last Thurs. to yesterday. Arrived just after the storm, and had some fantastic skiing. Where in VT are you?

I'm right in Burlington! The only day I had a shot at going to the mtn was the day of the storm, but I didn't want to risk driving back in the weather. Great conditions everyone has told me.

king slug
02-19-07, 10:15 PM
Make a trap for slugs

Hey! What did I ever do to anyone? :sad:

nodeerforamonth
02-20-07, 12:50 AM
If it's horse piss like Bud Light, just throw it out. It's worthless anyway.

Shazam
02-20-07, 01:34 AM
I'm going to be a bit long-winded here, but for a reason...

clipOkay, maybe it wasn't "skunky", but there was definitely some sort of off flavour in there. The beer was in a aluminum can, so no chance of light turning it.

I will say that I've only had one can of beer ever turn on me. I vastly prefer beer in a bottle, so that stuff never lasts.

mndtrp
02-20-07, 04:50 AM
I try to avoid can beer regardless of what kind it is. It's the very last choice in beer consumption that I make. I'd rather drink from a fishbowl, although I haven't done that since college.

mikehunt
02-20-07, 06:31 PM
the bud light was bad before you brought it home

the foriegn beers will likely be past their peak but still be drinkable if the drinker isn't a total beer snob

crazyronin
02-20-07, 06:55 PM
How long does bottled beer last in a fridge?

In my house? no longer than 24 hours...

DarkElf
02-20-07, 10:50 PM
darkelf, i looked at your beer page and i have declared you my hero. i hope to try that many beers before i die.

i am so jealous! you should make a trip to the brewers fest out here in vermont in june, followed closely by the montreal one. both are good times, tons of great beer.
If you try as many as I have posted on Ratebeer, then you'd still only half way to where I'm _actually_ at. I'm over 4000 at this point. :banana:

I'd love to hit more beer fests outside SoCal, but right now, my 6-day-a-week job prevents me from traveling at all. :sad:

Numanoid
02-21-07, 11:52 AM
No man would admit to having beer in his fridge for over a year. Mrs. Nesbit, is that you?Any beer at my place lasts at least a year before it gets consumed. A 1.75 liter of Jack Daniel's, on the other hand, is lucky to last a month. Beer is for children and small women.

SINGLE104
02-21-07, 12:18 PM
How long does bottled beer last in the fridge? Until you drink it.

db27
02-21-07, 01:59 PM
If you try as many as I have posted on Ratebeer, then you'd still only half way to where I'm _actually_ at. I'm over 4000 at this point. :banana:

I'd love to hit more beer fests outside SoCal, but right now, my 6-day-a-week job prevents me from traveling at all. :sad:

4K beers is amazing! I try not to repeat beers if I can help it, but sometimes it must be done. I'm only 28 now so I've got years of tasting ahead of me. I have recently been on a weight loss program and cut my beer down a lot, amazing how much I have lost drinking less beer! Total catch 22 though.

RunBandoRun
02-21-07, 02:19 PM
Ah, memories of when I was in a relationship with a beer drinker. We had a refrigerator in the laundry room off the kitchen that was JUST for her beer. :lol:

I don't drink beer; I'm a cocktail type. Therefore, I have no idea how long beer will keep. If anybody wants to initiate a drive to send me bottles of Kahlua and ButterShots to aid in my experiment about how long they'll keep in my liquor cabinet, hey ... :D

Quake1028
02-21-07, 02:49 PM

Get busy on adding all of those ratings!

dhmac
02-22-07, 05:35 PM
What to do with the can of beer (if you have a grill):

Make Beer Butt Chicken (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beer-butt-chicken/detail.aspx)

Absolutely delish!