DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : S, M, L, XL, XXL is nonsense

eXcentris
02-17-07, 05:12 PM
Sometimes a medium t-shirt will fit me, and sometimes I have to buy a large. This "system" is idiotic, has no standards and needs to go away. :mad:

RunBandoRun
02-17-07, 05:15 PM
I'd be happy if they just made every T shirt in size 4-X. I sleep in 'em. :)

Venusian
02-17-07, 05:29 PM
Anytime someone gives away tshirts, why are they always XL?

achau9598
02-17-07, 05:33 PM
probably because most of them shrink after one wash anyway ...

eXcentris
02-17-07, 05:34 PM
Anytime someone gives away tshirts, why are they always XL?

Yeah, or "one size fits all" :lol:

Altimus Prime
02-17-07, 05:47 PM
I'm very hesitant to buy t-shirts anymore because I know sometimes a XL will fit me fine, other times it won't fit. I hate wasting my money. I have a few shirts I bought that should fit, but don't.

But what I think is even sillier is the numbering system for women's clothes. What is a "size 4," anyway? And how can someone be a "size zero"? What, does that mean if they turn sideways, you can't see them???

At least with, say, men's pants, there's a measuring system that makes sense.

NotThatGuy
02-17-07, 06:15 PM
Welcome to marketing!!

Speaking of women's clothing (more has been researched about it).....look at what a 'size 2' was in '60, '70, '80, etc. They will be different. But...a size is a size, right? Nope.

-p

4KRG
02-17-07, 08:10 PM
Sometimes a medium t-shirt will fit me, and sometimes I have to buy a large. This "system" is idiotic, has no standards and needs to go away. :mad:

I have found that for the most part BIG MAN sizes are about right on.

Usually when I buy a 2XT shirt, it fits. I guess the cheaper brands that cut sizes to save a few pennies haven't invaded this size market just yet.

The question for me comes in when I wash it will the material shrink or not. Usually when it shrinks, it shrinks from the Tall part and leaves me with a belly button revealing shirt.

I am so glad clothes manufacturers finally caught on to larger sized clothing. When I was younger I had such an impossible time finding anything that would fit. Now that big and baggy clothes are trendy, I can actually find a lot that fit :)

Tarantino
02-17-07, 08:52 PM
Agreed. I usually wear a medium tee, but sometimes a big small will work or a small large will be fine. Hate it, because I despise trying things on at a store.

= J

Mrs. Danger
02-17-07, 08:59 PM
I just do the armpit check. I hold the armpits of the shirt, and tuck them into my armpits. If I can do that without stretching the shirt, it fits.

Hiro11
02-17-07, 09:38 PM
I'm with the OP on this one. I'm a medium but you never know. It's to the point where I have to try on everything I want to buy, even if I already own clothing from that particular store or brand and think I know what size fits me.

Actually, I've found that even the same size of the same article of clothing can vary widely.

TomOpus
02-17-07, 09:42 PM
Sometimes I can wear a small, usually a medium, sometimes a large (especially if it's a t-shirt).

innocentfreak
02-17-07, 09:43 PM
The problem I always have is the shirt is never long enough. I am only 6'0 but I have a long torso so I end up wearing 2xL. Even those nowadays are getting wider and shorter nowadays. Then I will see some kid in the mall that has a tshirt that goes down to his knees and I am always tempted to ask him where the hell he shops.

mndtrp
02-17-07, 09:46 PM
It does seem stupid to have the same size be different with different brands. Shoes are the same way. If something universal was adopted, it would make shopping online much easier.

devilshalo
02-17-07, 10:04 PM
I will wear an XL just for the reason of shrinkage after repeated washes. If it doesn't shrink, that's fine, too, since I wear things oversized anyway.

Lee Harvey Oswald
02-17-07, 10:19 PM
I bought a bunch of medium sized white shirts at Target to wear under other shirts. I tried one on and it fit great, so I figured they'd all fit since they were all M's. I was wrong, after I cut the tags off and washed them they all fit differently. Some are as tight as smalls and others are baggy as a L or XL.

eXcentris
02-17-07, 10:24 PM
The problem I always have is the shirt is never long enough. I am only 6'0 but I have a long torso so I end up wearing 2xL. Even those nowadays are getting wider and shorter nowadays. Then I will see some kid in the mall that has a tshirt that goes down to his knees and I am always tempted to ask him where the hell he shops.

Yeah that's another problem. Not only is the width inconsistent, but the length as well.

It's fine in a store cause you can try them on, but if your order you have to guess. I ordered a t-shirt from cafepress a while back and it was a 'M'edium. Well it was too small. Luckily, after filling out the return form on their site (and expecting to pay shipping to send it back, and get a new one), I got an email from one of their customer reps telling me they'd send a new one at no charge, and that I could keep the original one too.

Snorker
02-17-07, 10:29 PM
I'm writing a letter to God and complaining that he didn't make people in consistent S, M, L, XL, and XXL sizes. All of this variation is infuriating!

Charlie Goose
02-17-07, 11:18 PM
And why don't they have dressing rooms for men in a women's clothing store?

I'm jes' saying!

Just Lurking
02-17-07, 11:26 PM
Why do places charge a couple dollars more for XXL and bigger but not less for XS or smaller?

DVD Josh
02-17-07, 11:37 PM

So instead of a size, they should just write SHIRT on the tag? Or Skinny for S, Manly for M and Large ManBoobs for L?

Look, it's not the system. It's the fact that shirts are mass produced today. The presses constantly need resetting, and nothing is hand cut anymore (unless you pay through the nose).

dork
02-17-07, 11:46 PM
Why do places charge a couple dollars more for XXL and bigger but not less for XS or smaller?
Plus size clothing is more expensive to manufacture because the Malaysian children who make it are periodically crushed to death by the amount of fabric needed for one Hawaiian shirt.

eXcentris
02-17-07, 11:56 PM
So instead of a size, they should just write SHIRT on the tag? Or Skinny for S, Manly for M and Large ManBoobs for L?

Look, it's not the system. It's the fact that shirts are mass produced today. The presses constantly need resetting, and nothing is hand cut anymore (unless you pay through the nose).

The presses constantly need resetting? What the heck is that supposed to mean? That the people who reset them are either idiots or the standards as to what these acronyms really mean in terms of actual sizes are so vague and/or varied that they become almost meaningless.

TimeandTide
02-18-07, 12:25 AM
Even worse are the different fits of XL tees at Lucky (and Gap). Their XL tees vary in size so I usually have to take a pile of a dozen or so into the dressing room just to find a couple that will fit right.

devilshalo
02-18-07, 01:13 AM
Plus size clothing is more expensive to manufacture because the Malaysian children who make it are periodically crushed to death by the amount of fabric needed for one Hawaiian shirt.
rotfl

DVD Polizei
02-18-07, 01:20 AM

I agree. Especially when it applies to personal genitals. :up:

Shazam
02-18-07, 01:35 AM
This is why I like to purchase stuff that uses inches as the size... 42 always fits me.

calhoun07
02-18-07, 03:57 AM

Why do fast food places charge you extra if you want extra sauce or toppings on your burger but won't take off money from your order if you ask them to hold some toppings off the burger?

SO THESE COMPANIES CAN MAKE MORE $$$$$$$$$.

asabase
02-18-07, 04:37 AM
There is also now "atheletic cut" sizes. Basically an athletic cut large is just a medium but with a cooler sounding name.

Giantrobo
02-18-07, 04:41 AM
What I hate as a XX to XXX guy is the skinny hip hop and Teen punkasses who buy my size to look cool. I go into stores and those sizes are all gone.

Big & Tall here I come....

Just Lurking
02-18-07, 09:31 AM
Why do fast food places charge you extra if you want extra sauce or toppings on your burger but won't take off money from your order if you ask them to hold some toppings off the burger?

SO THESE COMPANIES CAN MAKE MORE $$$$$$$$$.

What if I order cheeseburger with no cheese? I get a hamburger which is cheaper! ;)

calhoun07
02-18-07, 10:08 AM
What if I order cheeseburger with no cheese? I get a hamburger which is cheaper! ;)

I would charge your ass for the cheeseburger and just not put the cheese on it if you call it a "CHEESEburger" when wanting to order just a plain hamburger.

I actually know somebody who went around and around with a fast food clerk on this subject. He ordered a cheeseburger plain. He didn't want any lettuce, tomatoes, onions, or pickles on it. I am not sure he even wanted any ketchup...he just ordered it plain. They gave him a hamburger....plain. He gave it back explaining that he wanted a cheeseburger but he wanted it plain. They could not grasp the concept that a CHEESEburger by name alone requires it to have CHEESE on it or he would not call it a cheeseburger!

mh4268
02-18-07, 10:11 AM
I always thought it was weird how xxl and 2xl are different sizes. xxl is essentially just a bigger size of a normal shirt, while 2xl is cut for larger guys to begin with so it is bigger. I am psyched now that I can fit in an xxl so I can buy clothes at a normal store, down from a 5xl. Prices at Big and Tall stores can be outrageous, I like going to target and picking up a $10 shirt or $20 hoody if I want.

calhoun07
02-18-07, 10:12 AM
I always thought it was weird how xxl and 2xl are different sizes. xxl is essentially just a bigger size of a normal shirt, while 2xl is cut for larger guys to begin with so it is bigger. I am psyched now that I can fit in an xxl so I can buy clothes at a normal store, down from a 5xl. Prices at Big and Tall stores can be outrageous, I like going to target and picking up a $10 shirt or $20 hoody if I want.

Good job on the weight loss! Now if I could just drop a couple sizes....

M2theAX
02-18-07, 10:25 AM
In Express even Dress Shirts run S, M, L, XL, etc... XL is too big and L is a little too tight on me

jonw9
02-18-07, 10:55 AM
I always thought it was weird how xxl and 2xl are different sizes. xxl is essentially just a bigger size of a normal shirt, while 2xl is cut for larger guys to begin with so it is bigger.

I ran into this at Christmas. I was at the store with my wife and MIL, and helping look for a shirt for her brother. I was told "Find a 2X" so I searched and came back with an XXL, and was promptly told that was not a 2X, even though it contained 2 of the aforementioned Xs!

SleepyW
02-18-07, 04:02 PM
I'm short and fairly thin, but when I get T-shirts, I have to buy L, and after a wash, they're skin tight on me. Who the F wears smalls and mediums?

FantasticVSDoom
02-18-07, 07:32 PM
Then you throw jackets in the mix, and they are all screwed up... I usually buy a large shirt (sometimes medium), but a large jacket is like a fucking tent on me. Another problem is trying to find a size 30 length in a 34 pair of jeans.

Shazam
02-19-07, 12:19 AM
Another problem is trying to find a size 30 length in a 34 pair of jeans.Hey, that's what I wear! According to the dweeb that helped me at the Gap, it's because that's the most popular size for pants.