Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Your Netflix address flaps = FREE Blockbuster Rentals 2/15-21

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-16-07, 06:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a post regarding free rentals as indicated below. I'm not offended if someone wiser than me moves this to a more appropriate forum, but I figured this is a good deal on DVD rentals so I'd put it here. Blockbuster ran this same promo last year when they introduced their Total Access Program - ever since then I've made a point to save my Netflix flaps. Happy renting.

Blockbuster Gives NetFlix Renters Presidents' Day Pardon
Thursday February 15, 7:00 am ET
Post Offices Are Closed for Holiday, But Blockbuster Total Access(TM) Is Open for In-Store Movie Exchanges, Including to NetFlix Subscribers

DALLAS, Feb. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Presidents' Day is just one of the 62 days in the year when online movie renters can't receive movies by mail. For the upcoming holiday weekend, Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI - News, BBI.B - News) is extending to NetFlix subscribers the in-store benefits enjoyed 365 days of the year by members of Blockbuster Total Access(TM). When there's no mail or just when the mood strikes, Blockbuster Total Access gives its online subscribers the option of exchanging their DVDs at a participating Blockbuster® store for free in-store movie rentals.

From Feb. 15 through Feb. 21, including two days when post offices are closed, current NetFlix members can bring the tear-off address flaps of their NetFlix rental envelopes to any of the more than 5,000 participating U.S. Blockbuster stores. In exchange for every flap they present, they will receive an on-the-spot free movie rental.

"With this Presidents' Day offer, we're celebrating freedom of choice for American movie lovers, who no longer have to wait for the mail to get DVDs," said Nick Shepherd, president, Blockbuster North America. "Tens of thousands of customers are joining Blockbuster Total Access every day because no one else provides the convenience of online rentals backed by in-store services which enables consumers to access the movies they want 365 days a year."

The offer gives NetFlix subscribers the opportunity to experience Blockbuster Total Access, America's fastest growing movie subscription service on a percentage basis. Blockbuster ended 2006 with approximately 2.2 million online rental subscribers, including approximately 2 million paying subscribers. Approximately 700,000 subscribers joined Blockbuster Total Access in the fourth quarter of 2006.

NetFlix subscribers who wish to participate in the program can tear off the address flaps they normally discard when mailing back their DVDs and turn them in at any participating Blockbuster store to receive a free in-store movie rental. They can continue to bring in their envelope flaps and exchange them for free in-store rentals for the duration of the promotion, which runs from Thursday, Feb. 15 through Wednesday, Feb. 21. NetFlix customers do not need to subscribe to Blockbuster's online program to participate. To utilize the free store rentals, NetFlix customers need to have a Blockbuster store membership, which they can sign up for on the spot. Store membership is free.

The name on the NetFlix tear-off flaps must match the name on the holder's Blockbuster membership account. In-store movie rentals are subject to store rental terms, including due dates, and must be returned to the store from which they were rented.

NetFlix subscribers, as well as movie lovers who do not currently subscribe to an online rental service, can experience the full benefits of Blockbuster Total Access by signing up for a free two-week trial, available for a limited time at http://www.Blockbuster.com or in participating Blockbuster stores.

Blockbuster Total Access is a movie rental program that gives online customers the option of returning their DVDs through the mail or exchanging them at more than 5,000 participating Blockbuster stores for free in-store movie rentals. When subscribers return their online rentals to a participating store, the store check-in process automatically initiates the process of shipping of the next available movie(s) in the subscriber's rental queue, whether they take advantage of the in-store exchange or not. That means Blockbuster Total Access members generally will get their online movie(s) a day faster than if they had dropped the return movies in the mail themselves.
Old 02-16-07, 07:39 AM

haha - man... With their 4 for $20 sale, NetFlix and now this I'm OVERWHELMED with unwatched DVDs!!
Old 02-16-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, edgeofepic! Unfortunately, I just threw a flap out this morning (and already took it to the dumpster). Well, hopefully more will arrive in the mail soon! I had a feeling I should have been saving my flaps, cuz they did this promo once before. Darn it!!!
Old 02-16-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts
Just threw them in the trash a few minutes ago...and dug them out. Unfortunately, they're my friend's, but hopefully he'll rent something good.
Old 02-16-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are these good on any rental, or just non new-release titles?
Old 02-16-07, 02:04 PM
rhc

last time i used them on any movie rental, luckily i been saving flaps for no reason.
Old 02-16-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$uck ... i dump 4 of them in the trash can & the truck is pickup today
Old 02-16-07, 05:54 PM
Cool New Member

You can turn in your Netflix flaps for new release or old movies, whatever pleases you. I've been saving mine since last time they ran this promo. Tonight I turned in 8 of them and of course the kid called his regional manager on the phone to make sure there was no limit (even though their own sign mentions nothing of a limit). Tell me why these kids in thankless jobs at Ballbuster and BestBuy try so desperately to screw over the little man while the big man (corporations) exploit them for low wages, no benefits and timed 15 minute breaks??!!

Blockbuster should WANT you to take these free rentals b/c if you keep them too long, you own them - and they'll bill your charge card, thus making a profit.

TIP: I even save the Netflix envelopes which Netflix uses to send previewed movies for $5.99-$9.99 to customers. It's more like an envelope than a flap, but maybe you're Ballbuster won't notice the difference and you'll get another rental or two for free.
Old 02-16-07, 08:34 PM

I was able to pick up a couple recent releases that were listed in my Netflix account as "Very Long Wait." Thanks, OP!
Old 02-19-07, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by edgeofepic
Tell me why these kids in thankless jobs at Ballbuster and BestBuy try so desperately to screw over the little man while the big man (corporations) exploit them for low wages, no benefits and timed 15 minute breaks??!!
Disclaimer: I currently work for blockbuster video, but I have at times loathed them, and all corporations. But I for one would rather be safe than sorry when it came to something like this (the netflix flaps); if it were something I would be afraid would cost me my job, I would at least get the manager about it. And blockbuster actually does have benefits (better for managers of course, but some at least for CSR's). I do think the way business' run is unfair and unjust, but trust me, it's not only Blockbuster (and Best Buy); I've worked Starbucks and Gamestop as well. Starbucks was great (although I think it was all the coffee I was drinking that helped, but they do treat people well), and Gamestop, about the same as Blockbuster (I did enjoy GS more though).

Blockbuster should WANT you to take these free rentals b/c if you keep them too long, you own them - and they'll bill your charge card, thus making a profit.
They want you to trade the envelopes so they can tell you about their online service - selling you the rental has nothing to do with it. It is only an irreversible charge if 30 days has lapsed, in which case Blockbuster has had a rental unavailable for other customers to rent for a month. While I don't think it's the best system in the world, I don't think it's generating huge amounts of profits for them. And I sure as hell don't want the 30 days to lapse, people get IRATE. I think blockbuster has changed A LOT in the last year or so, mostly to generate profit of course in a failing business model, but it's also (I believe) made the rental experience a better one, so in this case it's almost the same thing as doing it all for the customer. I, for one, do it all for the customer; as you can imagine minimum wage is not exactly huge incentive to
"screw over the little man", because I myself am one.
Hope my "sleeping with the enemy" doesn't change any opinions of me; it's just a job, one in which I would call the DL if I thought I was making a large mistake. I've made dumb mistakes in the past and it really sucks.
Old 02-19-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks OP, just dug two out of the recycling.
Old 02-19-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already tried their online service back in November. I have some old NetFlix flaps left over from last summer. It should probably still work since my name is on them. That's 3 FREE rentals.

I've never had a problem with them charging my card unexpectedly. Just a few weeks ago I saw an expected charge post since I had kept it beyond the "rental" period but when I returned it still within the 30 days, I was credited back the charge minus the $1.25 fee.
Old 02-20-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Just took advantage of this today. Thanks OP!