Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it just me, or do DDD's prices seem higher?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is it just me, or do DDD's prices seem higher?

Old 02-16-07, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me, or are DDD prices not as good as they used to be?

I have been a member of DeepDiscountDVD for years, and I have noticed recently that their prices are not the "deep discount" that they used to be.

For example, I can often buy DVD's cheaper at DVD Pacific or even Amazon!

DDD used to be always the best price around, but now you have to shop them to make sure you don't get screwed.

Even during the last big 20% off sale, I found some DVD's on my wish list for a much lower price at DVD Pacific. In other words, DVD Pacific's REGULAR price beat DDD even after subracting the 20% sale discount!

So be careful. DDD "ain't what it used to be."

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 02-16-07 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-16-07, 02:20 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I remember dvdpacific usually being cheaper than ddd even a few years ago. The question was whether they were as reliable as ddd, but I realized they were after ordering from them several times. I do use a one time credit card number with them as I like to be careful. Amazon.com just has good regular sales with great prices on a few items like a best buy or circuit city does each week in the middle of all their terrible prices. Always use a price comparison tool to compare as ddd never was always the cheapest.
Old 02-16-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think they have gone up so much as alot of the others have become more competitive, especially amazon of late. I always found good deals elsewhere and still do. DD is just one of several retailers I purchase from.
Old 02-16-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deep Discount has been higher than Amazon on new releases for a while now, at least a year.

When it comes to back catalogue titles, though, I rarely find a price cheaper than DD.
Old 02-16-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just noticed that a couple DVDs on my wishlist went up in price. Will and Grace Season 5 went from $21 to $38 and "On Native Soil" went from $10 to $17.
Old 02-16-07, 06:42 AM

DDD is still consistently the cheapest etailer around. Dvd Pacific always has the lowest "price", but they have the highest shipping rates of anyone.

Amazon is a weird site. They frequently have great deals (currently you can pick up Boondocks season one or WB's Legends Of Horror box at great prices) but they are way too inconsistent and willy nilly. They are selling the MST3K boxes at list price, but next week they'll be 50% off (not really, but thats the kind of stuff that goes on).

Truffaut's Day For Night showed up at 9.97 today on AMZ (a GREAT price) but it might only last a day or a week, who knows?

Personally, I have no loyalty to any site. I have a big want list and I keep an eye out for price changes / errors.
Old 02-16-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't DDD price match?
Old 02-16-07, 07:49 AM

The thing to keep in mind is that DD(d) gaurentees the lowest TOTAL price on line, meaning shipping included. You might find a DVD cheaper at Amazon lets say, but by the time you add on the $4 shipping, DD(d) is still cheaper (or thats what they promise).

Now obviously things like amazon prime can affect this, but then you did pay for that so the first 6 orders even out....
Old 02-16-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With some of the recent coupons and deals (google checkout, DVDPlanets own 20%, B&N Buy 1 Get 1 Free TV shows, ect.), DDDs 20% sales and regular prices are not nearly as attractive anymore. That is not to say they are bad, but they are no longer the only game in town.
Old 02-16-07, 08:06 AM
Banned

As far as new release dvds (the major releases) I would never use DDD for buying. Regardless of free shipping they can't compete with the local B&M like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. I use to shop often with DDD but I don't anymore. They are very un-reliable with shipping and you never know when your item is going to ship. I'll take Amazon.com ANYDAY...
Old 02-16-07, 08:19 AM

I agree with many of the posts above. It's not that DDD prices are so much higher, it's more of a case of the other guys cutting their prices to compete better.

As for shipping, I have found DVDPacific to have a lower TOTAL price on several DVD's compared to DDD's prices. As I mentioned, during the last 20% off sales at DDD I found some DVD's at DVD Pacific that were several dollars cheaper than DDD's sale price, even after including the shipping cost.

I'm glad other companies are now giving DDD (now just DD) a run for their money. But being the lazy guy that I am, I liked the "old days" of having one-stop shopping where I could buy all of my DVD's at DDD and know I was getting the best price available.

Oh well, life goes on ...

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 02-16-07 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-16-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I use DVD Price Search, DDD is the lowest price, except on an occasional item that's on sale elsewhere, and or if I have enough items in my cart to cancel out the costs of S&H at another store. But DDD usually has the best sales, and they're the only site besides Amazon to consistently have multiple good sales going on.
Old 02-16-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't DVDPacific the e-tailer that had a security breach a couple of years ago and people had their CC information stolen. I've avoided them like the plague since then. A couple of dollars savings over DDD once in a while has just not been worth the risk to me.
Old 02-16-07, 10:19 AM

I'm definetly still using deepdiscount for everything but new releases. the main reason is the guarantee of free shipping. the sale says 3.99, it's 3.99. if I want something they have it and it's at a better price than most, and unless I needed it immediately I could always wait for a 20% or another deal.

as for new releases I work at blockbuster and our store cheats. we're supposed to wait 30 days before putting the new releases to a pre-viewed dvd. and we usually don't. they start at 12.99 and I get a 20% discount. always 2 for 20 or even 3 for 20. (ymmv)
Old 02-16-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just plop your search into dvdpricesearch.com and you'll be fine.
Old 02-16-07, 11:29 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me DD is better than it used to be. They used to get my purchases during their 2 big sales, but with their BOGOs and targeted sales they seem now to get a purchase or 2 every month. So far no other etailer comes close to matching them on an ongoing basis, despite an occasional good buy elsewhere.
Old 02-16-07, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Doesn't DDD price match?

Yeah, I think they used to guarantee the lowest price SHIPPED, that is including shipping, because they do it for free, and that was always their advantage. Even if a title is cheaper elsewhere, like DVDPacific, with shipping it wasn't. Only Media Mail is so freakin' slow, it's better to pay a few extra bucks.
Old 02-16-07, 02:25 PM

I love DDD and all and am not a "post nazi" but this should probably be in the store forum.
Old 02-16-07, 05:06 PM

The day before the 20percent code I bought the Philadelphia Story 2 disk SE and Chariots of Fire 2 disk SE for around 13.xx each. After the new site opened, they were 20.59 and amazon has them, however, close to the old DDD price at 13.47 and Barnes & Noble a bit more. (On amazon you have to scroll down to find the cheaper Philadelphia Story SE--they have two listings for the same thing.) So, that's a bit discouraging.
Old 02-16-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unless it is a great sale like the 20% off or a B1G1, I rarely buy from DD. Barnes and Noble usually has the newest TV box sets at 30% off, plus my membership makes them 37% off list plus free shipping that is 10 times faster than DD.
Old 02-16-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I know they have the same parent company as DDD, but DVD Planet has worked out best for me. Besides having the $10 off Google checkout, they will buy your used DVDs (i.e. = STORE CREDIT...and they offer more than anyone else I'm familiar with); they also have monthly coupon codes and Frequent Buyer Points. If your order is less than $25, their economy shipping is only a $1... and in my experience it is much, much faster than DDD.
Old 02-16-07, 07:07 PM
Cool New Member

It will be a shame if DDD has indeed decided to up the prices, now that they have expanded their business. Of course, they probably expanded their business because of all the people that shopped there for the great prices. And now those people will go elsewhere because of the new prices.

Ruh roh.
Old 02-16-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Doesn't DDD price match?
I've never been able to get them to price match. They either never get back to me or they wait so long the item is no longer on sale.
Old 02-17-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Wasn't DVDPacific the e-tailer that had a security breach a couple of years ago and people had their CC information stolen. I've avoided them like the plague since then.
I thought that was DDD.
Old 02-17-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
I thought that was DDD.
No. The security breach was DVD Pacific.

DDD had some kind of questionable thing going on where if you clicked on a link for $20 back, it automatically enrolled you in something a third party was offering and charged your card. So your CC info was being given away (as opposed to someone hacking in)...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.