DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Carlos Mencia vs Joe Rogan

outcastja
02-15-07, 06:45 PM
Didn't know where to put this thread but since Carlos Mencia has a TV show thought I'd put it here. It's Joe Rogan on stage telling Mencia he steals jokes.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1943001565

This was also put on youtube but Mencia had it taken down. Hopefully Rogan will confront Dane Cook for stealing Louis CK's material as well.

movieking
02-15-07, 06:49 PM
Watched it on youtube a couple of days ag. Rogan's site details a couple of their confrontations as well. Mencia seems like a real douche. The youtube video had a few comedians talk about how he stole their jokes, with George Lopez saying he stole at least 13 minutes of his material for one of his shows. Lopez apparently got physical with me because of it.

Obey The D
02-15-07, 07:05 PM
I saw this the other day and couldn't believe what a douche Mencia is. I'm glad someone put Ned in his place.

Goldberg74
02-15-07, 07:15 PM
For a minute there I thought it was a UFC challenge.

I'd pay to see that. :up:

JumpCutz
02-15-07, 07:29 PM
:lol: Great stuff. Ned just got disassembled. What a little fuckin' bitch.

stingermck
02-15-07, 07:43 PM
Awesome. And Rogan could kick his ass before I could blink

zuffy
02-15-07, 08:21 PM
Awesome. I never knew that bitch was stealing other comedians' stuff. I would love to see Mencia and Rogan in the Octagon. Rogan will tear him a new hole.

Rogue588
02-15-07, 09:04 PM
Well, as a result of the confrontation, Joe's banned from the Comedy Store and dropped by his agent..

http://joerogan.net/main.php

Good for Joe! Shame others don't step up..

Tommy Ceez
02-15-07, 09:06 PM
Rogan talked about this over a year ago on O&A...he was super pissed

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
02-15-07, 09:32 PM
Mencia is an idiot

sureAV421
02-15-07, 09:45 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves
O&A

RichC2
02-15-07, 10:01 PM
That's odd, never noticed Mencia had more than one joke.

outcastja
02-15-07, 10:06 PM
An article about other comedians who steal material

http://radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php

bdshort
02-16-07, 02:11 AM
I was checking up on Mencia's background after listening to the O&A bit with Joe Rogan. Joe says Mencia is half Honduran and half German, and Mencia's Bio at IMDB backs this up, saying his mother was from Hounduras and his father was from Germany. Wikipedia gives his parents the same names as IMDB, but states his father was from Honduras, and his mother was from Mexico. So which is correct?

Also, I didn't realize how many major comedians have been accused of stealing material! But I don't follow the stand-up scene very much.

Brian

movieking
02-16-07, 05:48 AM
There are two people that jump to mind when I hear about comedians stealing jokes: Denis Leary and Dane Cook.

Derrich
02-16-07, 10:31 AM
Denis Leary was exonerated. Rogan said Leary stole Bill Hicks' smoking routine. But they played the 2 bits back to back on Stern (with Rogan and Leary on the line) and they werent even close. The only similarity was that both guys were talking about smoking.

Its inevitable that comedians will come up with the same jokes every once in a while. Some things are too obvious for it not to happen. The problems occur when entire bits are pulled. And even more so when a more popular comic steals from a new guy.

D

rfduncan
02-16-07, 11:09 AM
Its inevitable that comedians will come up with the same jokes every once in a while. Some things are too obvious for it not to happen. The problems occur when entire bits are pulled. And even more so when a more popular comic steals from a new guy.
Or in this case, a guy who OPENED FOR YOU!!!!! -eek-

I love Joe Rogan.

jmanlakerfan
02-16-07, 11:31 AM
Or in this case, a guy who OPENED FOR YOU!!!!! -eek-

I love Joe Rogan.

I have new respect for Jor Rogan. I never loved the guy. Now - he's my idol.

However, I have always had a huge hatred for Dane Cook and Carlos Menstelia. Now I have better reasons - other than them being annoying.

Charlie Goose
02-16-07, 11:46 AM
An article about other comedians who steal material

http://radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php
I never knew that Robin Williams had such a bad reputation for joke theft. And all this time I thought he was being unfunny on his own. Well, at least he still has his stream-of-consciousness bullshit that falls flat every time.

lopper
02-16-07, 12:28 PM
Well, as a result of the confrontation, Joe's banned from the Comedy Store and dropped by his agent..

He wasn't "dropped" by his agent. Rogan didn't want to apologize to Mencia like his agent wanted him to, so he actually dropped his agent, not the other way around.

At least, that's what I got from the link you provided.

EDIT: Hmm. I read the piece twice, but only just noticed the headline. I'm still not entirely sure what happened. Meh...

Turd Ferguson
02-16-07, 12:58 PM
Rogan definitely made Mencia his bitch. I'd love to hear Doug Stanhope go off on Mencia.

devilshalo
02-16-07, 02:50 PM
:up: That shit was hilarious! :lol:

rfduncan
02-16-07, 02:53 PM

Interesting. Is Fear Factor done? It would seem that Mencia has the stronger star power with Mind of Mencia on Comedy Central so he could force his agency's hand. Wow.

Baron Of Hell
02-16-07, 03:00 PM
I started a joke thread on Other Talk and Carlos Mencia stole ever single one.

Morf
02-16-07, 03:09 PM
That's odd, never noticed Mencia had more than one joke.

He has two: a Mexican joke and a retard joke.

nevermind
02-16-07, 03:39 PM
rotfl

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070215/230046.shtml
Carlos Mencia Claims Copyright Infringement On Comedian Who Accuses Mencia Of Stealing Jokes

Another day, another convoluted DMCA claim. Earlier this week, one of the hot stories getting passed around was how comedian (and Fear Factor host) Joe Rogan had confronted comedian Carlos Mencia at a comedy club in LA last weekend. Rogan's complaint was that Mencia, who has a hit show on Comedy Central, constantly uses other comedians' material as if it was his own. Rogan posted a video of the incident and interspersed the argument with additional clips proving all of his claims against Mencia, and disproving many of Mencia's claims. It is an entertaining video no matter how you look at it. Now, given our position on intellectual property issues (especially when it comes to plagiarizing), some might think that we'd support Mencia using other's jokes. However, we also have no problem with Rogan then exposing Mencia's failure to give credit where it's due. The fact is that when Mencia started using other's jokes, the risk (or price) he paid was that he might be exposed some day for it -- and Rogan has pretty damning evidence, which clearly hurts Mencia's reputation. In other words, it's not that we don't think things like plagiarism are bad -- but, rather that many people use it creatively to expand the art -- and those that don't risk harm to their own reputations (as is the case with Mencia).

So what does this have to do with technology? Well, Kevin writes in to to point out that he noticed the video on YouTube that Rogan originally pointed to from his blog has been taken down following a DMCA request from... Carlos Mencia. The video is still available elsewhere and Rogan is offering up various mirrors for downloads -- so it will likely keep appearing. However, it does seem ironic that Mencia is claiming copyright violations to takedown a video that pretty clearly shows him using other's material. It's difficult to see how Mencia has a DMCA claim at all. The video material was mostly taken by Rogan's associates -- so he holds the copyright to it. The short clips he used from other sources to prove his point are pretty clearly fair use. Either way, it seems pretty ridiculous to claim copyright infringement on a video revealing evidence that you used someone else's material without credit.

Rogue588
02-16-07, 03:42 PM
:lol:

Chad
02-16-07, 04:33 PM
Hopefully Rogan will confront Dane Cook for stealing Louis CK's material as well.

That would be priceless. And it's not just Louis CK's material that hack has stolen.

Good for Joe. :up:

Goldberg74
02-16-07, 04:47 PM
There's a lot of hate for <strike>Carlos</strike>... um, Ned... over at the Comedy Central message board for his show:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/mind_of_mencia/message_board.jhtml

Duh Vuh Duh
02-16-07, 05:04 PM
totally missed this, anybody know where else the video is, I can't view myspace videos at work apparently.

ETA: nevermind, thanks guys, found it on google.

boogieman03
02-16-07, 05:05 PM
I just saw it on google video.

Very funny stuff.

Seantn
02-16-07, 05:06 PM
It makes me so happy to see Mencia get told off in public like that.

Slumbering Fist
02-16-07, 05:07 PM
Denis Leary was exonerated. Rogan said Leary stole Bill Hicks' smoking routine. But they played the 2 bits back to back on Stern (with Rogan and Leary on the line) and they werent even close. The only similarity was that both guys were talking about smoking.

I wouldnt say that exonerated him. The Leary-Hicks thing is that Leary was a different comedian after he followed Hicks. He basically saw what Hicks did and changed his act to be more like him. That isnt a crime. However comedians from that time noted that during his process of changing his act he did steal some Hicks bits. Over time Leary changed them to be more unique so by the time he was popular he had his own persona. There isnt a whole lot of tape on Leary in his post-Hicks transforming days or during the transition, so its more of a word of mouth thing.

Seantn
02-16-07, 05:07 PM
What is funny is that now the slogan for Carlos Mencia rings even more true... :

"You Think It, He Says It!"

More like, "You say it, he says it!"

breadlymoore
02-16-07, 06:26 PM
Rogan and Mencia are both dicks. Everyone loses here.

Sex Fiend
02-16-07, 07:44 PM
Rogan and Mencia are both dicks. Everyone loses here.

Amen.

I have a acquaintances playing the national stand-up circuit, and from everything I've heard (and been witness to), I would estimate that about 75% of the stand-ups playing the clubs are pricks, in one way or another. It just happens to be an area of the entertainment business that attracts self-absorbed, grotesquely insecure, attention whores (yeah, unlike other areas of the entertainment biz -wink-). No surprise that plagiarism is pervasive.

My only wish is that someone who is actually funny would get into the business, and everybody would steal from them, since only about 10% of the stand-up I ever hear anymore isn't complete garbage.

RoyalTea
02-17-07, 08:53 AM
speaking of louis ck and dane cook:

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3972

spainlinx0
02-17-07, 09:59 AM
Never thought Mencia was funny, and was horrified by how unfunny his Superbowl commercials were.

areacode212
02-17-07, 10:22 AM
Hopefully Rogan will confront Dane Cook for stealing Louis CK's material as well.

Rogan confronted Dane Cook about Cook stealing his own jokes. That Radar Magazine article that someone posted on page 1 has the details (http://www.radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php). Here's the relevant part:

Joe Rogan, host of Fear Factor and formerly of The Man Show, says he experienced this firsthand with a routine he spent months developing on the topic of tiger fucking. When Rogan saw a friend he'd performed with many times recycle his bit on Comedy Central after simply changing the tiger to a rhino, his claws came out.

The friend? Future megastar Dane Cook.

According to Rogan, when he angrily called to demand an explanation, Cook promised to drop the joke. Rogan considered the matter settled. Two weeks later, he caught Cook at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles performing yet another bit of his, which Rogan had already released on a CD. Rogan, a full-contact Tae Kwon Do champion, says he confronted Cook on the spot. "I said, 'What the fuck are you doing?'" the comic recalls. "'You know that's my bit! You heard me say it! What the fuck makes you think you can take my material and do it onstage?'"

Rogan isn't the only one who has accused Cook of lifting material. Another veteran comic recalls seeing Cook performing one of his very physical routines at the same club. "I go, 'Don't do that bit,'" says the comic, "and [Cook] goes, 'Oh, sorry man. I won't do that bit.' But he did it plenty of times after that."

There's also this part about Mencia:
While the genial, hardworking Leary is generally liked and admired by most of his peers, Comedy Central star Carlos Mencia is almost universally reviled. According to Rogan, the famed Comedy Store in Los Angeles has even instituted a Mencia early-detection signal similar to the Improv's for Williams, though considerably less high-tech. "Every time he walks in, the guys in the cover booth just start yelling 'Mencia's here!'" he says with a laugh. (Both Mencia and Leary declined repeated requests for comment.)

Nick Di Paolo claims the Comedy Central star also swiped material from him, and notes that "every Latino comic wants to kill him."

One in particular is sitcom star George Lopez, who told Howard Stern last year that Mencia stole 13 minutes of his act for an HBO special, inspiring him to pay Mencia a personal visit. "I just had enough," Lopez recalled. "So one night at the Laugh Factory, I just picked him up and slammed him against the wall."

Tommy Ceez
02-17-07, 04:31 PM
I wouldnt say that exonerated him. The Leary-Hicks thing is that Leary was a different comedian after he followed Hicks. He basically saw what Hicks did and changed his act to be more like him. That isnt a crime. However comedians from that time noted that during his process of changing his act he did steal some Hicks bits. Over time Leary changed them to be more unique so by the time he was popular he had his own persona. There isnt a whole lot of tape on Leary in his post-Hicks transforming days or during the transition, so its more of a word of mouth thing.

Also, once Hicks died, Leary's stand-up act completly dried up, but he transitioned well into acting

MovieExchange
02-18-07, 07:05 AM

There's too much similarity between Leary's edgier material and what Hicks did. The way I explain it to people is that Leary took Bill's less edgy work, left out the really controversial stuff, sanitized the rest down for the masses, and then added some of his lame comedy in to fill it out.

If Rogan can be believed, Leary was a suit & tie comic talking about airline food before he met Hicks.

And borrowing a joke isn't even that bad a thing. A lot of comics do it. I think the real problem a lot of people have with Leary isn't that he stole jokes from Bill, but that he doesn't admit what a major influence the man was on his career.

Giantrobo
02-18-07, 07:18 AM
It has been my understanding that all comics rip from each other. I guess what makes the difference is whether or not the Ripper can take the material to a new level and make it his own, or at least rip it at the right time.

DVD Josh
02-18-07, 09:50 PM
Joe Rogan is one of the biggest assholes on the planet. Great that he outed Mencia, a truly unoriginal entertainer (loosely used), but Rogan just uses the fact that he's a UFC to run his mouth without a leash. Take that out of the equation and he's just a loudmouth fuck with no hair and less talent.

Jimmy James
02-18-07, 09:58 PM
Hey, now. Joe Rogan was a part of the truly great Newsradio. He also was the only thing close to redeeming about Fear Factor. His standup kind of sucks if you ask me, but his website is an amusing once a year read (no more than that due to the lack of updates).

nateman
02-19-07, 10:07 PM
Hey, now. Joe Rogan was a part of the truly great Newsradio.

Indeed.

Rogan confronted Dane Cook about Cook stealing his own jokes.

Fuck i can't stand Dane Cook, I don't understand his comedy at all, hes an asshole (and thats being kind).

Michael Corvin
02-19-07, 11:57 PM
Hey, now. Joe Rogan was a part of the truly great Newsradio.

:lol: Coming from the bossman himself.

I've never had a problem with Rogan, but if I ever did he gets a pass for Newsradio. :)

The article above was an interesting read. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in this day an age, vs. the early 90's with Leary. With everything appearing on the net and everyone having a voice on the net, things will probably pan out differently than if it was 1990.

It's also interesting to see some of the seedy bits of the comedy industry. Maybe Last Comic Standing would have been more successful if they had a joke thief in their cast. :lol:

I applaud Rogan for taking down Mencia and Cook a few pegs.

Michael Corvin
02-20-07, 12:05 AM
Here's a good one from Digg (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/SANDIEGO-CA/MSHO-IP/carlosmencia63006.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=SANDIEGO-CA&NG_FORMAT=other&SITE_ID=63&STATION_ID=MSHO-IP&PCAST_AUTHOR=The%20Mikey%20Show&PCAST_CAT=Talk%20Ra)

It's Ned defending himself on a radio show and in the show he uses a lifted bit. :lol: What a dumbass.

movieking
02-20-07, 04:48 AM
I love Newsradio. It's probably my favorite show of all time. I didn't care for Joe Rogan on the show but he had his moments. I think that he is probably an asshole in real life, given some of the things that I have seen him do, but he is 100% correct in this situation.

Obey The D
03-21-07, 02:09 PM
Looks like Ned hasn't learned his lesson. Now he's stealing from Bill Cosby (http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=253690).

Warning: Video is from Break.com, which may or may not be SFW.

El Scorcho
03-21-07, 02:15 PM
At least he's smart in stealing material from obscure comics nobody's heard of.

Obey The D
03-21-07, 02:19 PM
At least he's smart in stealing material from obscure comics nobody's heard of.

He'll probably do a Honeymooners sketch next week with the twist being that Ralph and Norton are gay.

aktick
03-21-07, 03:24 PM
FYI I see Mencia's going to be on Leno next Wed.

Seantn
03-21-07, 03:50 PM
Leno AND Mencia in the same room. How will we control the laughter.

Rogue588
03-21-07, 04:36 PM

Yeah, Leno better watch it..."Nedwalking" might soon show up on Mind Of Mencia.

outcastja
03-22-07, 10:07 AM
Stealing from Sam Kinison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQWUwDbmOm0

The Infidel
03-22-07, 11:27 AM
I know it was posted on the last page, but here's a direct embed of the Cosby video on YouTube:

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lCixAktGPlg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

jonw9
03-22-07, 11:34 AM
I don't agree with stealing jokes.

I love Mencia's own stuff. He has the one routine about Jello pudding pops, hilarious!

SonOfAStu
03-22-07, 11:50 AM
rogan was on our local morning zoo radio show today. Some really funny stuff. Among other things he made it very clear that:

a. he couldn't figure out how in the hell "Fear Factor" wasn't cancelled immediately.

b. he and Doug both know how terrible their version of the Man Show was. claims that CC lied to them before they did it, telling them how much freedom they were going to have content wise, and then dumping a producer on them that fucked everything up when it came time to start shooting.

c. he was the third person for his role on News Radio, Ray Romano was the original.