Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Online and Brick and Mortar Stores to trade in Dvds/CDs

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-14-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..I was looking to see if there are any online stores or brick and mortars that I may have missed that are good for instant cash or credit.
Ones I have tried are:
Secondspin.com pays cash or credit for dvds and cds(prices seem kind of low often and get dinged a lot for broken cases and condition of cds/dvds)
Dvdplanet,com-pretty good prices on dvds credit only
Wherehouse.com-prices are same as secondspin.om..credit only.
Amoeba...cd prices paid seem ok...parking,location and waiting around is a drag though.
I have not traded in at Blockbuster,Hollywood or FYE but guessing real low on trade in credit.

Any others out that are great with prices etc...?

Last edited by IamLegend; 02-14-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 01:56 PM
Defunct Account

The body of your post didn't address the title. When is BBgoing to start accepting trade-ins? Where did you hear about it?
Old 02-15-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blockbuster gives you credit..very low...one near me even has a "wanted board" with how much they pay...I was hoping other traders know of someplace good to git rid of unwanted stuff that I may not know about..
Old 02-15-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2d Spin and Wherehouse are the same, or at least have the same mailing address. Prices offered are identical (typically $3 for a catalog DVD), *however* Wherehouse will comp your Media Mail shipping up to $3.99.
Old 02-15-07, 03:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would stay away from Spun.com. I have had terrible luck with them. I used them in the past and they would always find 1 or 2 dvd/cds in my shipment and claim that they were scratched. So then I really started to examine my stuff before sending it. If there was even a finger print I would clean them. I even put a piece of bubble wrap in the cases so there would be no floaters in transit. Still got the message saying one was scratched and they would be keeping it unless I paid them to ship it back to me. I complained, they basically said too bad. Strangely, a week later they were selling a used copy of the dvd I traded in that was "scratched".
Old 02-15-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Moviestop if you have one. Trade 4 for 1 on new releases is nice. Especially 4 crappy titles, can equal $20 off a box set.
Old 02-22-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tried out F>Y>E> on trade in not much on average...no moviestops around me...any others out there?
Old 02-22-07, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
www.cashforcds.com is usually good for me. They take games, cds, and dvds.
Old 02-22-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.cashforcds.com -seem like alot of work...you have to list your dvds and then another time have to list condition and then you have to wait for quote...rather know what they paying before all that effort...I submitted a few to see..what is your experience for dvds/cds?
Old 02-27-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

submitted a quote for dvds to cashforcds..never heard back lol...
any others out there?
Old 02-27-07, 06:42 PM

yeah we are closing

i work at compusa store 0219 in la mesa,
our store is closing, i just call my mananger.
liqudating has not been annouced when it will start.
ill keep you posted.
Old 02-28-07, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
any others out there?
I haven't used them in a few months, but the quote should come up as soon as you are done listing the items. Strange...

I've never had a problem with them, always get the pre-paid shipping box within a week, and get the money via paypal about 3 or 4 days after I send out the box. All positive experiences...
Old 02-28-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any others out there?
I tried them a couple weeks back also. Their process is cumbersome in my opinion and at the end of the submitted quote I almost immediately, around 5-10 minutes, received an email saying they weren't going to honor the quote due to inventory and database changes.

Basically it sounds like one would need to go through the hassle of entering any desired titles with the knowledge that anything listed in their database and prices offered isn't necessarily accurate.

Due to inventory and database changes, CashforCDs.com reserves the right to buy or not buy any
CDs or DVDs for which we have provided a quote.
http://www.cashforcds.com/terms.asp
Old 02-28-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Due to inventory and database changes, CashforCDs.com reserves the right to buy or not buy any
CDs or DVDs for which we have provided a quote.

Yea..it seems alot of work to type in all this stuff and not know what you are getting until all those steps..I like secondspin or wherehouse in terms of enter it in and tells you how much...instantly..any others out there or good indie b&ms that pay decent amouts in So California?
Old 03-08-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would advise against ever using a site called uzed.com. They have a history of scamming customers and, unfortunately, I'm in the process of trying to get them to honor payment currently.

Non-existent customer service via either phone or email. Phones just lead to answering machines that don't yield replies. They apparently have a handful of locations scattered around the US, each of which has numerous BBB claims against them as well as has been investigated by The Internet Crime Complaint Center (partially operated by the FBI).

Here are a couple of articles written about them from a Colorado based paper..

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...271081,00.html
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...872903,00.html

Locations and BBB reports.. http://search.bbb.org/Results.aspx?url=uzed.com

Note that the 1601 Republic Rd Unit 104 Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 address also operates under the name Newton Video http://www.newtownvideo.com/home.asp...581F9F00E24637
Old 03-23-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not many choices out there it looks like...
Old 03-23-07, 09:29 AM

this-is-spam.com
I used them several times in the past and had no problems. IMO, though, in the last 5 years all these "we buy your dvds" have been screwing people over by lowering their buy prices. Now, you're lucky to get $6 for a dvd.

Stay away from GameStop, I went into the store and was really impressed with the amount of money they offered me for a bunch of dvds - I said, cool, I'll take the cash instead of the trade/credit offer - oh, sir, if you take the cash then the price we pay you is in cut in half! Told them to screw off and walked out.

Dont know what freaking problem is with the hyperlink but it wont work go to this-is-spam.com

Fuck it - I am being blocked with this spam message bullshit.

Last edited by CinemaNut; 03-23-07 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well we're buying a new house and want to get rid of a lot of clutter so I went yesterday to a local used chain called Dimple Records in Northern CA. I took in a little over 1400 DVDs (I kept only my TV shows and HD/Blu Rays). I got a little under $3000 cash. I think it was like $3400 credit or something like that if I didnt want cash. Even though I felt like I got raped, I just said screw it, take them since I stopped collectiong standard DVDs about 6 months ago and my gf HATED the amount of room they took up in 2 different rooms.

Most of the major release DVDs only got about $2.50-$3, nowhere near $6 I had alot of crap in there too that brought the average down
Old 04-02-07, 07:35 PM
JMG

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
Well we're buying a new house and want to get rid of a lot of clutter so I went yesterday to a local used chain called Dimple Records in Northern CA. I took in a little over 1400 DVDs (I kept only my TV shows and HD/Blu Rays). I got a little under $3000 cash. I think it was like $3400 credit or something like that if I didnt want cash. Even though I felt like I got raped, I just said screw it, take them since I stopped collectiong standard DVDs about 6 months ago and my gf HATED the amount of room they took up in 2 different rooms.

Most of the major release DVDs only got about $2.50-$3, nowhere near $6 I had alot of crap in there too that brought the average down

Dimple records is one of the worst places to trade in stuff. they offer you nothing and then price them for sale just below retail prices.

Now that gamestop/ebgames stopped cash trade ins all the crackheads go to dimples with there stolen goodies and bring down the trade in payouts.

Let me know if you decide to ever do that with your tv/hd/bluray dvds. I'll beat there price damn it! : )
Old 04-02-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JMG
Dimple records is one of the worst places to trade in stuff. they offer you nothing and then price them for sale just below retail prices.

Now that gamestop/ebgames stopped cash trade ins all the crackheads go to dimples with there stolen goodies and bring down the trade in payouts.

Let me know if you decide to ever do that with your tv/hd/bluray dvds. I'll beat there price damn it! : )
yea I know but I'm moving april 30th and I really didn't want to move them all. theres nowhere else to really sell them now since eb/gamestop stopped buying. amazon is a joke because everyone undercuts eachother so bad that you're listing dvds for 99 cents just to get on the first page.
if hd dvd fails maybe ill take you up on that offer lol I have about 150 of them .
Old 07-05-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wll I tried Uzed.com and Guess What?-I got Ripped Off!
Any other "reputable sites that I could trade in some cds and dvds that pay more then 25 cents besides Wherehouse,Spun,Secondspin?
Here is what you get when going to the site:

Uzed.com is temporarily offline

Due to dramatic changes and challenges within the music and media retail industries over the past 18 months Uzed.com is temporarily off line. All payments will be issued to the best of our ability and as soon as reasonably possible. We thank you for your patronage over the past 5 years and hope that the millions of dollars that we have paid out during this period of time have benefited our customers. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause. If you have any questions regarding your order please contact [email protected]. Please provide the date of your order, your order number and an email/phone number to communicate back to you. Please be patient for your reply, we will communicate with everyone who contacts us in reasonable (short) period of time. Again thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Uzed.com
Old 07-05-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wll I tried Uzed.com and Guess What?-I got Ripped Off!
Any other "reputable sites that I could trade in some cds and dvds that pay more then 25 cents besides Wherehouse,Spun,Secondspin?
Here is what you get when going to the site:

Uzed.com is temporarily offline

Due to dramatic changes and challenges within the music and media retail industries over the past 18 months Uzed.com is temporarily off line. All payments will be issued to the best of our ability and as soon as reasonably possible. We thank you for your patronage over the past 5 years and hope that the millions of dollars that we have paid out during this period of time have benefited our customers. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause. If you have any questions regarding your order please contact [email protected]. Please provide the date of your order, your order number and an email/phone number to communicate back to you. Please be patient for your reply, we will communicate with everyone who contacts us in reasonable (short) period of time. Again thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Uzed.com
Yet they seem to have no problem still operating at their other address and just changing the name (the site is identical).

http://www.newtownvideo.com
Old 07-05-07, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by abintra
Yet they seem to have no problem still operating at their other address and just changing the name (the site is identical).

http://www.newtownvideo.com
Newtownvideo is horrible. I made the mistake of buying from them on half.com, and I've recently seen them on Amazon selling used DVDs. They list everything as 'like new' in order to charge the most for it, but every single DVD they shipped was badly scratched. One was even broken off the hub, and the hub wasn't even loose in the case, which means they knew it was gone when they shipped it. Getting an RMA was a pain, they took a week to reply to any email, and their phone always went straight to voice mail.

Avoid newtownvideo at all costs!
Old 07-18-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so to trade in to a reputable online site:
We have Dvdplanet,Wherehouse,Secondspin,Mmx123
unfortunately to trade in cds or dvds for cash they pay peanuts.
Any other reputable sites?
Old 07-18-07, 05:19 PM

is there a vast difference between the prices stores will pay for used items?does it also depend on the condition they're in? i have an FYE relatively close to me, but i do know of DVD Planet B&M store near me and Suncoast (same company as FYE, right?) as well. so if i take the same item, is it likely that i'd get, say, $10 at FYE, and then $15 at suncoast? or do most stores use a standard guide (ex. customer receives 35% of MSRP) to determine it. i used the DVD planet price quote thing on the website, so does that mean i'd get a comparable price in-store?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.