Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any reason Hollywood and Movie Gallery aren't carrying School for Scoundrels

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-14-07, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rent from Movie gallery and they didn't have it yesterday. It's not even listed in their little magazine of upcoming releases. My friend told me that Hollywood didn't have it either. He had to go to Blockbuster to rent it. I know MG owns Hollywood so I'm guessing it's the same reason for both
Old 02-14-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
School For Scoundrels is a Weinstein Company movie and all of their titles are Blockbuster Exclusives.
Old 02-14-07, 08:27 AM

That sucks.
Old 02-14-07, 10:20 AM

There are a lot of indy stores and Netflix that are going to be carrying the Weinstein DVD's, regardless of the Weinstein deal with Blockbuster. They indys will just purchase the titles at Wal*Mart or Best Buy and rent them out. Netflix says that they will use a "legal" means of aquiring the titles, but that they will be carrying them on release date.
Old 02-15-07, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by packaok
There are a lot of indy stores and Netflix that are going to be carrying the Weinstein DVD's, regardless of the Weinstein deal with Blockbuster. They indys will just purchase the titles at Wal*Mart or Best Buy and rent them out. Netflix says that they will use a "legal" means of aquiring the titles, but that they will be carrying them on release date.
We don't have any indy stores around here anymore and I don't use netflix. Movie Gallery is the only rental store in my town. I work the night shift so every tuesday I go around opening time and grab the new releases. I would have to drive around 25 minutes to get to Hollywood or Blockbuster and I don't think I've rented anything from blockbuster in 5+ years.

Was the documentary, This Film is Not Yet Rated, a Weinstein movie? Movie Gallery didn't have it the other week either.
Old 02-15-07, 08:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Super J

Was the documentary, This Film is Not Yet Rated, a Weinstein movie? Movie Gallery didn't have it the other week either.
'This Film...' is an IFC release.
Old 02-15-07, 08:21 AM

Blockbuster doesn't carry "This Film..." either
Old 02-15-07, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doctor X
Blockbuster doesn't carry "This Film..." either

I think it's the fact, that the big chains knows this film is essentially rated NC-17 in content, even though it carries no rating. Those chains claim they don't carry rent or sell films NC-17 rated films but rent out unrated films like 'Dawn of the Dead' , 'Evil Dead' etc., that carry no said rating, but just let it slide because they turn a blind eye to hardcore violence/gore.

Last edited by Giles; 02-15-07 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I think it's the fact, that the big chains knows this film is essentially rated NC-17 in content, even though it carries no rating. Those chains claim they don't carry rent or sell films NC-17 rated films but rent out unrated films like 'Dawn of the Dead' , 'Evil Dead' etc., that carry no said rating, but just let it slide because they turn a blind eye to hardcore violence/gore.

School for Scoundrels? Its rated pg-13, not even close to NC-17.
Old 02-15-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adiras
School for Scoundrels? Its rated pg-13, not even close to NC-17.

The poster is talking about 'This Film Is Not Yet Rated'...that's the essentially NC-17 movie.
Old 02-15-07, 12:43 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

TFINYR was rated NC-17 because it showed the hypocrisy and lack of critical standards of the MPAA. In an ironic twist, the "unrated" DVD is on sale at walmart.com.
Old 02-15-07, 12:55 PM

yeah weinstein will only allow blockbuster to rent. I know there is an ongoing legal battle
Old 02-15-07, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrE
TFINYR was rated NC-17 because it showed the hypocrisy and lack of critical standards of the MPAA. In an ironic twist, the "unrated" DVD is on sale at walmart.com.
no, no... that was the intent on the filmmaker's behalf, knowing full well that they would receive a NC-17 rating, but didn't accept it knowing that Walmart and I believe Target have lessened their restriction on 'unrated' DVD's and would more than likely sell them.

Last edited by Giles; 02-15-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 01:13 PM

This just seems like something that is going to increase piracy. "I can"t get it here and I can't get it here, but I can get it here for free." I see this happening a lot.
Old 02-15-07, 03:19 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

TFINYR did receive an NC-17 rating ... which was then "surrendered".
Old 02-15-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Dunno about Movie Gallery, but Hollywood has no policy against NC-17 titles; I've seen several in local stores. They also carry a fair number of unrated movies with NC-17-equivalent sexual content, like the director's cut of Where the Truth Lies. They don't carry This Film Is Not Yet Rated (although it is listed in Hollywood's master inventory), possibly because it hits too close to home (I haven't seen it, but I believe Hollywood did have a policy against NC-17 movies at one point, so they may come in for some criticism) or possibly because Hollywood isn't on the best terms with IFC's DVD distributor (who also happen to distribute Weinstein Company titles).

Last edited by Dan Average; 02-16-07 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a heads-up...my local Hollywood Video had two shelves of School For Scoundrels today. They were all rented out but at least they're trying to get copies.
Old 02-20-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrE
TFINYR did receive an NC-17 rating ... which was then "surrendered".
But he never sent them back their piece of paper.
Old 02-20-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

School for Scoundrels is an all media USA release through Weinstein Company and they have an exclusive BlockBuster only rental deal for their titles starting 2007 releases (if I remember correctly this was a 3-year deal).

There are 2 versions released Unrated and PG-13.

NetFlix "label" DVD's are being released through Genius Products (which is controlled by The Weinstein Company). The deal cuts NetFlix out of the exclusive. However, they and others are obtaining the DVD's outside their normal rental channels (see http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6417037.html)

"Under the First Sale Doctrine, all rental retailers have the legal right to rent TWC's titles, but they will have to purchase them from another source and will not have the option of revenue-sharing." from http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6391512.html
Old 02-20-07, 04:00 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just slightly further off-topic, does anyone know if there's a significance in the change in the "This Film..." cover art from a smaller all-black "censor box" to a larger oval with the review quote in it? Is the former going to be harder to find, or did they print equal quantities of each cover?

Last edited by Mike Adams; 02-20-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I would think legally that any store could sell it, if it could get a copy (and obviously you can just pick-up a copy at any large retailer). I'm speak out my ass a bit, but Copyright law has a doctrine of First Sale rule which basically says you can control distribution, but once you sell it, the buyer can resell it as he wants. Plus, trying to control the market like that smells on antitrust violations (kind of like patent abuse).
Old 02-20-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
yeah weinstein will only allow blockbuster to rent. I know there is an ongoing legal battle
The fact that it's a legal battle is moronic. There are a lot of stores that get exclusives, and not just in the world of DVD. I think those legal battles are just cry babies who can't get over the fact that they lost out on the deal. They should get over it.
Old 02-20-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This film is not yet rated is fucking hard to find indeed. i have looked at almost every store in the city (winnipeg) and i can't find it. can anyone that is from the peg tell me if they know a place that sells it?

thanks.