Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : TV show with the best soundtrack?

mytzplyx
02-13-07, 04:32 AM
I'm sure it's not just me, but a lot of the music I end up liking was first introduced to me through TV shows. I was wondering which shows you all think have the best music?

Now, I follow what I think to be a rather large library of TV shows regularly - Veronica Mars, Boston Legal, Everybody Hate Chris, Smallville, Prison Break, 24, Rome, the Wire, Heroes, Entourage, Dancelife, the Hills, Laguna Beach (don't hate. don't hate) are just a few to come to mind....basically, I watch a lot of TV (very eclectic too).

My opinion? Smallville. This, despite the fact that my favorite music is HipHop, Rap, and R&B (Smallville rarely has any of this genre - Bow Wow is the exception).

What do you all think? I'm a big music fan and I'm always up for new stuff.

Count Dooku
02-13-07, 05:49 AM
Scrubs and My Name Is Earl

rfduncan
02-13-07, 08:09 AM
Scrubs BIG TIME. Also the Buffy soundtracks have great music on them too. :up:

If you're into "8 track rock" (e.g. old school CCR, AC/DC), Supernatural has some kickin' tunes too.

Ayre
02-13-07, 08:20 AM
Oops I read this as score not soundtrack.

Palaver
02-13-07, 08:33 AM

Ditto on both

superdeluxe
02-13-07, 10:07 AM
X-files soundtrack (not the pop music one). But the music of the shows music director.

Great stuff.

Michael Corvin
02-13-07, 11:06 AM
So we aren't talking actually released albums but just the show in general?

Smallville has both the pop side and the score(with Mark Snow) angle covered. I'd have to put that at the top of the list. I'm not a fan of pop music, but Smallville uses it well and I generally enjoy it. Just when I think Mark Snow gets into an Xfiles funk, every couple of weeks he manages to surprises me with something unique.

Scrubs & Earl are excellent for the music, but lack a strong score, so they are down just a notch.

24 and Lost both have great scores. The first season of 24 was stellar, easily the best. Lost benefits from having a full orchestra which is unheard of for television.

Bronkster
02-13-07, 12:04 PM
Going to a few older shows - Northern Exposure had great stuff (although I think much of it was replaced for the DVDs, so that sucks), and Miami Vice had great music.

Shannon Nutt
02-13-07, 12:06 PM
Twin Peaks had some great stuff from Julie Cruise.

The Sopranos regularly features some great tunes.

The Wonder Years is a no-brainer for this thread. :)

Thos19
02-13-07, 12:08 PM
Supernatural

Thos.

MrX
02-13-07, 12:12 PM
Supernatural

Thos19
02-13-07, 12:18 PM
Beat you ! :D

Thos.

Michael Corvin
02-13-07, 01:37 PM
The Wonder Years is a no-brainer for this thread. :)

As well as Quantum Leap. Pretty much any period show. Freaks & Geeks is another.

kvrdave
02-13-07, 02:26 PM
Scrubs. Bones. House.

Brent_MN
02-13-07, 03:48 PM
The O.C. Come on!!

hardercore
02-13-07, 04:11 PM
LOST. And that's it. No other TV show music comes close.

BlueCC
02-13-07, 04:33 PM
The correct answer is: Globe Trekker

dhmac
02-13-07, 07:46 PM
Of current shows...

Best composed score: LOST

Best song soundtrack: Supernatural

critterdvd
02-13-07, 08:16 PM
'Grey's Anatomy' and 'One Tree Hill' have my vote in this category...

DJariya
02-13-07, 08:22 PM
American Dreams had the best soundtrack IMO.

Classic 60's tunes, which is the reason Season 2-3 probably won't get a DVD release.

Nabalab
02-13-07, 09:03 PM
I thought "Freaks and Geeks" had some great tunes.

smashthesymbols
02-13-07, 09:26 PM
Definitely. Both have music that not only fits the show and scenes well, but is just great music to begin with. I've actually discovered a few bands through Scrubs over the years.

How I Met Your Mother hasn't been doing too bad with music either.

GreenVulture
02-13-07, 09:32 PM
The Sopranos, as far as I'm concerned, if we're counting licensed music.

I'm actually in the middle of creating a compilation of all the songs they've used since Season 1, and I'm blown away by the diversity and knack the music editors have for picking out fantastic tunes (and how they often fit the scene perfectly), whether they're very popular or very obscure. I think it says something that out of the hundreds of songs I've amassed so far, I find about 95% of it pretty damn listenable.

Classic rock, doo-wop, blues, metal, alternative, hip-hop, techno, dance, R&B, country, jazz, worldbeat, opera, classical...just about any genre you can name has been represented in the show, whether the chosen song came out in the 1930's or a couple of years ago. Just great stuff overall.

movieguru
02-13-07, 09:56 PM
Star Trek: The Next Generation

conscience
02-13-07, 10:00 PM
I know I am beating a dead horse with my love for <b>Six Feet Under</b>, but the majority of the music that plays during the show is strongly relevant to what is going on within the respective scenes -- instead of music for music's sake.

For example, a simple song such as Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway fits so perfectly within the specific scene involving Claire in one of the last episodes of the final season (All Alone).

nateman
02-13-07, 10:01 PM
Scrubs
ER
Third Watch
My name is Earl

i like that pop adult stuff that the tv shows play while the charaters are contempalnting the meaning of life, scrubs pulls it off the best i think, and thats saying something cause its a comedy.
ER did a bang up job as well, not so much in the last couple of years through, some of the mark green stuff after he got beat up was some of the best.