Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Okay, maybe it's just me...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...but has anyone else been following the this thread in the Review forum with some degree of amusement? On one hand, it seems like a thinly veiled and obvious attempt at viral marketing. These same people have been posting at other movie sites around the Internet, and never talk about anything but this one movie.

http://forums.monstersandcritics.com...read.php?t=476
http://www.movieweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13992
http://www.moviesonline.ca/forum/vie...php?pid=142242

So you're thinking, this has to be viral marketing. How could anyone really be this excited about this movie? I mean really. And not just the movie, but these guys are freaking about the documentary on the making of the movie, like it was a Star Wars/Lord of the Rings cross-over movie directed by Akira Kurosawa.

But on the other hand, what if they just really, really, really like this movie? If they were just viral marketers, wouldn't they give up after their attempts to generate excitement went completely unheeded for months on end? It would be kinda sad if their thread got locked after all of that. So I didn't want to say anything at first. I feel kinda guilty even bringing it up now. But now the thread has ballooned to 72 posts (possibly a Review Forum record??) and no one but the two or three of them have even posted in it. So I'm thinking surely I'm not the only one who's noticed this thread. Is everyone else just setting back and watching what happens, or am the only person who's given it any thought?

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 02-12-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Catch.

I pulled out the ban stick and swept away those scummy marketers.
Old 02-12-07, 06:26 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL, I get the feeling that R.W. and LadyR are the same person... and then rani2aj, the way the person writes (the style that is,) is too similar. Funny stuff though, to carry on for three pages. Oh the passion!
Old 02-12-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by hal9000
LOL, I get the feeling that R.W. and LadyR are the same person
Possibly, although the IPs are very different, which is why I let that thread slide for such a long time. It seemed suspicious, but I didn't have any concrete evidence that anything fishy was going on.
Old 02-12-07, 08:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
B&G is distributed by Union Station Media. Union Station Media is a U.S. distributor formed jointly by Canadian-based Alliance Atlantis Motion Picture Distribution and Australia’s Arclight Films.

One of the posters in that thread who also posts at all those other sites is from Australia. But that's all that I could tell without seeing the suspiciously similar behavior at all the other sites. Plus others:

http://forum.agentdvdonline.com/showthread.php?t=9
http://www.chronicles-network.com/fo...d-grendel.html
Old 02-12-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Ive been following that thread, it was very strange. The fact that that's their only posts basically and they all have R names seemed strange as well.
Old 02-12-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Joe Molotov

However did you figure out we were a bunch of internet shills? I thought we were being pretty slick. LOLOLOL

it's a shame more of DVD Talk couldn't enjoy our inane conversation for a bit longer. I'm sure more members would find Gerard Butler as attractive as we did.ahahahahaha.

Ohwell. I have to go watch a fabulous movie called Grendel & Beowolf again. Perhaps you have heard of it?LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Rogue
Old 02-13-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll miss them.

Sorry, viral marketers.
Old 02-13-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Hi Joe Molotov

However did you figure out we were a bunch of internet shills? I thought we were being pretty slick. LOLOLOL

it's a shame more of DVD Talk couldn't enjoy our inane conversation for a bit longer. I'm sure more members would find Gerard Butler as attractive as we did.ahahahahaha.

Ohwell. I have to go watch a fabulous movie called Grendel & Beowolf again. Perhaps you have heard of it?LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Rogue

Yeah, I pre-ordered 150 copies of the documentary Wrath of Gods, I am going to share them with my friends, but will probably keep a few for myself, just to look at.
Old 02-13-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Beowulf and Grendel?

I loved it. It was much better than "Cats."
Old 02-13-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Beowulf and Grendel?

I loved it. It was much better than "Cats."
Watch it again!