DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : A Return Visit To "Troy"

fryinpan1
02-12-07, 01:14 PM
I loved Troy, so hopefully this extended cut will get an HD release sometime in 2007.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070212b.php

A Return Visit To "Troy"
Posted: Monday February 12th 2007 1:12am
Source: Assorted Sources
Author: Garth Franklin

Break out the leather togas and baby oil, Wolfgang Petersen is delivering a director's cut version of his 2004 sword and sandals epic "Troy" reports the trades.

The 162 minute theatrical cut is being expanded by half an hour and will feature much more sex and violence in the film which starred the often bare-chested likes of Brad Pitt, Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom.

Petersen hopes the new version, much like his 1997 hour longer director's cut of "Das Boot", will be seen as the definitive version of the film.

The $150 million budget "Troy" made a disappointing $133 million at the domestic box-office, but internationally was one of the year's biggest success stories with a $364 million foreign tally in receipts - adding up to a half billion dollars in revenue for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The new cut, which Warner Home Video is forking over a million dollars in expenses for, gets a limited theatrical re-release in Germany next month, and a DVD (and potential limited theatrical) release in many territories later this year.

It also adds to the growing list of recent splashy new alternate cuts by high profile directors to films in their pantheons like Richard Donner's "Superman II," Brian Helgeland's "Payback," Oliver Stone's "Alexander" and Barry Levinson's "The Natural".

fumanstan
02-12-07, 01:16 PM
I enjoyed Troy as well, so I'd be interested in seeing what's in store for this.

fryinpan1
02-12-07, 01:20 PM
Another link:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117959228.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Posted: Sun., Feb. 11, 2007, 3:46pm PTPetersen to 'Troy' again
Director's cut bows at Berlin
By DIANE GARRETT

Warner Home Video has ponied up more than $1 million for a new director's cut of Wolfgang Petersen's "Troy," which will bow Saturday at the Berlin Film Festival before receiving a limited theatrical re-release in Germany on March 23.
Project, the latest in a series of homevideo do-overs for big-name directors, is the second such enterprise for Petersen, who revisited "Das Boot" 10 years ago. The director spent three months working on the new version, adding more sex and violence -- and about a half hour -- to a movie some already considered long at 162 minutes.

To accommodate the extra footage, he had to get SAG clearances from the actors involved.

"This is more the film I wanted it to be," Petersen said. "It's very violent, but that's Homer and 'The Iliad.' "

The director said time constraints and ratings pressures took their toll on the original theatrical version, which was a hit overseas but considered a disappointment at the domestic B.O.

It earned $364 million in international markets and $133 million Stateside.

Recutting a film after it's made almost half a billion, "the sword is not hanging over your head," Petersen told Daily Variety. "You can give it more time to breathe."

Although the homevid division is underwriting the director's cut, there is no release date set. Petersen said he planned to record a commentary and work on additional bonus material for that release, expected sometime later in the year.

Regardless of when it bows, Petersen hopes it becomes accepted as the true "Troy," much as his director's cut of "Das Boot" has been. "Das Boot" was originally released on homevideo following its 1981 theatrical bow. Sony's vid arm released the hour longer director's cut on disc in 1997.

Meanwhile, Oliver Stone is working on a final cut of "Alexander," due March 27 from Warner homevid, and Barry Levinson revisited "The Natural" for a director's cut due from Sony on April 3. Warner released Richard Donner's version of "Superman II" in November, almost 30 years after the producers fired him during production of the sequel.

If all goes well with the new "Troy," Petersen said, it could be re-released theatrically beyond Germany before its homevid bow in various territories.

"Don't we all want a second chance?" Petersen said. "That's what's great about DVD."

Fincher Fan
02-12-07, 02:14 PM
Sounds good. I'm not a fan of the film in it's current state but it looks like this could be worthwhile.

canaryfarmer
02-12-07, 02:42 PM
It probably won't, but it'd be nice if this version had the original soundtrack by Gabriel Yared instead of that godawful score by Horner.

Josh H
02-12-07, 03:18 PM
Sounds good, I like the current cut but feels like a lot is missing. An expanded cut could possibly improve it greatly ala Kingdom of Heaven.

MisterHowie
02-12-07, 03:30 PM
Looking forward to it! Greater violent intensity is what it needs as the source material, the Iliad, is incredibly violent and explicit about its violence. Do we think an HD release is likely too?

Maxflier
02-12-07, 03:48 PM
Hoping it gets an HD DVD release, but i'll pick it up either way.

devilshalo
02-12-07, 03:56 PM
I'd be very interested as I thought the theatrical cut was only so so.

DJariya
02-12-07, 04:30 PM
Good news I guess, even though I bought the damn DVD last weekend at Best Buy for 4.99. Oh well, at least I can consider that DVD a supplement to this definitive version. Good to hear Petersen is recording a commentary this time around.

Duder
02-13-07, 01:36 AM
Hell yes! I've been wanting a longer, harder cut of this movie ever since I saw it in the theater and heard rumors of it being severely cut down.

starman9000
02-13-07, 07:28 AM
Hopefully this is good, maybe they can package it with the new Alexander cut as the Brangelina Extended Classics 2 pack.

Are there any other recent Epic movies waiting for DC? We have:
Alexander X2
Troy
Kingdom of Heaven
King Arthur
Gladiator

I wonder if Mel has a couple reels of extra Braveheart he can whip together?

fryinpan1
02-13-07, 08:31 AM
Are there any other recent Epic movies waiting for DC? We have:
Alexander X2
Troy
Kingdom of Heaven
King Arthur
Gladiator

I wonder if Mel has a couple reels of extra Braveheart he can whip together?

The New World?

wennma01
02-13-07, 12:18 PM
i really liked the original cut so i'll be looking foward to this director's cut

PopcornTreeCt
02-13-07, 10:13 PM
Maybe this cut will have the rumored full frontal nudity.

Rypro 525
02-14-07, 12:53 AM
Maybe this cut will have the rumored full frontal nudity.
of the chick :drool: or Brad? :yack:

mdc3000
02-14-07, 07:42 AM
I'd pick this up for sure...I really liked Troy a lot... I've been wanting to get the HD DVD, but I'll wait and see if this new cut hits HD.

SmackDaddy
02-14-07, 10:20 AM
Meanwhile, Oliver Stone is working on a final cut of "Alexander," due March 27 from Warner homevid, and Barry Levinson revisited "The Natural" for a director's cut due from Sony on April 3. Warner released Richard Donner's version of "Superman II" in November, almost 30 years after the producers fired him during production of the sequel.

Anyone have an info on this????? It's one of my favorites.

Michael Corvin
02-14-07, 10:38 AM
Sounds good. I'm not a fan of the film in it's current state but it looks like this could be worthwhile.

Ditto.

soop
02-14-07, 11:58 AM
I saw this in the theater on a whim with a group of friends. All five of us despised it from start to finish. And yet, I'm curious about this extended cut. I really doubt this turd can be polished, but you never know...

DJariya
02-14-07, 12:52 PM
Anyone have an info on this????? It's one of my favorites.

There is already a thread about this. You can also do to www.dvdactive.com and they have a full story and artwork as well.

bgmat58
02-17-07, 02:23 AM
the natural is on amazon already as well for pre-order...

bgmat58
02-17-07, 02:23 AM

bgmat58
02-17-07, 02:24 AM

bgmat58

bgmat58

bgmat58

canaryfarmer
02-17-07, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, I just heard from a few sources that the natural is on amazon already for pre-order!

gerrythedon
04-03-07, 01:13 AM
Troy: Director's Cut

First it was Ridley Scott with "Kingdom of Heaven," then Oliver Stone with "Alexander" and now it's Wolfgang Peterson's turn to re-jigger a big budget epic. According to Daily Variety, Warner Home Video has shelled out more than $1 million for a new Troy: Director's Cut. The director spent three months working on the new version, adding more sex and violence - and a half hour - to a movie some already considered long at 162 minutes.

The director states that time constraints and ratings pressures took their toll on the original theatrical version. "This is more the film I wanted it to be," Petersen said. "It's very violent, but that's Homer and 'The Iliad.'" The new cut, which screened at the 2007 Berlin Film Festival in February, will see a limited theatrical run in Germany beginning on April 19th and is expected to be released on home video later in the year (possibly September).

Petersen plans to record an audio commentary and produce new bonus features for the DVD. Regardless, the director hopes that the new extended cut will be seen as the definitive version of the film, much like his 1997 director's cut of "Das Boot."

DAVISDVD.com

cisman
04-03-07, 08:49 AM
I'll be in for this as well! I loved Troy and 30 extra minutes is ok by me:) I guess I'll have to eBay my current version or give it away.

Of course my mind might be changed if it's Brad full frontal :(

clappj
04-03-07, 09:43 AM

Sorry, but could you repeat that?

fryinpan1
04-03-07, 10:14 AM
IMDB.com lists Troy (director's cut) with a theatrical release of April 19 in Germany. Hopefully, some websites will report what additions have been made.

stingermck
04-03-07, 02:40 PM
I wonder if this is due to 300? I re-watched Troy the other day on HD, and as much as I like it, I just kept comparing it to 300. Shrug

MoviePage
04-15-07, 09:21 PM
I hated the theatrical cut. It's about as far from Homer as you can get. That's like calling 300 an adaptation of Herodotus.

I'd check out a longer cut just out of curiosity.

thursdaynighter
04-18-07, 11:09 AM
I know it's not historically accurate but as an action movie it's very entertaining. Would love to see an extended version.

CinemaNut
04-18-07, 12:03 PM
Good news! I like TROY much more than Alexander.

mh4268
04-18-07, 01:07 PM
I'm still waiting for a DC of The 13th Warrior. May pick this up, enjoyed this but always up for more violence and nudity.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
04-18-07, 02:10 PM
I was hoping that "A Return Visit to Troy" meant a completely new film. Oh well.

mike45
04-18-07, 06:25 PM
If only Wolfgang Peterson would have a Director's Cut where Orlando Bloom's character Paris would get killed in the last frame, then I would buy it.

fryinpan1
04-23-07, 11:45 AM
German review of the director's cut:

http://www.moviemaze.de/filme/1842/troja-directors-cut.html

you can translate it from German to English here:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

http://www.google.com/translate_t

Nick Martin
04-23-07, 06:16 PM
Here's the translated page, thanks to the links above:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moviemaze.de%2Ffilme%2F1842%2Ftroja-directors-cut.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Translated:

"From the 160 201 minutes became and from a moderate, an outstanding maintenance film"

Damn I can't wait to see this, if it's really that maintenance, I'll love it!

maingon
04-23-07, 10:02 PM
I really liked Troy, I thought it was much better then Gladitor and other recent films. I did like Kingdom of Heaven DC more though.

rexinnih
04-24-07, 08:18 AM
Wasn't a huge fan of the movie the first time around, but I'm always up for extended, director's cuts.

Tarantino
04-24-07, 05:20 PM
Here's the translated page, thanks to the links above:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moviemaze.de%2Ffilme%2F1842%2Ftroja-directors-cut.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Translated:

"From the 160 201 minutes became and from a moderate, an outstanding maintenance film"

Damn I can't wait to see this, if it's really that maintenance, I'll love it!

Sweet. I'm always up for a little more maintenance.

= J

Hal
06-21-07, 12:25 PM
<a href=http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=528><b>First pic</b></a> of the AWESOME packaging for Troy Director's Cut DVD.

OMG! :jawdrop:

fryinpan1
06-21-07, 12:28 PM
<a href=http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=528><b>First pic</b></a> of the AWESOME packaging for Troy Director's Cut DVD.

OMG! :jawdrop:

Looks very nice. I hope the USA gets similar packaging.

steebo777
06-21-07, 12:50 PM
Nice!

Bandit03
06-21-07, 01:23 PM
:thumbsup: Love the packaging, hopefully its the same in the states.

Dr Mabuse
06-21-07, 01:33 PM
this thread is hilarious...

is the natural on amazon for pre-order?... i'm still laughing...

"if it's really that maintenance..." hilarious...

i liked Troy... great film...

Maxflier
06-21-07, 01:34 PM
Why do I get the feeling our packaging will be nothing like that...

islandclaws
06-21-07, 01:50 PM
Oh man, that's some sexy packaging. Exactly what I'd love to own, which, ironically, means it won't be coming out here. I'm sure we'll get the requisite 2-disc digipak style, maybe embossed or with some :oohhh: raised lettering! I liked the movie, though, so I'll be buying this extended cut. Historically accurate or not, it entertained me and that's good enough for me.

Hal
06-21-07, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hal

OMG!

Looks very nice. I hope the USA gets similar packaging..

I think this is USA packaging...

CTroutt
06-21-07, 07:44 PM
From the Google translation of the review webpage:

Only Orlando Bloom draws still the lot of the film nincompoop.

Google translates to Bloomglish?? The wonders never cease... ;)

thursdaynighter
06-21-07, 11:11 PM
I know some people despise this movie but I really enjoy it. Sort of popcorn history, albeit with factual errors. Hopefully the DC makes it even better like Kingdom of Heaven.

Michael Corvin
06-22-07, 08:48 AM
Nice packaging. I'll have to wait for a review as I wasn't a fan of the film. I wonder if all the extra footage will be enough to turn it around for me.

DeputyDave
06-22-07, 10:54 AM
I never considered Troy (the movie) to be historical. Let's face it, no one really knows if a battle took place and people even argue whether or not the actual city of Troy existed at all. So I never take any "inaccuracies" seriously (I actually get angrier when they screw up a Stephen King adaptation).
Looking at in the context of Sword/fantasy; Troy is an excellent entry. I am very much looking forward to the extended cut.

Oh... awesome packaging!!! :up:

thursdaynighter
06-22-07, 11:09 AM
Looking at in the context of Sword/fantasy; Troy is an excellent entry. I am very much looking forward to the extended cut.

Oh... awesome packaging!!! :up:

Exactly, good way to look at it. It's great escapism.

Nick Martin
06-22-07, 12:13 PM
My comment will undoubtedly piss people off, but considering how much hate there is, good:

I'm glad Horner's replacement score remains intact. :D

PopcornTreeCt
06-22-07, 12:59 PM
I really liked Troy. I liked the way they choreographed the fight scenes. The fight scene between Bana and Pitt is pretty awesome.

I remember watching 300 and yawning thinking to myself I saw that fighting style in Troy. Couldn't you at least make up your own?

Michael Corvin
06-22-07, 01:15 PM
I really liked Troy. I liked the way they choreographed the fight scenes. The fight scene between Bana and Pitt is pretty awesome.

I remember watching 300 and yawning thinking to myself I saw that fighting style in Troy. Couldn't you at least make up your own?

And to me sitting there watching Troy I kept thinking to myself, a CG version of Braveheart, how original and lackluster to boot.

danicus007
06-22-07, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to this release. I thought Troy was great and would welcome another 30 minutes of sex and violence.

BTW...isn't all of this stuff 'mythology?' I don't really consider that to be historical.

RocShemp
06-28-07, 11:25 PM
I see from the German review that the score was completely changed as well. At first I thought that meant that they went with Gabriel Yared's score this time around but the review mentions that the female vocalist is completely absent from the score in this new cut. Both James Horner and Gabriel Yared used Tanja Tzarovska as their vocalist in their respective scores for this film. So if she's absent, this is obviously a third score that has been recorded for Troy. But who wrote the new score?

MTRodaba2468
06-29-07, 12:40 AM
I thought Troy was OK. I wouldn't mind checking out the DC. Afterall, I thought the same about Kingdom Of Heaven's theatrical version, and the DC is MUCH better.

Dr. DVD
06-29-07, 04:07 PM
Damn! I might be triple dipping on this title. Got the original, then upgraded to HD, now this. However, I will only buy if it is in the HD format and has that packaging.

Nick Martin
06-29-07, 04:43 PM
the review mentions that the female vocalist is completely absent from the score in this new cut. Both James Horner and Gabriel Yared used Tanja Tzarovska as their vocalist in their respective scores for this film. So if she's absent, this is obviously a third score that has been recorded for Troy. But who wrote the new score?

I made my own version of the Horner soundtrack, completely removing all traces of Tzarovska's awful vocals, but they served as bookends for the music anyway.

In an interview (in German) Petersen said they used Horner's score but re-edited it, and included 3 additional 'licensed' pieces of music as well.

RocShemp
06-29-07, 04:58 PM
Interesting. I didn't have any problem with Tanja Tzarovska's vocals. I didn't realise they were disliked enough to cut her out of the score entirely.

I assume the "licensed" music are simply pieces of score from other movies (similar to what was done in the score of both cuts of Kingdom of Heaven and other movies). Will the Josh Groban song still be there? And do you have a link to the interview, Nick Martin?

fryinpan1
07-09-07, 10:38 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070709/20070709005347.html?.v=1

Source: Warner Home Video

Troy Director's Cut Debuts on a Two-Disc DVD, UCE, HD and Blu-ray from Warner Home Video September 18
Monday July 9, 9:00 am ET

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On September 18, Warner Home Video will debut Wolfgang Petersen's all-new, unrated version -- not seen in theatres -- of his epic film Troy. With 30 minutes of new footage, Troy Director's Cut, including special features from its first DVD release, will be available in collectible O-sleeve packaging and will sell for $20.97 SRP. HD DVD and Blu-ray disc versions will debut simultaneously at $34.99 SRP.
Also offered will be the Troy Ultimate Collector's Edition ($39.92 SRP), which will include collectible memorabilia such as "The Art of Troy" photo book, behind-the-scenes photos and select pages from the shooting script of the Academy AwardŽ-nominated director (The Perfect Storm, Outbreak, In the Line of Fire, Das Boot). Orders are due for all August 14.

OscarŽ nominee Brad Pitt (Ocean's Thirteen, Twelve Monkeys) brings a dynamic, brooding presence to the role of Greek warrior Achilles in this spectacular retelling of The Iliad. Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Diane Kruger (National Treasure) play the legendary lovers who plunge the world into war, Eric Bana (Munich, Lucky You) portrays the prince who dares to confront Achilles and Peter O'Toole (Venus) rules Troy as King Priam. Director Wolfgang Petersen recreates a long-ago world of warship flotillas, clashing armies, a massive fortress city and the towering Trojan Horse.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

Disc One

Feature Film
Troy Revisited: An Introduction by Wolfgang Petersen
Disc Two

Troy in Focus
In The Thick of the Battle: Discovering how Troy's epic battle sequences were created, from thousands of warrior-extras training in the scorching heat of Mexico, to fierce one-on-one duels to the death
From Ruins to Reality: Exploring how the ruins of ancient Troy were unearthed and how Troy's production design magicians created their own version of this breathtaking, legendary city
Troy: An Effects Odyssey: Secrets of Troy's stunning visual effects are revealed, from conjuring a staggering 1,000 ship armada on the open seas, to producing the bone crunching sound effects of brutal ancient warfare
Attacking Troy
Greek Ship Towing
Theatrical Trailer
Art can be downloaded at www.whvdirect.com.

thursdaynighter
07-09-07, 10:50 AM
Great news for a very good movie! (I know some will disagree)

stingermck
07-09-07, 10:52 AM
WHEW. Almost bought the current HD with BB's sale.

Nick Martin
07-09-07, 11:31 AM
Interesting. I didn't have any problem with Tanja Tzarovska's vocals. I didn't realise they were disliked enough to cut her out of the score entirely.

And do you have a link to the interview, Nick Martin?

Well, I didn't like them that's why I made a customized version of the CD soundtrack.

Here is the original German interview scanned from a magazine:

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/174/blickpunktfilmmaerz07no0.jpg

I was told about what it said regarding the music.

Giles
07-09-07, 11:31 AM
even though I wasn't all that entralled with it in the theatre, I am getting more and more interested in reseeing this.

wennma01
07-09-07, 01:21 PM
i liked this movie alot and am a packaing whore. i'll probably get the Ultimate Collectors Edition

DeputyDave
07-09-07, 01:49 PM
Wow, great price on the two-disc, stand alone (does that mean less than $15 in real world dollars?). I'm glad the Ultimate edition doesn't have any extra content on DVD, so I don't have to beat myself up over which version to buy. I'll only end up eventually chucking all that extra carp anyway.

Maxflier
07-09-07, 02:14 PM
Really wish they would make a version of the Ultimate Collector's Edition for the HD discs...

Temujen
07-09-07, 02:15 PM
A rough translation of main points of the entire article:

Q: Did you already plan the Director's Cut while shooting the movie?

A: The idea came to me while I was cutting the movie. [...] Lenght, violence and nudity were the problems because I had to get a PG-13. I had 'Final Cut' - but if you are the director of a 200M$ movie, you have to make sure that the movie is financially successful. [...] When you have to cut so much, you get very frustrated and angry.

Q: Did you see things during the cutting of the Director's Cut that you didn't realize during the cutting of the theatrical version?

A: Yes, this time we found the right rhythm of the movie - during the cutting of the theatrical version we were under so much pressure that we just cut scenes to get under three hours. It was as if we were on autopilot.

Q: Was every scene changed?

A: There are at least a thousand new cuts - no scene has been left untouched. [...] Silence is very important - I learned that while doing 'Das Boot'. [...]

Q: The music seems to have been changed.

A: It's still the music by James Horner, with the exception of three new short pieces, however it has been completely restructured.

Q: There have been some technical advancements - has anything been updated?

A: The structure, the pacing, the rhythm and the story telling has been changed. It takes it's time and gives the characters more room to breathe. It's an entirely new creation. It has been digitally worked on and it will be screened digitally in cinemas.

Giles
07-09-07, 02:18 PM
A rough translation of main points of the entire article:

Q: Did you already plan the Director's Cut while shooting the movie?

A: The idea came to me while I was cutting the movie. [...] Lenght, violence and nudity were the problems because I had to get a PG-13. I had 'Final Cut' - but if you are the director of a 200M$ movie, you have to make sure that the movie is financially successful. [...] When you have to cut so much, you get very frustrated and angry.

Q: Did you see things during the cutting of the Director's Cut that you didn't realize during the cutting of the theatrical version?

A: Yes, this time we found the right rhythm of the movie - during the cutting of the theatrical version we were under so much pressure that we just cut scenes to get under three hours. It was as if we were on autopilot.

Q: Was every scene changed?

A: There are at least a thousand new cuts - no scene has been left untouched. [...] Silence is very important - I learned that while doing 'Das Boot'. [...]

Q: The music seems to have been changed.

A: It's still the music by James Horner, with the exception of three new short pieces, however it has been completely restructured.

Q: There have been some technical advancements - has anything been updated?

A: The structure, the pacing, the rhythm and the story telling has been changed. It takes it's time and gives the characters more room to breathe. It's an entirely new creation. t has been digitally worked on and it will be screened digitally in cinemas.

DLP - woohoo!

islandclaws
07-09-07, 06:22 PM
I'll probably end up with the Ultimate Edition. I'm a total whore for the best edition of anything I want. I'm hoping the packaging is almost as sweet as the international edition, since I know it won't be <i>as</i> good.

Nick Martin
07-09-07, 07:17 PM
At least you won't be stuck with bilingual packaging that would ruin an otherwise impressive package. Amazon U.S. here I come...:)

RocShemp
07-09-07, 08:48 PM
Lenght, violence and nudity were the problems because I had to get a PG-13.
Whoa there. This movie was originally cut with a PG-13 in mind? In what Universe would all that bloodshed get a PG-13? :hscratch:

Giles
07-09-07, 08:50 PM
At least you won't be stuck with bilingual packaging that would ruin an otherwise impressive package. Amazon U.S. here I come...:)

I bet you anything, Amazon won't have these up for preorder until about 30 days before release like they did with 300

Tom Woodward
07-10-07, 01:15 PM
I've added a number of package shots for the US release here (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/troy8.html)

Space_Monkey
07-10-07, 01:28 PM
I've added a number of package shots for the US release here (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/troy8.html)

Good to see Warner is still releasing HD-DVD cover art without those gray Look and Sound of Perfect swirls obscuring the artwork.

wennma01
07-10-07, 03:31 PM
the regular edition art looks kinda dumb to me...i'll def be picking up the 'Ultimate'(i love me some digipacks and random books that i'll look over once)

Big Worms
07-10-07, 03:37 PM
Damn the Ultimate Collector's Edition is nice! Hate being a hore for packaging since I would want that one and the HD-DVD version.

gryffinmaster
07-10-07, 03:48 PM
The HD-DVD artwork might look much better if those designers would've just cropped out the Ultimate Edition's main focal points and color scheme.

That Ultimate Edition, however, looks outstanding.

PopcornTreeCt
07-10-07, 03:57 PM
Wow, that's really nice. I'm going all out and getting the UE.

PGHFlyer
07-10-07, 05:14 PM
The movie was released R, I don't get the PG-13 concerns in the quotes.

Temujen
07-10-07, 05:27 PM
Maybe they cut the movie for 'PG-13', got an 'R' and then didn't have the time to recut it to a true 'R' version.

I'm not sure if I remember the movie correctly, but I think that there was nothing in it that made it an 'R' movie - they only needed to cut a few seconds from two scenes to turn it into a 'Not under 12' movie in Germany (and we're much harder on violence in movies than the US).

RocShemp
07-11-07, 06:18 PM
No, the theatrical cut was plenty violent. Maybe not as graphic as, say, these torture porn films that are so popular nowadays but Troy did indeed earn its R rating.

fumanstan
07-11-07, 06:45 PM
Damn, i'll probably double dip for this.

RocShemp
07-11-07, 06:58 PM
Same here. Sadly, unless something similar is announced for HD DVD, I may find myself purchasing both the Ultimate Edition DVD and the HD DVD release. Similar to the decision I face with Blade Runner. :(

Dane Marvin
07-11-07, 10:31 PM
I almost bought the existing 2-disc for $5 a couple days ago. Glad I held off -- I'm gonna need that extra $5 to pay for this pricey ultimate edition that I will absolutely have to have. Looks sweet!

Nth Power
07-12-07, 02:55 AM
I'll pick up the Ultimate Edition. I generally liked the theatrical version, so I'm excited for this one.

TylerDurden_73
07-12-07, 04:13 AM
Just the standard two-disc for me.

undrwrldangel24
07-14-07, 12:53 PM
I noticed that it is coming out the same day as "The Whole Bloody Affair", Sept. 18. That is gonna be an expensive Tuesday.

Geofferson
07-14-07, 01:10 PM
UE looks very nice...will probably pick it up.

rednowgreen
07-14-07, 01:30 PM
I noticed that it is coming out the same day as "The Whole Bloody Affair", Sept. 18. That is gonna be an expensive Tuesday.

I believe the Kill Bill set got pushed back till Nov. 6th....rednowgreen

undrwrldangel24
07-14-07, 04:11 PM
I believe the Kill Bill set got pushed back till Nov. 6th....rednowgreen
Really? I didn't here about that. Oh well. At least I can save some money that week :) Thanks for the heads up!

DVD Polizei
07-14-07, 04:37 PM
Das Troy: Direkten Cutten! :banana:

Cameron
07-15-07, 10:49 AM
i keep hoping that warner will put these deluxe sets out on HD-DVD as well. Forbidden planet gave me hope that it would happen, but RIo Bravo and now troy lead me to believe they have shelved that idea

JOE29
09-06-07, 05:21 PM
What's the diffrence between both movies on the new releases ultimate edition vs. the 2 disc edition. The 2 disc edition has a running time of 196 minutes and the ultimate edition doesn't specify how long the movie is. Is there a diffrence in movie times between the two?

Big Worms
09-06-07, 06:55 PM
What's the diffrence between both movies on the new releases ultimate edition vs. the 2 disc edition. The 2 disc edition has a running time of 196 minutes and the ultimate edition doesn't specify how long the movie is. Is there a diffrence in movie times between the two?
The only thing the UE gives you is this:

An Ultimate Collector's Edition will also be available for $39.92, with an additional "Art of Troy" photo book, behind the scenes photos, and select pages from the shooting script of the Academy Award nominated director. HD DVD and Blu-ray releases will also debut simultaneously at $34.99
Other wise the movie and the extras are the same.

Nick Martin
09-06-07, 07:04 PM

Here's the difference, as noted above:
http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2007/7/troypackageshotr1art4.jpg

JOE29
09-07-07, 12:20 PM
Thank you. I'll just get the 2 disc version then. I don't need to pay $10 or so more for extras that i'll never watch anyawy. I still haven't watched all of those extras on the Kingdom of Heaven 4 disc set that was released years ago. Although a excellent movie.

cranberries fan
09-07-07, 12:35 PM
Thank you. I'll just get the 2 disc version then. I don't need to pay $10 or so more for extras that i'll never watch anyawy. I still haven't watched all of those extras on the Kingdom of Heaven 4 disc set that was released years ago. Although a excellent movie.

I now what you mean on Kingdom of Heaven I to have not watch all of the extra features for that.
And the Alien Quad I'm half way thru that one as of now.

Nick Martin
09-07-07, 08:40 PM

I don't know what you mean by that, because the Ultimate Edition in the photo I posted contains that same 2 disc version. The difference is that it's in a bigger more elaborate package with booklets, photos and other collectible stuff. No additional DVDs or anything like that.

mikelowry
09-07-07, 09:59 PM
This is quite interesting. I pre ordered a copy of UCE at amazon.

Premise
09-13-07, 04:14 AM
<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-MwgH5oDgU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed>

Daytripper
09-16-07, 10:53 PM
I've never seen this movie and purchased it after reading the glowing review here on DVD Talk. Am I going to regret the blind buy? :) I heard the orginial verson was just o.k.

Dane Marvin
09-16-07, 11:15 PM
^ It was decent if you like epic historical battle flicks. Definitely worth at least a rental. Reviews are calling this extended cut much better and I will be picking this one up, not having purchased the original 2-disc version.

Jonno2006
09-19-07, 10:32 PM
How come no one's talking about Troy?! It came out Tuesday right? No one got it?

It can't ALL be about Death Proof right? :P

I think i'm gonna double dip this weekend. I love sweet collector's edition and i thought the movie was good.

Nick Martin
09-19-07, 10:34 PM
I've watched the first hour of this new cut so far. A few differences:

Violence is more graphic. More blunt-force impact hits, limbs sliced away, and the levels of blood are much higher.

Occasional flashes of mild nudity, achieved simply by re-framing certain scenes that originally kept that nudity below the frame.

Better character development. Motivations are clearer, people seem to give more thought to their decisions.

So far, It's a better film. Some things seem a little awkward (an inserted scene or two such as one where Achilles seems to mock the gods after beheading the statue of Apollo) and some scenes feature dialogue spoken a little differently, meaning the words are the same, but emphasis and tone of voice are different.

The entire film has been recolored to appear more vibrant and is a vast improvement over the theatrical version visually.

The music....what have they done?

Almost none of the music in the original film is where it should be. It comes across as extremely sloppy with no sense of continuity, and therefore no narrative structure. It just randomly plays from one scene to the next.

Now obviously there was no way to make the music fit extended scenes when the music was so rigidly written (meaning written to fit the theatrical version exactly with no room for changes) but the edits were so poor it called attention to itself too often. The ethnic vocals are gone, (a good thing) but parts of Danny Elfman's "Planet Of The Apes", Basil Poledouris' "Starship Troopers", and Edward Shearmur's "The Count Of Monte Cristo" have been mixed around (again almost randomly) with James Horner's original score, and even Gabriel Yared's rejected music makes an appearance.

Finally, perhaps in response to the endless criticism about the music in the theatrical version being too overpowering, the music plays at a much quieter volume throughout. I'd say at half the volume.

ds6161
09-19-07, 11:47 PM
thankz for the review..
but does the extra stuff make it worth buying?? No one rents the new SE
the Kingdom of Heaven SE was a major change & lifted it to worthy status for me.
but with movies like 300 out now will I watch Troy SE more than once??

also are the disc the same in the 2disc dir cut & the ultimate edt??

Big Worms
09-19-07, 11:57 PM
How come no one's talking about Troy?! It came out Tuesday right? No one got it?

It can't ALL be about Death Proof right? :P

I think i'm gonna double dip this weekend. I love sweet collector's edition and i thought the movie was good.
Everyone is waiting on stupid Warner store to ship their copy. :(

JOE29
09-20-07, 08:12 AM
I did get the Troy 2 disc that was just released. I'm in the process of watching it now. I have noticed extra scenes already, like the previous person has said, the battle scenes are more graphic, heads exploding with arrows and swords is one example. It's a very long movie, over 3 hours, and I just haven't had time to sit down and watch the whole movie yet. I'm about halfway through it but I just haven't had the time yet to sit through it.

TheMovieman
09-20-07, 10:58 AM
I ordered mine through Columbia House (using B1G1 free) but it won't ship until tomorrow. So I won't get it until late next week (if not later).

islandclaws
09-20-07, 12:06 PM
I picked up the UE (if I buy something, it always has to be the most elaborate edition) and, even tohugh I haven't watched it yet, I'm very pleased with the overall package. For $27.99 it's a great deal for this set. I'll probably watch it this weekend once I get some free time.

wennma01
09-21-07, 03:17 PM
is this/will this be available on netflix? I seem to remember adding it to my queue when this was announced, but it seems to have disappeared from my queue and netflix altogether. anyone know what is going on?

ds6161
09-21-07, 03:22 PM
I can't find it for rent anywhere.
4 online & all my local B&M's don't have it.
I was surprised that Blockbuster Online didn't have it. They usually get all the big SE double dips. I use them to see if they are worth buying.
When I used Netflix they never got the double dips.

DJariya
09-21-07, 03:26 PM
I decided to pick up the 2-disc $14.99 version at Best Buy. I really couldn't justify spending the extra 13 bucks for the book, cards and bigger case....Yeah it was nice and all, but I would have preferred a 3rd disc instead.

celmendo
09-22-07, 03:52 AM
Thought it was a much better film. The first time I was bored and annoyed by the end. This wasn't a completely different film by any means but I actually enjoyed it which surprised me since the first time was such a let down.

Still has the biggest problems which really can't be overcome - the awful casting of Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom and whoever that chick was for Helen.

Brad was just wrong. He did a good job but you just yearn for someone great. "The Cousin" relationship was even less vague which actually helped. No half-assed allusions to being "more than". If they couldn't commit to the sexual nature of the relationship, it was better they didn't even try to hint at it. It was just two dudes. It makes his reaction to his death even less credible but somehow worked overall for me.

Helen and Paris WTF?! Who could even begin to care for these two or buy their forbidden love? Poorly written in almost every aspect and horribly acted. They had the chemistry of coma patients sharing an IV. Thankfully their stuff was either trimmed or better edited. I was hating them less this time.

I'd recommend watching it.

Daytripper
09-23-07, 11:25 AM
^ It was decent if you like epic historical battle flicks. Definitely worth at least a rental. Reviews are calling this extended cut much better and I will be picking this one up, not having purchased the original 2-disc version.

Well, I bought it. Started watching it last night and so far think it's pretty bad. The acting is way over the top. And the dialogue is ridiculous and laughable in parts. Such as, when Archilles is asked why he let Hector go when they first invaded. Archilles said "It's too early in the day to kill a prince". Huh!? The cinematography is great. So are the sets. I'm going to finish watching it today, but so far, thumbs down overall. I really wanted to like it. I loved "Gladiator" and "300".

Duder
09-23-07, 12:50 PM
Well, I bought it. Started watching it last night and so far think it's pretty bad. The acting is way over the top. And the dialogue is ridiculous and laughable in parts.

I guess you haven't read The Iliad then. Troy is a pretty damn good adaptation of it, IMHO.

(Add me to the list of those very impressed by the director's cut.)

Dr Mabuse
09-23-07, 01:34 PM
(Add me to the list of those very impressed by the director's cut.)

me too...

my pre-order from amazon showed up friday... even with the free super-saver shipping...

i really liked it... a substantially improved film...

Jonno2006
09-24-07, 03:14 PM
Got me the Ultimate edition last night and boy is the packaging sweet! I love stuff like that. You can see they really put some thought in this edition, great job!

Cool collector packaging is one of the best things for me, and i really don't see this happening with either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. It will always be those really ugly red and blue thin cases with the exact same artwork as the other releases.

This Troy Ultimate edition is EXACTLY why i collect DVDs, sure it has to be a movie i like but to me packaging and as important as the movie itself!

I think i'd kill myself before having shelves full of thin little red or blue boxes.

philip74
09-24-07, 03:50 PM
ok we get the point :)

TheNightFlier
09-24-07, 04:44 PM
Got around to watching it last night. I enjoyed it more than the theatrical cut.

Buckleyesque
11-20-07, 03:42 AM
I think the best thing about this set is the packaging, for sure. Brad Pitt is not an actor, sorry. I think even the TV Movie 'Helen of Troy' was more emotionally moving than this...

mikelowry
11-20-07, 08:11 AM
Yeah , the packaging is really impresive. The Director's Cut is quite an improvement to the theatrical version.

MrDs10e
11-20-07, 11:44 AM
Love the set. Actually didn't feel much of a difference from the theatrical cut. changes were pretty subtle IMO other than the color palette change, which was a bit striking. Liked the theatrical cut, liked the Director's Cut. "Brad Pitt is not an actor" is a ludicrous statement.

crazyrabbits
11-24-07, 04:24 PM
I bought this today, and I have to tell you, I'm very impressed. The packaging is beautiful, the photos are great, and the extra art book are nice, but I can't read half the notes written in the script excerpts. Otherwise, this is one heck of a nice set, and at $30 bucks at HMV, I couldn't resist.

VoreLord
11-24-07, 10:22 PM
This new version is better, but that's not saying too much really. I really wanted to like this film, but in the end it was just a long, boring watch. I'm not sure what would have improved it. It seemed to already have a lot going for it as far as talent and production.