Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Most annoying TV show theme song?

Snowmaker
02-11-07, 08:48 PM
Just wondering what some you you think is the most annoying TV theme song, past or present.

Reason I ask is, between yesterday and today I've watched 8 episodes of season 3 of Entourage and have gotten to the point where I have to mute it each time an episode starts.

Jason
02-11-07, 09:34 PM
I don't remember thinking it was annoying at the time it was new, but I cannot stand hearing the theme song to The Jeffersons any more.

DeadLamb
02-11-07, 09:49 PM
For this season, for me at least, it's the reworked and now slower version at the start of Veronica Mars. I keep waiting for it ramp and up nothing..

The Smurf theme over all still sort of grates on me..

best is still Magnum PI or maybe Miami Vice.. Buffy's is pretty good too.. I'm not really a fan of theme songs with lyrics..

Rogue588
02-11-07, 09:51 PM
Lost, Heroes or any other show with the annoying trend of having a 10 second collage of sounds that's supposed to represent a "theme"...

IDrinkMolson
02-11-07, 11:55 PM
Enterprise.

A Star Trek show with a theme song?!

The Cow
02-11-07, 11:57 PM
Gimme a break! - Nell Carter

Rogue588
02-12-07, 12:02 AM
A Star Trek show with a theme song?!You mean
Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.:p

Snowmaker
02-12-07, 12:04 AM
Enterprise.

They all have theme songs.

DVDChris
02-12-07, 12:43 AM
I can't stand American Idol's theme song.

Daytripper
02-12-07, 12:43 AM
"The King of Queens" theme song makes me cringe every time. Funny show though.

IDrinkMolson
02-12-07, 12:47 AM
They all have theme songs.

I meant with words.

SexualPudding
02-12-07, 01:20 AM
"The King of Queens" theme song makes me cringe every time. Funny show though.

I have to second this one. It seems like they went out of their way to make it as cheesy and awful as possible.

Gizmo
02-12-07, 01:30 AM
Dawsons Creek...the NEW theme song that replaced the original one. Makes me want to kill.

Draven
02-12-07, 02:21 AM
Gilmore Girls.

We don't watch the show anymore, but I literally watched the show for at least 5 years and never once sat through the theme song. I can't say that about any other show. I've only gotten through the first few words.

DieselsDen
02-12-07, 02:49 AM
Friends.

Oh, dear God, yes! Can't stand the song (also can't stand the show).

I also hated the whimpy lyrics and melody to FAMILY TIES, especially that
"sha-la-la-la" ending.

Never liked the theme song to SMALLVILLE. It's Superman, fer chrissake...His theme should be majestic and classic. Why capitulate to throwaway pop standards? Heck, the SUPERBOY theme was better. (Well, maybe not...)

The TAXI theme, while fitting, always depressed me.

But most haunting of all was the theme to IN SEARCH OF (with Leonard Nimoy)...Spooked the hell out of me.

Nick Martin
02-12-07, 03:07 AM
Boston Legal.

'bow, bow, budda baw-baw bad-ow, bow! All-right!'

Terrible!

To think that crap came from the same composer who wrote the fantastic Season 3/season 4 SLIDERS themes...

kenbuzz
02-12-07, 07:52 AM
Gilmore Girls.

We don't watch the show anymore, but I literally watched the show for at least 5 years and never once sat through the theme song. I can't say that about any other show. I've only gotten through the first few words.Heh, my wife was just admitting to me last week that she doesn't know why but she LOVES the GG theme. Maybe it's an X-chromosone thing?

starman9000
02-12-07, 08:09 AM
I really dislike the Firefly and Buffy themes, even though i like the shows.

I'm not sure if its the theme, but that song they use for promos for Bones is very irritating.

cmcbruins
02-12-07, 08:17 AM
Alf
A-Team
Mr. Belvedere

Brian Shannon
02-12-07, 08:17 AM
Monday Night Football. Absolutely cannot stand it.

Septemberbaby
02-12-07, 09:05 AM
Boston Legal.

'bow, bow, budda baw-baw bad-ow, bow! All-right!'

Terrible!

To think that crap came from the same composer who wrote the fantastic Season 3/season 4 SLIDERS themes...

Boston Legal here too.
Not only because of what you mentioned but also the way it goes right into a scene..it's very hard to ff through it. Drives me nuts!

chrisih8u
02-12-07, 09:59 AM
Monday Night Football. Absolutely cannot stand it.

I hate Sunday Night football's even more.

Giantrobo
02-12-07, 10:33 AM
Will & Grace

That fast piano piece is annoying and catchy at the same time. :lol:

TimeandTide
02-12-07, 10:42 AM
This one is easy.

The Apprentice.

HATE.

JPRaup
02-12-07, 10:44 AM
Damn, I like Entourage's. I can't really think of any I hate except for American Idol

fernsita
02-12-07, 10:47 AM
the heroes one pisses me off.

Ayre
02-12-07, 11:55 AM
What about Brian. Just a horrible pop song without any hooks.

wergo
02-12-07, 01:36 PM
Worst theme song on TV right now is 'The L Word.'

I own all six seasons of 'Gilmore Girls' and I don't believe I've made it through the theme song without skipping to the next chapter even once. It's just an awful song. Sorry. Glad I'm not the only one, though.

Damfino
02-12-07, 01:43 PM
My vote for worst ever goes to The Outer Limits. It also qualifies as the best show with the worst theme.

Bronkster
02-12-07, 01:44 PM
Three's Company - I hated the show anyway, but I think the theme song had a lot to do with it.

Daytripper
02-12-07, 01:56 PM

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Yes yes YES! I'm going to have to say this is quite possibly the worst TV theme song ever.

And to whoever mentioned the revamped "Veronica Mars" song, also correct. Way to fuck up a great original. There was no need for that.

Chew
02-12-07, 02:39 PM
Enterprise.

I hate nearly all the music on Boston Legal, including the theme song. I've just gotten to the point where I blank it out.

Eplicon
02-12-07, 03:20 PM
I couldn't stand NBC sitcoms back in the '80s, so:

Diff'rent Strokes
The Facts of Life
Silver Spoons

I also can't stand Gloria Loring's singing.

Speaking of Gilmore Girls, I actually find the use of the "la-la-la" cue that's heard during a transitional scene in literally every show more annoying than the title song.

Jadzia
02-12-07, 03:21 PM

I own all six seasons of 'Gilmore Girls' and I don't believe I've made it through the theme song without skipping to the next chapter even once. It's just an awful song. Sorry. Glad I'm not the only one, though.

WORD and word.

And to whoever mentioned the revamped "Veronica Mars" song, also correct. Way to fuck up a great original. There was no need for that.

I like the re-mixed version better. :shrug:

Giantrobo
02-12-07, 03:34 PM
Enterprise.

Noooo!!! I light a lighter and sway back and forth to the beat like Lesbian at Lilith Fair everytime it's on. :(

DVDChris
02-12-07, 04:19 PM
I actually quite like the L Word theme song.

taa455
02-12-07, 04:29 PM
Of the theme songs I'm familiar with, I would have to say Friends and King of Queens are the most annoying.

I remember the old Family Matters song being very annoying back in the day.

Turd Ferguson
02-12-07, 06:12 PM
"Friends" hands down.

bunkaroo
02-12-07, 06:22 PM
Malcolm In The Middle. I will kill the people who sang that on site. And I don't even watch the show, but it always winds up on my TV right after the Simpsons end at 5:30.

Dan1boy
02-12-07, 06:56 PM
Beverly Hills 90210

Seriously. Gag me with a spoon.

cultshock
02-12-07, 07:07 PM
"It's Garry Shandling's Show". I know the theme was intentionally meant to be really stupid, but boy did they succeed. :lol:

CreatureX
02-12-07, 07:17 PM
Top Design on Bravo. Annoying! :hairpull:

SexualPudding
02-12-07, 07:23 PM
What about Brian. Just a horrible pop song without any hooks.

Ah, yes. That is definitely a shitty one. "I'm calling allll friends..." Whoever thought that one up needs to be slapped.

Andalusia
02-12-07, 09:53 PM
"It's Garry Shandling's Show". I know the theme was intentionally meant to be really stupid, but boy did they succeed. :lol:

I know this thread is subjective and there are no "wrong answers"... BUT YOU'RE WRONG!! -ptth-

astrochimp
02-12-07, 10:49 PM
Beverly Hills 90210

Seriously. Gag me with a spoon.

Good call :up:

Nick Martin
02-12-07, 11:14 PM

What's interesting about the whole Veronica Mars theme song thing is that in a recent interview (on the Television Without Pity website) VM creator Rob Thomas wanted the season 3 credit sequence and theme to be for the whole series, but couldn't for the first two seasons. That noir-type feeling was the original intent from the beginning, and he never liked the high school notebook-type credits.

Here's a link to the interview (though it was probably linked in a VM thread sometime before anyway)

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/articles/content/a12755/

Daytripper
02-12-07, 11:49 PM
I actually quite like the L Word theme song.

Ugh!

The L Word Theme Song Lyrics

by Betty

Girls in tight dresses
Who drag with moustaches

Chicks driving fast
Ingenues with long lashes.

Women who long love lust
Women who give.

This is the way
it's the way that we live.

Talking, laughing, loving, breathing
Fighting, fucking, crying, drinking
Writing, winning, losing, cheating
Kissing, thinking, dreaming.

This is the way
it's the way that we live

It's the way that we live
And Love.............

JIF
02-13-07, 12:08 AM
At first, I disliked ENTERPRISE's Faith of the Heart, but it grew on me....until they included that awful acoustic guitar in the 3rd season.

But the first show I thought of when I saw this thread was ALICE. As a kid, I couldn't get over Linda Lavin's loud and obnoxious theme, "There's a New Girl in Town."

DVDChris
02-13-07, 12:16 AM
Ugh!

The L Word Theme Song Lyrics

by Betty

Girls in tight dresses
Who drag with moustaches

Chicks driving fast
Ingenues with long lashes.

Women who long love lust
Women who give.

This is the way
it's the way that we live.

Talking, laughing, loving, breathing
Fighting, fucking, crying, drinking
Writing, winning, losing, cheating
Kissing, thinking, dreaming.

This is the way
it's the way that we live

It's the way that we live
And Love.............

I know, aren't they great? When I hear the theme, I get excited to watch the show. Plus the girls look pretty hot during the theme too.

Michael Corvin
02-13-07, 12:42 AM
somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!!!!!!!!!!!! from the Smallville theme song. It was good in season 1, now at season 6 they are pushing it.

nateman
02-13-07, 03:31 AM
-the new ER theme, i can't believe they got rid of a classic theme. NBC always fucks up somehow.

-Friends-god awful show, god awful song.

-Three's company-come and knock on our door......... cheesy.

& whats with all the hate for the king of queens theme, im the only one who seems to like it, i admit it is cheesy through.

SexualPudding
02-13-07, 04:13 AM
-the new ER theme, i can't believe they got rid of a classic theme. NBC always fucks up somehow.

-Friends-god awful show, god awful song.

-Three's company-come and knock on our door......... cheesy.

& whats with all the hate for the king of queens theme, im the only one who seems to like it, i admit it is cheesy through.

For me, the cheese aspect is what makes it so annoying. It is just too over the top in regards to the whole "ultra blue collar every day working class schmuck" angle with Doug. The show itself is also guilty of this a lot of the time, I feel. I know that is more or less the whole point, but sometimes it comes across as just too much. The part in the intro song where Billy Vera sings "my back is gettin' tight..." just makes me cringe for some reason. It smacks of some lame ass commercial for a pain reliever that would have aired in the 80's or something.

Bill Needle
02-13-07, 05:45 PM
That's the first one that popped to mind for me as well, but I can also second Three's Company.

DRG
02-13-07, 05:52 PM
I have to agree with Gilmore Girls and The Apprentice. One is just awful and sappy, the other is just annoying to me for some reason.

I also despise the Law & Order theme, which is odd because I actually love a lot of the older Mike Post themes.

starman9000
02-13-07, 05:56 PM
somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!!!!!!!!!!!! from the Smallville theme song. It was good in season 1, now at season 6 they are pushing it.

That one gets really annoying when watching through the season sets.

Daytripper
02-13-07, 10:49 PM
The song for "Dirt" is quite awful. Thankfully it's only like 8 seconds long.

Ranger
02-13-07, 11:16 PM
I think the unit theme could be better.

Kittydreamer
02-13-07, 11:24 PM
I don't know...I always skip through them since I only watch TiVo'd shows. Although I must admit to really enjoying the opening songs for Enterprise and Angel. :D

redskull
02-13-07, 11:36 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the "Walker: Texas Ranger" theme that Chuck himself sang, er... "spoke."

He must be a very powerful man indeed to somehow coerce CBS into letting him squawk his own theme song.

Nick Martin
02-14-07, 12:00 AM
I don't know...I always skip through them since I only watch TiVo'd shows. Although I must admit to really enjoying the opening songs for Enterprise and Angel. :D

The ANGEL theme DOES NOT BELONG IN THIS THREAD!!!!

lawyer goodwill
02-14-07, 12:57 AM
For me, the cheese aspect is what makes it so annoying. It is just too over the top in regards to the whole "ultra blue collar every day working class schmuck" angle with Doug. The show itself is also guilty of this a lot of the time, I feel. I know that is more or less the whole point, but sometimes it comes across as just too much. The part in the intro song where Billy Vera sings "my back is gettin' tight..." just makes me cringe for some reason. It smacks of some lame ass commercial for a pain reliever that would have aired in the 80's or something.
LOL. I love the show and the evidence is there for me to agree with you about the theme song, but everytime I watch this show with family, we all start singing along in that "lame ass commercial" kinda way (getting serious ham points delivering the "back is tight" lyrics). I dunno, I guess the tune has grown on me.

DieselsDen
04-04-07, 01:37 AM
At first, I disliked ENTERPRISE's Faith of the Heart, but it grew on me....until they included that awful acoustic guitar in the 3rd season.

But the first show I thought of when I saw this thread was ALICE. As a kid, I couldn't get over Linda Lavin's loud and obnoxious theme, "There's a New Girl in Town."

Oh, jeez...I thought I put out that damned ALICE theme song out of my head. Now it's back to haunt me. Linda Lavin's singing was so bad, I thought it was a joke - an attempt to inject introductory humor in this otherwise below average show. Even worse when they tried to jazz up the instrumentals and change the lyrics years later. God. I'm having Vietnam-like flashbacks.

madcougar
04-04-07, 09:40 AM
Ba! I can't read three pages of responses... the correct answer it "Charles in Charge."

boogieman03
04-04-07, 09:51 AM
I'm glad Grey's Anatomy did away with their song and just went to the quick title screen.

korro
11-24-11, 11:12 PM
The most tv themes are: Beverley Hills 90210(it's sooooo irritating) and the show "Dinosaurs", these are two theme songs I cannot stand, they are so stupid.

antspawn
11-24-11, 11:26 PM
All In The Family

Norm de Plume
11-24-11, 11:43 PM
I don't watch any of these shows, but can't help but occasionally catch an auricular whiff of their irritating theme songs: CSI, Law & Order, Two and a Half Men.

Michael Corvin
11-25-11, 12:02 AM
I don't watch any of these shows, but can't help but occasionally catch an auricular whiff of their irritating theme songs: CSI, Law & Order, Two and a Half Men.

-screwy- The Who irritating? Does. Not. Compute.

JumpCutz
11-25-11, 01:45 AM
-screwy- The Who irritating? Does. Not. Compute.

Well to be fair, it's one of their lesser tunes, and it's been absolutely ruined by association to that crappy TV show.

Norm de Plume
11-25-11, 01:49 AM
Well to be fair, it's one of their lesser tunes, and it's been absolutely ruined by association to that crappy TV show.
That's right. It doesn't belong.

Charlie Goose
11-25-11, 07:49 AM
The Jetsons

Mad About You

RocShemp
11-25-11, 10:37 AM
To this day, no theme irritates me more than the one to Smallville.

Michael Corvin
11-25-11, 12:23 PM
To this day, no theme irritates me more than the one to Smallville.

:lol: The opening credit sequence, on the flip side, was one of the best on tv.

RocShemp
11-25-11, 12:27 PM
:lol: The opening credit sequence, on the flip side, was one of the best on tv.

That's true. The opening titles were great but that song was the purest form of crap ever recorded.

DJariya
11-25-11, 12:45 PM
I actually like "Save Me" That is one of the very few title sequences I watch without fast forwarding it.

I also own both Smallville soundtracks, which are great.

Brooklyn
11-25-11, 01:31 PM
Ba! I can't read three pages of responses... the correct answer it "Charles in Charge."

I was reading through the replies to see if anyone had posted the correct answer before doing so myself, and you had.

the big train
11-25-11, 06:12 PM
Bones

I hate a lot of the new themes networks have for football coverage.

I've never liked the NFL on Fox theme but I think it's so iconic that they should never change it.

HATE the most recent NFL on CBS theme. They had two AMAZING themes they rolled out in the 80s and 90s and they abandoned the 90s one for that E.S. Posthumus bullshit.

I also hate the Big & Rich crap they use as the College Gameday theme. The full version of the anthem they used in the earlier days of the show was awesome.

davidh777
11-25-11, 06:17 PM
I actually like "Save Me" That is one of the very few title sequences I watch without fast forwarding it.

+1, and not just because it always had Erica Durance in some gratuitous cheesecake shot :D

Smallville was also one of the few shows I can think of that stuck with its opening song when most others were dropping them.

movielib
11-25-11, 08:07 PM
I hated when they replaced the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" on Big Love with a bland nothing theme. Furthermore, the "ice skating" opening sequence was one of my favorites of all time while the "falling" thing did nothing for me.

TGM
11-25-11, 08:21 PM
not sure about annoying... but the best, hands down:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EBLRM0xgnUM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

runner up:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2l3a7lsEgFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikehunt
11-25-11, 08:45 PM
Enterprise.

while I didn't hate that song, the theme played during the end credits should have been used in the opening

Josh-da-man
11-25-11, 09:06 PM
You mean

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.
:p

The only reason the Star Trek theme has lyrics is because Gene Roddenberry scribbled out a bunch of gibberish so Alexander Courage would have to split the song writing royalties with him.

Or so I've heard.

KaBluie
11-27-11, 11:12 AM
The Golden Palace with a really awful remake of the Golden Girls Theme.

MoviePage
11-27-11, 12:21 PM

This is what I opened this thread to post.

Jason
11-27-11, 01:52 PM
I really think Two and a Half Men needs added to this list.

pelenor
11-27-11, 05:55 PM
Not annoying but I think one of the best:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5MXblTarOUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lamphorn
11-28-11, 05:17 AM
2 and a Half Men

DRG
11-28-11, 01:45 PM
With the bump I'd have to add Boardwalk Empire. I don't necessarily hate the music on its own merits -- it's more generic than anything and feels more like something for one of those HBO promotional ads. It's such an awful fit for the show. I know the anachronism was the point and they didn't just want to use period music, but my problem is more with the tone of it.

Double_Oh_7
11-28-11, 04:35 PM
Not annoying but I think one of the best:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5MXblTarOUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So then this belongs in a "BEST TV show theme song" thread? :shrug: